• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California cities consider adding a "Netflix Tax" to digital entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
To be clear I think that taxing non-polluting utilities is stupid. However, if California charges a tax on cable (and the article didn't make it clear whether they do or not), it's kind of unfair to not charge Netflix the same tax.

I can't speak to California, but in many jurisdictions cable taxes were implemented to recoup the cost of giving massive systematic tax breaks or cash handouts for cable companies to build infrastructure (in some cases, money that that the companies didn't use for the intended purposes...) -- I am fine with taxing the cable oligopoly into oblivion or nationalizing telecommunications infrastructure or otherwise engaging in targeted pro-consumer or pro-society investment, but not fine with just randomly flat-taxing popular things to fill the coffers.

This seems antithetical to net neutrality.

Edit:

By adding mandatory fees to one type of bandwidth, while not charging those same fees for another type of bandwidth you're giving explicit preference to one stream of bandwidth over another stream of bandwidth.

Which is why I said except for steam. Meaning in person purchases. Sorry for not being so clear.

WA does charge a sales tax for Steam purchases, as CA should.

Absent a compelling individualized objection, there is no basis not to charge a sales tax on digital goods. The only reason you didn't pay sales taxes before is because the internet didn't exist when they wrote the law. The free ride is and should be over.

Big Blue

Slippery Slope is best known as a fallacy for a reason. If you buy something or pay for services in a state with a sales tax, you should have to pay the tax, regardless of whether the good or service is digital or physical.
Even if your use of the internet is already taxed? Would that not be double taxation?? Not to mention that 9.4% is much higher than the sales tax in CA.

FLEABttn

Banned
Is it currently subject of any sort of sales tax? (Which are usually fairly low in the US)

Someone in here said sales taxes are not applicable to digital goods in CA, but I can tell you that the proposed utility tax is a similar percentage to what sales tax is in CA.

Extending sales taxes to digital goods in CA would have the same effect as this I reckon.

This kind of thinking is why Calexit would create a failed nation. They'd figure out a way to make everyone's effective tax rate over 100%.

Not really. California funds the rest of the Union because they are a net payer of funds. They take in less money from the Federal Government than they pay out and have for decades.

Even if your use of the internet is already taxed? Would that not be double taxation??

You pay a tax to get internet access just as you pay a tax to get water from your local utility. Then you pay another tax when you buy a water filter or hire a plumber, just as you should pay another tax when you buy a good or service on the internet. Why should your internet purchases be exempt from the sales tax when your physical purchases are not? I don't want to pay taxes is not an argument.

Acerac

Banned
I can't afford much these days, but I can afford Netflix. I suspect that is true of most people struggling. Make up that tax revenue from people who can afford to pay more.

There are more people struggling than those who are rich, it's much easier for them to take it from all of you.

Slippery Slope is best known as a fallacy for a reason. If you buy something or pay for services in a state with a sales tax, you should have to pay the tax, regardless of whether the good or service is digital or physical.

But bandwidth is bandwidth. You already pay a tax for accessing that service.

Not to mention, excise taxes like this are regressive taxes that disproportionately affect the poor.

If you're in favor of net neutrality and you're in favor of a progressive tax system, you can't support excise taxes like this.

Taxing Netflix is hardly what I'd call a tax on the poor. If you are poor you probably don't have the extra money for high speed internet and a netflix sub.

Excise taxes and sales taxes disproportionately affect the poor over the wealthy. They're regressive taxes where higher income earners pay a lower proportion of their income to the tax than lower income earners do. Whether there are more wealthy people because the filthy poors "shouldn't spend their money on Netflix" or something, is irrelevant to the fact that these are regressive taxes.

Tugatrix

1) Buy prepaid visa card
2) Put in fake out of state billing address
3) Use Netflix in California
4) Yes, this is tax fraud, like underreporting tipped income.
5) Dodge tax.

tumblr_nwyhu0N7Oo1qd3k9xo1_500.gif

Edit: Nevermind

I agree that this is a dangerous precedent. It only takes a little bit of mental gymnastics to line up Youtube next.

Illucio

Banned
Why was cable even needed to be taxed in the first place? Internet is expensive as is because of Comcast.

Yes the tax is for online services, but I find it incredibly illegal to tax one service out of many others. Someone could easily just make a video website and upload all the episodes from netflix in order to avoid being taxed.

So much wrong with this idea.

Yo we got all this weed money coming in leave Netflix alone you political dbags with your shitty policies and what not.

Does Comcast have anything to do with this?

Big Blue

You pay a tax to get internet access just as you pay a tax to get water from your local utility. Then you pay another tax when you buy a water filter or hire a plumber, just as you should pay another tax when you buy a good or service on the internet. Why should your internet purchases be exempt from the sales tax when your physical purchases are not? I don't want to pay taxes is not an argument.

Right, but Netflix wouldn't be taxed as a good or service. It would be taxed as a utility at a much higher rate. Hence, the double tax.

But bandwidth is bandwidth. You already pay a tax for accessing that service.

Not to mention, excise taxes like this are regressive taxes that disproportionately affect the poor.

If you're in favor of net neutrality and you're in favor of a progressive tax system, you can't support excise taxes like this.

Right, but Netflix wouldn't be taxed as a good or service. It would be taxed as a utility at a much higher rate. Hence, the double tax.

Yeah I think this is better resolved through an extension of the sales tax which should apply to online purchases/services.

I was never arguing in support of a new tax on Netflix or any other digital good/service. I'm arguing that those digital goods/services should always have been subject to sales tax. Amazon stopped fighting this tax issue years ago for good reason.

Say you live in a state with a 5% sales tax and Netflix costs $10/month. You should pay 50 cents per month or $6 a year in sales tax.

The sales tax is regressive but that fact isn't an argument about whether something should be subject to a sales tax in the first place or not. I'm more than happy to talk about tax refunds or credits as a way to try to blunt the regressive nature of the tax on lower income brackets, but that's not what the issue is here.

Excise taxes and sales taxes disproportionately affect the poor over the wealthy. They're regressive taxes where higher income earners pay a lower proportion of their income to the tax than lower income earners do. Whether there are more wealthy people because the filthy poors "shouldn't spend their money on Netflix" or something, is irrelevant to the fact that these are regressive taxes.

I agree it is a regressive tax, no argument there at all. Something like Netflix is an extreme luxury, it's not even remotely a necessity. Based on the demographics, its middle/upper class young people who use Netflix the most. Low income people are the smallest demographic for Netflix users.

I can't speak to California, but in many jurisdictions cable taxes were implemented to recoup the cost of giving massive systematic tax breaks or cash handouts for cable companies to build infrastructure (in some cases, money that that the companies didn't use for the intended purposes...) -- I am fine with taxing the cable oligopoly into oblivion or nationalizing telecommunications infrastructure or otherwise engaging in targeted pro-consumer or pro-society investment, but not fine with just randomly flat-taxing popular things to fill the coffers.

Ah, I didn't understand this. That makes a lot of sense.

Kevtones

I basically live in Pasadena but am classified as Los Angeles. Based Eagle Rock ftw.

Also Pasadena is rich as fuck and this is bs.

drawkcaB

Seems like it'd be a lot simpler to just lump all "media access" taxes (i.e. taxes on cable, internet, etc.) into a single tax then it would be to have sales taxes on a single company or even a single type of good/service.

Glix

I am okay with the govt doing this if the tradeoff is protection of net neutrality.

(in my fantasy world)

hermit7

Would the tax increase depending on how much you may use the service?

I am opposed to but understand a tax on the service (9%) or whatever the local city tax is, but fuck right off if your taxing based off the hours I watch.

Honestly though I am already paying extra for the access from my isp, so it just seems to be double dipping off people who are already paying for the internet.

I agree it is a regressive tax, no argument there at all. Something like Netflix is an extreme luxury, it's not even remotely a necessity. Based on the demographics, its middle/upper class young people who use Netflix the most. Low income people are the smallest demographic for Netflix users.

Do you have a source for this or is it a theory (?), because according to this 2015 research study -- Low income users are Netflix largest demographic. A profile of recent Netflix subscribers reveals that 42% of Netflix users earn less than $50k/year house hold income, 35% $50-$100k/year, and 23% $100k+/year.

$50,000/year is below the median household income in the United States, so, statistically, no, low income people are not the smallest demographic for Netflix users.

The idea that Netflix is just a luxury for the rich is wrong, considering that Netflix is much cheaper than cable, and over 80% of American households still have cable, so it's not like cable or Netflix are luxuries only reserved for the rich. Having cable or streaming Netflix does not indicate that you're rich.

Nephtes

9.4% tax when sales tax in CA is 7.5%. What's fair about that?

It's just funny is all coming from a community that leans very left of center to hear it complaining about taxes. Taxes that fund the very largess government left leaning people tend to like.

As an independent who wants a tiny government and less taxes, this is fun thread to read...

Do you have a source for this or is it a theory (?), because according to this 2015 research study -- Low income users are Netflix largest demographic. A profile of recent Netflix subscribers reveals that 42% of Netflix users earn less than $50k/year house hold income, 35% $50-$100k/year, and 23% $100k+/year.

$50,000/year is below the median household income in the United States, so, statistically, no, low income people are not the smallest demographic for Netflix users.

The idea that Netflix is just a luxury for the rich is wrong, considering that Netflix is much cheaper than cable, and over 80% of American households still have cable, so it's not like cable or Netflix are luxuries only reserved for the rich. Having cable or streaming Netflix does not indicate that you're rich.

This was the last numbers I saw, granted both of our surveys are a point in time.

entremet

Democrats sure love taxing people to death, man.

My issue is that guys like Trump get to write off tons of stuff, while normal folks have to eat this stuff.

Well yeah, you're paying for cable so you're getting boinked in all three ends by default.

I thought cable was outrageously priced (and it is) but then I started breaking down the numbers of what I'd have to pay to drop cable and get basically the same service as now and it really wasn't much different at all.

Once you add in the Hulu, Netflix, all the live sports subs, HBO, Showtime, the price of unbundled high speed internet, etc. I was barely saving. All this shit is just too expensive regardless.

Ryzaki009

eh...I don't think people should be advocating tax fraud with how much the Government spies on people.

Meh. They only care about it if they can use it against you when you're a threat to them. Piracy is too widespread for them to really bother unless they get something out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom