• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Black Ops is 3D Ready on 360/PS3/PC

Pooya

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-05-pc-ps3-and-360-black-ops-runs-in-3d

All three versions of guaranteed behemoth Call of Duty: Black Ops will support stereoscopic 3D at launch, Activision's announced.

You'll need a 3D telly or a PC that supports 3D, and active shutter glasses, of course. The PC version is NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready and supports stereoscopic 3D gaming using 3D Vision active-shutter glasses and NVIDIA GeForce GPUs.

"Development of stereoscopic 3D began as an R&D project, but once we saw what the technology brought to the Call of Duty experience, what a great fit and how immersive it was, we knew that we had to develop it for Black Ops," Treyarch studio head Mark Lamia said.

"Aiming down the sights of your weapons, flying in helicopters, rappelling down mountains, and moving through highly detailed environments are just some of the awesome experiences you will have in 3D with Black Ops.

"We made sure the experience is seamless for gamers to use with a simple menu option to enable stereoscopic 3D or disable it at any time whether playing in the single player campaign, multiplayer or Zombies."

Activision reckons Black Ops "could become the definitive 3D game experience".

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Awesome. I'm looking forward to it. PC version for me...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is it a Z-buffer test or regular 3D?

Since they mention an Xbox 360 implementation, I'm guessing a Z-buffer test.

Nirolak said:

I think you are right. It is alot easier to implemented that instead of true stereoscopy. But hey, if it works, it works.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Wii version gets a pair of red cyan glasses.
:lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
shinki said:
3D on 360? Really?
It can be done. I don't think they can reproduce the method used in some of the PS3 titles (1280x14** resolution), but they can definitely halve the resolution (technique used for Avatar game). That's pretty much the issue there. They won't be able to deliver 3D at the same resolution as the PS3s best examples. Of course, with a game like this, I doubt they could really take advantage of that higher resolution to begin with (without halving the framerate). It will probably run at a very low resolution on both systems when in 3D mode.

Pooya

Nirolak said:

sounds like it's 60fps in 3D mode too so probably yes

http://www.vg247.com/2010/10/05/eyes-on-in-la-call-of-duty-black-ops-goes-3d-in-all-formats/
When Treyarch ushered us into their Los Angeles studios to showcase their latest surprise – support for stereoscopic 3D in Call of Duty: Black Ops – it seemed too good to be true. Black Ops’ 3D mode will be a selectable option turned off or on at the main menu. PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 will all support the feature, and it won’t be bundled as part of a limited edition or DLC package – it’s shipping with the game as a standard feature. Continuing the “all silver lining, no cloud” theme is the framerate hit the game takes, which on the levels we were shown, appeared to be negligible.

There’s a caveat to this good news. Short of playing the entire game through in 3D mode – every multiplayer map, every single player level – we can’t know for certain if Treyarch has managed to essentially double the visual rendering load for Black Ops and still retained that silky, 60fps-or-close-enough framerate that is the hallmark of Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 CoD games. Treyarch head Mark Lamia is confident the team has. Showcasing a limited selection of levels from the game – as well as what had to be a CPU taxing round of multiplayer skirmish against AI bots – the game engine’s performance was rock solid. No dips in framerate, and a level of visual fidelity in line with what Treyarch has shown previously – only this time, it’s in stereoscopic 3D. Expectations of a low rez, stuttering mess were quickly abolished as the same scenes we’d seen at previous demonstrations were ran through in 3D smoothly and with no fuss.

Treyarch claims to have tested the 3D mode on virtually every stereoscopic 3D screen/active shutter product on sale at present, with the exception of a Sharp model that literally went on sale a week ago. Lamia claims the experience remains consistent regardless of which product they tried. As for concerns about side effects of prolonged exposure to the 3D effect – headaches and nausea amongst them, Lamia concedes not every gamer will be able to use the tech, but also points to a staffer who says he’s been racking up eight hours a day in 3D mode playtesting “for the past few months”. Not the most scientific example, but his point is clear: you may not need that sick bucket after all.

Lamia admits 3D TV support is an easier prospect for most game developers than say, film makers (“we already make games in 3D…all we’re doing is enabling stereoscopic 3D”), but it’s no light undertaking to throw in a feature like this at short notice. He insists the mode wasn’t initially part of the game’s scope, but rather a side project that blossomed into relevance at some undisclosed stage in development. It certainly has been a well-kept secret. When asked what the response from Microsoft’s seemingly 3D-averse Xbox team has been, Lamia almost succeeds in keeping a smirk off his face as he states they found out about it “quite recently”.

In full effect

When switched on, the 3D mode itself is hard to miss. All user interface elements – your HUD, notifications, awards – all come to the forefront. Your weapon model – and we’re can’t recall seeing better models on any platform than the ones we saw in 3D mode – points “into” the field of view. Zooming or looking down the sights blurs the weapon detail in the foreground while leaving the remainder of the screen crisply rendered. At one stage in the “WMD” level, we’re lying prone with the crossbow weapon equipped. Here a depth of field effect – and your cover – tightened points of focus and blurred the foreground. Standing up with the weapon cast the entire scene into sharp relief. Touches like this suggest the Treyarch team has been thinking carefully about ways to do more than just float squad name tags along a z-axis.

Character models – obviously already rendered in 3D – now have the illusion of more weight and heft to them. They look the same, but their motion has more spatial relevance, if that makes sense. So too it seems the effect will put the nail in the coffin of the “smeared-texture-on-a-wall-as-object” era. It’s ridiculously easy to discern which objects in-game have three rendered dimensions now, even at range. We couldn’t see any examples of Treyarch’s level design falling into that trap, however it was noted that wall detail that would affect its contour– like cracks – are now rendered via normal maps. No word on bullet marks, but don’t expect real-time, persistent terrain deformation just yet.

Combat plays out like the standard, non-3D mode version does. Any expectation that your crosshair floating in space might mess with your aim is for naught. The horizontal angle of convergence between the weapon model and crosshair is negligible, meaning that where the crosshair is, the bullets follow without concerns of objects approaching at odd angles.

Cut-scenes too enjoy more life. There’s a little uncanny valley tug-of-war going on here – we found the depth offered by 3D mode was allowing us to disregard elements that normally stood out. When a properly animated and rendered face is conversing with your character in 3D space, quibbles like non-animated hair tend to fade into the background, figuratively speaking.

Three’s the charm?

There’s not much doubt Treyarch will have selected the levels which show the technology in its best light, however there was no really telling giveaways that a nasty, stuttering framerate surprise was lying in wait at retail launch. We saw plenty of gunfire and particles flying about in the demonstrations Treyarch undertook, and no shortage of character models on screen. In short, we were shown levels and gameplay that were “typical Call of Duty” renditions – in line with the action one expects from the series.

While there’s been the odd optimistic rumour and rumble about 3D support in Black Ops, not many would have taken Treyarch to task if it hadn’t eventuated. 3D TVs and monitors are still relative newcomers on store shelves, and even Sony’s 3D FPS flagship Killzone 3 won’t be putting out a 3D mode until next year, something Lamia made veiled reference to in his presentation. Further Lamia claims the impetus and responsibility for including the mode was entirely Treyarch’s. Apart from the prospect of breaking fresh ground, if the 3D mode works throughout the entire Black Ops game as well as it did in our demonstration, it will won’t do Treyarch’s fortunes and profile within Activision any harm.

gogogow

No Move support? Was kinda hoping for that. Isn't it relatively easy to implement, since there's also a Wii version?

Interfectum

3D? fucking awesome.

the 5 people that will use this (and then shut it off after 20 minutes) thank you for taking the time to implement it.

-viper-

Banned
Interfectum said:
3D? fucking awesome.

the 5 people that will use this (and then shut it off after 20 minutes) thank you for taking the time to implement it.
u mad?

I have a Samsung 3D TV and it is the fucking business.

Wipeout HD and Motorstorm are simply breathtaking. You feel part of the gaming world in 3D. I saw the Crysis 2 3D trailer and I almost jizzed in my pants. It looked incredible.

3D >>>> 2D

My only dislike is the fact that the graphics look downgraded. The resolution drop looks pretty noticeable to me. 2D is considerably sharper.

DonMigs85

-viper- said:
u mad?

Wipeout HD and Motorstorm are simply breathtaking. You feel part of the gaming world in 3D. I saw the Crysis 2 3D trailer and I almost jizzed in my pants. It looked incredible.

3D >>>> 2D

My only dislike is the fact that the graphics look downgraded. The resolution drop looks pretty noticeable to me. 2D is considerably sharper.
It'll be even lower for Killzone 3, IIRC it's running at close to SD resolution in 3D mode. At least Super Stardust HD can still hold on to 720p and 60FPS.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I really like the idea of 3D now, but unfortunately I don't see myself jumping on with it for another few years.

-viper- said:
u mad?

3D >>>> 2D

i think most people that have experienced Motorstorm or Wipeout would take the resolution drop and play in 3D.

i mean, it'll be game by game, but motorstorm definately looks better in 3D even with all the corners they had to cut to get it working.

DonMigs85

I guess 3D support for all next-gen games is a given too, but I hope it doesn't hold back graphical advancement too much in the end.

DonMigs85 said:
I guess 3D support for all next-gen games is a given too, but I hope it doesn't hold back graphical advancement too much in the end.
that'll depend on 3D TV penetration.

and really, you could argue that HD support held back graphics this generation.

3D, like HD is graphical advancement though if you think about it.

Interfectum said:
I ain't even mad.

Nice to know you jizz your pants over stupid shit like that though. Thanks for the info.

What the fuck.

The thread is about that very stupid shit.

You don't care? Well, there's plenty of other threads for you to bitch in.

No_Style

Nirolak said:

So that's what it's called? Z-buffer test?

I've been referring it to "the one Batman: AA GOTY uses"

kitch9

Banned
subversus said:
I heard 3d is not good for eyes, so I'll never jump on it probably.

You see in fucking 3d....... Or hadn't you noticed?

Internet is full of tinfoil hat wearing head slappers, don't believe all you read on it.

Double D

How does one go about viewing 3d when you have
1)A 3D 'Ready' TV (240hz)
2) PS3

Glasses? IR receiver thingy? Is there some bundle I can get?

Pooya

No_Style said:
So that's what it's called? Z-buffer test?

I've been referring it to "the one Batman: AA GOTY uses"
No, Batman uses Anaglyph 3D, this is S3D but second images is extracted from 3D depth information rather than rendering a scene twice from two different views. we don't know for sure though how they've done it here in CoDBO yet.

kitch9

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
How does one go about viewing 3d when you have
1)A 3D 'Ready' TV (240hz)
2) PS3

Glasses? IR receiver thingy? Is there some bundle I can get?

Is your TV an actual 3d TV, as you would have got a set of glasses with it and it should just work?

If your TV is "just" a 240hz tv that does not mean it can do 3d as older TV's can only accept 60hz at the inputs.

You need a 3d TV that can accept a 120hz signal, period.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Interfectum said:
3D? fucking awesome.

That's the same argument folks had going from black and white to colour or 4:3 to widescreen.
I know more and more people jumping on the 3D bus. It's an awesome ride. You should try it sometime.

kitch9 said:

Internet is full of tinfoil hat wearing head slappers, don't believe all you read on it.

The world is different from having your eyes fooled into seeing a fake 3D image. People having headaches or eyesore after watching fake 3D seems highly unusual, when as you say... "you see in fucking 3d".

-viper- said:
u mad?

3D >>>> 2D

3D is cool and all, but knocking WipEout HD down to 30fps is not a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
kitch9 said:

oh c'mon, I'm not using internet opinions as a point of reference. That's what my doctor said and after watching Avatar I sort of agree.

Haunted

The question I usually ask in these threads is how far along adoption of DVDs LCD TVs HD TVs Blu-Rays 3D TVs is.

I don't think I need to here, pretty sure it's a negligible percentage for now.

cyberheater

Haunted said:
The question I usually ask in these threads is how far along adoption of DVDs LCD TVs HD TVs Blu-Rays 3D TVs is.

I don't think I need to here, pretty sure it's a negligible percentage for now.

What's your point. Every technological advancement has to start somewhere. In a couple of years, it'll be mainstream.

szaromir

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
The world is different from having your eyes fooled into seeing a fake 3D image. People having headaches or eyesore after watching fake 3D seems highly unusual, when as you say... "you see in fucking 3d".
Actually, your brain is fooling you at perceiving world as 3D. Your eyes send 2D images to your brain.

MMaRsu

cyberheater said:
What's your point. Every technological advancement has to start somewhere. In a couple of years, it'll be mainstream.

Will it really? I certainly don't want/need a 3dtv until I can have one without those glasses.

No_Style

miladesn said:
No, Batman uses Anaglyph 3D, this is S3D but second images is extracted from 3D depth information rather than rendering a scene twice from two different views. we don't know for sure though how they've done it here in CoDBO yet.

Thanks for clearing it up.

I welcome 3D and I think soon every tv will do 3D. It feels like some forget (or don't know) that you can still watch stuff on your 3DTV just like a regular HDTV in 2D.

cyberheater

MMaRsu said:
Will it really? I certainly don't want/need a 3dtv until I can have one without those glasses.

I don't understand the issues about folks wearing glasses. It's hardly onerous.
But the parallax tv's are coming for folks who don't like wearing them.

cyberheater

What I don't understand I why folks who aren't interested in stereoscopic 3D keep coming into 3D threads just to shit 'em up. If you're not into 3D gaming, fuck off to a different thread and stop shitting up these ones.

Does anyone know if the PC version is proper 3D rather then Z-buffer?

Glasses-free tv will struggle to get the effect right for everyone looking at the screen.

The problem is the viewing angle: there's a physical limit outside of which the effect no longer works.

Everyone will get to understand this as soon as the 3ds ships.

Glasses are the best way to achieve true stereoscopic 3d from every viewing angle.

Cyberheater said:
Does anyone know if the PC version is proper 3D rather then Z-buffer?

The article says it is 3d vision ready, so it should be proper 3d, as with any pc release that sports the "3dvision ready" label.

Top Bottom