• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can 695$ PC outperform PS5 Pro?

Bojji

That's the problem you read specs number on a piece of paper, without knowing the final results

But hey, if it helps you sleep at night, carry on....

I'll just keep on laughing

We know exactly the final result, use Zen 2 with underclocked 4070 and you have PS5 Pro. Use DLSS with it and you see final image from the console just imagine slightly worse image quality from PSSR.

There are no IBM, PowerVR or Toshiba exotic parts. Almost stock AMD GPUs and CPUs, there is no hidden power or secret sauce there to find. Only some small Api differences.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
GN is still among the best. Not sure what was the point Steve was making there. He hates consoles? Funny thing is, he did a review of the thermals and acoustics of the PS5 and came away impressed.

To be fair, that was with a limited number of games available at the time and, as I recall, some games performed better and Steve said others were comparable to 1070/1080. Also, Steve was focused on comparing games with 120fps modes.

We are probably going to see similar videos after PS5 Pro launches. I really don't see the point. We are still talking about two entirely different experiences.

Last edited:

laynelane

On PC you get free games with Epic every week which consoles don't get (yes I count those, I've got 200+ free games and a lot I actually play). Not to mention stuff like Amazon Prime gaming if you already have it for other stuff.

I also get basically the same discounts as those discounts on PS+ with using Steam/CDkeys and whatever else.

I'm not saying PS5 Pro is a bad price, it's that the PSN sub sucks and I consider it part of the price for people maining the PS5 Pro in these comparisons.

I wasn't really discussing PC vs. console. Just addressing your assertion that online plans are part of the Pro price. They're not due to there being too many variables. You think the PSN sub sucks and that's fine, but it still doesn't validate including its cost as part of the price of the Pro.

Topher

Gold Member
We know exactly the final result, use Zen 2 with underclocked 4070 and you have PS5 Pro. Use DLSS with it and you see final image from the console just imagine slightly worse image quality from PSSR.

There are no IBM, PowerVR or Toshiba exotic parts. Almost stock AMD GPUs and CPUs, there is no hidden power or secret sauce there to find. Only some small Api differences.

How do we know "exactly the final result"? There is no one to one equivalent in a PC. What you are describing is the best guess with the PC components that are currently available and PSSR is still evolving. We won't know the "final result" of what PS5 Pro can do until we have a lot more benchmarks and testing from third parties.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Why would you compare an open architecture system like PC with a closed and fully streamlined system like PS5? Is it to waste everybody's time while making YT money?

Well I am not clicking that.

Bojji

How do we know "exactly the final result"? There is no one to one equivalent in a PC. What you are describing is the best guess with the PC components that are currently available and PSSR is still evolving. We won't know the "final result" of what PS5 Pro can do until we have a lot more benchmarks and testing from third parties.

DLSS quality is right now the benchamark, currently PSSR is below that - it may reach or exceed it with time but all reconstruction tech evolves.

One equivalent PC is underclocked 4070 (or much overclocked 4060ti, haha) - this gpu can do anything PS5 can - also probably still better in RT and have Ray Reconstruction available.

delishcaek

Neo Member
That PC will run circles around a PS5 Pro if you are running low spec gamer configs.
ixf1nPA.gif

Seriously, I am all for PC gaming, it's my preferred platform but you can't really build a PC in the US that is comparable. Here in Germany it's different, though.

Topher

Gold Member
Doubtful. If you're going to get into PC gaming then don't half step. You'll just end up regretting it.

Agree. These videos are really doing a disservice to the PC gaming community. Does not make sense to build a PC with a console as your target.

DLSS quality is right now the benchamark, currently PSSR is below that - it may reach or exceed it with time but all reconstruction tech evolves.

One equivalent PC is underclocked 4070 (or much overclocked 4060ti, haha) - this gpu can do anything PS5 can - also probably still better in RT and have Ray Reconstruction available.

Eh....when any PC gamer is comparing GPUs then they are going to have multiple game benchmarks at their disposal and typically that is how they make a determination as far as how one GPU stacks up against another. Look at any analysis of a new GPU by GN and that is what you will see. We don't have that yet. So you very well may be right and PS5 Pro is equivalent to an underclocked 4070 on the spec sheet. But we will not have the "exact final result" without more testing. That's how every new GPU is approached so I don't see why it should be different here.

