• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Fighting Games take full advantage of DS's functionality?

I'm trying to understand how using the touch screen (or dual screen) function will be able to benefit the fighting games that will land on the handheld. How exactly would one be able to use it for, say, Street Fighter or MK?

Can someone enlighten me?

mumu

Second screen could be used as a map :) Sorry. I think customizable controls, maybe also changing on the fly, might work. Basically you'd be able to pull off moves much faster that way. If it makes sense i dunno. There is certainly no way a stylus will help those games, only finger control. Maybe the thumbstrap.

lexi

Banned
On a demo reel showing Prince of Tennis, a combo of buttons is shown on the touchscreen, the player touching them in a particular order, acing the return of the ball.

Perhaps something like that could be used in a fighting game, I don't know.

Not every game has to use the touchscreen, although that might be interesting.

Since each DS player has their own screen (well two screens), multiplayer fighters like Smash Brothers and Power Stone could work much better on the unit, since the camera won't have to zoom waaaaaaaay out to show all four-eight combatants.

The bottom screen could have the camera follow your character, while the top screen gives an over view of the battle arena and where your opponents are.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
PkunkFury said:
multilevel fighting arenas with each screen representing a floor

Now that would be the way to go! Power Stone DS here we come!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
What about special moves being pulled off by making specific shapes with the touch screen? Like making a circle or a triangle or something, really quickly.

Just tossing out ideas...

GDJustin said:
What about special moves being pulled off by making specific shapes with the touch screen? Like making a circle or a triangle or something, really quickly.

I guess you never played Black & White. It doesn't work very well.

mumu

Mouse gestures suck, but finger gestures (or stylus gestures) could actually work because it's a lot easier to pull them off.

Rahul

GDJustin said:

Mouse gestures. It would work fine, and no, not like Black and White. Stylus gives you much more precision with that kind of movement than any mouse would. It's like the precision difference between digital and analogue. Remember playing Mario 64 and suddenly not knowing how to control him? That kind of difference.

Fighting games are just SCREAMING for gestures. Let's hope someone pulls it off comfortably.

Unison

The Virtua Fighter minigame on the (pretty neat) Sega Superstars Eyetoy, has you throwing punches and blocking specific parts of yourself and the opponent by using your image. To punch high or block low, you have to move to a different part of the screen. I imagine something similar could be set up with the stylus that allows you to target more specifically...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you could probably do a touchscreen punch-out. or poke-out, anyway. i'd like to see that. or maybe crossed swords ds.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
there's really no way that they're saying "tatsumakisenpuukyaku" in the original sfII. try as hard as you like; you'll never hear it. it's more like "sarkfupbuhrookup."

Anyanka

They should do a MK game where like they're fighting on the top screen on a bridge and then the bottom screen has the pit or whatever full of spikes, magma, acid, saws and blades and stuff. If you knock them off, they fall down into the second screen and hang onto the bottom of the bridge and like a little-mini game comes up where they have to help their character climb back up onto the bridge or else they fall into the trap of doom. This would in fact be the best DS game ever.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
drohne said:
you could probably do a touchscreen punch-out. or poke-out, anyway. i'd like to see that. or maybe crossed swords ds.

Whoa. That would be shit hot.

GG-Duo

drohne said:
there's really no way that they're saying "tatsumakisenpuukyaku" in the original sfII. try as hard as you like; you'll never hear it. it's more like "sarkfupbuhrookup."

za chap chap burket

Jonnyram

GG-Duo said:
za chap chap burket
This is so accurate it just made me hear the exact sample in my head :D
I think finger gestures would be excellent, personally. Much more accurate than fumbling with a d-pad and more interesting than the easy-type controls on the recent Capcom vs SNK2.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
soundwave05 said:
Not every game has to use the touchscreen, although that might be interesting.

Since each DS player has their own screen (well two screens), multiplayer fighters like Smash Brothers and Power Stone could work much better on the unit, since the camera won't have to zoom waaaaaaaay out to show all four-eight combatants.

The bottom screen could have the camera follow your character, while the top screen gives an over view of the battle arena and where your opponents are.
Hey that was my idea ;p

aoi tsuki

i had jotted down some concepts for a samurai game for PDAs that would use the touch screen . Originally, i had planned to use actual predefined strokes for individiual moves, but i realized that it would limit the range of motions and also depend too heavily on the gamer inputting the strokes perfectly to get the right move. i modified it so that the

i think it would work even better on the DS, since you have an entire screen dedicated to touch input. The touch screen would be used to control the path of the sword, with the D-pad (or action buttons for us lefties) controlling movement, and the trigger button differentiating between horizontal and vertical attacks. i really wish i had the programming skill to even get it to an experimental level, because i think it would work really well on the DS.

GDGF

Soothsayer
aoi tsuki said:
i had jotted down some concepts for a samurai game for PDAs that would use the touch screen . Originally, i had planned to use actual predefined strokes for individiual moves, but i realized that it would limit the range of motions and also depend too heavily on the gamer inputting the strokes perfectly to get the right move. i modified it so that the

i think it would work even better on the DS, since you have an entire screen dedicated to touch input. The touch screen would be used to control the path of the sword, with the D-pad (or action buttons for us lefties) controlling movement, and the trigger button differentiating between horizontal and vertical attacks. i really wish i had the programming skill to even get it to an experimental level, because i think it would work really well on the DS.

I was talking about something like this with some friends of mine. It was my eventual hope that Square could do a new Bushido Blade type game with touchscreen input.

Top Bottom