• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British PM Theresa May Brexit Speech 17th January 2017 at 11:45AM GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right so from BJ's quote I need to infer in my own head that:

He's talking about films, not WW2 as he actually stated.
Specifically Nazi films, not films with Japanese, Italians, Russians, specifically Nazi.
From there I've got to think about the Great Escape.

Now I can get offended?

Is this how it really works?

Beating this to death, but BoJo's explicit comment was, and I quote:
'in the manner of some world war two movie'

He is not referring to the historical event we refer to as World War Two, but how it has been commonly and most memorably depicted in cinema. In particular, the action cited is that of an escape, which in the context of world war two movies is almost certainly from a prison camp of some sort. The single most iconic instance of this - to the point it has been parodied with claymation chickens - is the film The Great Escape. Despite its American origins, the film is one of the most instantly recognisable in British pop culture, and is undoubtedly the sort of thing that Boris Johnson would be referencing here.

So yes, he is comparing the French response to Nazis punishing escaping prisoners. That is blindingly obvious to anyone who understands the reference. Now, whether or not he means it for all the seriousness of the potential connections, like Churchill calling the Labour party the Gestapo, is another matter entirely, because this is Boris Johnson we're talking about.

Common sense and anecdotal evidence. If you accept that some people voted to leave with the expectation of a soft Brexit, then it follows automatically. I don't know what that fraction is, but it doesn't need to be that small before you have a majority of people not wanting what we see now - hard Brexit - given how slim the margin of victory was for leave. To say otherwise you'd have to believe that everyone who voted leave was all in for hard Brexit, and anyone who wanted soft Brexit voted to remain. Do you believe that?

No. But you said "a fraction". I mean yeah, technically 99/100 is a fraction but typically when deployed rhetorically it means a small fraction, and you specifically said a fraction of leave voters, not of everyone. Thus I was asking where you got that. As it happens - as is often the way - my dear Scottish pal kmag delivered the goods. For future reference though, you could have just replied "not really".

Scotland is a nation. The UK is, or is meant to be at least, a union of nations. Sunderland is not a nation. Practically, yes there's little difference given the lack of protection of that fact in the UK "constitution", but culturally that's how Scotland identifies itself. You might not like, or understand it but that doesn't change the perception up here.

In terms of Leavers/Remainers attitutes. YouGov had the following this week

Brexit%20priorities-01.jpg

Hard Brexit which is what we're getting at 39% percent. Soft/No Brexit at 48%, usual caveats about YouGov apply.

Thanks for the graph, interesting.

As for what this country is "meant to be" it's pretty flexible. Yeah, it's a union of nations, which means it has nations but, uh, it's a union. The people of Scotland voted to remain in that union, and then that union voted to leave the EU (and foreign trade, immigration etc has always been a centralised aspect of the UK). So in this context I think the distinction between Scotland as a nation and Sunderland as a city isn't significant.

We are all just peas in a red, white and blue pod, my ginger, freckled brother.

kmag

Raising Interest rates will do what its designed to do which is reduce the rate of growth and encourage more saving.

Those on the cliff edge will be pushed off. Here's the rub, no matter which economic lever gets pulled, there will always be those on the cliff edge that get pushed off due to it.

The issue which you glibly ignore is that there are an extremely high number of households on the cliff edge, and this better than expected economic performance is almost entirely predicated on them still having access to and utilising absurdly cheap credit. It's a standard debt fueled bubble, but it's compounded by the remnants of the 2008 crash and now this nonsense both of which will magnify the effects greatly. We've been through the cycle before, it looks like we're just about to hit the peak (or just have given the expected slowdown) which means the floor is right around the corner.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yes they need to change, but leaving is not the correct way to go.

And with UK gone I guess it can become easier.

Cant see that being the case at all.

Who else is in the same economic bracket as France and Germany once the UK leaves? The EU is not a confederation of equals; its not going to be difficult to argue that whats in the best interests for the two biggest member economies is also best for the continent as a whole.

fanboi

Banned

Who else is in the same economic bracket as France and Germany once the UK leaves? The EU is not a confederation of equals; its not going to be difficult to argue that whats in the best interests for the two biggest member economies is also best for the continent as a whole.

Didn't uk stop a lot of reforms from happening? Firmly against a EU army etc? I might be wrong.

Plus they where treated as a special snowflake

Audioboxer

I think we can all agree Toblerones changing their size is the worst thing that has happened. I recently bought one from a pound store, and I don't use this term often as it's often misused, but I was 'triggered' to say the least. Still enjoyed it and it was still only £1. But damn, the new design is terrible.

Jisgsaw

Italy?

Audioboxer

I think he's being sarcastic. Surely he means the fact Freddos are now 30p.

I forgot about that. Scandal. But yeah of course. It just goes to show the ludicrous statements from the likes of Boris. Enacting World War 2 sentiment is almost as in-line with outrage over Toblerone sizes. It's utter nonsense and smoke screens. Although there is a genuine debate to be had about corporations taking advantage of Brexit hysteria. I have no doubt the pound tanking hurts them, but they're always looking for excuses to shrink sizes of products when they struggle to get away with putting up prices.

Watching brexit supporters post factually incorrect nonsense, non answers, cop outs and posting stuff like "I just bought a house so everything's gravy", is just the last year in a nutshell.

Not to mention that before the referendum, the leave campaign were calling the prospect of leaving the single market as lies and project fear from the remain camp.

Yet here we are, now 100% set to leave he single market, something everyone from Farage to th head of the leave campaign all said was not part of leaving the EU.

Before referendum

Remain:
But we'll have to leave the single market which is quite advantageous for us.

Leave:
Project fear! Liars! Nobody is talking about leaving the single market. Only a mad person would consider leaving the single market. Norway is not part of the EU but is part of the single market! Why can't we be?

After referendum

Remain:
So you're taking us out of the single market, which is quite advantageous for us......You said we would have to lea-

Leave:
DUH? Of course we are. We've been saying hat from the start! We SPECIFICALLY told the public that we were going o be leaving the single market. They knew what they were voting for! Stop remoaning!

It's just......interesting........isnt it?

Even more interesting is the belief we've been successfully (in the grand scheme) been given that we're going to throw away the already special deal we had in the EU, leave the EU, weaken it for everyone else left while also denouncing it on an international stage.

Then put all the power into the hands of the 27 other countries we've just dragged regarding the deal we can have, when they were probably already jealous of the special deal they originally gave us, which we just screwed up and chucked in the bin.

Why do we think we're going to get a better deal than the other cuntries have, when the other countries are the ones who are going to be deciding?

UK: I will no longer be contributing to your club financially. Your club is shit and we don't want you lot coming over here either. I've unfriended you on Facebook and put up on my wall that you are a corrupt bunch of Nazis and your club is a failure. BTW, I hope we can work out a way for me to keep using your members only "special deals" card. It's so awesome.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Soon, the global Freddo supply will crash and everyone will be desperately stockpiling rare Freddos.

Leave:
Project fear! Liars! Nobody is talking about leaving the single market. Only a mad person would consider leaving the single market. Norway is not part of the EU but is part of the single market! Why can't we be?

Leave:
DUH? Of course we are. We've been saying hat from the start! We SPECIFICALLY told the public that we were going o be leaving the single market. They knew what they were voting for! Stop remoaning!
Yeah, this was funny at first but now it's just got a bit too far. It's amazing how I see people who voted Brexit suddenly switching on the single market now they've got their marching orders. It's amazing how thick - or disingenuous - the British electorate can be.

Sometimes it feels like we're getting close to being like America where we just don't care whats said, done or happens once we've picked a side and have to continually support that side.

I get that we've always been close enough to that, with people largely ignoring policy and just voting the way they always have done but at least most Tory voters - if asked - would be upset at the idea of privatizing parts of the NHS, cutting disability benefit, etc...

I don't know what annoys me more, actually.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The fate of the world will be decided by Freddo vs. Pepe.

Frog Fractions 2 was a prophecy.

Audioboxer

Hahahaha... Never made the connection of Freddo to Pepe till now. The alt-right knew of the one true God. Praise be to Pepe.

cries internally

Vagabundo

Errr.

What?

Daily Mail regularly exercises the mental gymnastics needed to infer that though, they are used to it.Are some saying that they agree with the Daily Mail now?

There is a triple somersault double twist into a landing and then there is a forward roll, both are technically gymnastics. I suppose if you are an octogenarian then both are impossible.

If I was at my PC I would be madly tracking Freddo's head onto that Farage gif.

Actually, I'm at an airport with an hour and a half til my flight to Trumptopia and I'm half drunk. Can I do it on my laptop?!

OK, the dream is over. I can't use Nuke because I can't access our license server and AFX doesn't wanna know about this gif, and I'm not bothered enough to find a workaround. Instead, have this, which I found on the internet:

dJZtHcZ.jpg

Ah, your invitation to the inauguration came through!

Exactly! I mean, I'm going to NY and he's gonna be in DC, but I can hang around Trump Tower... I guess?

Audioboxer

If I was at my PC I would be madly tracking Freddo's head onto that Farage gif.

Actually, I'm at an airport with an hour and a half til my flight to Trumptopia and I'm half drunk. Can I do it on my laptop?!

Don't be such a cuck, and praise the almighty kek. Or something like that. I'm never sure how to use their lingo. Have a good flight!

The people of Scotland voted to remain in that union, and then that union voted to leave the EU (and foreign trade, immigration etc has always been a centralised aspect of the UK). So in this context I think the distinction between Scotland as a nation and Sunderland as a city isn't significant.

They voted to remain in a union that was part of the EU. Two of the key points for the No to Independence campaign was they would remain a member of the EU and be part of a stable economy. The previous independence referendum should be null and void at this point. It's like having the terms and conditions of a contract changed after you've signed.

I think we can all agree Toblerones changing their size is the worst thing that has happened. I recently bought one from a pound store, and I don't use this term often as it's often misused, but I was 'triggered' to say the least. Still enjoyed it and it was still only £1. But damn, the new design is terrible.
It's always been terrible . As the great Mr Connolly once pointed out " A sweety that hurts you !!! "

RenditMan

Banned
The issue which you glibly ignore is that there are an extremely high number of households on the cliff edge, and this better than expected economic performance is almost entirely predicated on them still having access to and utilising absurdly cheap credit. It's a standard debt fueled bubble, but it's compounded by the remnants of the 2008 crash and now this nonsense both of which will magnify the effects greatly. We've been through the cycle before, it looks like we're just about to hit the peak (or just have given the expected slowdown) which means the floor is right around the corner.

Maybe, maybe not. Its far more difficult to get credit these days, so it should suggest that due diligence has been done with the lenders.

tuxfool

Banned
It's probably "fake news" to make it look like they are going on sale lol.

Like furniture stores and their "this sofa used to be £1299!*"

*never actually sold at £1299.

May I just say I hate this usage of the term.

It is far too close to the way those morons that scream "fake news" at things that are actually happening directly in front of their faces.

Sharinel

Neo Member
It's probably "fake news" to make it look like they are going on sale lol.

Like furniture stores and their "this sofa used to be £1299!*"

*never actually sold at £1299.

This is untrue, by law they have to offer it for £1299 somewhere for at least 28 days. So what they do is have it for £800 in London and put it up for £1299 in their Orkney branch. Sorted.

Audioboxer

May I just say I hate this usage of the term.

It is far too close to the way those morons that scream "fake news" at things that are actually happening directly in front of their faces.

That was my attempt at "satire".

This is untrue, by law they have to offer it for £1299 somewhere for at least 28 days. So what they do is have it for £800 in London and put it up for £1299 in their Orkney branch. Sorted.

Suppose so. Either way the joke is no one is ever paying whatever crazy price they had it at. I'm pretty sure one or two retailers have been in trouble before for misleading sale prices.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

It is true actually. By law it does have to have been offered at the higher price, but none need actually have been bought at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom