• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you defeat Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono

Banned
I can't take this anymore. :(

My dad has it. My mom does. Depression in high school set it off big time.

I have obsessive thoughts like:

1- Disgusting and repuslive images that are just on repeat in my brain. If I see some creepy pic on the net (just yesterday I came across something to do with.. ::shivers::.. number 2. :( ) it just won't go away. Then I develop more thoughts and worry if I'll have to live with it the rest of my life and just take hours thinking about it trying to "rationalize" my way out of it.

2- Excessive religious or moral doubt. If you read the thread I made about women and religion then you'd have an idea of how crazy I am.

3- Thoughts about every embarrasing and humilating experience I ever had. An anime character that looks 1% like some one I know and hate? oh the flood gates open then and i'm fucked. Thread after another my brain opens up past memories that I want to go away. They come back and I feel as bad as I used to feel WHEN THEY WERE HAPPENING. I can't move on. They come with a barrage of emotions-- this is the worst part. >__<

And they pop up when the slightest connection is made. reading the word "embarrased" or seeing the smily :eek: or reminds me of something and that of something else and the cycle continues on and on. Lately when I download anime my blood pressure goes a bit up and I feel anxious and confused. It's because I'm afraid of the new "battles" my brain will have to go through while watching them and just feeling more anxious because I'm having those obessive thoughts that I should not.

then I worry, and have more obessive thoughts, and what exactly classifies as obessive thoughts. Maybe others should be in "anxiety-disorder" and some are not described with 100% accuracy on the website so there's a chance theyr'e not part of OCD but does that mean I'm fucked and yet ok? I don't know.

4- other things include harming others. especially kids. I feel uneasy when I pass kids on the street and if there's a car some where it freaks me out. I remember when I was a kid my bike got carried away into the street and my dad made a huge mess and started a fight over it but I'm not sure if that's why.

5- everything must be balanced or else it's not "right." Of course there's no logic for this balance. if Anbu does not sub licensed anime but they work with Aone and they do its' just not right. I can't accept this new information. Not because I don't like it but because I thought Aone doesn't sub licensed anime too and now I feel like I have to reboot my brain but I can't. I can't go back and continue playing Remake on my gamecube because even though I got used to the C-controls there's a new RE with a better camera system. I don't know what's going on here. :(

Some links:

http://www.ocfoundation.org/ocf1010a.htm

http://familydoctor.org/x1746.xml

If you read this far, then congratulations. I can't give you a cookie but you can always watch One Piece: link.

Fifty

Good luck with it.

Good luck with it.

Good luck with it.

Seriously though, it sounds more like an anxiety disorder than OCD.

Fatalah

Best thing I do is try to not think about it. Just push off the weight just as you do when you KNOW you have a test tomorrow, but you're out partying with your friends.Make the OCD non-existant by thinking its not there.

"Man, I've having fun with my buds but...I have that calc test tomorrow and...HEY I LIKE THIS SODA! Its so good!"

Tell me if this works for you. Push it away!

**I'm not a medical doctor.

yoshifumi

Banned
i've got a lot of those obsession sort of things but i don't think i have full blown ocd...i'd say i have some sort of anxiety disorder. most people diagnosed with ocd have both the obsessions with compulsions, while you seem to just have the obsessions, which i think are far more common in people than having an actual disorder.

the basic guidlines for diagnosis in current psychological diagnostic manuals are:

obsessions
compulsions
patient must recognize that the obsessions and/or compulsions are unreasonable
worries cannot concern real problems

it's really a thin line between what you could consider obsessive thoughts and behaviors, because it's sort of a subjective thing.

from your description, i'd say you have the obsessions, to a certain degree. you don't seem to have the compulsions, unless there's something else you didn't mention. also, some of your problems listed could be perfectly reasonable problems, just a little bit of an overreaction to them. personally i'd say your problem isn't too serious, but there is a problem, one that probably couldn't hurt to get checked out.

yoshifumi

Banned
bear in mind that i'm no licensed psychologist or psychiatrist or anything. but i am studying to become one i guess...well, it's currently in debate.

but my information comes from the last abnormal psychology class i took. which i actually found interesting so i paid attention.

Chrono

Banned
lol no I don't do drugs. :p

Fatalah: yeah that's pretty much my only weapon right now so I try it all the time.

Yoshifumi: thanks for the info. Yeah I mostly have the obsessive parts but not many compulsions. I don't know about going to a doctor as I'm not the therapy type and I doubt he/she will give me drugs as my case isn't that serious. I mean I've read about people who cry and can't do anything if they don’t' count the stairs before climbing them. O__o

I do notice that I feel better when I work really hard on something like preparing to a test or do something productive (finishing games doesn't count :( ) and the opposite is true when I'm feeling really guilty and bad: thoughts/obsessions escalate to higher levels. My goal right now is to not give it time trying to "rationalize" my way out of it and just try to forget about and push myself to do something (play a game, study, etc...).

Mason

Yeah, that doesn't really sound like OCD, at least in all the forms I've ever seen it. I'm no doctor, though.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I had an OCD, and I beat it (although I gotta say yours does sound much worse than mine ever was)

Hell guy, you might just want to bite the bullet and go see a shrink. No shame in that.

Kuramu

chrono, though i still have to fight off my frequent hypochondria, i managed to get rid of my constant dwelling on bad thoughts with a simple technique. i came up with word, snagulard in my case, and gave that word a certain amount of power. whenever i would dwell on something too much, i would question whether it was useful to me to think about it further. if no is my final verdict, i would set it in stone with snagulard, then i would repeat snagulard in my head everytime the thought crept back. takes some practice, but after a while, it's like a magic pill.

the reason it doesn't work on my hypochondria is that i'm never conviced i should ignore symptoms that could kill me if ignored. heh, this week i thought i had rabies and tetanus. hey, it could happen ;p

Chrono

Banned
Kuramu said:
chrono, though i still have to fight off my frequent hypochondria, i managed to get rid of my constant dwelling on bad thoughts with a simple technique. i came up with word, snagulard in my case, and gave that word a certain amount of power. whenever i would dwell on something too much, i would question whether it was useful to me to think about it further. if no is my final verdict, i would set it in stone with snagulard, then i would repeat snagulard in my head everytime the thought crept back. takes some practice, but after a while, it's like a magic pill.

the reason it doesn't work on my hypochondria is that i'm never conviced i should ignore symptoms that could kill me if ignored. heh, this week i thought i had rabies and tetanus. hey, it could happen ;p

That's a good idea. My cousin who's a psychologist I think recommends using these "mind-associations" to hammer in certain thoughts into your brain.

To me though it's a double-edged sword. Just after reading your post I spent 30 minutes on my sofa trying to sort things out. wtf? Yeah I know. What happened is that your post gave/reminded me of the legitimacy and usefulness of those associations and that reminded me that associations is where 50% of my obsessive thoughts come from-- a theme in a movie, a certain word, eye color an anime character (example green = green eyed asshole I knew), a certain blend of colors in a magazine, all of those just "trigger" feelings/memories/just random stuff that makes me feel horrible. >__<

I'll definitely try using that technique though. What I mostly do however is try to "modify" the images/thoughts in my head to a different more pleasant one and try to do that every time they pop up so that hopefully after some time the "new" image/thought is what comes up.

Doth Togo

Fifty said:
Good luck with it.

Good luck with it.

Good luck with it.

I was thinking anxiety disorder as well. Never fear, Effexor is here!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Chrono, I have a question. Are you saying that when you get a thought or an idea in your head, does that one idea remind you of another thing, which reminds you of some semi related thing, which reminds you of another and another ad infinitum? I mean do you sometimes go off on uncontrollable mental tangents and whatnot?

How often does this happen?

Chrono

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
Chrono, I have a question. When you get a thought or an idea in your head, does that one idea remind you of another thing, which reminds you of some semi related thing, which reminds you of another and another ad infinitum? I mean do you sometimes go off on uncontrollable mental tangents and whatnot?

Yep. I try to "trick" the cycle into going into something good and thus "ending" it some times. Like when I remember some bad memories having to do with high school I say to myself that I have a new life now and if that doesn't work I just shoot the fuck out of every one I knew and blow up the school (in my head of course). Strangely the violence isn't as annoying as the disgusting or humiliating stuff.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Wow, that's rough.

This is a strange question, and I mean no disrespect by asking it, but do you ever hear voices that aren't there and the like?

I've had that. Especially this.

1- Disgusting and repuslive images that are just on repeat in my brain. If I see some creepy pic on the net (just yesterday I came across something to do with.. ::shivers::.. number 2. ) it just won't go away. Then I develop more thoughts and worry if I'll have to live with it the rest of my life and just take hours thinking about it trying to "rationalize" my way out of it.

Just chill out. Nothing is as serious as you think it is. Take a minute, and just try and step back. Go do something that brings you joy. Get into sports. Take it one day at a time, and above all else chill out. It's ok, really it is.

Chrono

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
Wow, that's rough.

This is a strange question, and I mean no disrespect by asking it, but do you ever hear voices that aren't there and the like?

lol no I don't hallucinate. No matter how annoying and repetitive the thoughts get I can still differentiate between my imagination and the real world. I day dream but everybody does that. :)

Just chill out. Nothing is as serious as you think it is. Take a minute, and just try and step back. Go do something that brings you joy. Get into sports. Take it one day at a time, and above all else chill out. It's ok, really it is.

I do that and it helps, but it just doesn't go away completely. It's more like as if my brain is "stuck" replaying a file over and over and the best I can do is for me to ignore it until wanes in the back ground.

Just now I watched the first episode if Gantz (an anime) and in the subtitles I read the word "air head." now that word was used a lot but a professor in a class I didn't like and again it "resurfaced" but it took me a minute to get over and just left it there in a corner of my head and continued watching. My brain has been like this for a long time and I don’t think I'll be able to change it completely but I can minimize it and that's my goal right now.

Sergenth

To me, it sounds like your mind is on the defensive, like you're trying to anticipate bad times because you remember so many of them.

You should get off the bad thought loop by creating something more interesting than things you don't like to think of. I'd remember back to childhood, before bad things started happening, when your mental model of the world made sense, and was promising. Grow something cool from that. Nobody can make light of it now... they all wish they could think of doing the same, with their shit-lives clearly in focus instead.

To make a computer analogy of it, you need to clean all of the icons off of your Desktop, put them in some random folder deep in a sub-directory of your least-used HD partition. Then, go back to the folders where you keep your old files from the 486 days... look through them a bit, and find the ones that make you think, "Shit! I was on to something neat here!". Continue work from there. Fill up your Desktop with MP3s from new web sites.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'd talk to a professional. Maybe you're not the "doctor type" but the only real standard for how bad your problem is is how it's effecting your life. And to be honest, that sounds like some pretty wretched mental states. I'm sure you can get through your life just fine, I meet people that have similar issues all the time who do as well...but why would you if the chance is out there to be happier?

Belfast

Yep, I'd agree with anxiety of some sort, because some of those symptoms sound exactly like what I've developed over the past couple of months. Especially #1. :(

And #1 is haunting because even the stupidest thing could set it off. I sometimes see a situation playing out in a movie or on TV and even if I know it would be IMPOSSIBLE to find myself in said situation, my mind plays through it anyway. I start to think about how horrible it would be to be in that situation and its hard to get it completely out of my head. Probably one of the most influential things lately has been crime/crime dramas/A&E specials/etc. that highlight killings and killers, especially the crazy ones. Now, I don't think I could ever hurt someone, and I know I'm not actually crazy, because I've read, technically, crazy people aren't even aware of their state. So if I'm aware of my state, I'm not. Still, my mind like to play out for me, whether I like it or not, situations involving going nuts and hurting people.

Even if I would NEVER do it in real life, it pains me, a lot, to even being to think about these things.

There's nothing wrong with a good imagination, but these state of mind makes your imagination feel like its on a runaway train. It sucks, big time, and it sucks even more that these problems have only developed in me over the past few months. Thankfully, they seem at least somewhat alleviated lately, but I don't know if that's me getting better or just getting used to it.

The worst thing is that it incapacitates your ability to DO things. Even if you know how irriational your fear is, it can still stop you from enjoying lfie.

These things CAN be treated with drugs and therapy, but the combination is different for everyone. Some drugs make people worse, others make them better. Some people can overcome these things with therapy alone, eschewing drugs altogether. Taking drugs can be pretty scary, but I would advise you to go see a psychologist, one that will just talk with you, not one that will prescribe drugs and send you on your merry way. Talking certainly doesn't hurt.

way more

Belfast said:
Yep, I'd agree with anxiety of some sort, because some of those symptoms sound exactly like what I've developed over the past couple of months. Especially #1. :(

And #1 is haunting because even the stupidest thing could set it off. I sometimes see a situation playing out in a movie or on TV and even if I know it would be IMPOSSIBLE to find myself in said situation, my mind plays through it anyway. I start to think about how horrible it would be to be in that situation and its hard to get it completely out of my head. Probably one of the most influential things lately has been crime/crime dramas/A&E specials/etc. that highlight killings and killers, especially the crazy ones. Now, I don't think I could ever hurt someone, and I know I'm not actually crazy, because I've read, technically, crazy people aren't even aware of their state. So if I'm aware of my state, I'm not. Still, my mind like to play out for me, whether I like it or not, situations involving going nuts and hurting people.

Even if I would NEVER do it in real life, it pains me, a lot, to even being to think about these things.

I do that, but usually from the cops point of view.

And Chrono, if you're not doing drugs this sound like something you can get over or at least deal with. Good luck.

Belfast

Heh, yeah, I wouldn't want to be a cop and have to deal with these kinds of things.

The mind-boggling part of all of this is that just 3 months or so ago, almost NOTHING would phase me. Yeah, maybe death, mutliation, etc. was disturbing, but I wouldn't DWELL on it.

http://www.zoloft.com/index.asp?pageid=14#treatable

Seriously I would consider talking to your doctor. Ask him about medication like Zoloft for it and go seek counsiling. Zoloft isn't addictive at all and it might help you out. Why not give it a shot?

Of course I'm no doctor so I can't really prescribe anything for your situation but please go see I'm. I'm currently on Zoloft and its been helping me out.

maharg

idspispopd
yoshifumi said:
i've got a lot of those obsession sort of things but i don't think i have full blown ocd...i'd say i have some sort of anxiety disorder. most people diagnosed with ocd have both the obsessions with compulsions, while you seem to just have the obsessions, which i think are far more common in people than having an actual disorder.

the basic guidlines for diagnosis in current psychological diagnostic manuals are:

obsessions
compulsions
patient must recognize that the obsessions and/or compulsions are unreasonable
worries cannot concern real problems

it's really a thin line between what you could consider obsessive thoughts and behaviors, because it's sort of a subjective thing.

from your description, i'd say you have the obsessions, to a certain degree. you don't seem to have the compulsions, unless there's something else you didn't mention. also, some of your problems listed could be perfectly reasonable problems, just a little bit of an overreaction to them. personally i'd say your problem isn't too serious, but there is a problem, one that probably couldn't hurt to get checked out.

Well, I haven't read a lot about OCD (there are people in my family with other psychological issues, so I know some about other similar issues) but this is in line with my understanding of it. I just want to add that self-diagnosis is not really a good idea, especially if you already have some anxiety issues. Talk to your family doctor, who'll have a better idea of:
a) the surface symptoms
b) other *physical* problems that can be causing psychological issues
and if they think it's likely to be purely a brain issue, they can probably direct you to a psychiatrist. In that case, only a psychiatrist can tell you if drugs will be helpful or not. It's not something you can judge on your own.

Psychological drugs are much more subtle than they used to be as well. Used to be anything you could take to affect brain chemistry had horrible side effects, so they were only prescribed in extreme cases because small doses had little effect. Nowadays though, even the (first line) drugs for extreme psychosies carry at worst the typical weight gain/nausia/sleepiness/sexual dysfunction kind of side effects. The extreme drugs are reserved for extreme cases.

A lot of good advice has been offered in this thread already, but the problems you describe remind me very much of the issues I used to have up until a few years ago, so I thought I would share my opinion. I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but have you considered the possibility that you may suffer from Adult ADD? Maybe you've seen the commerical on television. While I certainly don't advise self-diagnosis, it's likely you're going to do it anyway, and most of the comments suggest it is an anxiety disorder, so I wanted to give you another option to think about.

Let me address your points individually:

Chrono said:
1- Disgusting and repuslive images that are just on repeat in my brain. If I see some creepy pic on the net (just yesterday I came across something to do with.. ::shivers::.. number 2. :( ) it just won't go away. Then I develop more thoughts and worry if I'll have to live with it the rest of my life and just take hours thinking about it trying to "rationalize" my way out of it.
First, can I ask how you come across these images that you can't get out of your head? Most people, if they've been on the internet long enough, have mistakenly clicked on a goatse or tubgirl link, but the way you've written this implies that this is a frequently occuring problem. Perhaps you are visiting the wrong websites? Sites like SomethingAwful can be entertaining, but for someone like you, they are virtual minefields of questionable content and misleading links. Maybe it's the temptation of seeing what's on the other side of that link, or maybe you just enjoy other content on those sites. But if they are harming your mind, then any enjoyment you get from these places is not worth the psychological damage it incurs. Also, if you are treading into darker sites, you would do good to quit. Vile and disgusting things most people will never encounter in their lives take little effort to find on the internet, but if it upsets you, there's no reason for you to visit places even peripherally associated with that material.

Chrono said:
2- Excessive religious or moral doubt. If you read the thread I made about women and religion then you'd have an idea of how crazy I am.
I did take a look at your thread. It seems like you spend a lot of time thinking. How long were you debating that issue with yourself, before you posted it? Not to mention that this was triggered by something as innocuous as channel flipping, yet you allowed this random sound bite in a documentary fill your mind with questions. Which is not to say that there is no place for contemplation and trying to understand the world, but not everything is worth such serious thought. Suppose you had the answers to the questions you asked in your thread. Would it matter? You obviously disagreed with the person on television, but his opinion shouldn't hold so much weight with you that you have to spend hours deconstructing his arguments. You don't have to try and analyze everything, especially not at such length. I think the bigger issue is not your religious or moral doubt, but rather that you spend more time thinking and not enough time doing. If it's really important to you, you could study or read books on theology; at least then you will be better equipped to answer these questions, and have the benefit of being more knowledgable about religion to boot. Hell, just do anything. I don't mean television, or other passive entertainment, either. If you fill your life with activity, you may find that you have neither the time nor the need to worry about these things.

Chrono said:
3- Thoughts about every embarrasing and humilating experience I ever had. An anime character that looks 1% like some one I know and hate? oh the flood gates open then and i'm fucked. Thread after another my brain opens up past memories that I want to go away. They come back and I feel as bad as I used to feel WHEN THEY WERE HAPPENING. I can't move on. They come with a barrage of emotions-- this is the worst part. >__<

And they pop up when the slightest connection is made. reading the word "embarrased" or seeing the smily :eek: or reminds me of something and that of something else and the cycle continues on and on. Lately when I download anime my blood pressure goes a bit up and I feel anxious and confused. It's because I'm afraid of the new "battles" my brain will have to go through while watching them and just feeling more anxious because I'm having those obessive thoughts that I should not.

then I worry, and have more obessive thoughts, and what exactly classifies as obessive thoughts. Maybe others should be in "anxiety-disorder" and some are not described with 100% accuracy on the website so there's a chance theyr'e not part of OCD but does that mean I'm fucked and yet ok? I don't know.
This comment is what most strongly led me to believe that you are dealing with Adult ADD, rather than an anxiety disorder (not that I am dismissing that possibility). Specifically, you say that any random event can cause you to lose focus on what you were doing, and when that event reminds you of something, that thought in turn reminds you of something else. How long does your mind to drift from thought to thought before you regain your concentration?

I used to have the same problem, and while I can't say I never feel the way you describe anymore, there are things you can do on your own to regain control of your mind.

1. Stop thinking about every mistake you make. We all make them, but if you relive the scenario over and over in your mind, you magnify its negativity, which will only lower your self-confidence. Do this often enough, and every little screw-up will only confirm your belief that you are a loser, and this is the image you will project. Recognize your mistakes so you can avoid them in the future, and move on.

2. Don't allow your mind to wander indefinitely. When I first started college, I would sit down at a lecture with every intent to listen, but my mind would go off on a series of tangents no matter how much I tried to concentrate on what the professor was saying. When I regained my focus, I would find the hands on the clock had moved as much as 30 minutes, in what seemed to be the blink of an eye. This was disatrous for my grades, and if it happened at school, you can bet I spent hours more out of class wasting time thinking about nothing in particular. Letting yourself dwell on negative scenarios, both real and imagined, is also an effective way to feed any problems you may have with depression.

This, I feel, is what is causing a lot of the other problems in your life. Most of the other issues you mentioned could be callously described as "thinking too much", but if you can't control your thoughts, then this won't tell you how to make things better. Conversely, if you can control them, then your other problems may solve themselves.

First, there are medications available that seem to have good success in allowing people with Adult ADD to stay focused. Note that adults are not prescribed the same thing as children diagnosed with ADD. Medication is probably the simplest and most effective way to resolve this problem, but obviously you will need to be examined by a professional first.

Additionally, neurofeedback therapy appears to be an effective way to condition your mind to be more focused. Electrical sensors are attached to the patient's head to monitor brainwaves, which are used to play a simple video game. After a few months of treatment (paired with traditional therapy) you should naturally feel more in control of your thoughts. However, this is expensive, and it's not something you can take home and use on your own.

Finally, if you are opposed to both medication and therapy, there are strategies you can use to catch yourself when your attention wanders. If you catch your mind drifting, tell yourself to stop, take a deep breath, and try to go back to the task at hand. You can also think of a special word, if that is more effective for you, and say it to snap yourself out of your daydreams. You may have to do this repeatedly, maybe even several times a minute. But if you make a habit of it, eventually you shouldn't need to say it as frequently, and the time you waste letting your mind wander should diminish.

3. Get out more. If you have the time to relive memories in your past over and over, then you aren't spending enough time making new ones. If the times you interact with people are few and far between, then you will end up repeating them in your mind in the interim. This can cause you to place an unhealthy amount of importance on those events. You'll dwell on the bad and long for the good, when what you should be doing is getting on with your life and trying to be happy. And when I say "interact with people", I don't mean on this forum, or on IRC, or in an online game. Go somewhere, and do something with somebody. It will give your mind stimulation that you can't get from a computer.

4. Stay busy. I touched on this near the start of my post, but I want to explain myself in a bit more detail. I'm not trying to pick on you, but judging by your threads you seem to watch a lot of anime. There's nothing wrong with that, but what it suggests to me is that you may spend a lot of your time doing passive activities for entertainment. Try and do things that engage your mind, instead of doing things that force it to keep itself busy. Playing video games is okay, but are there other things that you think are both interesting and challenging? Learning how to play an instrument? A foreign language? Sports? If you are determined, not only will you keep your mind on more positive things, but it can teach you how to focus, and will give you new skills that you can use to improve your life. Learning something new has the added bonus of boosting your self-confidence, rather than destroying it, which is what you are doing now.

Chrono said:
4- other things include harming others. especially kids. I feel uneasy when I pass kids on the street and if there's a car some where it freaks me out. I remember when I was a kid my bike got carried away into the street and my dad made a huge mess and started a fight over it but I'm not sure if that's why.
I don't quite understand this one. You have thoughts about hurting people? As long as you don't intend to follow these thoughts up with actions, then I would say there is nothing wrong. Everyone has violent fantasies. I also don't understand what you mean when you say seeing kids and cars freak you out. How does it freak you out?

Chrono said:
5- everything must be balanced or else it's not "right." Of course there's no logic for this balance. if Anbu does not sub licensed anime but they work with Aone and they do its' just not right. I can't accept this new information. Not because I don't like it but because I thought Aone doesn't sub licensed anime too and now I feel like I have to reboot my brain but I can't. I can't go back and continue playing Remake on my gamecube because even though I got used to the C-controls there's a new RE with a better camera system. I don't know what's going on here. :(
Just relax. I tended to be obsessive like this, but now I restrict my need to have things be "just so" to how I keep my belongings organized. I used to be ridiculously concerned with this when I was a child. The way I organized my SNES collection is a good example. You know the protective plastic cover that comes with the cartridge? On the bottom there is a one or 2-digit number etched into the plastic. Not only would I insist on keeping my cartridges arranged in the order I bought them, but I used those numbers to make sure each game wore only the sleeve that it was originally boxed with. This need to control the minutia of my life was definitely unnecessary, but it made up for my lack of control over larger aspects. Does this sound familiar to you? Either way, my advice to you is just to ask yourself,"who cares?" There will always be things that change, and things that are beyond your control. If there isn't a logical reason this should affect you, don't let it become an issue.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Typos. Still a bit obsessive.

ChrisReid

Fifty said:

Yeah.. OCD has like half a dozen areas.. They're things like Cleaning (sanitizing), Cleaning (organizing), Hoarding, and so on. I had three or four of the areas quite badly when I was younger, but they've slowly gotten better as your mind can begin to convince itself that the stuff you're doing is irrational. Doesn't sound like you have OCD.. more of an anxiety disorder.

Chrono

Banned
Wow. Thanks for all the replies. :)

BugCatcher:

First, can I ask how you come across these images that you can't get out of your head? Most people, if they've been on the internet long enough, have mistakenly clicked on a goatse or tubgirl link, but the way you've written this implies that this is a frequently occuring problem

Stuff on the net is just one example. Most of them just come from my imagination. >__<

. I think the bigger issue is not your religious or moral doubt, but rather that you spend more time thinking and not enough time doing.

yep, you're right. That's what I tell my self when trying to "end" it. I decide to either learn more or just forget about it.

I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but have you considered the possibility that you may suffer from Adult ADD?

I might, as that test said. However, I'm waiting a month or two and then if I'm not better I'll go to a doctor. You see I've only recently read about OCD and anxiety disorder. Before that I never had a good idea on what goes on in my brain. Now that I do know, it's much easier controlling it. Whatever I'm worrying or obsessing about lost some "legitimacy" you can say.

Also, when I put my mind into it I can do whatever I want like study or sit down and play a game so I'll try and use more and more of my time until I completely eradicate this problem. If it doesn't work then I'll go to a doctor. I don't have time right now and going to a doctor will only help procrastination (since I'm "sick" then not focusing on programming is "ok" ) and just wasting more time. It's a bit scary actually thinking that I might need therapy or medication-- it kinda feels I can't change my life if I wanted to with my own will.

Specifically, you say that any random event can cause you to lose focus on what you were doing, and when that event reminds you of something, that thought in turn reminds you of something else. How long does your mind to drift from thought to thought before you regain your concentration?

When I first went to college I would lose focus a lot but I like to think its' because I didn't choose to pay attention. I'm taking a summer class right now (java programming) and I'm paying attention during the class and understanding everything. Those "events" and images/thoughts that pop up open their own "channel" right along the professors' for example. I can choose to focus on one and ignore the other and lately I'm gaining more and more control over this. Actually the more I worry about something (lecture, meeting) the more I'm focused on it when it happens.

This, I feel, is what is causing a lot of the other problems in your life. Most of the other issues you mentioned could be callously described as "thinking too much",

Right now, every time I think about something too much, I try to tel myself that (and remind myself of this thread ;) ) and that's pretty much making up 30% of any obsessions
now so it's getting better.

I don't quite understand this one. You have thoughts about hurting people? As long as you don't intend to follow these thoughts up with actions, then I would say there is nothing wrong. Everyone has violent fantasies. I also don't understand what you mean when you say seeing kids and cars freak you out. How does it freak you out?

"Freaking out" was maybe the wrong choice of words. I just feel uncomfortable around anyone who looks like between middle school and high school and I think it mainly is because of my memories of those times in my own life. When I was between 13 and 15 EVERY THING came crashing down on my life.

On the family side dad fell to depression, then recovered, then fell again and almost murdered 4 people that stole his company and conspired to do SEVERAL things to bring him down. One of them is his brother, whom dad bought out of their first company like 20 years ago, and it really broke his heart. he actually gave the company to his partner after breaking up even though the partner, and FREAKING BROTHER IN LAW, stole about 200 thousand dollars from it. After that he found out it was orchestrated and that pushed him over the edge especially since he build the company just for me so he wouldn't have to worry about my life. I also was "betrayed" by someone I know since I was 6 and was like a brother figure to me. I can't go into details with this one. My other friends from high school all went their own ways after I either fought with them or just isolated them. I spent about 4 good years DOING NOTHING. Just going to school, doing homework, then re-watching movies over and over and over and day dreaming/eating.. I never learned something new. I didn't brush everything aside and create a new start. I just dwelled in the same spot until college came and sort of "pushed" me into life again.

Belfast:

LOL I stopped watching Crime and Punishment because of that.

If this only started several months ago for you then there must be something that set it off. I remember reading that in some cases depression does that.

Sergenth:

To make a computer analogy of it, you need to clean all of the icons off of your Desktop, put them in some random folder deep in a sub-directory of your least-used HD partition. Then, go back to the folders where you keep your old files from the 486 days... look through them a bit, and find the ones that make you think, "Shit! I was on to something neat here!". Continue work from there. Fill up your Desktop with MP3s from new web sites.

That's pretty much my plan. I'll go to a doctor if I don't see any improvement 2-3 months from now.

UFC PRIDE

First off - don't listen to these amateurish responses about this being 'just anxiety'. You have classic OCD. Their advice is NOT going to help you - you can't 'reason' away a disease. 'Just stop thinking' is not an option - you know it - I know it. Your mind goes through a thought loop of horrid thoughts. Mine was a phrase that kept bothering me. You keep asking yourself 'why would I think this? I'm not evil, or maybe I am? OMG ...' And it keeps repeating. This is pure obsessional OCD, as its referred to. You don't have 'physical' compulsions, its mostly repeating thoughts or images - like you have a song stuck in your head that won't go away ecept instead of a song its some horrid phrase or image.

Why? I know I have it - and its the worst feeling ever until I beat it. Anxiety disorder and OCD are one in the same. Think of your most intense anxiety - and have it happen practically every second or minute of every day. For me it was every second. I couldn't take it anymore so I went to the doctor - told them I had some anxiety. They gave me Zoloft - which I'm still on - and it helped me IMMENSELY. You may need anywhere from 100 mg to 200 mg (I'm on 100, and it works fine). It's a lot easier to ignore the thoughts with medication - you should go to a doctor ASAP.

And lastly, some tips - first go either get help from a counsler or something - or buy a book on how to beat OCD. I have about three of them and the strategies work very well. It's been a good alternative to counsling because I'm not really great at talking about it.

Also ignore all these people's advice on 'what to do', they don't have it or know what its like. One thing to remember is DON'T TRY TO IGNORE THE THOUGHTS. It may be hard to think this way - but trying to 'ignore' the thoughts only makes them worse. Try asking someone to think of anything else except pink bears. What are you going to think about? Pink bears. Repeating a 'neutral' word over and over again in your head is what a lot of people do - DON'T DO THAT. That is a compulsion.

The whole trick is to become conditioned to the fact that the thoughts are indeed normal, and let them be there without the anxiety. The fact is that EVERYONE in the world, no matter if they want to admit it or not, has some pretty horrid or weird thoughts - like 'Hey that person would be easy to kill' or something along those lines, but they just brush it off as an irrational thought - it doesn't bug them. That's the thing with OCD - you lose the ability to 'ignore' these thoughts and you have to relearn that ability.

Listen if you wanna talk or whatever, just PM me - I've been in the same position as you - and I really, really thought there was no way away from it - but there is. Also please, and I can't repeat this enough, DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE WITH NO EXPERIENCE OF THIS. I know they have all the greatest intentions, but their advice ca nbe very harmful, since if you know about OCD - things like 'just relaxing, and ignoring' do NOT work, and really make the problem much worse. I could give you a lot of tips on things to help you if your interest - PM me and I'll be happy to help.

Chrono

Banned
UFC PRIDE said:
Why? I know I have it - and its the worst feeling ever until I beat it. Anxiety disorder and OCD are one in the same. Think of your most intense anxiety - and have it happen practically every second or minute of every day. For me it was every second. I couldn't take it anymore so I went to the doctor - told them I had some anxiety. They gave me Zoloft - which I'm still on - and it helped me IMMENSELY. You may need anywhere from 100 mg to 200 mg (I'm on 100, and it works fine). It's a lot easier to ignore the thoughts with medication - you should go to a doctor ASAP.

It's good to know anxiety disorder and OCD are the same or related. Makes it simpler to fight it. So how long have you been on Zoloft? And is there a 'plan' on how long you should take it until you stop?

And lastly, some tips - first go either get help from a counsler or something - or buy a book on how to beat OCD. I have about three of them and the strategies work very well. It's been a good alternative to counsling because I'm not really great at talking about it.

Books do sound better to me then talking to a therapist. Could you tell me the titles of any? it would make browsing Amazon easier. This one interests me since it has a good average out of a big number of reviewers:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_3/102-2728150-5853703?v=glance&s=books

It mostly covers social anxiety though. I only get one book when I search for "obsessive compulsive disorder" -__-

The whole trick is to become conditioned to the fact that the thoughts are indeed normal, and let them be there without the anxiety. The fact is that EVERYONE in the world, no matter if they want to admit it or not, has some pretty horrid or weird thoughts - like 'Hey that person would be easy to kill' or something along those lines, but they just brush it off as an irrational thought - it doesn't bug them. That's the thing with OCD - you lose the ability to 'ignore' these thoughts and you have to relearn that ability.

right now do you still have obessive thoughts? are they gone completely or are they just faint noises in the background?

Listen if you wanna talk or whatever, just PM me - I've been in the same position as you - and I really, really thought there was no way away from it - but there is. Also please, and I can't repeat this enough, DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE WITH NO EXPERIENCE OF THIS. I know they have all the greatest intentions, but their advice ca nbe very harmful, since if you know about OCD - things like 'just relaxing, and ignoring' do NOT work, and really make the problem much worse. I could give you a lot of tips on things to help you if your interest - PM me and I'll be happy to help.

Thanks. I really appreciate your help. It's a bit overwhelming with all this new information. I feel like I don't know where to start but here's my plan so far:

1) read a book about OCD and anxiety and apply it to my life.

2) try to "make peace" with obessive thought and anxieties every time they come up. Not trying to ignore them but spending a few seconds/minutes to tell myself that theyr'e irrational and just let them be until they slowly wane. Also, like BugCatcher said if I think too much about something I'll try to channel that obession into actual learning of the subject.

This works when an anime/movie effects me to much. It takes a good week for awesome anime to move out of the "main" spot in my brain. I get some "peace" from reading several threads, summaries and "interpetations" of the ending, on several messsage boards.

3) Always try and do something. If I'm just aimlessly browsing the web and listening to music, I'll push myself to study. If i'm done studying I'll play a game. I waste too much time thinking too much about it and being "afraid" of it ruining a good game or movie. I also feel better when I work out so that has to be in my schedule some time soon.

UFC PRIDE

Chrono said:
It's good to know anxiety disorder and OCD are the same or related. Makes it simpler to fight it. So how long have you been on Zoloft? And is there a 'plan' on how long you should take it until you stop?

I've been on it since last August I believe - but they kept me on 50mg for a while and it didn't do anything - I started getting a lot better near December - right when they upped it. If your on it make sure you tell them its OCD symptoms - you'll need 100 mg or more - they'll start you out low. I could probably stop - but I've went a couple days without it before - but I don't like the withdrawal symptoms - mostly nausea and dizzyness.

Books do sound better to me then talking to a therapist. Could you tell me the titles of any? it would make browsing Amazon easier. This one interests me since it has a good average out of a big number of reviewers:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_3/102-2728150-5853703?v=glance&s=books

It mostly covers social anxiety though. I only get one book when I search for "obsessive compulsive disorder" -__-

There's a whole lot more on there. Goto Health, Mind, and Body in books - then mental health, then compulsive behavior or anxiety disorders. Try to find more up to date ones. I can't find the main book I have on there - but I could look at the title if you really wanted - it may be out of stock though.

right now do you still have obessive thoughts? are they gone completely or are they just faint noises in the background?

I guess you could say it 'never' really goes away - but thats a misnomer. When I started looking for info, I kept hearing 'no cure', 'it never goes away most of the time', etc - but thats really not the issue. Like I'll sit here and say 'hey im not thinking it', then you realize what the phrase or thought was that you had and - bam! its back. Like I can think of the phrase that was bothering me right now - but I'm not paralyzed from anxiety anymore - it just doesn't bother me. It's just like 'who cares?' You really can't 'get rid' of the thought - but the anxiety is gone - you can't unremember what was bothering you - but once you get medicine and acclamated to it - it doesn't bother you a bit. Essentially your 'cured' in the way that like before, these weird thoughts no longer bother you - even though you can still 'remember' what it is. I mean once you get better, you will understand.

I g2g. I'll expalin mroe latr.

Thanks. I really appreciate your help. It's a bit overwhelming with all this new information. I feel like I don't know where to start but here's my plan so far:

1) read a book about OCD and anxiety and apply it to my life.

2) try to "make peace" with obessive thought and anxieties every time they come up. Not trying to ignore them but spending a few seconds/minutes to tell myself that theyr'e irrational and just let them be until they slowly wane. Also, like BugCatcher said if I think too much about something I'll try to channel that obession into actual learning of the subject.

This works when an anime/movie effects me to much. It takes a good week for awesome anime to move out of the "main" spot in my brain. I get some "peace" from reading several threads, summaries and "interpetations" of the ending, on several messsage boards.

3) Always try and do something. If I'm just aimlessly browsing the web and listening to music, I'll push myself to study. If i'm done studying I'll play a game. I waste too much time thinking too much about it and being "afraid" of it ruining a good game or movie. I also feel better when I work out so that has to be in my schedule some time soon.[/QUOTE]

MonkeyBoy

i can make some suggestions, first you might benefit by not subjecting yourself to tv and other types of media. it is what keeps those images in your head, next find something to invest more of your time in. a really involved hobby. another thing, i did not read the thread on religion and girls, but it would be beneficial(if your serious about it) to study the bible, not just read, but to research it and invest more time in it.

maharg

idspispopd
"Also ignore all these people's advice on 'what to do', they don't have it or know what its like. One thing to remember is DON'T TRY TO IGNORE THE THOUGHTS."

Um, excuse me, but hardly anyone advised ignoring it and pretty much everyone advised against self-diagnosis and to go see a doctor and a psychiatrist.

Next time you have some advice to give, try to do so without putting everyone around you down. Your post came off as unreasonably rude. Plenty of other people have presented differing alternatives based on their experience or opinion, and they did so without insulting others, and nearly everyone left it at the fact that he should seek professional help.

fart

Savant
it should be reiterated that if you believe this is affecting your life negatively, and you want help dealing with it, there is help available! (that is, as long as you can afford health insurance, but we won't go there...) go see your GP, tell them what you're telling everyone here, and that you'd like to see a psychiatrist. if you think it's very urgent, and you're at a breaking point, tell them that it's a crisis situation. your gp should be able to refer you to psychiatry quickly and you'll be able to meet with someone from psychiatry at the latest by the next day.

no one at gaf will be able to tell you how to best treat your condition, so if that's what you're looking for, seek professional help; don't put it off. if you're just looking at sympathetic experiences to relate to then, well, i'm sure we have plenty of those.

maharg

idspispopd
Exactly. If this has been happening for a long time, then 1 or 2 months is probably not going to make a significant difference as far as your need to know *from a professional* what exactly is wrong with you.

As fart said, if you're without medical insurance that's another matter, but if you've got it, use it. That's what it's there for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom