• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
oatmeal said:
I just want Zelda OoT in Calgary.

Fucking Nintendo...way to brutally undership the game. And then not ship more more than a week after release.

BOO!

Seconding this, I missed out on the soundtrack cause I couldn't get a copy at all. At least I got mercenaries though.

ussjme

hmmm....i really want castlevania but i think the 29.99 pricepoint will stick after the sale. been waiting for a price drop forever i think i can wait a little longer and pick up enslaved and MoH instead.

darkvir

still waiting for CoE price drop.... GS in the US is down to $29. I think I'll bite the Halo Reach BB deal for $19.

Firestorm

I think I'm going to buy Mario & Sonic & The Olympic Games (Vancouver 2010) just so I can see Mario and Sonic in BC Place.

Takao

Banned
whitehawk said:
Wait what? There is a new Wii model?

Maybe "model" was the wrong word, but that SKU in particular was replaced by a tonne of bundles from both last year, and this year.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Played it at PAX, REALLY enjoyed it, especially if you can play it multiplayer.

It's not NHL 11, think of it as the Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey 98. :p

Not a problem.. for $30 I think I'll bite.

StevieP

Banned
mentalfloss said:

I play it with the sticks. Adds a new dimension to it, it's a heck of a lot of fun.
As mentioned, it's not NHL 11... it's more like Wayne Gretzky Hockey on the N64, but less NBA Jam and more well... normal.

Note: there is no fighting. However, cross-checking with the stick is extremely satisfying. Be sure you get at least 1 extra stick for local multiplayer. That's where the fun lies.

SickBoy

My friends (most of whom are not big-time gamers) and I came to a really strong consensus that the game was better without the sticks. Different strokes, I guess :)

Sad to say, but $30 is a bit pricey for Slapshot these days. I'm sure it's been $20 at quite a few places.

EDIT: Yup. Last day at Future Shop.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=02ea0218c4f2d9ac8a4e30d1d805a3dcen02

...and maybe new regular price at Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=5f0c3a585dcda30e9680889074f19901en02

SickBoy said:
My friends (most of whom are not big-time gamers) and I came to a really strong consensus that the game was better without the sticks. Different strokes, I guess :)
Oh I have no doubt it is, but cross-checking to do a check motion, and getting the hit always feels so good.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Oh I have no doubt it is, but cross-checking to do a check motion, and getting the hit always feels so good.

Play "Superstar" mode. It's much harder to hit people. Goalies still suck though.

SickBoy

Lone_Prodigy said:
Play "Superstar" mode. It's much harder to hit people. Goalies still suck though.

So is the hitting toned down, then (and is this a MP mode)? Friends and I will have to try it. That's one of the complaints about the game from some corners. I like the fact that there's a lot of puck movement, but the hitting can be kind of overdone.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Here are the first four days of Door Crashers for the EB sale from RFD.

July 8th - Socom Greatest Hits (PS3) $4.89
July 9th - Metroid Other M (Wii) $9.89
July 10th - Transformers Revenge of the Fallen (XBOX 360) $4.89
July 11th - Jake Hunter (DS) $4.89

Kazerei

Banned
Metroid: Other M for $9.89, worth it? I loved the Prime series, but passed on Other M because of the bad reviews. Story and characterization aside, how's the gameplay?

No_Style

Other M is worth it for $10. If only for the Club Nintendo points & the ability to say how much it disappoints you.

The gameplay is alright. I really started enjoying AFTER the ending where I was going around searching for weapon upgrades.

Spike

mentalfloss said:

It is going to be $20 at EB from July 8th.

weeklyad_july8a.jpg

weeklyad_july8b.jpg

soultron

Banned
krae_man said:
Tony Hawk Ride for $10? How much lower can they go?
You're going to need the money you save off the regular price to pay for gas to the hospital. Thing's an accident waiting to happen.

No_Style

GameStop's sale is online now.

Vanquish (PS3, 360) is $9.99 ($15 off) @ GameStop - http://bit.ly/qJQFiv
Yakuza 4 is $29.99 ($30 off) @ GameStop - http://ow.ly/5zKJe

I'm debating whether or not Halo: Reach Legendary Edition is worth $50. It's the only Legendary Edition I want, but then I'm reminded of Halo 3's which now sits a laughable $30, 3+ years later.

denomes said:
Called around. Can't find Vanquish anywhere.
Did you try checking online if stores have it in stock?'

Ok well there are three stores on my way home that should have it in stock. So I'll be getting it for my self at least.

denomes

Lostconfused said:
Did you try checking online if stores have it in stock?

Yeah, searched up locations in my area and called each one.

I went to my local GS yesterday just to confirm about the sale and they were already sold out of Vanquish. The guy there said that he didn't expect to receive another print run, so it seems what's out there is it.

Lostconfused: You in Toronto?

Got the following:
Medal of Honor
Test Drive Unlimited 2
Kane and Lynch 2
Yakuza 4

and the following for a few people (who are ghosts and don't post in this thread)
vanquish (only one left on ps3)
enslaved
multiple copies of moh.

Achtius

hmm.. Little Big Planet 2 is $39.99. Maybe I should pick it up. Any know how long it took for LBP to become greatest hit?

ShaneB

So I bought a TE Round 2 stick from a coworker, but found out my xbox headset doesn't want to fit because it still has that old plastic volume control knob as opposed to newer ones.

What's the cheapest way I can make it work? Seeing things on dealextreme, but I'm sure there's gotta be like a cheap adapter I can buy locally for a couple bucks. edit: or a dirt cheap headset in general.

watership

denomes said:
Called around. Can't find Vanquish anywhere.

Did the same. Downtown Toronto store in the PATH had no copies for months. He's been getting calls all day because Gamestops website says it's in stock. I called a few others stores. Same deal.

Gamestop does this on purpose. You show up for one game, find it's not there, and maybe you'll buy another one so the trip isn't wasted.

Median

watership said:
Did the same. Downtown Toronto store in the PATH had no copies for months. He's been getting calls all day because Gamestops website says it's in stock. I called a few others stores. Same deal.

Gamestop does this on purpose. You show up for one game, find it's not there, and maybe you'll buy another one so the trip isn't wasted.

The situation is more likely that they had one or two copies (likely gutted display copies) and the stock indicator on the site won't update until 8am tomorrow. Either that or they've got copies they've lost in the store but they haven't been processed as shrink yet.

frequency

I was hoping to pick up Vanquish online since I'm at work all day. Guess I'll have to hope my local EB still has copies in stock after work.

Anyway, I don't think this was posted yet:
Shadows of the Damned 39.99 at FutureShop.
PS3

Sorry if someone already mentioned it. I'm slow.

Cactus

Banned
frequency said:
I was hoping to pick up Vanquish online since I'm at work all day. Guess I'll have to hope my local EB still has copies in stock after work.

Anyway, I don't think this was posted yet:
Shadows of the Damned 39.99 at FutureShop.
PS3

Sorry if someone already mentioned it. I'm slow.
Very tempting...

Picked up SotD and Alice. Alice is listed on EB's website as having a $35 TIV for the month, so it's pretty much a no-lose situation if it sucks. Plus Catherine's a +50% power trade this month, so it could go towards that... though I'm not sure I could deal with the deep shame of buying a game with that cover from another actual human being...

DJ_Lae

Managed to get the last copy of Vanquish here in Victoria - and it's not because there was any major rush on it today, that's just all they had.

Was very tempted by Yakuza as well, but passed on it for the moment.

The employee at the shop I went to in Montreal was actively trying to get me to buy Vanquish, actually. A hell of a price if I didn't already own it. Picked up Enslaved but PS3 only, no 360 ver for a long, long distance.

Draff

Meanwhile, I just came back from the States where I found Vanquish in every bargain bin I came across at Wal-mart, Target and Gamestop.

I haven't even seen a copy of 999 in Canada yet.

frequency

Draff said:
Meanwhile, I just came back from the States where I found Vanquish in every bargain bin I came across at Wal-mart, Target and Gamestop.

I haven't even seen a copy of 999 in Canada yet.
Yeah... back when I was looking for 999, I had to import an NA copy from Play-Asia.

That was kind of sad.

It's so hard to find any niche titles up here. While on forums everywhere people talk about how these games are sitting in bargain bins down across the border. :-\

I'm still waiting for Best Buy to ship me my copy of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom