• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

schlew

Never wanted to do this, but it would be a huge help financially. If anyone thinks, "Hey, I'm gonna offer up my Metal Gear Rising $20 off code!" keep me in mind. I don't think I have anything to offer, unless you would like a code for any of those Club Nintendo download game rewards. I got coins to spare I suppose.

zroid

Banned
Not sure if this is considered a deal but I pre-ordered Sly-4 (thieves in time) ps3 from best buy today 39.99 (comes with a free vita version) and when I went to pay there was a promotional 5 dollars off so after taxes it came to 36.99 with free shipping.

Anyone know why its not a full price 59.99 dollar game? Its not some mini game collection I hope lol

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...meplay-video-treasure-design-contest-winners/

Sony recently announced it'd be $40

Sweeeeet. Gotta find the list and jump on this!

They updated the list today, removing a lot of the cheap games...

Never wanted to do this, but it would be a huge help financially. If anyone thinks, "Hey, I'm gonna offer up my Metal Gear Rising $20 off code!" keep me in mind. I don't think I have anything to offer, unless you would like a code for any of those Club Nintendo download game rewards. I got coins to spare I suppose.

Normally I would send you my code right away. However, they upgraded our Rising pre-order to LE for the same price and I am pretty sure that they will cancel it. I think that if it happens, I will lose the 20$ off I had on it and I will end up empty ended... They might not cancel it until after the current coupons, though. In that case I would be screwed no matter what I do beside if I use the current code to pre-order it again and then cancel it if they honor my initial order. Damn I don't know what to do haha!

Tagg9

Not sure if this is considered a deal but I pre-ordered Sly-4 (thieves in time) ps3 from best buy today 39.99 (comes with a free vita version) and when I went to pay there was a promotional 5 dollars off so after taxes it came to 36.99 with free shipping.

Anyone know why its not a full price 59.99 dollar game? Its not some mini game collection I hope lol

Defininetly not a mini-game collection - just a fullblown Sly sequel for a deal. Sony set the MSRP lower to be more attractive, similar to what SEGA's done with a few of their titles recently (All Stars Racing, Anarchy Reigns).

Just an fyi for anyone looking to sign a contract with Bell, probably best to wait until after Feb 4. Can't say why and dates might change, but yeah, heed my advice if this applies to you.

PM'd the code. Already used one of my E3 codes on it.

3N16MA

Banned
Spare GTA, Gears of War and God of War codes. Don't give a crap about these games. Please quote my post if you want the, will send when I'm home tonight.

Spare Tomb Raider as well I think, they sent me two by accident and sadly the coupons don't stack. The second one should still be valid though.

Could use the GTA code if you still have it. God of War and GTA are the ones I never got. -Pyromaniac- was nice enough to give me his God of War code.

Thanks.

I suppose this doesn't help people who are already chained by Ma Bell? lol
wordddd what if we're already with bell, no benefit :( Not sure why I'm complaining my plan is unbeatable but if there's a new data add on coming or something...do want.

But then again you wouldn't have to wait for that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
wordddd what if we're already with bell, no benefit :( Not sure why I'm complaining my plan is unbeatable but if there's a new data add on coming or something...do want.

But then again you wouldn't have to wait for that.
Haha, yeah.

I probably shouldn't have bought an iPhone 5 at launch, because in hindsight, that is actually the WORST time to sign up for a new contract since they know they are guaranteed sales.

Well, I guess I've learned my lesson in preparation for 2015. lol

Signing a contract for the firs time in my life made me realize that Americans actually have better options than we do. But hey, at least the CRTC is here to protect us from 2 year contracts and nationwide calling plans.
paying for caller ID...canada. But yeah we get treated way worse than we get treated well. Honestly if I wasn't hooked up with my corp plan I don't know what I'd do lol. I'm a tech sucker and the yearly upgrades it offers are a must for me. Also the unlimited incoming. Which should be standard!

paying for caller ID...canada. But yeah we get treated way worse than we get treated well. Honestly if I wasn't hooked up with my corp plan I don't know what I'd do lol. I'm a tech sucker and the yearly upgrades it offers are a must for me. Also the unlimited incoming. Which should be standard!

What corp line are you on? I can name four off the top of my head that have what you have (although I'm not even supposed to discuss it). Also my guess is your line probably has an... "expanded" amount of data, n'est pas?

People don't realise that the Canadian telecom sector has two things the American one doesn't, an insanely good network and a much smaller client base. The telus and bells network are world class, whereas a lot of the guys down in the states offer unlimited data with wind mobile speeds and the yanks think it is bleeding edge. Shit, some carriers in the states offer lte phones with a cdma network. Also Bell's benefits program is prety dope. They do right by their employees when it comes to that stuff, still not. Perfect company by any means, but none of the telecoms in Canada charge as much as they do for fun. They maintain a higher service standard for their customers and their employees.

Moving on, my comment will not help a single soul who is already on contract. And for those of you buying iPhone 5s at launch, well, you can't be saved in general.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, yeah.

I probably shouldn't have bought an iPhone 5 at launch, because in hindsight, that is actually the WORST time to sign up for a new contract since they know they are guaranteed sales.

Well, I guess I've learned my lesson in preparation for 2015. lol
Goddamn it. Of all the phones you could've gotten you got the iPhone 5?! At launch?!

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I can't really complain with Koodo. 150 minutes, unlimited text/mms, unlimited evening and weekends, voicemail, caller ID and 200mb data (2¢ per MB over) for $30 a month. Even if I go 500mb over it's $40 total for the month.

MarkusRJR

I can't really complain with Koodo. 150 minutes, unlimited text/mms, unlimited evening and weekends, voicemail, caller ID and 200mb data (2¢ per MB over) for $30 a month. Even if I go 500mb over it's $40 total for the month.
Yup Koodo is pretty awesome if you aren't a data hog. Their customer service is fantastic too.

I did the trade 2 for 60$ gift card at Futureshop but I wanted Fire Emblem at BestBuy for the 5$ off on pre-order. I entered my Futureshop gift card number on the Best Buy order and it worked! I did not know that their gift cards were interchangeable! I know that they are owned by the same company but did not expect it to work.

I did the trade 2 for 60$ gift card at Futureshop but I wanted Fire Emblem at BestBuy for the 5$ off on pre-order. I entered my Futureshop gift card number on the Best Buy order and it worked! I did not know that their gift cards were interchangeable! I know that they are owned by the same company but did not expect it to work.

Potential Megaton?

I did not know this.

I have a Best Buy gift card that I wouldn't mind using on the FS website.

wingz

BB gift cards work on FS.ca and vice versa. From what I know, it can also work in store, but they won't allow it.

Yup Koodo is pretty awesome if you aren't a data hog. Their customer service is fantastic too.

Koodos customer service actually is rated number one in Canada. It's interesting looking at the internal data and how it relates to performance in all aspects of the telecom business. Bell actually does have the biggest and fastest LTE network, although Telus is very close behind on both speed and size. Rogers operates on a single pipeline for voice and data, hence why their service is both slower and has less quality. That's why their advertising says "the reliable network" lol.

Personally, I admire the marketers at Rogers. they straddle the borderline between being complete geniuses and outright liars. WE HAVE UNLIMITED PLANS FOR $27*

*with 150 minutes

Also I love the Rogers ads with "we were the first with LTE network" garbage. It's like saying I was the first man to run the 100m in 14 seconds and the having Donovan Bailey and usain bolt pull up right behind you in world record times just after you finish the race.

Bell is actually second in customer service satisfaction

Potential Megaton?

I did not know this.

I have a Best Buy gift card that I wouldn't mind using on the FS website.

Someone actually pointed this out a month back and I can confirm that it works. It seemed like bullshit at the time but they are owned by the same entity so it wasn't outside of the realm of possibility.

Mikey Jr.

What corp line are you on? I can name four off the top of my head that have what you have (although I'm not even supposed to discuss it). Also my guess is your line probably has an... "expanded" amount of data, n'est pas?

People don't realise that the Canadian telecom sector has two things the American one doesn't, an insanely good network and a much smaller client base. The telus and bells network are world class, whereas a lot of the guys down in the states offer unlimited data with wind mobile speeds and the yanks think it is bleeding edge. Shit, some carriers in the states offer lte phones with a cdma network. Also Bell's benefits program is prety dope. They do right by their employees when it comes to that stuff, still not. Perfect company by any means, but none of the telecoms in Canada charge as much as they do for fun. They maintain a higher service standard for their customers and their employees.

Moving on, my comment will not help a single soul who is already on contract. And for those of you buying iPhone 5s at launch, well, you can't be saved in general.

I would rather take a drop in speed over our completely abysmal download caps.

The max Rogers offers for caps is 150gb a month at a normal price. (The next plans after that skyrocket in price)

150gb a month.........

That is pathetic. ESPECIALLY in this day and age of downloading games, and streaming HD movies. If I want to download Max Payne 3 for the PC, I have to download 30gb. And you know what? Its only going to worse. Because for every gb you go over, they charge you a nice $2.

So no offense, but fuck Canadian telecoms.

edit: Ohh, and also according to Netflix, Canada is third world when it comes to internet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/09/15/netflix-canada-internet-third-world_n_1887114.html

vulva

Anyone in the know with phones and Canada hear anything about something more firm for when the Oppo Find 5 is coming? Also, more relevant to me, anyone know if it will work on Wind? I'm bad at phones so I'm sorry for my ignorance :s

zroid

Banned
BB gift cards work on FS.ca and vice versa. From what I know, it can also work in store, but they won't allow it.

Sometimes they do allow it. Depends on whom you get.

A lot of the time the clerks simply don't know and if you tell them to try it anyway, when it goes through they'll just be like "oh".

ElNino

Bell is actually second in customer service satisfaction
That is bull shit IMO. I would happily pay more money (which isn't likely since they are typically the most expensive) to never have to deal with Bell again. Their customer service is by the far the worst I've ever dealt with and when I inform them the reasons why I will never do business with them again, their only response is that every company has poor customer service so I shouldn't be upset about that.

It's now at the point (since they phone me a couple of times a day) that I let my six year old son answer the phone when they call. It's quite funny to hear my son tell them how rude they are. LOL

^ fuck bell and rogers. I have had them out of my life for 4 years now. so happy.

Anyone in the know with phones and Canada hear anything about something more firm for when the Oppo Find 5 is coming? Also, more relevant to me, anyone know if it will work on Wind? I'm bad at phones so I'm sorry for my ignorance :s

Wind should announce as soon as it is coming soon. they have had quite a good collection now.

I'm talking about mobile phones brah. Landline internet is a whole different story. I think Shaw has unlimited internet but it costs like $200 a month. I don't even have home internet, I just use my cell lol.

That is bull shit IMO.

You have an opinion, I have facts. This isn't to say that Bell is perfect, because it isn't, nor is any other company, anyone who's seen me post here knows that I don't tow the Bell line for kicks, I just state the facts as I see them presented to me. Putting a spin on a situation doesn't help me get a promotion or get paid more.

The biggest issue nowadays with the telecoms is outsourcing. The vast majority of all calls taken are outside of Canada. I know Bells call centres are stationed primarily in the Philippines while Telus has some in Guatemala and Rogers has a bunch in India last time I checked. If you ever speak to someone in Canada, they are usually pretty nice (although I've heard tell that the francophones are a bit saucy, which is just dandy).

Not to sound too personal, but it sounds like It's collections that is calling you, and I don't think anyone in here would expect them to be nice regardless of company affiliation.

vulva

^ fuck bell and rogers. I have had them out of my life for 4 years now. so happy.

Wind should announce as soon as it is coming soon. they have had quite a good collection now.

I've been with Wind for just over a year and a half now and have been very happy. Just using a Nexus S, but the Find 5 looks too sick to pass up. I know it works on HSPA+ and Wind's talking about strengthening their networks to support that... but I just want to make sure I can use it in general.

ElNino

You have an opinion, I have facts. This isn't to say that Bell is perfect, because it isn't, nor is any other company, anyone who's seen me post here knows that I don't tow the Bell line for kicks, I just state the facts as I see them presented to me. Putting a spin on a situation doesn't help me get a promotion or get paid more.

The biggest issue nowadays with the telecoms is outsourcing. The vast majority of all calls taken are outside of Canada. I know Bells call centres are stationed primarily in the Philippines while Telus has some in Guatemala and Rogers has a bunch in India last time I checked. If you ever speak to someone in Canada, they are usually pretty nice (although I've heard tell that the francophones are a bit saucy, which is just dandy).

Not to sound too personal, but it sounds like It's collections that is calling you, and I don't think anyone in here would expect them to be nice regardless of company affiliation.
I don't doubt that you have facts which indicate that Bell is second in Customer Satisfaction. What I doubt is that their metric for satisfaction is a good one. I've worked with enough stats in my lifetime to know that you can't take them at face value. My personal experience is that Bell routinely has poor customer service and does not acknowledge their mistakes.

Yes, outsourcing is a real issue, but when I call Rogers I often get someone local. It might be because I'm calling the corporate accounts line, but it's still the case more often than not.

As for Collections... lol, no I haven't had a bill from Bell in almost a decade other than my wife's work BlackBerry. The calls we receive are to inquire why we left them and how they can get us back... to which we reply they can't, which just means they will call back in two hours to check again.

What do you mean which corp line, the exact name of it? When I log in it just shows "Ont Gov Indv plan". I'm sure if you work for Bell you can narrow it down then ;)

But yeah it's the one with unlimited incoming/message center/callerID/voicemail/250mins/6pm/yearly upgrade cycle/whatever else. Only thing I did myself was add the 6GB by calling in and asking for it back when I got it. for 58 bucks after taxes I don't even feel it's ever fair for me to complain, but still 3 year contracts suck :p

edit: what's this expanded data you speaketh of?

I don't doubt that you have facts which indicate that Bell is second in Customer Satisfaction. What I doubt is that their metric for satisfaction is a good one. I've worked with enough stats in my lifetime to know that you can't take them at face value. My personal experience is that Bell routinely has poor customer service and does not acknowledge their mistakes.

We all use the same metrics. It's primarily based off the feedback surveys but also takes into account popular consumer sentiment, call back percentages and a bunch of other stats. I don't just regurgitate stats because that is pointless like you said. That being said, these are sufficiently comprehensive that I feel confident saying the vast majority of Bell customers are happy, or at the very least not mad lol.

Yes, outsourcing is a real issue, but when I call Rogers I often get someone local. It might be because I'm calling the corporate accounts line, but it's still the case more often than not.

All corporate accounts and corporate consumer care is done in Canada. No company can afford to outsource that kind of stuff. All of the corporate consumer care managers and support staff are insanely well trained for good reason. Can't afford to make a mistake on something like OPSEU or IBM.

As for Collections... lol, no I haven't had a bill from Bell in almost a decade other than my wife's work BlackBerry. The calls we receive are to inquire why we left them and how they can get us back... to which we reply they can't, which just means they will call back in two hours to check again.

[/quote]

Yeah I thought it was either collections or one of the outbound teams. Outbound sales and winback is a bit of a mixed bag, some local and some not. The outbound loyalty team is usually great although there are some saucy francophones as well haha. My guess is you probably used to spend quite a bit of money at Bell lol.

What do you mean which corp line, the exact name of it? When I log in it just shows "Ont Gov Indv plan". I'm sure if you work for Bell you can narrow it down then ;)

edit: what's this expanded data you speaketh of?

Lol yeah, my original post actually quoted that but then I removed it just in case haha. OPSEU was the first thing o thought of along with three other big fish accounts. I'm pretty sure I know exactly which version of OPSEU you have, so the expanded data I referred to was the 6gb. Some OPSEU can get it as a feature and some aren't supposed to get it, but yeah your plan is pretty good. Especially with preferred long distance rates as well.

pestul

Dang. Is that a citywide plan, or one of their new plans? I pay $30 a month but only get 50min, unlim text/mms, voice/callID and data saver with Koodo.

EDIT: Just checked.. Christ. I've been on this stupid plan for a couple of months now since the new one launched and I can change for free. Duhhh.. switching over now. Thanks dude.

Lol yeah, my original post actually quoted that but then I removed it just in case haha. OPSEU was the first thing o thought of along with three other big fish accounts. I'm pretty sure I know exactly which version of OPSEU you have, so the expanded data I referred to was the 6gb. Some OPSEU can get it as a feature and some aren't supposed to get it, but yeah your plan is pretty good. Especially with preferred long distance rates as well.
I like the fact that at least the data was an add on and not part of the plan because if one day...in the far....far future if anything better than 6gb is offered I can just drop it and get the new thing at least. But you know what does suck about my plan, and once again, I always feel terrible complaining because of how great it is, but the message centre is apparently the OLD one that doesn't include pic/video messaging. Y dey do dat to meeeeeeeee :( It's that close to being the most perfect plan that has existed.

I like the fact that at least the data was an add on and not part of the plan because if one day...in the far....far future if anything better than 6gb is offered I can just drop it and get the new thing at least. But you know what does suck about my plan, and once again, I always feel terrible complaining because of how great it is, but the message centre is apparently the OLD one that doesn't include pic/video messaging. Y dey do dat to meeeeeeeee :( It's that close to being the most perfect plan that has existed.

Haha yeah, I know what you're talking about. The message centre which is your voicemail is the big one, but the unlimited texting is the old one with no pic/vid messaging. A lot of these plans were negotiated well before data even existed, so when they try to adapt to the new stuff it is not as graceful as it could be. There is a feature for 5 bucks which gives unltd pic/vid messaging compatible with OPSEU if you are so inclined.

Haha yeah, I know what you're talking about. The message centre which is your voicemail is the big one, but the unlimited texting is the old one with no pic/vid messaging. A lot of these plans were negotiated well before data even existed, so when they try to adapt to the new stuff it is not as graceful as it could be. There is a feature for 5 bucks which gives unltd pic/vid messaging compatible with OPSEU if you are so inclined.
yeah I called and asked about it but I figure I've survived without it for so long, but it's good to know I can always add it for 5 bucks and still have a great plan.

Maybe one day. Maybe. I have a question though. Lets say someone got a plan for working at a place, but then no longer works there. A contract is a contract right? Can still re-sign and do anything like normal? I was told that was the case, but can't hurt to ask someone else.

Anyone have another Revengeance code? I can trade it for BioShock, Tomb Raider, Gears of War or Grand Theft Auto. Revengeance not showing up for me. : /

pestul

Goddammit! Koodo literally just cancelled the double-up plans yesterday! Crushed. Just found out about it now after months and it was just... fucking.. cancelled. Can't believe it. Guess I'll have to wait until the next one. :S

yeah I called and asked about it but I figure I've survived without it for so long, but it's good to know I can always add it for 5 bucks and still have a great plan.

Maybe one day. Maybe. I have a question though. Lets say someone got a plan for working at a place, but then no longer works there. A contract is a contract right? Can still re-sign and do anything like normal? I was told that was the case, but can't hurt to ask someone else.

Well it depends on the situation. If you're a normal consumer, whatever you sign your contract for is a lot more straightforward. Once you change your plan your actual right to the things that you signed your contract for goes down to about 0.

If you're a corporate individual or EPP customer its a bit different. Say Joe blow is a teacher and works for OPSEU, signs a contract for what you have and then 3 days later gets fired. 9999 times out of 10000 he will keep what he's got and life goes on. What is more interesting is when it comes around time to sign a new contract. Once you're no longer employed there or your corporate contract expires you aren't supposed to be able to keep what you have. Hypothetically however (and I do say hypothetically) if someone in a store simply glossed over those facts or didn't care, one might hypothetically be able to keep what they have. Ymmv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom