• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ondore

Checked my local EB this morning and they had the Transformers games out in the Bomba Bin (aka where the Deal of the Day rack was). Not a single Other M to be found.

Crap, I forgot that my Live subscription is going to run down in a month.

Where's the cheapest place to pick these up right now? Just the usual from amazon.com or is there something better going on right now?

Where's the best place to buy already built gaming pc's (top of the line stuff...something that can run the best in gaming right now) in downtown Toronto? Or where should I go for someone to build one for me? I'm thinking of converting to becoming a PC gamer, but I don't really know much about building a pc.

soultron

Banned
Emperor Bohe said:
Where's the best place to buy already built gaming pc's (top of the line stuff...something that can run the best in gaming right now) in downtown Toronto? Or where should I go for someone to build one for me? I'm thinking of converting to becoming a PC gamer, but I don't really know much about building a pc.
I'd just say learn how to build one yourself. You'll have a greater appreciation for it and know how to tinker with it to get the best performance if and when you overclock.

It will take you several hours to research the beginner's knowledge on how to build a PC, but if you're someone who likes building projects and such, you'll like it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/ among many is a great resource when building a gaming PC.

squidyj

soultron said:
I'd just say learn how to build one yourself. You'll have a greater appreciation for it and know how to tinker with it to get the best performance if and when you overclock.

It will take you several hours to research the beginner's knowledge on how to build a PC, but if you're someone who likes building projects and such, you'll like it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/ among many is a great resource when building a gaming PC.

Honestly this. Knowing how to put a computer together and take one apart has saved me loads of headache in dealing with my PC, and just recently my laptop (lol Dell build quality is for garbage). When I used to work at a tech place I'd see people come in with computers that didn't work when all that was wrong with them was they were covered in a six inch layer of dust or one of the cables was loose. They either spent good money having us do a diagnostic or shipped their computers back to the manufacturer under warranty for a simple fix that could have been done in their own home.

RS4-

Emperor Bohe said:

I could put it together for you, someone else in the Toronto area could do the same.

If not, you could always do it at NCIX or Canada Computers; the hard part is finding the parts you want. For that you can go here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432590

frequency

dream said:
Do I need to have played Yakuza 3 to understand Yakuza 4? I've played the PS2 installments...
Yakuza 4 has recap videos of the previous 4 games. But even so, these are pretty standalone games. There are references to past games and recurring characters that you'll get more out of if you played them but it's not essential to the experience.
Since you've already played the PS2 games, you should know all the important characters and locations already.

survivor said:
That's good for me then. I loved Yakuza 3. Good story, enjoyable characters, and overall entertaining combat system. I had few issues with the side quests, especially some of the kids ones, but they weren't that big of a deal. Also playing with extra characters sounds like a killer feature.
I admit that the side quests and "open world"-ness of Yakuza isn't that appealing to me. I do whatever side quests I stumble upon but I don't go out of my way to find them. I mostly play Yakuza for the story and characters, and so my focus is the main quest line.

Oneself

GG-Duo said:
According to their website, none of the GameStop/EBs in Vancouver have Vanquish :(

EBgames/Gamestops in Drummondville, Montréal & Ottawa didn't have it Friday, as soon as the promo started. Made all 3 cities to get Vanquish & MOH (PS3) and they were all out of stock. Note that there were some Vanquish in Mtl last Wednesday so, employees probably grabbed them all.

=(

Oneself said:
EBgames/Gamestops in Drummondville, Montréal & Ottawa didn't have it Friday, as soon as the promo started. Made all 3 cities to get Vanquish & MOH (PS3) and they were all out of stock. Note that there were some Vanquish in Mtl last Wednesday so, employees probably grabbed them all.

=(

Depends on where you were looking? Walked in and they had plenty on the first day of sales at EB downtown Montreal...the guy was trying to sell me one even. This was on a thursday, I think?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The next few door crashers at EB from RFD.

July 12th: MJ: The Experience (PSP...yep...PSP) - $4.89
July 13th: Samurai Warriors 3 (Wii) - $9.89
July 14th: Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (DS) - $4.89
July 15th: Guitar Hero World Tour (PS3) - $4.89

Wow those suck.

Quick

Banned
Leshita said:
Does EB do price protections?
I purchased Vanquish just shy of a month ago when it was still $24.99. :/

I'm pretty sure they do. I went to one and noticed Heavy Rain's price dropped, and asked them if I could bring my receipt to get the money off and they said that was fine since I bought the game a week prior to the price change. As for how long they allow people to get the price drop, I don't know.

I asked this at the stupid gaming questions thread, and I figured I'd ask it here, as well: does anyone know where I can buy PS3 game cases? Locally in Toronto would be nice, but I don't mind buying online if it ship to Canada.

B-Dex

GG-Duo said:
According to their website, none of the GameStop/EBs in Vancouver have Vanquish :(

I have a few copies at my store. Play N Trade in South Surrey :p

But, you'd have to come out to South Surrey.....

Edit: We price match flyer/web as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ShaneB said:
A common question I'm sure, but cheapest place to get some Microsoft points?
Usually during those Real Canadian Super Store sales. Even Futureshop/Best Buy don't put them on sale anymore.
Of course, MS won't drop the price on them even though our dollar is stronger than the US dollar. Bleh.

Leshita said:
Does EB do price protections?
I purchased Vanquish just shy of a month ago when it was still $24.99. :/
If you get a good manager, they'll treat it as a refund/repurchase if you do it within 30 days.

Ondore

Fuzzy said:

Let's see how long this one lasts. 50 Club Nintendo points for a tenner is probably worth it, though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Emperor Bohe said:

You're better off ordering online off NCIX.com. They'll build it for you for $50, and they have the best prices on parts. Their pre-assembled rigs are not amazing value because they often come with stuff you don't need, but if you customize the parts you'll do great.

You can reply to the "HELP! I NEED A NEW PC" 2011 edition thread with a lot of your parts and general questions and they'll help you out.

Good luck. When you end up buying your PC, feel free to show up in the Steam/GOG threads and you'll find lots of helpful GAF members to give game or tech help suggestions :)

Leshita said:
Hm, conflicting answers, guess I'll just have to go in and try it myself later today. ;)
If you've opened the 24.99 one, best way (and slightly dishonest) would probably be buy the 9.99 one, then return the 9.99 as the 24.99 one as unopened.

Officially, I don't think they do price protect.

Truespeed

MetalFearSolid said:
What??? When was this deal??

FS had a $10 off sale and for whatever reason Uncharted 2, normally $25 dollar game should have been $14, but their website took off another $10 making it $4.99.

God I hate Rogers so much. Took me 45 minutes to cancel my wireless account. They just wouldnt take "no" for an answer. Finally asked for a supervisor and they caved. Gave them my 30 days notice for my contract ending August 11th. Free from these crooks forever. Fuck them up their stupid asses. I just hope I'm alive to see them go bankrupt one day.

Anyone know of the best company/deals for pay as you go? I'm not a heavy user so Rogers retentions really couldn't offer me anything to compete with pay as you go prices.

ShaneB

firehawk12 said:
Usually during those Real Canadian Super Store sales. Even Futureshop/Best Buy don't put them on sale anymore.
Of course, MS won't drop the price on them even though our dollar is stronger than the US dollar. Bleh.

Answer I expected. It sucks yeah, since the price for them flat out adds a bit of inflation, those 1200 point games end up costing 20 bucks, so just looking for some deals before Third Strike hits.

iphys

Shoppers is supposedly doing a 20x event this Saturday. I think there was someone looking to buy a 3DS at one in the old thread.

Tabris

criesofthepast said:
God I hate Rogers so much. Took me 45 minutes to cancel my wireless account. They just wouldnt take "no" for an answer. Finally asked for a supervisor and they caved. Gave them my 30 days notice for my contract ending August 11th. Free from these crooks forever. Fuck them up their stupid asses. I just hope I'm alive to see them go bankrupt one day.

Anyone know of the best company/deals for pay as you go? I'm not a heavy user so Rogers retentions really couldn't offer me anything to compete with pay as you go prices.

Every single large provider (telus, bell, rogers and fido) sucks in Canada and it has nothing to do with the company but what they can do. The consumer has lost a lot of power over the last couple of years. It's all the CRTC's fault as far as I'm concerned. An organization that's supposed to be the government's watch dog FOR THE PEOPLE are instead FOR THE COMPANY.

CRTC is the worst government organization in Canada.

I had the smallest request for Fido in the last couple of months. I asked them whether I can add an additional 500MB on to my plan or change my 500MB to a 1GB plan. They said "they couldn't do this because there was no bundling plan for this with iPhone to have what you have". I was like "So let me understand this, you can't simply just add 500MB to my plan and I pay you the $5-$10 extra it costs?". They said no and my only options were cancel my current plan and set up a new plan where I lose all the benefits I currently have or pay $200+$200 to cancel my contract (because voice and data get treated as separate contracts, thanks CRTC) and sign up with a provider that does offer those plans.

It's a total scam. I had the same experiences with Telus before leaving them. My friend has had the same issues with Bell. It's the same across the board. And it's the CRTC's fault.

StevieP

Banned
The US telcos look to Canadian ones for inspiration, as you can see by the massive influx of bandwidth caps south of the border.

Takao

Banned
Fuzzy said:

Wow those suck.

Those are amazing.

Fuzzy said:

Wow those suck.

I have seen worse from them..

Tabris said:
Every single large provider (telus, bell, rogers and fido) sucks in Canada and it has nothing to do with the company but what they can do. The consumer has lost a lot of power over the last couple of years. It's all the CRTC's fault as far as I'm concerned. An organization that's supposed to be the government's watch dog FOR THE PEOPLE are instead FOR THE COMPANY.
..snip...

And it's the CRTC's fault.
You realize this is the result of the Conservatives changing the CRTC's mandate to comply with market and business "realities" over consumer needs a few years back, don't you? The CRTC is just doing what the government in power has mandated it do...

BadWolf

iphys said:
Shoppers is supposedly doing a 20x event this Saturday. I think there was someone looking to buy a 3DS at one in the old thread.

How does this work? If I get a PS3 I would get it cheaper or something?

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
You realize this is the result of the Conservatives changing the CRTC's mandate to comply with market and business "realities" over consumer needs a few years back, don't you? The CRTC is just doing what the government in power has mandated it do...

I don't doubt this is true, but do you have a link or links to evolution of this debacle?

I need fuel.

This is a PSA for Ontario folks with XBox Live Gold accounts.

I just checked and it looks like Ontarians can finally turn off the "Auto-Renew" option from the Xbox Live Accounts website. There was much discussion about this when we all took advantage of the $1 / month promotions so I thought I'd post it here.

Stoffinator

PalaceBrother said:

I just checked and it looks like Ontarians can finally turn off the "Auto-Renew" option from the Xbox Live Accounts website. There was much discussion about this when we all took advantage of the $1 / month promotions so I thought I'd post it here.

I remember back in the early '90s when Rogers added new channels to everyone giving them the first month free. When it was up, you had to call in and cancel those channels. Needless to say many people did not know and were not happy when they got their bill. The Government went after Rogers and said that they can not just add on service and say people have to notify them. Its the other way around.

I think the same holds true with any renewal service in Canada. MS and Sony I don't believe by law in Ontario charge for a renewal that you have to notify them on. Case being, you going to account management and shutting it off.

Does anybody know this for sure?

BKXB

Economist
PalaceBrother said:

Thank you!

Absolutely painless, and I can remove the calendar reminder I set for March 2013. :)

Conceptor

BadWolf said:
How does this work? If I get a PS3 I would get it cheaper or something?

Cheaper? No. Basically Shoppers has a points card for purchases. These points, one you hit certain intervals/levels, can be redeemed for money off your purchase before taxes. Normally (and this is all pretax), $1 spent = 10 points. During 20X events, whatever number of points you earn are multiplied by 20 (so $1 amounts to 200 points, so to speak). There's usually a requirement of a minimum 50$ purchase though, so buying a big ticket item that you were planning to pick up anyway will get you a ton of points. Points that you can use to get $$ off a future purchase. Redemption events are usually the best time to spend points, if you've been saving up.

BadWolf

Conceptor said:
Cheaper? No. Basically Shoppers has a points card for purchases. These points, one you hit certain intervals/levels, can be redeemed for money off your purchase before taxes. Normally (and this is all pretax), $1 spent = 10 points. During 20X events, whatever number of points you earn are multiplied by 20 (so $1 amounts to 200 points, so to speak). There's usually a minimum 50$ purchase though. So buying a big ticket item that you were planning to pick up anyway will get you a ton of points that you can use to get $$ off a future purchase. Redemption events are usually the best time to spend points, if you've been saving up.

Ah okay, thank you.

Cheerilee

mentalfloss said:
I don't doubt this is true, but do you have a link or links to evolution of this debacle?

I need fuel.
I believe this is it.
http://forum.cabletv.com/canada-cable-industry-news/3548-crtc-takes-new-direction.html

The text of the order is down by the bottom.

Personally, I don't see anything glaringly offensive in that text. I'm pretty sure reps from Teksavvy said that there's nothing inherently wrong with it. It could probably be used to support the opposite of what's going on. The problem is that the CRTC is responsible for "interpreting" the best way to follow these general instructions, and the CRTC is stacked with corrupt former teleco executives (because teleco experience is a requirement to sit on the CRTC), and whenever someone tries to force in an outsider like Von Finkenstein, they're worse than the corrupt former teleco executives.

And the CRTC isn't doing the Conservatives bidding. They defied them (in a bad way) on UBB, and they're defying them (in a good way) on SunTV. Their only master seems to be the telecos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom