• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons |OT| We are One (PC and PSN, Out now)

ymmv

Banned
Just finished it. Manly tears were shed.
That moment when you realize how to swim at the end.
That alone was beautiful. It is a crowning achievment of game design if the press of a button alone triggers emotions. Man. What a game...

I played through the game in one sitting. Wonderful music, wonderful art and animation, lots of neat little touches, hidden achievements and my favorite moment was indeed the one you described. Such a revelation when you figure out what you have to do. Great, great game design.

Exceptionally beautiful game, even if the final moments didn't resonate as hard with me as they did for some people. But the incredible artstyle, clever use of control, and spectacular world still made it a must-play experience in my book.

deejay

Beautiful experience. I loved everything about this game, including the character design (which many people dislike I see). The only thing I kinda disliked were the controls.
I thought the character design was pretty cool. The clothing, the way the brothers looked. Good stuff right there if you ask me ;)

Techies

One of the most brilliant games I've ever played, and most stunning. I've spend a few minutes just looking into the deep blue ocean in the one part of the game, it looks so real.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The demo completely blew me away, what a great example of silent storytelling this game is. The control scheme is genius, and it takes you out of the comfort zone in the best possible way. The way the brothers interact with things differenty has such a weight to it, too. And Starbreeze did this? I knew they were really good but I'm glad they tried their hands at something like this.

burgerdog

Help, late game spoiler I think!

I have absolutely no idea what to do in the area with all the blood and the woman that's about to get sacrificed.

Jedi2016

Just finished this one tonight (PC version). Pretty damned awesome, and definitely one to remember, right up there with ICO and Journey in style and the feeling it leaves you with.

And man, what a pretty game. The art style and lighting really come together, and to think my video card is practically asleep while rendering at 1080p60.

I think I'll do it in 3D next time. ;)

I finished this game on PS3 last weekend. Such a shame that there is so little buzz around this game. For some reason I thought it was an xbox 360 exclusive. When I browsed the PSN store I immediately bought it when I spotted it; this was just based on Brad's remarks on the Bombast and the Quick Look they did.

The art style of the environment is amazing. When everything clicks, it is utterly gorgeous. Shame that there's the typical UE3 problems with the PS3 version (a lot of tearing, texture pop-in when the action jumps up a gear ). Nothing too bad, luckily.

I didn't encounter any technical gameplay issues; I think one the brothers got stuck for a few seconds between a troll and other geometry, but nothing serious. The biggest issue I had was when my brain tried to control the two brothers when they were crossing over.

As stated by others, I was surprised by some of the darker turns the story took. It worked for the most part. Some parts were a bit ham-fisted, but overall it was very touching. For those that say "I saw most of it coming": whatever plotline or events the writers would have chosen, I am convinced that there will be players that will guess correctly what was about to happen.

I also dug the seamless nature of the entire game, without chapter titles, loading, etc. This really helps with the amazing atmosphere and character of the game. I completely understand why this evokes references to Journey and Ico (the latter is directly referenced in the game, as mentioned earlier). Definitely one of the gems of the year for me. I hope it isn't crushed by the AAA games in the inevitable GOTY deliberations.

The length was actually perfect for me. I much rather have several of these experiences (3-4 hours for $15) than one game of 12-16 hours for $60. This also avoids that the game, art style and gameplay mechanics get stale. Those saying "I will wait for a price drop"... Fair enough, but I don't mind supporting this type of game.

TLDR: buy this game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Very impressed with what I've played so far. Just finished the night time section. This feels very post-Braid in the best way possible.

obin_gam

After TotalBuiscit hailed this game as the best one he'd ever played... I'm thinking I kinda have to buy it :D
It being created by one of my favourite movie directors doesnt exactly hurt either...
lqNvtqU.gif

Game is a bit short but definitely worth checking out. I think the puzzles could've been a bit more challenging but the dual character mechanic is used in interesting ways. The game is gorgeous and there's a touching story to discover here.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished this.

So many fantastic ideas. The game clock says almost three hours of play-time, but it was dense

ingenious. Moving. Worth every cent.

Hyperbole aside, just buy it.

Blinck

Just finished it.

Fantastic, fantastic brilliant game. Beautiful art direction, one of the best i've seen. What a great journey.

That being said, I thought the animation could use a bit more work, and I also wouldn't consider this a puzzle game. All the "puzzles" were so easy and obvious that they aren't really puzzles, IMO.

When you realize how to swim at the end...damn... so so good

BIG props to the developers, phenomenal work :)

It's damn near criminal this game doesn't get more exposure, a wonderful and surprisingly moving journey.

It reminded me a lot of my first time playing Another World and Heart of Darkness, very much akin to the breathtaking visuals and incredible atmosphere those games had.

Completely stuck.

where you have to stack lil bro on top of big bro covered in blood for the sacrifice part. I've gotten it to work once, but big bro just keeps pointing when I press L and not doing the animation to boost lil bro up.

Any pointers?

Got Brothers but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. For those who've finished it how long does it take to complete?

Might give it a go this weekend if it's not too long.

Iksenpets

Banned
Very, very end spoilers:
Did anyone else get the impression during that final shot of Dad breaking down sobbing and Lil Bro just staring into the distance, stony-faced, that their relationship is never going to be ok after this? Like deep down Dad blames him first for letting Mom die and now for letting Big Bro die, too, and isn't going to be able to let that go?Because when he broke down, he didn't look to commiserate with his younger son, he just cried alone with his son right next to him, and then Lil Bro's look at the end, standing completely still like he knows the last thing Dad wants is for him to try to comfort him. I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I couldn't escape that feeling at the end and it made it super sad. :(

jamsy

Just finished it.

Awesome, awesome stuff. Really impressive. Definitely one of the most memorable games I've ever played.

I just noticed that this game is in the Top 30 most highly rated PC games ever on Metacritic. Is it really that good? I was going to hold out for a sale, but I just got a new PC and am looking for something to play on it, and I just almost can't believe the praise.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I replayed this on pc with a couple of friends and it made me appreciate the game more. Seeing them react to some of the stronger moments in the game, was priceless.

We played on pc. I played the psn version before and the difference in visual quality is so big that I'd advise against getting the ps3 version altogether. It just looks muddy and ugly in comparison, and the tearing doesn't help. Poorly optimized. Please get the pc version!

tmespe

Great game. The art style and music is fantastic. It feels like a (Nordic) fairy tale more than anything. I would love to see more games utilize this setting, especially the
trolls
. It did not have the same emotional impact on me as it seems it had on a lot of other people, but overall I found it to be a great experience.

ArjanN

Very, very end spoilers:
Did anyone else get the impression during that final shot of Dad breaking down sobbing and Lil Bro just staring into the distance, stony-faced, that their relationship is never going to be ok after this? Like deep down Dad blames him first for letting Mom die and now for letting Big Bro die, too, and isn't going to be able to let that go?Because when he broke down, he didn't look to commiserate with his younger son, he just cried alone with his son right next to him, and then Lil Bro's look at the end, standing completely still like he knows the last thing Dad wants is for him to try to comfort him. I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I couldn't escape that feeling at the end and it made it super sad. :(

I think that was supposed to be more coming of age moment for the younger brother to show that he's grown as a person. Especially since they go out of their way to show how childish he acts at the beginning of the game.

TJP

Finished this yesterday on PC and loved every second: good controls, a touching story and beautiful graphics made for a sublime experience.

As a fan of Starbreeze's earlier work, including Syndicate, Brothers is a return to form for the 'new' Starbreeze (given most of the original people are at Machine Games).

spekkeh

Banned
I just noticed that this game is in the Top 30 most highly rated PC games ever on Metacritic. Is it really that good? I was going to hold out for a sale, but I just got a new PC and am looking for something to play on it, and I just almost can't believe the praise.
Looking at the six reviews that constitute the score, there seems to be a rather unscientific hefty bias towards the single outlier, making the metascore somewhat useless. However, I consider the game almost as good as Braid (if a little less influential), so top 30 is really not that far out.

Tizoc

I think I'm in the final chapter but I loved what I played so far. Granted the puzzles and gameplay are straight forward, but the setting, music, premise and overall experience won me over, I'd say it's a GotY candidate for me.

I'm surprised by how much this felt like Uncharted to me, minus the combat. With the automatic platforming, very simple puzzles that feel JUST involving enough to be satisfying as they play out, linear and lean structure, and scripted "shit crumbling" moments. I think I wanted some trickier use of the mechanics, but as a beautiful journey, it was top notch.

netguy503

Just finished this one tonight (PC version). Pretty damned awesome, and definitely one to remember, right up there with ICO and Journey in style and the feeling it leaves you with.

And man, what a pretty game. The art style and lighting really come together, and to think my video card is practically asleep while rendering at 1080p60.

I think I'll do it in 3D next time. ;)

Wait...this games in 3D? on PS3?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
A thing I only noticed on my second playthrough, a very neat touch:
when the 'woman' crosses the gap on the tree, she does so with her spider agility. She also does a super jump later.

see it here

phoenixyz

A thing I only noticed on my second playthrough, a very neat touch:
when the 'woman' crosses the gap on the tree, she does so with her spider agility. She also does a super jump later.

I found that to be very obvious. They did it so often (for example when she breaks the gate in the city) it was too in your face for me.

Tizoc

The game starts out having some decent stuff that a 6 year old can enjoy but...come the last half of the game it gets dark.

Top Bottom