• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Budweiser Wants To Buy Corona | DOJ: "LOL"

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/31/justice-department-budweiser_n_2591134.html
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/143379637/ABI-Complaint

WASHINGTON -- The Justice Department filed a lawsuit Thursday to stop the international conglomerate that makes Budweiser and many other beers from taking over the company that brews Corona.

Federal authorities allege that Anheuser-Busch InBev's $20.1 billion takeover of Grupo Modelo, announced in June, would "substantially lessen competition in the market for beer in the United States as a whole" and result in consumers "paying more for beer and having fewer new products from which to choose," according to the Justice Department.

In a statement, ABI said the Justice Department's action was inconsistent with the law and the marketplace. "We remain confident in our position, and we intend to vigorously contest the DOJ’s action in federal court," the company said.

ABI is the largest beer firm, and Modelo is the third-largest firm. Together, they control around 46 percent of annual beer sales in the U.S. (ABI already owns a stake in Modelo). Federal authorities say that ABI considered Modelo's Corona a significant threat and launched Bud Light Lime to compete with Corona in 2008, even going so far as to "mimic Corona’s distinctive clear bottle."

But unlike MillerCoors and other brewers, the complaint says, Modelo wouldn't follow along when ABI increased beer prices.

"Ultimately, instead of trying to compete head-to-head with its own product, Bud Light Lime, ABI is thwarting competition by buying Modelo," DOJ said in a press release. Both ABI and MillerCoors have been forced to lower their prices to discourage consumers from "trad[ing] up" to Modelo brands, the government said.

"The department is taking this action to stop a merger between major beer brewers because it would result in less competition and higher beer prices for American consumers,” Assistant Attorney General Bill Baer, who heads DOJ's Antitrust Division, said in a statement. “If ABI fully owned and controlled Modelo, ABI would be able to increase beer prices to American consumers. This lawsuit seeks to prevent ABI from eliminating Modelo as an important competitive force in the beer industry.”

In October, Businessweek reported that ABI executives have a taste not only for swallowing up the competition, but also for quietly tinkering with beer recipes by substituting cheaper ingredients in an effort to save money.

Please stop this

I already pay more for beer, but it's worth it:

Zombie_Dust.jpg

Never knew that Modelo made Corona...because I've never liked Corona. Negra Modelo is my go-to beer at Mexican restaurants though.

I'm going to bomb the fuck out of every brewery in the States except Odell's. I may spare Oskar Blues since I go eat there.

Davidion

I support all the crap macrobreweries merging into one gigantic entity so that I have a single focal point of distaste when it comes to beer.

Mindlog

Federal authorities allege that Anheuser-Busch InBev's $20.1 billion takeover of Grupo Modelo, announced in June, would "substantially lessen competition in the market for beer in the United States as a whole" and result in consumers "paying more for beer and having fewer new products from which to choose,"
Kind of a weird thing to say considering the influx of smaller breweries appearing on supermarket shelves. Outside of supermarkets the beer market is phenomenally healthy. So much quality and variety out there :cheers:

ezrarh

Kind of a weird thing to say considering the influx of smaller breweries appearing on supermarket shelves. Outside of supermarkets the beer market is phenomenally healthy. So much quality and variety out there :cheers:

It's funny they're doing this for a market with a low barrier of entry. One of the few times I say "so what?" to large companies buying one another.

Ashevillian here. I can get most beers but I have yet to see a Three Floyds beer. Makes me sad.

You have to ask for it in most stores in the Chicagoland area because they sell out as soon as it comes in. People figure out the delivery schedule and buy up the entire stock.

It's madness.

krae_man

Beer makers can't merge/buy eachother out because it is anti competetive, but Live Nation and Ticketmaster merging? No problem.

Seth C

Ashevillian here. I can get most beers but I have yet to see a Three Floyds beer. Makes me sad.

Probably the closest it gets to you is Kentucky. Come to Lexington, but don't expect Zombie Dust, at least not in bottles. That barely leaves the area of the brewery. We get kegs of it in Lexington from time to time.

I do have a case sitting here at home, though.

Corona isn't my beer of choice, but I think it's odd that the DOJ would get all up in this. They seem to care about some industries and not give a poop about others.

Maybe I just don't understand their logic.

What actually is the best Mexican beer? I'm fond of Dos Equis. My local mexican joint gives you a huge mug with a lime wedge for like $4. Shit is amazing.

Clydefrog

Corona only tastes okay if you put a lime in it. Otherwise it is actually disgusting. Beer should taste good by itself. Corona fails that distinction.

Sharp

What actually is the best Mexican beer? I'm fond of Dos Equis. My local mexican joint gives you a huge mug with a lime wedge for like $4. Shit is amazing.
Based on my experiences to date, there is no such thing as good Mexican beer. GAF, please correct me.

My girlfriend said I didn't have to buy any beer on NYE, her fridge was stocked with Corona.

I arrived with Spotted Cow. The only thing Corona has going for it is that it's better than Bud.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A monopoly on the most flavorless and weak beers in the world. I say let 'em do it. Although Corona >>>>>>>> Bud. Both suck.

Negra Modelo fo life.

Zero Hero

I don't always drink Corona, but when I do it's because I prefer it over anything that starts with 'Bud'.

I've heard that InBev is also brewing Heineken and Beck's in America now and still charging import prices. Anyone else hear anything about that?

Prezhulio

You have to ask for it in most stores in the Chicagoland area because they sell out as soon as it comes in. People figure out the delivery schedule and buy up the entire stock.

It's madness.

one of the few perks of living in indianapolis. zombie dust has been on tap all over the place in indy the past few months, it's fuckin great. nothing beats gumball head though...that's even hard to get around here where they sell other three floyd's.

What actually is the best Mexican beer?

I've tried most of the ones available in the states. Bohemia is the best, but it's not a "Mexican-style" Mexican beer. It's brewed in Mexico, but tastes like a European brew.

If you want a traditional tasting Mexican beer, I like Pacifio the best.

kudos.

It's madness.

I can't complain. The amount of good beer here is plenty enough to drain my wallet. That's all I can ask for. Plus KBS and Hopslam coming out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom