• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada: land of the Bear Cavalry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
kammy said:
but you're still a soldier and if you die you die, but you get paid to do it.

What the hell man. What the hell.

People become soldiers for a variety of reasons. But a pretty important one is because they think they're doing the right thing.

They believed that by following the chain of command, would lead them towards a more efficient execution of a righteous goal.

When the righteous goal turns out to be not so righteous, and the execution is far from efficient...

You know... the unwritten contract of the employer has fallen through!

These people put their faith into a just and fair democratic government... so much faith that they can sign themselves into what has turned into, in recent times, a nasty, and literally life destroying contract!

What person signs up with the intention of throwing their life away for an unjust cause?

Where's the accountability of the employers?

A normal contract would definetly have a good level of accountability for employers, just as it would have a decent termination clause for either party.

If I signed up with the intention of doing good... of bringing to justice the people that have attacked my homeland, and instead and thrust into a war which does not get any better, and has long since lost credibility; which has long since been understood to be an unjust war...

Then you would criticize me for been a human and thinking with the appropriate cognitive capacity of a human being? Instead of been a robotic cog in a near facist environment?

Seriously. Is that what you guys want?

To criticise both people that are able to think for themselves, and soldiers that don't think for themselves; guys that would put their grandmothers into the gaschamber if ordered to?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
bjork said:
Why wouldn't you just go to Mexico? No one looks for anyone down there.
I don't think I could do it. I see Canada as an alternate America. Essentially, the next best thing thats not too far away.

Plus I failed Spanish class. :(

zedge

To quote a song lyric..

"why do they always send the poor"

Most soldiers are poor destitute citizens looking for a way to make some money and get an education. Not fight in bullshit wars on phantom terrorists.

No wonder they are going awol.

Its not like middleclass or rich kids are lining up to fight for Uncle Sam.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
vas_a_morir said:
Don't let it get to you. Americans are, if anything, two things: Laborers, and Arrogant pricks. They work a lot, and they gloat a lot. Hard for me to say this, but it's a country full of bullies. Of course, America is such a diverse place, you never have to leave and can still live a full life, and people who live here love it. I'm sure Canadians feel the same way about Canada.

I will say this: Calgary is one of the best-looking cities I've ever seen. (I follow hockey until the Jackets piss me off so unbearably I can't take it.)

Psst...Calgary sucks.

terrene

Banned
Nicodimas said:
If you go AWOL.
You deserve to Die.

Hang em..shoot em..chop off their head oathbreaker style.

This is a sworn in position. They are Soldiers.
Easily the most pathetic post I've ever seen on GAF.

Stop-Loss programs, 5-tour stints with next to no pay that leave their families at home struggling, a war with no end in sight? Yeah, that's what they "swore" to.

Never let it be said that it's the right-wingers who are in the troops' corner. They are not meat to be put in a grinder.

Souther

Banned
Beavertown said:
:lol @ all the sensitive Canadians.

pussies

Why spoiler tag your tough guy word?

also..

bear cavalry would be pretty awesome...Seeing canadian soldiers riding Grizzly bears and Polar bears equipped with head mounted lasers would kickass

djkimothy

Souther said:
bear cavalry would be pretty awesome...Seeing canadian soldiers riding Grizzly bears and Polar bears equipped with head mounted lasers would kickass

Yes, anyone willing to tame a grizzly/polar bear deserves respect. :D

EGM92

djkimothy said:
Yes, anyone willing to tame a grizzly/polar bear deserves respect. :D

Our frontlines would be Moose, ravenous moose with a thirst for blood! Then depending on the season we'd ride in on a Grizzly in the spring, a black bear in the summer/fall and a polar bear in the winter. Americans wouldn't know what hit them!

Nicodimas

Banned
terrene

You believe that soldiers have the right to go AWOL then?

How was this statement pathetic. these people are sworn to protect. I do not want someone going AWOL at this little war. This war is pale in comparison to Total War. So esentially your saying its a soldiers right if something becomes hard that they can become a deserter.

Thats a soldiers duty to make WAR. Make no mistake War is not pleasant and not to be romantized. This is however a good reminder on why we do not want a action to switch into a total war mode.

Nicodimas

Banned
I think switches are pushed or flicked(there could be more than one)..that launch those nuclear devices ya'know? ..I would argue thats the endgame for total war...

LakeEarth

That's a much better thread name.

I'm mostly against going AWOL, but if you've been in Iraq, say two years straight, promised that you're done your duty. They even have a party in your honor. You get home, and there's someone there saying you have to go back. That's just going too far.

LakeEarth said:
That's a much better thread name.

Except... it doesn't make any sense unless you scroll way down and see those bear pictures posted by some radom poster.

And then someone can scream 'misleading title, this thread is not about the bear calvary, you suck'.

terrene

Banned
Nicodimas said:
How was this statement pathetic.
If you don't see how suggesting that soldiers who resist being put into a perpetual "state of war" ought to be decapitated "oathbreaker style" could be construed as pathetic, you are truly a piece of shit. Particularly since you're writing from the comfort of your home on a ****ing videogame messageboard.

Just for some anecdotal fun, how about you read this thread I found in a cursory Google search about why people enlist:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2538631&page=2

Not on the list: "I want to hand my life over to the government for tours of duty that last for unprecedented lengths of time while a) not being paid, b) being seperated by my family, c) in an unpopular war with no chance of success and no end in sight."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom