• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Age |OT| A Double Fine Adventure! [iPad/Ouya Act One out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get over how great the music is. Of all the things that bring me back to adventure games of yore, the strongest might be the score.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Nice to read the general positivness in this thread, making me really look forward to play it!

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Only played 10 minutes of Vella's part and this runs smoothly on my toaster. It's gorgeous and charming.

I'm among the people that made this possible, awww yisss.

Kimaka

Ok, I'm stuck. Vella 3rd area spoilers:
I made the death ray, and got a bucket from the mayor but can't progress further. I also have a stool and I think I need to do something with the tree but I can't figure out what.

Edit: Nevermind. Found the item I needed.
Didn't see the axe.

Sera O

Banned
Damn, I just got to the end and I desperately want the second part now.

Also, I love
the spoon
so much.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I found the game to be "merely good" which is hard to talk to people about in an environment where almost everyone seems to be absolutely enamored with it. I did enjoy it a lot, but didn't find it to be especially exceptional... UNTIL THE ENDING.

DAT ENDING.

SpidermanSoGood.gif

PaulloDEC

Ok, I'm stuck. Vella 3rd area spoilers:
I made the death ray, and got a bucket from the mayor but can't progress further. I also have a stool and I think I need to do something with the tree but I can't figure out what.

EDIT: Solved as nature intended.

Well I finished it and really, really enjoyed. It took me around four hours to complete it and I only got stuck at one part (
The peach. I couldn't figure out the riddle and then remembered that peach so I went back to look for it.
) but found it easy, overall. The wait for the second act is going to be tough!

Three hours for me. I got stuck twice, but not because I couldn't figure out the puzzles, but because of finnicky stuff like not being close enough before trying the right solution, thus thinking I was missing something and running around forever before trying it again didn't check to see if dialogue options changed after something happened. I also accidentally overwrote my autosave by loading a manual save at 1h45m, but it only took me 13 minutes to finish the game from there knowing all the solutions and skipping all the sweet, sweet dialogue.

Made some quick dual monitor wallpapers for this because I noticed them on the documentary, but couldn't find them anywhere online.

Right-side Main said:
brokenagerightoleftihj5z.png
Left-side Main said:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've only played for a little bit but I'm disappointed that the UI and game design is so obviously aimed at tablets versus PCs. Having to move the mouse into a corner and press a button to bring up the inventory screen, single clicks on everything, only a single interaction type (as opposed to LOOK/USE), etc.

The voice acting is great, of course.
It works almost exactly like The Dig and, in terms of options, Grim Fandango.

Haunted

No Look/Use is a bit of a bummer, though clicking on an inventory item is look. They clearly spent a lot of time writing inventory interactions.

Also, you can remap the inventory to right-click to bring it up whenever.

PaulloDEC

No Look/Use is a bit of a bummer, though clicking on an inventory item is look. They clearly spent a lot of time writing inventory interactions.

Also, you can remap the inventory to right-click to bring it up whenever.

That was one of the first things I did. Right-click to raise inventory, middle-click to skip dialogue.

Hopefully they'll patch in the option for click-to-select at some stage as an alternative to click-and-drag; that was really the only aspect of the interface that bothered me. That being said, the Verb Coin remains the best adventure game interface of all time, so I'd love to see that make a return if Double Fine get another shot after Broken Age.

Pachael

Three hours and a little bit. Find it really charming, yet understandably short. Can't wait to the other half and more 2PP episodes. I do like the interactions and the inventory juggling, but would also like to see... more. Totally worth the backin'.

Maxrunner

When do we have access to the drm free files? I only managed to install the steam version but i assume this is because of it being at beta still?

DosBuster

Neo Member
Daymn. Some small tooltips such as combining items would be helpful, but other than that. Absolutely sublime. However, I was hoping there would be more environments since the Art Jam in Episode 4 of the Documentary showed a TON of cool and interesting environments. Maybe for Act II?
Also, dat ending.

Don't know if Double Fine talked about that but is the length of the first Act represent the half of the entire game or is it more like a prologue ?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
It's half. Took me around five hours. Sounds like a classic LucasArts length. With the exception of Grim Fandango and CoMI.

Finished and loved it. What a delightfull adventure, can't wat for Act II!
Like many have said before, the puzzles weren't really difficult stumpers whom made you walk around for hours or made lots of people look at a guide. They where really well designed, fun and some did result in some "aha!" moments, though. I don't play Point & Click's for a challenge anyway. Don't get me wrong, I like challenging puzzles. Heck, i'm a Myst lover. But the universe, dialogue and characters are most important in this genre. And boy did they nail that. Schafer is a master in those things, but the overall quality still suprised me. So good.

I want to return to Broken Age's stunning looking universe as soon as possible.
Loved Curtis and Lightbeard. :D

Loving the soundtrack as well.

Just refreshing my memory on the older game playtimes. Stats from howlongtobeat.com for a regular run

DOTT - 7h
Sam and Max - 5.5h
The Dig - 7h
Full Throttle - 5h
Grim Fandango - 12h
Monkey Island - average 7h
Loom - 3h
Fate of Atlantis - 8h

LiK

Just refreshing my memory on the older game playtimes. Stats from howlongtobeat.com for a regular run

DOTT - 7h
Sam and Max - 5.5h
The Dig - 7h
Full Throttle - 5h
Grim Fandango - 12h
Loom - 3h
Fate of Atlantis - 8h

Full Throttle seems pretty generous. Think I beat it in 4. I remember being disappointed at the length. It was so good and it ended too soon.

Instro

DOTT - 7h
Sam and Max - 5.5h
The Dig - 7h
Full Throttle - 5h
Grim Fandango - 12h
Loom - 3h
Fate of Atlantis - 8h

I kind of figured this was the case. I was thinking about it the other day and I only remembered Grim being pretty long.

Kyonashi

Okay, I think my game may have glitched or missed something.

SPOILERS:
I woke up the Dead Eye God and assumed it was Shay, but later in the Maiden's Feast, Vella calls to him and calls him Alex. When did we learn this bit of information? I don't remember him telling me his name was Alex. It was especially weird because that's my name... I first thought they'd coded every backer's copy with their own name and Vella was calling to the player! That would have been a hell of a lot of voice work...

Anyway, I've finished it now, just that is confusing me.

NIN90

Just finished it with 3 hours and 45 minutes clocked.
Game has great humour and it's very charming but it feels kinda barebones from an adventure stand point. Like, there are not all that many hot spots to interact with and most puzzles are real easy (and I'm in no way some point and click adventure genious).

It's definitely worth the $15 I paid for it but I'm way more pumped for the second episode of Broken Sword 5 than this one's.

I did get a new avatar from the game, though. :)

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The game did stutter a bit when walking, from time to time. Which can not be because of my hardware. Anyone else had the same thing?
Noticed it happening in a couple more 2D games, so it might be something on my end. Banner Saga has the same issue, for example.

Haunted

Okay, I think my game may have glitched or missed something.

SPOILERS:
I woke up the Dead Eye God and assumed it was Shay, but later in the Maiden's Feast, Vella calls to him and calls him Alex. When did we learn this bit of information? I don't remember him telling me his name was Alex. It was especially weird because that's my name... I first thought they'd coded every backer's copy with their own name and Vella was calling to the player! That would have been a hell of a lot of voice work...

Anyway, I've finished it now, just that is confusing me.
Yeah, I actually didn't catch when he supposedly introduced himself, then she suddenly called him Alex. Not the only place in the game where a dialogue line shows knowledge the character couldn't have had at that point (presumably depending on your dialogue choices before).

LiK

The game did stutter a bit when walking, from time to time. Which can not be because of my hardware. Anyone else had the same thing?
Noticed it happening in a couple more 2D games, so it might be something on my end. Banner Saga has the same issue, for example.
smooth as silk for me.

Lunzio

Definitely stuttered a few minutes after loading my saves. Almost guaranteed it's not my hardware.

TheGrue

The game only stutters for me when I drag an item from the inventory out into the world.

Kimaka

I finished it at 4hrs and 36mins. It took a while because I'm not well verse in adventure game logic. The only other adventure games I have played were the Longest Journey series, which I needed a guide for, and The Walking Dead. I expected to get stuck more but I thought most of the puzzles were pretty straight forward. I only got stuck twice in Vella's part and Shay's was a breeze.

I'm so excited for Act 2. What an ending.

Yeah, I actually didn't catch when he supposedly introduced himself, then she suddenly called him Alex. Not the only place in the game where a dialogue line shows knowledge the character couldn't have had at that point (presumably depending on your dialogue choices before).

I noticed this at a few points in the game too, kind of jarring. In some moments I could see why it happened (when put into a new situation I tend to interact with the overt focal point last and instead take in everything else first) but that name in particular really threw me for a loop.
Though it did assist in the game leading me away from the reveal that I had already been expecting for the majority of the game.

megalowho

It's interesting that length/content is the biggest complaint, if you could call it a complaint even. I remember an episode of the documentary, probably the one where the game had to be cut in half, and Tim was agonizing about delivering a shorter game than he imagined in order to make budget, fully aware that player feedback would be that it's too short (happened with Full Throttle). Pretty good example of players asking "if only the developers did X" and now we have a window into the other side of the story - that they really wanted to and planned to, but compromises had to be made.

Sera O

Banned
I agree with that Eurogamer review. Don't get me wrong, I like part 1 a lot - charming, beautiful, well-presented. Writing-wise, I like the way it's going and the concepts that are being developed. The story has a bit of a dark/subversive edge to it that I hoped for.

As a backer I am pleased - however, I've also gotten so much content from the documentary. The reason I didn't wait to play the full game was because the documentary will assume viewers have played part 1. Releasing only part of the game opens it up to be evaluated on the partial picture though, so here goes.

Part 1 is really easy. Having logical/natural puzzles is one thing, but it was rare that I even needed to think at all about what to do. You never have much in inventory. (Shay spoilers)
The yarn pal missions call attention to the triviality - ice cream avalanche isn't that much simpler than some of this stuff.
. It's just straightforward. It would make sense thematically for hand-holding to fade away in the second part, though.

The huge cursor and lack of click-to-select are weird and must be ipad related. I had three ctds while characters were walking around (one occurring just after getting the
knife
on Shay's side.

The game side of it seems very casual. I hope difficulty and complexity increase in part 2. I will be interested to see reactions to the first half from players who pay $25 for this and aren't getting documentary content when it hits the store - seems kind of steep.

omgkitty

Anyone else find it funny all these sites are putting out reviews even after they specifically asked that sites not post reviews?

Randdalf

I agree with that Eurogamer review. Don't get me wrong, I like part 1 a lot - charming, beautiful, well-presented. Writing-wise, I like the way it's going and the concepts that are being developed. The story has a bit of a dark/subversive edge to it that I hoped for.

As a backer I am pleased - however, I've also gotten so much content from the documentary. The reason I didn't wait to play the full game was because the documentary will assume viewers have played part 1. Releasing only part of the game opens it up to be evaluated on the partial picture though, so here goes.

Part 1 is really easy. Having logical/natural puzzles is one thing, but it was rare that I even needed to think at all about what to do. You never have much in inventory. (Shay spoilers)
The yarn pal missions call attention to the triviality - ice cream avalanche isn't that much simpler than some of this stuff.
. It's just straightforward. It would make sense thematically for hand-holding to fade away in the second part, though.

The huge cursor and lack of click-to-select are weird and must be ipad related. I had three ctds while characters were walking around (one occurring just after getting the
knife
on Shay's side.

The game side of it seems very casual. I hope difficulty and complexity increase in part 2. I will be interested to see reactions to the first half from players who play $25 for this and aren't getting documentary content when it hits the store - seems kind of steep.

There surely wouldn't be a cursor on an iPad though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom