• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can 695$ PC outperform PS5 Pro?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'll be interested to see what the comparisons are like when the pro releases, hopefully someone does "this is what you need to spend to get PS5 pro performance'" rather than "what performance can you get for PS5 pro's price?"

Certainly the $700 price has got people talking though, if it is possible you can bet someone will find a way.

Edit: I didn't actually watch the video before I posted, but I just looked at the end of it and the guy makes a point I was going to, which is that once you have the PC hardware, you can make upgrades as you go along, so you can make the point that value is a bit longer lasting with pc. But that argument is just "spend more money" which rather undermines the "can you do it for $700?" premise!

Last edited:

Seomel

Neo Member
I think people should wait until ps5 pro is out and df or michael from ign has done propere comparisons of different titles.

Axelon

Neo Member
Hope you're this financially conservative with modern consoles that have monthly online subscriptions, no price drops, no exclusives and have far worse price to performance than PC
One thing no one talks about. Online. (Quickly skimmed the video so maybe he talks about that?) You're going to pay $80 a year unless you only play F2P or single player. Add that up with how long the Pro will last until the PS6 and you get the real price.

I mean I got a PS5 and don't play online since I play online on my PC, but if the PS5 Pro was my only console I would be paying $80 a year.

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
I wouldn't calculate like that.

Let's say PS5 pro lasts 4 years and you want to play online.
Online PS5 Pro 72 Euro * 4 = 288 Euro
Online Pc = 0 Euro

And with sites like keyforsteam you don't have to pay 70-80 Euro for every game. I would rather compare it to a 1.200-1.500 Euro Pc.

laynelane

One thing no one talks about. Online. (Quickly skimmed the video so maybe he talks about that?) You're going to pay $80 a year unless you only play F2P or single player. Add that up with how long the Pro will last until the PS6 and you get the real price.

I mean I got a PS5 and don't play online since I play online on my PC, but if the PS5 Pro was my only console I would be paying $80 a year.

Besides the fact that there are people who don't purchase plans to play online (like me), even the basic plans include monthly games and discounts for the store. Depending on whether a person uses those discounts and/or plays those games, the annual fee could possibly be covered (or partially covered or surpassed) by those savings. Basically, counting it in as part of the "real price" is not valid in practice.

Utherellus

I mean let's think about it:

This PC will support DLSS/Xess/FSR.
You could even enable frame generation with Lossless Scaling, doubling your frame rate.
You could fine tune settings and optimize them for best performance/look ratio.

And if you don't need/have 4k monitor, just "cheat" by targeting 1440p which will give you a headstart both in quality and performance by sacrificing resolution.

In short, many things could be done and tinkered around.

SmokSmog

8GB VRAM GPU = garbage
16GB RAM isn't cutting it anymore

2024/2025 PC should have at least GPU with 12GB VRAM as a bare minimum. and 32GB RAM.

This 1000$ PC would be close to PS5 Pro in raw GPU raster ( slightly slower) with AI DLSS and FG.
CPU of course way faster than the mobile Zen2 in consoles with only 4MB L3 per CCX.

114d73b0d95a3dd7d5233584af649352aeb5c4053a972db453ab795b521a7783.png

Last edited:

Fahdis

But does the PC come with a disc drive and a stand? Oh, wait…

Honestly, physical media isn't a flex knowing full well you have a finite time on this planet. Don't know why people believe they will live forever? Yea, you can own a license on a physical format but chances are your "things" will be sold off within 2 generations or will catch fire or stolen or lost.

Trilobit

Online Pc = 0 Euro

And with sites like keyforsteam you don't have to pay 70-80 Euro for every game. I would rather compare it to a 1.200-1.500 Euro Pc.

Let's say my PC gets ransomware and they demand one million dollars to unlock it. Then I would compare it to a $1.000.700 PS5 Pro.

Parazels

Online Pc = 0 Euro

You get 💰
hundreds of "free" games on PS5 PRO,
not only online access.

You get 💩
zero free games on a pc.

Last edited:

Jakk

Another troll video by PC maniacs

They are already obsessed with a console that is not even ON SALE yet, let alone released....
Who cares if it's on sale or not, we already know the specs. What if you tried using some arguments instead of calling people trolls and maniacs?

PS5 Pro just isn't a good value for that money, especially when you factor in the ridiculously overpriced disc drive, higher price of games and required PS Plus for online play. That being said, it isn't really targeted at people who are after the best value for given price, and I'll probably get it just for GTA VI and hopefully some interesting Sony first party titles that are coming.

Who cares if it's on sale or not, we already know the specs. What if you tried using some arguments instead of calling people trolls and maniacs?

PS5 Pro just isn't a good value for that money, especially when you factor in the ridiculously overpriced disc drive, higher price of games and required PS Plus for online play. That being said, it isn't really targeted at people who are after the best value for given price, and I'll probably get it just for GTA VI and hopefully some interesting Sony first party titles that are coming.

That's the problem you read specs number on a piece of paper, without knowing the final results

But hey, if it helps you sleep at night, carry on....

I'll just keep on laughing

Last edited:

BlackTron

As someone who games on PC daily. We need it in our hands to be sure but I don't really think 5 Pro is bad value. I think it makes sense for a certain class of customer. People who don't want to have to choose between performance and fidelity, but already liked PS5 for every other reason. It's a plug and play 4060.

Even if you could magically make a PC with Pro parity (you can't) it will still be lacking everything that made that customer like the PS5 console to begin with.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
So, what is a good price for the best console in the world? 100 bucks?

Why don't you buy 💩
a $100 pc then?
😂😂😂
Let's say my PC gets ransomware and they demand one million dollars to unlock it. Then I would compare it to a $1.000.700 PS5 Pro.
You get 💰
hundreds of "free" games on PS5 PRO,
not only online access.

You get 💩
zero free games on a pc.

I've seen my share of stupid comments but damn, there always someone to up the game.

jumpship

Online Pc = 0 Euro

It's funny, Microsoft introduced paid online play back in 2002 when it was free on rival consoles. I don't remember seeing these type of cost comparisons between PC and Xbox in the 22 years since. Yet today that's all we ever see but only with PlayStation.

Jakk

That's the problem you read specs number on a piece of paper, without knowing the final results

But hey, if it helps you sleep at night, carry on....

I'll just keep on laughing
We have already seen analyses of some titles running on the Pro, so I really don't know what are you expecting to change. Why should this help me sleep at night? Like I said, I'm probably getting the Pro anyway. That doesn't mean it's a good value for that money when compared to PC.
Why don't you buy 💩
a $100 pc then?
😂😂😂
Do you consider that funny or am I missing something?

Top Bottom