• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Finest Hour Hype Thread (56K, time to upgrade!)

AirBrian

So everyone will be playing MP2:E, GTA:SA, or Halo 2, but do not overlook this game!

The arguably best game on the PC last year is coming to GCN, PS2, and Xbox in a couple of weeks, and so far impressions are very good. Remember, this is not a PC port, but a new version specifically for the consoles.

Like a lot of the other games, Finest Hour boasts a lot of authentically modeled weapons and environments and authentic sounds and authentically gruff military dudes who authentically tell them all about all the authenticity the game has. Honestly, who the hell care? We're interested in Finest Hour because it feels good. The action is fast, the guns are loud, and the vehicular battles are interesting. That's about all we really need to know.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/555/555361p1.html
All in all, it's safe to say that Call of Duty: Finest Hour is shaping up to be one of the finest WWII shooters ever to hit a console. The developers at Spark (who had previously worked on many of the Medal of Honor games) like to joke that they've spent more years working on WWII games than the actual war itself lasted, but it's that kind of dedication that translates to a highly realistic, gritty experience. They've been striving to make sure that every little detail is just right, and the proof is in the pudding.
http://cube.gamespy.com/gamecube/call-of-duty-finest-hour/554934p1.html
About six weeks away from release, Finest Hour is coming together nicely on the graphics front. The three missions we saw each had unique visual style, with plenty of bombed-out buildings and other remnants of war evident in the level design. The game features a nice shell shock effect that occurs when explosions happen too close to your character for comfort. When a grenade goes off right next to you, the action will slow down considerably and the sound will be greatly dampened, and the duration of this effect depends on how close you were to the blast. From what we could tell, the game looks pretty similar in terms of detail on multiple platforms, although the Xbox version did have a noticeably higher frame rate.
http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/callofdutyfinesthour/preview_6109967-2.html

call-of-duty-finest-hour-20041007074029721.jpg

call-of-duty-finest-hour-20041007074030440.jpg

call-of-duty-finest-hour-20041007074030987.jpg

call-of-duty-finest-hour-20041007074034784.jpg

call-of-duty-finest-hour-20041007074039190.jpg

call-of-duty-finest-hour-20041007074038596.jpg

call-of-duty-finest-hour-20041007074038127.jpg

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yes, I'm hyped. Although I've heard mixed impressions (mostly positive though), I'm still hoping it will turn out great. I never played the PC version since my computer can't cope with it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ohhh, this is a console game? I thought it was an add-on for the PC or something...

B E N K E

I've played it and it's nothing extra. 6/10-ish from the three levels I've played.

Graphics are far from as crisp as those screens and the controls are sluggish.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
God I even see screens of world war 2 games and I want to vomit. Please developers, MOVE THE FUCK ON!

B E N K E

Schafer - I interviewed the producer of this title and he said most of the team hade been working on ww2-games longer than war lasted by now, 6-7 years... :D

Doom_Bringer said:
Call of Duty is overhyped and I hate on-rail shooters.

A-freakin'-men. I loved the demo when it came out last year and waited 'til it came down in price before I picked it up. After playing it, I don't know what the hell people are smokin' when they said how great this game is. It's just as scripted as any MoH game. That supposedly "great" Russian campaign was ridiculously lame outside of the part where you have to defend a building from the inside against raiding Nazis. Hell, initial the invasion of Stalingrad level was only about a minute long.

I never did fully finish it. I got to the part where you take control of the US again in the Ardennes and just quit.

Top Bottom