• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California governor signs bill banning orca shows and breeding orcas in captivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
California governor signs bill banning SeaWorld orca shows:

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Jerry Brown is approving legislation requiring SeaWorld to follow through on its plan to end killer whale breeding and entertainment shows.

The Democratic governor said Tuesday he's signed a budget bill codifying SeaWorld's plans in state law.

A provision if SB839 makes it a crime for an individual or corporation to breed orcas in captivity, punishable by a fine of up to $100,000.

great.
i hope this soon becomes one of those things people tell each other about how stupid people back in the day were.

Seriously. I don't get why people (mostly conservatives) hate the shit out of him.

Well, he did just veto a unanimously-passed bill that would have made diapers and tampons exempt from sales tax using the logic "tax breaks are the same as new spending." That's a remarkably shitty thing to do. I don't live in California, but if I did, I would vote against the person who did that forever.

But the orca breeding ban is definitely a good thing.

Well, he did just veto a unanimously-passed bill that would have made diapers and tampons exempt from sales tax using the logic "tax breaks are the same as new spending." That's a remarkably shitty thing to do. I don't live in California, but if I did, I would vote against the person who did that forever.

But the orca breeding ban is definitely a good thing.
Revenue decreases and new spending both have the same effect on the budget.

But I don't want to derail this thread.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm a bit mixed on this. Not so much because I want to see Orca's in captivity or what not but I know this has something pushed as much by the insane animal rights people as much as good natured folk who saw Blackfish and felt bad for whales. Something needed to be done but fuck in the animal rights people leading the charge don't want to stop here, those people are so off the deep end the make Flat Earthers look somewhat sane and competent.

Toxi

Banned
Why just orcas and not dolphins, seals, etc?
Orcas are huge, so they suffer more problems in captivity than other dolphins.
I'm a bit mixed on this. Not so much because I want to see Orca's in captivity or what not but I know this has something pushed as much by the insane animal rights people as much as good natured folk who saw Blackfish and felt bad for whales. Something needed to be done but fuck in the animal rights people leading the charge don't want to stop here, those people are so off the deep end the make Flat Earthers look somewhat sane and competent.
Uh, what?

"I hate some animal rights activists, so I'm not sure if I'm okay with any animal rights legislation."

HStallion

Orcas are huge, so they suffer more problems in captivity than other dolphins.

Uh, what?

"I hate some animal rights activists, so I'm not sure if I'm okay with any animal rights legislation."

Did you ignore all the parts where I said I'm for the decision but hate the way PETA and other zealous animal rights groups have latched onto this and what it entails to their further goals? I don't like the slippery slope arguments any more than anyone else but PETA is still going strong and their end game is absolutely insane. I'd rather not give them more power and legitimacy just to help some animals when in the long run their entire drive is bad for animals in general.

Did you ignore all the parts where I said I'm for the decision but hate the way PETA and other zealous animal rights groups have latched onto this and what it entails to their further goals? I don't like the slippery slope arguments any more than anyone else but PETA is still going strong and their end game is absolutely insane. I'd rather not give them more power and legitimacy just to help some animals when in the long run their entire drive is bad for animals in general.

They would have done their own study, etc. I doubt PETA had all that much to do with it.

Toxi

Banned
This didn't happen because of PETA. This happened because public support completely shifted after Blackfish, incentivizing the government to do something about it. The idea that PETA gains any legitimacy from this is bizarre.

Went to Sea World Orlando last month specifically because I knew this was coming soon and curiosity got the best of me. Thought I would see some protesters or something but it was nothing but a packed show.

So what are they going to do with the Orcas in California that are already there and doing tricks? Is there a sanctuary they will be transferred to? It would be a huge mistake to release them into the wild.

HStallion

This didn't happen because of PETA. This happened because public support completely shifted after Blackfish, incentivizing the government to do something about it. The idea that PETA gains any legitimacy from this is bizarre.

Because they've been pushing this for a long time. They were also pushing Blackfish before it was a big cultural phenomenon. Long before that and to this day they're also pushing some other totally insane plans that have no basis in reality. Perhaps its because I've dealt with PETA before and they are a disgusting organization that I'd rather none of their pushes ever come to light. The whale breeding and Seaworld is one of their more "sane" ventures but a lot of their other pushes are terrible for animals and people all around and I'd rather they stay as fringe as possible.

Arkeband

Banned
No, but it sure would be great if they did. No orca breeding and no daily fireworks scaring the crap out of people's pet would be just lovely.

Seaworld has daily fireworks...? That seems really strange, but then again the bar for entertainment there is set as low as "animal slavery shows", so loud noises and bright lights seems par for the course.

Mael

Because they've been pushing this for a long time. They were also pushing Blackfish before it was a big cultural phenomenon. Long before that and to this day they're also pushing some other totally insane plans that have no basis in reality. Perhaps its because I've dealt with PETA before and they are a disgusting organization that I'd rather none of their pushes ever come to light. The whale breeding and Seaworld is one of their more "sane" ventures but a lot of their other pushes are terrible for animals and people all around and I'd rather they stay as fringe as possible.

This has nothing to do with PETA.
If PETA supports not using dogs as cat food that doesn't mean we should all slaughter our dogs and feed them to our cats either.

HStallion

This has nothing to do with PETA.
If PETA supports not using dogs as cat food that doesn't mean we should all slaughter our dogs and feed them to our cats either.

Did I say anything remotely like that?

Xe4

Banned
Fuck Orca shows, and I'm not sure about a lot of stuff about Orcas, but is it normal to breed Orcas outside of having them for shows? I know many zoos play a large part in animal rehabilitation and breeding of endangered species. Is the same true of Orcas?

HStallion

You're the only one who brought PETA to this discussion.
We have no reason to believe the governor is going to go on a vegan crusade on California.

Yeah I brought PETA in but I wasn't stretching with that stupid analogy. I even said I'm for this in the end.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Orcas have no place in any aquarium full stop. There's nothing to even be mixed about. Highly intelligent social creatures, with expansive travel range and live to over 50 years (some matriarchs living as long as humans) in the wild.

Edit: How are you mixed on this because of PETA? Even if this legislation came as a result of PETA, it still doesn't make a difference where Orcas are concerned.

Mael

Yeah I brought PETA in but I wasn't stretching with that stupid analogy. I even said I'm for this in the end.

You think this was pushed by PETA like members more than actual good policy.
And you fear that this legitimize them in the eye of the public or give them influence.
We're telling you that it's not happening and no one gives a shit about PETA and other shitty organisations like that.

Christopher

These whales are being slaughtered in the wild...the trainers take excellent care of them.

Another victory for nonsense.

Macam

Banned
Seaworld has daily fireworks...? That seems really strange, but then again the bar for entertainment there is set as low as "animal slavery shows", so loud noises and bright lights seems par for the course.

Pretty much, yes, during the summer. It's been a contentious issue for a while since it scares a lot of people's pets across the city (one of my dogs goes into a full blown panic), let alone is really unnecessary. They could just use quiet fireworks or, you know, just not do it.

Fuck Orca shows, and I'm not sure about a lot of stuff about Orcas, but is it normal to breed Orcas outside of having them for shows? I know many zoos play a large part in animal rehabilitation and breeding of endangered species. Is the same true of Orcas?
No. Bred in captivity orcas cannot be released into the wild for population rebuilding. Nearly all the orcas at Sea World have been bred with just one wild male (he was caught in the 60's or 70's). So none of them know the wild.

Breeding was done for a variety of reasons. AndI do believe we have learned more about them than they would have otherwise. But there's so much breeding of animals everywhere from zoos to laboratories that its only punishing one name to go after orcas. But people like to have a name to blame and it was Sea World.

Good, enough with the Orca shows. They were cool when I was a kid, but we all know better now.

It's an easy fix for Seaworld, just replace them with a better choice of impressively large sea animal, like whale sharks.

moggio

Banned
Good, enough with the Orca shows. They were cool when I was a kid, but we all know better now.

It's an easy fix for Seaworld, just replace them with a better choice of impressively large sea animal, like whale sharks.

If there isn't enough room for Orca, why do you think there is enough room for Whale Sharks?

These whales are being slaughtered in the wild...the trainers take excellent care of them.

Another victory for nonsense.

It's physically impossible to take "excellent care" of an orca in captivity. Unless they magically invent glass that can hold trillions of gallons of water over hundreds of miles.

They're highly social animals with huge territories. They require constant companionship and constant stimulation because they're also highly intelligent. That cannot be adequately simulated in an aquarium. Captive orcas have health issues and shortened life spans. They're aggressive and socially stunted and it's just not a good life at all for a captive orca. Out in the wild, they're the top tier of top tier predators with an amazing ability to hunt and feed, so life isn't too bad out in the big blue ocean.

Orca populations are also stable and increasing now that multiple countries have put in laws banning whaling. But there is one thing that has hurt orca populations more than anything. And this law helps stop that.

Why is something cool for kid KeyBlader but not to kids now? Kids now seem to enjoy them very much.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Glad I was able to take my kids there earlier this year. I know it's not the best for the animal, but you don't truly appreciate the beauty of these animals until you can see them up close.

I love animals, but I do think zoo's and places like Sea World are fantastic for building awareness and conservation... you don't truly appreciate these animals and creatures from afar or on TV.

Getting splashed by a whale is a memory my kids will have forever.. and now they love whales.. and they understand why we should protect our oceans.

As somebody who lives in SD, I'm always surprised to hear about Seaworld in the news. I'm surprised that they still exist because nobody here ever talks about it. I think it's almost purely a tourist thing. Nobody here would even notice if it closed, let alone care.

numble

Glad I was able to take my kids there earlier this year. I know it's not the best for the animal, but you don't truly appreciate the beauty of these animals until you can see them up close.

I love animals, but I do think zoo's and places like Sea World are fantastic for building awareness and conservation... you don't truly appreciate these animals and creatures from afar or on TV.

Getting splashed by a whale is a memory my kids will have forever.. and now they love whales.. and they understand why we should protect our oceans.
They will still be able to do educational shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom