• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse |OT| Paris in the spring

Tizoc

Err maybe 'unchallenging' was a mistranslation? I've never considered PnC adventure games to challenge the player, all the ones I played just let me take my time for the most part and the puzzles tend to not be mind bogglers.

Gangxxter

They said "anspruchslos" which is a term often used in German reviews when a game is too easy.
They criticized that the puzzles are very simple and they never got stuck for a longer time while reviewing the game.
It's not a very good review because on the other hand they praise BS 1&2 for their hard puzzles. To be honest, the puzzles in BS 1&2 were not that hard, especially in BS1. Most of the puzzles there were dialogue based and you can solve any dialogue puzzle by talking to everyone about everything.
BS2 had better puzzles but I think they were also not very hard (first time I played through BS2 was with a walkthrough).

Personally I want to be challenged by a p&c adventure game with hard puzzles. The longer I get stuck on a puzzle, the longer the fun lasts with the game. See my fail above, I'm only 10 % in the game and have already played 5 hours.

Mr_Zombie

They criticized that the puzzles are very simple and they never got stuck for a longer time while reviewing the game.

I don't get how this can be a bad thing. Puzzles have to be logical first and foremost. If you're stuck for a longer time because you can't replicate mental gymnastics developers went through while designing those puzzles (hello there cat mustache) I don't consider it to be fun time; I consider it to be frustrating.

mclem

I don't get how this can be a bad thing. Puzzles have to be logical first and foremost. If you're stuck for a longer time because you can't replicate mental gymnastics developers went through while designing those puzzles (hello there cat mustache) I don't consider it to be fun time; I consider it to be frustrating.

I've noticed that as my understanding of adventure games has matured - it's very uncommon, these days, for me to get particularly stuck - not because games have necessarily got easier, but because I understand them better

Broken Sword itself is a good example. In the run-up to 5, I replayed it - for the first time since about 1997. I'd forgotten a lot in fifteen years, with only a few of the most memorable puzzles still in my memory. I'd completely forgotten Syria, Ireland other than the goat, the train, Spain, the hospital, parts of the Hotel Ubu.

And yet... I found it much easier than I recall back when I was in my late teens. Indeed, one bit I *did* remember was also a section I got stuck on (although that was an observation failure - the window control in the museum. I'd worked out the premise of the puzzle but hadn't seen *that* element to distract the guard, I was trying other methods of distracting him.)

So... I'll be very curious to hear if this *is* actually easier, or adventure fans are just smarter now.

(As an aside: I think the toughest puzzle I've ever encountered that I'd still regard as reasonably fair is the Fire Marble puzzle from Riven. It's logical and meaningful - provided you accept a little of Myst-universe logic - but requires understanding and interpreting quite a lot of distinct pieces of information. Similarly, it was the most rewarding to solve!)

frankMX

I wonder those reviewers who think BS5 is too easy have ever played a broken sword game before.BS is always about dialogue and characters,most puzzles are inventory-based.You can't add too much difficulty if its inventory-based.
They should play games like Nancy drew or Safe cracker or something like that,those games are not easy.

Sloane

Banned
Broken Sword 1 & 2 were both pretty easy and I've always considered that to be a good thing because hard puzzles usually mean that they either don't make much sense or that you are being overwhelmed by locations and items which hurts the pacing of the story.

Putting the hamster into the microwave was fun in a LucasArts game but it wouldn't really work for an adventure game that is grounded in reality.

Mr_Zombie

Putting the hamster into the microwave was fun in a LucasArts game but it wouldn't really work for an adventure game that is grounded in reality.

Given what happened to that hamster, it would work really well for an adventure game grounded in reality ;)

Gangxxter

I wonder those reviewers who think BS5 is too easy have ever played a broken sword game before.BS is always about dialogue and characters,most puzzles are inventory-based.You can't add too much difficulty if its inventory-based.
They should play games like Nancy drew or Safe cracker or something like that,those games are not easy.
Well nearly all puzzles in BS1 are dialogue based with only a handful of inventory based puzzles.
BS2 had a nice balance between dialogue and inventory based puzzles that's why I prefer BS2 over BS1.

IMHO dialogue based puzzles are much easier than inventory based ones. I also think inventory puzzles are the best kind of puzzles because they can be difficult without being frustrating.

mandiller

I finished it in 5.6 hours according to Steam. It was great to play a 2D Broken Sword again. The story and characters were quite memorable although the janky and slow animations hindered the game a little. I always had to wait for the character to finish moving their arms or move into a pose before they'd say the line of dialogue. It needs to be quicker with less pauses when chatting with characters.

I understand some of the complaints about difficulty. There were only a few places where I didn't immediately know what to do.

My other complaint is why they released the game now instead of waiting for the second half. The story is not self contained in the first episode, it is clearly the first part of the game which cuts off at the end and you continue it in the second episode. Why not just wait another month or two and release the whole thing? That would've been a better experience in my opinion.

Still, it's a great game and if you're a fan of Broken Sword you'll love it.

mclem

My other complaint is why they released the game now instead of waiting for the second half. The story is not self contained in the first episode, it is clearly the first part of the game which cuts off at the end and you continue it in the second episode. Why not just wait another month or two and release the whole thing? That would've been a better experience in my opinion.

Christmas, twice over.

* They want to be on sale prior to Christmas to get some Christmas sales - would the market really have noticed a game released in January?
* They promised backers the game before Christmas and this allowed them to give them something concrete to work with while delaying a bit.

frankMX

Well nearly all puzzles in BS1 are dialogue based with only a handful of inventory based puzzles.
My bad :/ .I got two mixed,I always have the impression that dialogue between characters are mostly base on the items they have,its actually dialogue-based.
I always had to wait for the character to finish moving their arms or move into a pose before they'd say the line of dialogue. It needs to be quicker with less pauses when chatting with characters.
You can click once to skip one dialogue.It will make the movement of characters seem lack of coherence though.

Gangxxter

My bad :/ .I got two mixed,I always have the impression that dialogue between characters are mostly base on the items they have,its actually dialogue-based.
Maybe I got it wrong ;) Personally I use those definitions:

Dialogue based puzzle: Talk to a specific person about a specific topic at a specific time in order to progress
Inventory based puzzle: Combine a specific item from your inventory with another specific item (either in your inventory or in the game world) at a specific time in order to progress

Dorfdepp

Neo Member
Finished it a couple of minutes ago and i really enjoyed it. The puzzles weren't the hardest but that was fine.
Played it stoned, so hard puzzles would have been catastrophic.

The whole game gave me the familiar feeling of the old Broken Sword games and the overflowing nostalgia drew me completely in. Love how they brought back some of the old characters and I hope that others will return as well in the next episodes.

There is also lots of stuff to discover so keep your eyes open.

262940_screenshots_2013-12-06_00001.jpg

Gangxxter

More reviews...

IncGamers: 6/10
I hope that, when episode two launches, I'll be bemoaning my own idiocy and falling over myself to award the complete game a much higher score. For now, though, I'm playing it safe: until I know how the whole thing plays out, my recommendation is guarded.

NowGamer: 8/10
Funny, intriguing and effortlessly charming, Broken Sword 5: The Serpents Curse is an old fashioned point and click romp that feels like a breath of fresh, Parisian air.

I've found 9 reviews so far, time for a review thread?

Gangxxter

I'm 30% in, can i expect some adventures and danger? Because it's kinda boring.
I have to admit the game has a looooong and boring start, but I'm about 41 % in and it's starting to get really exciting now!

Just got stuck for frickin' 3 hours on the neon sign puzzle! I love to get stuck in adventure games and I really enjoyed it. But now I feel a little bit stupid because it was actually so easy...

Why, oh why, do you spell Aladdin with two D's? I thought it was only with one D -.-
Just noticed this: http://picpar.com/K91 (spoiler image after you've solved the neon sign puzzle).
The game really rubs salt into the wound now :(

Tizoc

Let me know if I missed any review links in the first post. Will make a review thread of it later today.

Shiggy

Just got stuck for frickin' 3 hours on the neon sign puzzle! I love to get stuck in adventure games and I really enjoyed it. But now I feel a little bit stupid because it was actually so easy...

Why, oh why, do you spell Aladdin with two D's? I thought it was only with one D -.-

I had exactly the same problem with that, but I used the hints section as I don't play games to be frustrated.

Now at 25%, the game is a blast.

Edit: I feel relieved, in German it is spelt with just a single of those characters.

Gangxxter

I had exactly the same problem with that, but I used the hints section as I don't play games to be frustrated.

Now at 25%, the game is a blast.

Edit: I feel relieved, in German it is spelt with just a single of those characters.
But the Walt Disney movie is spelled with two D's in German too

Tizoc

Heh I just realized how solving the
russian typewriter puzzle on the Vita
will be a little frustrating, unless they add a 'Notes' option to the game like in Virtue's Last Reward.

Gangxxter

Is it just me who can't finish episode 1? The game always crashes near the 50% point.
There seems to be a known bug towards the end. You can only reload an older savegame for now or wait for a patch. I didn' have this bug and could finish the game without a problem.
will be a little frustrating, unless they add a 'Notes' option to the game like in Virtue's Last Reward.
Seriously? It's not that hard to
remember four symbols without taking notes/screenshots. Besides that you can always take handwritten notes if you're really struggling :p

Shiggy

Huh? Why would it be more difficult on Vita?

Finally got through the final part without a crash. Really enjoyed episode 1, can't wait for part 2.

Finished this yesterday! I don't consider myself the best at point 'n' click games (although I have played a lot of them) but I found it pretty easy, and never got stuck.

Spoiler stuff:

I had a moment of pre-empting the solution when I first got Henri's glasses and flower. I kept trying to put them on to convince Bijou I was him, not knowing I had to get the song first and then sit down at her dressing table.

When climbing the drainpipe to get into the art studio, I thought what universe am I in where Nico is stood right there watching as I repeatedly honk the horn and then quickly try to climb the drainpipe before the seagull comes back? Stop messing with your phone and help me out woman! (I must have tried to rush it three times before I thought to talk to her while on the pipe).

Overall, I wasn't disappointed and I'm hungry for the next instalment. Normally I abhor episodic games, but since the next chapter is only a month away it actually doesn't feel too bad here. Actually, it helps to stretch the experience out a bit, as normally I just binge :)

Ivan

Man, I somehow forgot this is out! I'll try it TONIGHT.

Next period is going to be really awesome, we're finally gonna start getting those crowd funded games. Pure fact that there is new 2D Broken Sword is mindblowing.

And it's nice to see so many gaffers of similar age who liked it back in the day :). I was 13 when Shadow of the Templars came out...good times.

epmode

25% in and I'm loving this. The dialogue is good, the puzzles are rarely frustrating and there's a bunch of Look At objects on each screen. You can even show all sorts of worthless crap to NPCs and they almost always comment on it. It's just like old times!

The production values aren't up to the first game's but they did a great job with their relatively limited Kickstarter budget.

OlympicTechno

Neo Member
Real throwback to the first games, absolutely loved the first episode. Can't wait for the next. I had been so let down by 3 and 4 but now Revolution has returned to their roots I couldn't be happier! And the music! Amazing all round.

Gangxxter

It would be nice to know how expensive to make were BS 1 and 2...
Yeah.
At least we know it pretty precisely for BS5: it had a budget of about 3.3 Million USD. 820,000 USD where raised through Kickstarter, 500,000 USD were self-funded before the Kickstarter started and the rest (2 Million USD) were raised through "traditional means" (I assume through some kind of investor or bank credit).

Tizoc

It would be nice to know how expensive to make were BS 1 and 2...

Keep in mind that the prices of stuff during the 90s and 80s are different to current times, what cost 1 million then might not be much be today's comparison.

Gangxxter

New reviews:

PC.MMGN.com: 8/10
As a kickstarter backer and a fan to one of the greatest adventure games of all time, I'm pleased to report that The Serpent's Curse met and exceeded my expectations. It is the sequel that the series deserves, instead of that 3D block pushing nightmare that was Broken Sword 4. While Broken Sword 5 doesn't break any new ground as a point and click adventure, as a Broken Sword sequel, it flawlessly delivers the new adventure that we were all waiting for as a refresher to the series.

Hardcore Gamer: 4/5
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse so far, but there’s no denying that the game is half-finished. Everything is building up to what I hope will be a fulfilling conclusion, but that conclusion is months away, and as things stand that makes it difficult to recommend the game’s first half to a broader audience. Fans of the series shouldn’t hesitate – this is the Broken Sword you know and love – but I can understand other people being wary. I trust Revolution Software to deliver a great finale, and if you’re an adventure game nut you’ll find plenty to love here, but we’re in for a bit of a wait. In the interceding months, I highly recommend catching up on the original games if you haven’t already.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Just a heads-up, I discovered a bug at 43% completion, when talking to
Fleur
the game might crash.
The solution? Changing the UI from Modern to Classic...
...yeah.

Atleast it's easier to fix then the infamous Syria/Spain bug. :p

Loving the game and how it builds up. The
russian typewriter
puzzle was especially great.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So fellow adventure gamers, how do you find the game? Does it stack up to the earlier games in the series?

Gangxxter

Just a heads-up, I discovered a bug at 43% completion, when talking to
Fleur
the game might crash.
The solution? Changing the UI from Modern to Classic...
...yeah.

Atleast it's easier to fix then the infamous Syria/Spain bug. :p

Loving the game and how it builds up. The
russian typewriter
puzzle was especially great.
A patch addressing this crash will be released late this week.
I've read on the Revolution forum that the
typewriter
puzzle makes absolutely no sense if
you're able to read Cyrillic/fluent in Russian. In fact, in Russia they use Arabic numerals just like we do. I've also read that some letters on the typewriter "went extinct centuries before the invention of typewriters" :D

So fellow adventure gamers, how do you find the game? Does it stack up to the earlier games in the series?
Go get it if you enjoyed BS 1&2. Personally I think it's not as good as the old games, but this might be because of nostalgia. At least BS5 is very, very close to be as good as BS 1&2. Perhaps I think so because only the first half of the game has been released so far. If I had played BS2 only up until the point where the shaman tells you about the other 2 stones, I also wouldn't have rated the game to be as good as BS1^^
Only negative point: the puzzles are very easy, hopefully they'll get harder in Episode 2.
After all, BS5 is way, WAY better than BS 3&4.

Another review:

Strategy Informer: 8/10
These points aside, the first episode of Broken Sword 5 is a lot of fun and a welcome return to form for the series. That mid-way split is annoying and despite Revolution’s best efforts isn’t really justified, leaving Episode 1 as just half a game, and some adventurers may be disappointed at how straightforward the puzzle design is, but overall I was very satisfied. The story is intriguing, characters are fun, puzzles are well designed, hints perfectly implemented, and the 2D art is lovely. Oh, and the voice acting and music are both great, with Rolf Saxon returning finely as George Stobbart and new girl Emma Tate doing a fine Nico Collard. A short but sweet adventure stymied only by the fact it's half a game. Roll on the second half, and if it’s as good as the first Broken Sword 5 will end up a most excellent adventure.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Go get it if you enjoyed BS 1&2. Personally I think it's not as good as the old games, but this might be because of nostalgia. At least BS5 is very, very close to be as good as BS 1&2. Perhaps I think so because only the first half of the game has been released so far. If I had played BS2 only up until the point where the shaman tells you about the other 2 stones, I also wouldn't have rated the game as to be as good as BS1^^
Only negative point: the puzzles are very easy, hopefully they'll get harder in Episode 2.
After all, BS5 is way, WAY better than BS 3&4.

Thanks! I actually really enjoyed 3 and 4 as well, so will probably like this then :)

Gangxxter

I strongly recommend you to play with game hints turned off (go to Options -> Game Settings)! If you play with hints turned on you won't be able to combine any item with any other item in your inventory, only with those items that make sense. This greatly reduces the fun of finding the right solutions for puzzles.

If you're really stuck you can always turn on the hints anytime midgame and use the hint system then.

I finished it the other day.

-The story is ok.
-Dialogue is good.
-Characters are good but do tend to fall a bit into caricature (the waiter for one...)
-Puzzles are ok, but a bit too easy.
-Animation is pretty bad. Budget thing I guess, there's not enough unique movement.

All in all, far better then 3 or 4, but not as good as 1 & 2. Bit disappointed that it's not as good as 2, as 2 felt helluva rushed - but the story was better then 5 at least. That 6/10 from metro is looking close, I'd probably give it 7/10 myself. Thankfully they were wrong about nico's voice; it's rather nice - better then 4 for sure, about on par with 1, though not as good as 2.

I hope they can roll some of the feedback into making part 2 better, but it's not long to go now. Hopefully the story threads pulling together will make it feel more coherent.

Tizoc

If anything, they can take note of the negatives the game recieved and aim to avoid them in a future Broken Sword game.

Gangxxter

-Animation is pretty bad. Budget thing I guess, there's not enough unique movement.

Have to disagree, the animations are really nice. And there are tons of unique animations, just watch carefully when characters talk to each other. They often gesticulate while talking which was completely absent in BS 1&2. Also when combining/using items there are always custom animations for that.

Furthermore there are a lot of idle animations for the characters which are also very nice.

I've played other P&C games where the screen just fades to black only to cut down complex animations.

Top Bottom