Interfectum

PC gamers can be quite peculiar. Aside from YouTubers creating content for views, what's the point of comparing a $700 gaming PC to the PS5 Pro? Who is this intended for? PC gamers wouldn't waste money on a subpar $700 gaming PC. Is it for gamers upset that the PS5 Pro is priced at $699 instead of $599? So rather than spending the extra $100, is the PC gaming community trying to attract these gamers with low-quality PC builds that they'd need to hook up to their TV—a process that can be cumbersome with a Windows machine, lacking the convenient suspend/resume features consoles have—or set up on a desk, requiring a monitor and PC accessories? There's no DualSense controller included in this build, so that's an additional $70 or more. It's such a strange argument.

Bojji

Eh....when any PC gamer is comparing GPUs then they are going to have multiple game benchmarks at their disposal and typically that is how they make a determination as far as how one GPU stacks up against another. Look at any analysis of a new GPU by GN and that is what you will see. We don't have that yet. So you very well may be right and PS5 Pro is equivalent to an underclocked 4070 on the spec sheet. But we will not have the "exact final result" without more testing. That's how every new GPU is approached so I don't see why it should be different here.

But you can't exactly run PS5 Pro GPU through PC benchmarks. DF guesses some console settings and do comparison in game but this is the best we can get.

We know that 6700 is more or less on PS5 level (sometimes better, sometimes worse) and Pro is 45% better than that in raw power. No rocket science here.

skit_data

When you start comparing accessoires you could also start including monitors and tvs. Most pc gamers use a ~300 Euro monitor, most console gamers a >500 Euro tv.

Yes you got a 80 Euro controller included, but you need this specific controller to use the PS. On pc you can buy anything starting with 2 Dollar Aliexpress controllers.
A controller is included though and if I were to suggest a comparable PC I'd at least find a fairly decent controller (it can be cheaper of course).
Going in to monitors when determining the value is a completely different matter in a sense (just like the segment about power bills vs monthly online fee in my post).

If we're going by what is included in the box though I think it's reasonable to at least account for a fairly decent controller if building a Pro-equivalent PC specs wise is indeed as easy as some suggest. Either that or subtract the price of a stand alone Dualsense controller (which isn't fair because Playstation probably add a good chunk on the price tag to make a good profit on those).

Last edited:

Cramoss

PC gamers can be quite peculiar. Aside from YouTubers creating content for views, what's the point of comparing a $700 gaming PC to the PS5 Pro? Who is this intended for? PC gamers wouldn't waste money on a subpar $700 gaming PC. Is it for gamers upset that the PS5 Pro is priced at $699 instead of $599? So rather than spending the extra $100, is the PC gaming community trying to attract these gamers with low-quality PC builds that they'd need to hook up to their TV—a process that can be cumbersome with a Windows machine, lacking the convenient suspend/resume features consoles have—or set up on a desk, requiring a monitor and PC accessories? There's no DualSense controller included in this build, so that's an additional $70 or more. It's such a strange argument.
This right here

damiank

But you can't exactly run PS5 Pro GPU through PC benchmarks. DF guesses some console settings and do comparison in game but this is the best we can get.

We know that 6700 is more or less on PS5 level (sometimes better, sometimes worse) and Pro is 45% better than that in raw power. No rocket science here.
You can use RX 7800 XT and downclock it. Not perfect but enough

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
A controller is included though and if I were to suggest a comparable PC I'd at least find a fairly decent controller (it can be cheaper of course).
Going in to monitors when determining the value is a completely different matter in a sense (just like the segment about power bills vs monthly online fee in my post).

If we're going by what is included in the box though I think it's reasonable to at least account for a fairly decent controller if building a Pro-equivalent PC specs wise is indeed as easy as some suggest. Either that or subtract the price of a stand alone Dualsense controller (which isn't fair because Playstation probably add a good chunk on the price tag to make a good profit on those).
I think it should be fair to shorten the pc budget by let's say 40 Euro.

Bojji

In europe price differences are more favorable to PC.

PS5 Pro in Poland will be 3499 zł/PLN. You can get better performing PC for 3 904,44 zł/PLN. That's just 11% more for system with better GPU, free online and cheaper games.

8dobYjg.jpeg

You can use RX 7800 XT and downclock it. Not perfect but enough

I don't think it's comparable without DLSS/PSSR equivalent. In raw power it's there for sure.

Last edited:

simpatico

Let’s look at library size. Surely a PS5 Pro has native backward compatibility with every PlayStation device ever. They’re waiting until launch day to talk about the UMD drive. There’s even a MemoryStick ProDuo port!

Topher

Gold Member

And Xbox Series X is more powerful than PS5. Those are two GPUs based on similar architecture and yet the results don't necessarily translate into games. So easy to say "no rocket science" but lessons learned over and over in this mess is the spec sheet isn't always accurate when actual games are throw in. What we don't know is more than what we do know at this point.

SmokSmog

In europe price differences are more favorable to PC.

PS5 Pro in Poland will be 3499 zł/PLN. You can get better performing PC for 3 904,44 zł/PLN. That's just 11% more for system with better GPU, free online and cheaper games.

Change the Zen2 3600 to a 5600 for the love of god :messenger_tears_of_joy: Zen2 is a disaster, 5600 will be night and day better for a little more money.

HogIsland

This is a pretty excellent option for $800, especially if you don't want to build your own:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 7600 (8C / 16T, 3.8 / 5.1GHz, 6MB L2 / 32MB L3)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 8GB GDDR6
  • 16GB (2x 8GB) UDIMM DDR5-5600
  • 512GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe 4.0x4 NVMe

684622_751339_01_front_zoom.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
This is a pretty excellent option for $800, especially if you don't want to build your own:

Big advantage for PC buyers is that pre-builts do go on sale much more often than consoles.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Quite decent, I wonder how much this'd cost without the pre-built tax.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Good job picking one on a $500 discount...

Try comparing RRP's, because that's what actually matters.

Yes, PC stuff is going to see more variation, but obviously that can cut both ways with "desired" stuff sometimes being priced well above RRP.

Also, if you want apples-to-apples dont forget to add a PS5 controller onto the cost, because like it or not its haptics/comms features are a key part of the PS5 package.

Skifi28

This is fine I suppose, but the GPU power is closer to the base PS5. Sure, the CPU is nice, but everything else very basic. That 512 storage will be full in a week. I'd rather spend a little more from the get go for a 4070 with 12gb of vram minimum and at least 1tb of storage than scrambling to upgrade in a year. Going for a cheap build could be more expensive in the long run.

HogIsland

This is fine I suppose, but the GPU power is closer to the base PS5. Sure, the CPU is nice, but everything else very basic. That 512 storage will be full in a week. I'd rather spend a little more from the get go for a 4070 with 12gb of vram minimum and at least 1tb of storage than scrambling to upgrade in a year. Going for a cheap build could be more expensive in the long run.
4060 will smoke og PS5. I agree about 512GB, but nvme storage is pretty cheap these days. If you want the 4070 I don't blame you, but like that's not this model.

One thing no one talks about. Online. (Quickly skimmed the video so maybe he talks about that?) You're going to pay $80 a year unless you only play F2P or single player. Add that up with how long the Pro will last until the PS6 and you get the real price.

I mean I got a PS5 and don't play online since I play online on my PC, but if the PS5 Pro was my only console I would be paying $80 a year.

IMO PC has always been a better price overall IMO. When you factor in games cost/online play. I just don't like it and it's a PIA to use from the couch.

Skifi28

4060 will smoke og PS5. I agree about 512GB, but nvme storage is pretty cheap these days. If you want the 4070 I don't blame you, but like that's not this model.
That 8gb ram is already a bottleneck in many games. In raster they're not too far apart, some of the best features a 4060 has over a ps5 is RT and frame-gen and they're both Vram intensive. I just think buying a card with just 8gb in 2024 is a terrible decision. Imagine living with it for the next 3+ years as games get more and more memory intensive. It's the 2gb GPUs Vs ps4 all over again.

Bitstream

These PC vs PS5 Pro threads offer some nice comparisons, but tend to miss the point as well. Simply matching the PS5 or PS5 Pro specs in raw CPU, GPU and RAM aren't enough to surpass the optimizations that devs can put in when they don't have to worry about OS bloat. If you only have 700 to spend, the ps5 pro will be the better value, and even if you could make a comparable machine in that price range, you'd be better off spending another few hundred and realllly blowing past the PS5 Pro.

Topher

Gold Member
Quite decent, I wonder how much this'd cost without the pre-built tax.

$500 on sale. I've rarely seen a 4060 rig at a price like that. Usually $1000 from less reputable companies.

Good job picking one on a $500 discount...

Try comparing RRP's, because that's what actually matters.

Discounts matter. You are much more likely to buy a PC on sale than you are a console.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's like 10% of the price and if one want to get really serious all the cables and shit should be included to.

And most haven't even started accounting for the long term cost of powering a PC. Sure, consoles having to pay for online is a bit of a scam but if we're gonna account for that then the monthly power bill difference should also be included.
My cousin has a sweet PC rig and it's is always on 24/7 and I remember doing the same back when I was primarily playing on PC. Almost as if it's part of the culture of PC gaming, I think of it as the monthly cost of PC gaming in that sense xD
This point isn't brought up enough and it is such a disingenuous thing. PCs are shit at power management. I cannot suspend a game to the background and put the PC to sleep. The PC will not sip 5-10 W of power while downloading games and updates while retaining the suspended games when sleeping. This would not be an issue in the USA or Saudi Arabia but it is a big problem in the UK, where energy costs are super high.

Topher

Gold Member
Or like me you can have a GPU die during lockdown and end up paying like 70% above RRP for a shitty 1650...

That applied to consoles as well during lockdown. Not sure what that has to do with anything now though.

Last edited:

HogIsland

These PC vs PS5 Pro threads offer some nice comparisons, but tend to miss the point as well. Simply matching the PS5 or PS5 Pro specs in raw CPU, GPU and RAM aren't enough to surpass the optimizations that devs can put in when they don't have to worry about OS bloat. If you only have 700 to spend, the ps5 pro will be the better value, and even if you could make a comparable machine in that price range, you'd be better off spending another few hundred and realllly blowing past the PS5 Pro.
the longer you own a PS5 Pro, the worse value it is. every year you're paying an extra $80 for nothing at all.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
4060 will smoke og PS5.
Lol, not it won't. It's like 5-10% faster and gets soundly beaten in first-party titles. People have to remember that the 3060 is quite a bit slower than the PS5 and the 4060 isn't that much better. It ends up being comparable to the PS5. Thank NVIDIA for increasing the gen-on-gen performance by like 15-20% and gutting the VRAM from 12GB to 8GB.

Now, if you include DLSS and RT (and why wouldn't you?), it does easily come out ahead.

Bitstream

the longer you own a PS5 Pro, the worse value it is. every year you're paying an extra $80 for nothing at all.
I hear where you're coming from, and having to pay for online play is pretty shitty, but along with online you also get a few free games every month. You may not like them, but every so often you'll come across something you'll like. Additionally, Steam bans thousands of accounts for hacking in online MP games every year, doesn't happen as often on console.

Point I'm making is, the conversation is more nuanced than it's typically presented.

HogIsland

Nothing at all? You get multiple games every month. PC doesn't have paid online, but saying you get nothing for $80 a year on PSN is false.
nothing at all. if the games aren't a totally bullshit and unwanted fake incentive, then playstation can make online free and you'll pay 80 just for the monthly games.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
If you're saying online should be free, I agree.

But saying you get nothing for the $80 per year is just not true.

They get around 3 games a month, which is around 36 games a year.
Do you get to keep these games after you unsubscribe? Haven't had PS+ in a long time, but last I did, you lost access to them. It's not nothing, but Epic offers free games every week and you keep them. I got some bangers like Death Stranding, Metro Exodus, Tomb Raider, and a lot more. How long they can keep doing this, I don't know, but the value of PS+ games is more comparable to Game Pass where they're effectively rentals.

Top Bottom