• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buena Vista Interactive decides to not sell any copies of Tron 2.0: Killer App (Xbox)

ManaByte

Gold Member
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243135.asp

243135.jpg

Pre-Order: Ships on 11/09/2004

uhf04.jpg

"STUPID! You're so STU-PIIIIIIIIIIID!"

Was Monolith involved in the Xbox version at all? If so, this sucks.

The PC version was fun, and the console version deserved a decent lifespan. Not instant death. C'mon Disney delay the game until December! Give Tron a chance damnit!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Maybe people will mistake the character as Master Chief and purchase this game when they think it's Halo 2

Took me few seconds to get what you're meaning but yeah, releasing another Xbox FPS on the same day as Halo2 pretty much guarantees no sales. It may get pushed back as that date gets closer and closer though.

Spike

If you've seen the magazine ad for this game, they have a character that actually resembles Master Chief.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wario64 said:
Maybe people will mistake the character as Master Chief and purchase this game when they think it's Halo 2

Unfortunately, that's probably exactly what they were thinking when they made that cover.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Rhindle said:
The developer is Climax's new Santa Monica studio.

I don't think this is a bad marketing strategy. If only a few percent of the people going to stores to buy Halo pick this one up an as well, it will be a modest hit.

You don't release a sci-fi movie in theaters the same day Star Wars comes out, and you don't release a Xbox FPS the same day as Halo 2. Doing so is STU-PIIIIIIIIIIID!

Ask the Governator. Sony (in one of their arrogant moves) released Last Action Hero the same day as Jurassic Park. BBBBOOOMMMMMB.

Rhindle

ManaByte said:
You don't release a sci-fi movie in theaters the same day Star Wars comes out, and you don't release a Xbox FPS the same day as Halo 2. Doing so is STU-PIIIIIIIIIIID!

Ask the Governator. Sony (in one of their arrogant moves) released Last Action Hero the same day as Jurassic Park. BBBBOOOMMMMMB.
The difference is that people don't go watch two movies at the same time. But they do buy more than one game at the same time. I do anyway. If I was marginally interested in this game, I'd be more likely to pick it up if I was going in to buy Halo than if I had to make the extra trip to get it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Rhindle said:
The difference is that people don't go watch two movies at the same time. But they do buy more than one game at the same time. I do anyway. If I was marginally interested in this game, I'd be more likely to pick it up if I was going in to buy Halo than if I had to make the extra trip to get it.

People don't buy one great FPS (Halo 2) and then decide to spend another $50 on a FPS that isn't as good (or hyped as much) as Halo 2.

The two games are going after the exact same market.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Rent or buy the game. Monolith produced a very enjoyable product that fits within the Tron universe quite well. I think the multiplayer is going to be better on the Xbox version so you also get a fun game to play on Live.

Rhindle said:
WHAT!?
i've gone on dates and with friends to see 2 movies in a row many times... even 3 a few times...

hahhahahaha "when corruption attacks, backup is your only protection"

ManaByte said:

Oh man, Jurassic Park was the least of that movie's problems. It was just awful. And actually I think it might have ended up making a slight profit anyway. It was a flop for Schwarzenegger because of how bad it was, and it was his first move after Terminator 2 (coming off of a movie that did over a half billion worldwide, a movie that barely passes $100 million looks pretty paltry).

Rhindle

ManaByte said:
People don't buy one great FPS (Halo 2) and then decide to spend another $50 on a FPS that isn't as good (or hyped as much) as Halo 2.

The two games are going after the exact same market.
Most people won't, obviously. But if even a small fraction does, a small fraction of 3 million sales (or whatever) is still a big number. The fact that it's the same audience is exactly the point -- you've got another product generating the store traffic for you, you're just giving them another thing to buy that they might find interesting.

WHAT!?
i've gone on dates and with friends to see 2 movies in a row many times... even 3 a few times...
I think most people like to eventually move on to other activities on dates, but whatever works for you. :)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I love how they highlight "killer app" at the same time they almost hide "Tron 2.0", really. It's the final bit that puts the cover at the same level of those pirate NES/Famicom clones.

gohepcat

Banned
Rhindle said:
Most people won't, obviously. But if even a small fraction does, a small fraction of 3 million sales (or whatever) is still a big number. The fact that it's the same audience is exactly the point -- you've got another product generating the store traffic for you, you're just giving them another thing to buy that they might find interesting.

I think most people like to eventually move on to other activities on dates, but whatever works for you. :)

Good god I'm glad you don't run my companey

pilonv1

Rhindle said:

I think the only way your theory works at all is if it's a budget title. Even then it's very iffy.

Blackbird

ManaByte said:
uhf04.jpg

"STUPID! You're so STU-PIIIIIIIIIIID!"

EXCELLENT movie :)

Kuni: "A swordfish! Mm, very tasty! Okay, Weaver, now listen carefully... You can hold on to your swordfish, or you can go for what's in the box that Hiro-san is bringing down the aisle right now! What's it gonna be?"
guy: "I... I'll take the box!"
Kuni: "Okay, Weaver, you took the box! Let's see what's in it... Nothing! There's nothing in the box! Stupid...! You're so stupid...!!"

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Could one not argue that the sheer amount of people getting Halo 2 and possibly using Live for the first time might lead them to conclude at point of purchase they'd like another FPS they can play on Live between Halo 2 bouts? Possibly?

Probably not.

I actually enjoyed te hell out of this game on the PC, and was looking forward to picking up the XBox version. would've been a great XBL game. They reallyl waited too long to get this to market anyway. It's been over a year since the PC version was released. The slower summer season would've been optimal for game sales. I think they should still release it later at a reduced price. It's not a half bad game, but after Halo 2 the well will be poisoned so to speak. Everybody will have higher levels of expectation.

ManaByte

Gold Member
gohepcat said:
Good god I'm glad you don't run my companey

Exactly. The only reason anyone can defend such a stupid move such as this is if they work for the company that did it and wants to kiss ass in an attempt to further their career.

I think the only way your theory works at all is if it's a budget title. Even then it's very iffy.

It doubt it even works on budget titles. People don't want to buy two games of the exact same genre on the same day, especially when one is much better than the other.

Man, stupid stuff like this makes me not want to buy game. Which is a shame, though thankfully I've heard nothing but good things about the game.

Okay, got a question... so Monolith didn't work on the Xbox version, but what of the Mac version? How's that one?

YES, I AM A MAC PERSON, PLEASE DON'T RAPE ME!

Got a chance to play today and it's a blast on XBL. I will pick up a copy eventually but right now I've got like a 7 game backlog. I was a fan of the PC version as well, and I really like the game on XBL. With Halo2 and Ghost Recon 2 (in addition to Otogi2, GTA:SA, Outrun2, DOA:U and about 8 other games on my consoles and PC I'm working on), I probably won't grab this game until early 2005. Definately worth checking out....

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Manabyte is right. Someone in their marketing department really dropped the ball on this. They should've delayed this by a week or two to still make Black Friday and then feed off the new Xbox owners hungry for another FPS.

Brannon

This Game Will Die. Hard.

Sometimes you need to know when to just back the hell off from the competition and save it for another day. Tron, November 9th is that day. The residual sales are not worth it.

Then again I could be wrong, like on that 2nd day of November...[/endlesslybitterbastard:p]

Top Bottom