• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brendan Dassey (Making A Murderer) has release blocked by Federal appeals court

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was due to be released by Friday of this week.

KIi5Wn4.jpg

AP said:
A federal appeals court has ruled that a Wisconsin inmate featured in the Netflix series "Making a Murderer" must remain behind bars even though his conviction has been overturned.

Brendan Dassey was convicted in 2007 of raping and killing Teresa Halbach and sentenced to life in prison. A federal judge in August overturned his conviction, saying investigators coerced him into confessing. State attorneys have appealed that ruling.

The judge on Wednesday ordered Dassey released from prison by 8 p.m. Friday. The state Justice Department asked the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in an emergency motion to block the release.

A three-judge panel of the appeal's court on Thursday agreed to block Dassey's release, pending the resolution of the appeal.

This is absolutely absurd.

Yup. Whatever your thoughts on Steven, Brendan was unjustly treated and essentially abused for having a lower IQ than normal and learning difficulties.

I wanted to punch my TV in that scene where they had to explain to him what a basic word meant (I forget which one) while they were railroading him.

Audioboxer

A federal appeals court has ruled that a Wisconsin inmate featured in the Netflix series "Making a Murderer" must remain behind bars even though his conviction has been overturned.

The Justice Department filed an emergency motion with the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals Wednesday asking it to block the release, arguing Dassey's confession was voluntary and that the 27-year-old inmate poses a danger to society.

Brendan Dassey was convicted in 2007 of raping and killing Teresa Halbach and sentenced to life in prison. A federal judge in August overturned his conviction, saying investigators coerced him into confessing. State attorneys have appealed that ruling.
A three-judge panel of the appeal's court on Thursday agreed to block Dassey's release, pending the resolution of the appeal.

https://apnews.com/d04b3355e5774d53...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Hazmat

I wanted to punch my TV in that scene where they had to explain to him what a basic word meant (I forget which one) while they were railroading him.

What I still can't shake is that after the detectives badgered him into saying that he helped kill her, he thought he was going back to school. He had no idea what he had just said.

I was hoping he'd be home for Thanksgiving.

Audioboxer

Can someone with a bit more knowledge of the American legal systems explain it to a dumb Brit how this was overturned? So a judge clears him for release and then I'm guessing it was state power that overturned that decision?

Posting in this thread as well; but its fucked up. I can't honestly comment on Steven's case, but Brendan was fucked over by practically everyone and it seems like he'll be continued to be fucked over. I really hope that some good news develops and season 2 of Making a Murderer has at least something positive.

How can this happen? In the UK when a judge says something, that's it. How can people just go against the ruling of a judge? It could just go in circles forever. Can he (Brendan) appeal their appeal to block his release?

trejo

Well if I knew I had fucked up a kid's life so badly that it would cost me millions should he ever get out of jail maybe I would be desperately doing everything in my power to make sure he rots inside forever just as they are doing right now.

Fucking pricks.

Dalek

Jesus Christ these people are just sick. A fuck up was made-everyone knows. Own up to it and let this man live his life.

Well if I knew I had fucked up a kid's life so badly that it would cost me millions should he ever get out of jail maybe I would be desperately doing everything in my power to make sure he rots inside forever just as they are doing right now.

Fucking pricks.

This is basically exactly what's happening.

Audioboxer

More from the link above

Attorneys for a Wisconsin inmate featured in the Netflix series "Making a Murderer" say they're disappointed that a federal appeals court has blocked his release from prison.

Dassey's attorneys posted a statement online saying they were "disappointed more than words can say" with the appellate decision.

Just terrible. The coerced confession in MaM was one of the toughest things I've ever watched. I had a long talk with my son about what to do when the police or lawyers try to talk with him without his mother or I around after watching that.

Sickening.

TS-08

How can this happen? In the UK when a judge says something, that's it. How can people just go against the ruling of a judge? It could just go in circles forever. Can he (Brendan) appeal their appeal to block his release?

Because judges with superior authority have stayed the ruling pending an appeal of the lower court's decision that they will hear.

Hazmat

Just terrible. The coerced confession in MaM was one of the toughest things I've ever watched. I had a long talk with my son about what to do when the police or lawyers try to talk with him without his mother or I around after watching that.

Sickening.

What's terrible is that his mom was there and waiting for him in the police station. She gave them permission to talk to him alone. So, either she also let him down or the police took advantage of two people, probably a little of both.

What's terrible is that his mom was there and waiting for him in the police station. She gave them permission to talk to him alone. So, either she also let him down or the police took advantage of two people, probably a little of both.

it's called taking advantage of poor uneducated people who don't know what's best for them in legal situations, law enforcement do it all the time to get convictions when they need it

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Who are the State attorneys that put in this appeal. Why doesn't the article name them. The internet can be outraged all it wants but atleast lets try to direct our outrage at the shitstains that did this to him.

Who are the State attorneys that put in this appeal. Why doesn't the article name them. The internet can be outraged all it wants but atleast lets try to direct our outrage at the shitstains that did this to him.
The ruling represents a win for Wisconsin Attorney General Brad Schimel, who had fought the release.

Now 27, Dassey was set to be freed under the supervision of the US Probation Office, but Schimel filed a motion Tuesday seeking a stay of US Magistrate Judge William Duffin's decision to release Dassey pending the appeal of his 2007 murder conviction.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/us/making-murderer-court-blocks-brendan-dassey-release/index.html

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
There's still hope though, right?

This release was supposed to be while waiting for his main release appeal to come through, at least from my understanding. Or was everything thrown away? :(

This is NOT the way to do things. Please be respectful for Brendan's sake.

No? Keeping quiet, being complacent, and letting people get away with evil and unjust things is the better way to do it?

Ayumi

No? Keeping quiet, being complacent, and letting people get away with evil and unjust things is the better way to do it?
No no, feel free to tweet him, I'm just saying, he's already gotten death threats/wishes, which I personally think is unnecessary. I'm all up for some shittweeting though, just not death threats (I browsed the tweets at him and saw some disturbing stuff).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom