• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

tiijj

Just because it's an Atlus game doesn't mean it automatically has to be more expensive. It's kind of bs they are charging the Atlus tax on Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 when the other Etrian Odyssey games came out at the standard price point and did well enough. Now they are just price gouging

I barely want to pay $40 for a handheld game I really really want, no way in hell am I paying $60

True but I was saying is that you shouldn't be surprise that it is more expensive than the normal pricing coz of the "atlus tax".

Sealtest

So has futureshop just made it so you can no longer see your orders? Everytime I try it just keeps telling me the page no longer exists.

zroid

Banned
So did anyone actually manage to track down a New 3DS XL at Shoppers when it was advertised in their flier a couple weeks back? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Last week it was absent from the flier, but it's back in there this week. I might make the rounds again today.

zroid

Banned
So did anyone actually manage to track down a New 3DS XL at Shoppers when it was advertised in their flier a couple weeks back? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Last week it was absent from the flier, but it's back in there this week. I might make the rounds again today.
Oh man I found it! I'll go back to pick it up on Thursday to get the senior discount. woooooooo

Has anyone's Club Nintendo reward(s) shipped yet? I'm still waiting on my pouch and puzzle...

If the Smash Bros CD's are any indication they will probably just show up and Nintendo won't even tell you when they're gonna ship.

I mean, fucking hell dude, they didn't even send me my Mewtwo code yet. My two other friends got theirs and we all use Gmail. Nintendo what are you doing.

And yes I set everything so that I can get emails from them (I can't believe you have to do this on your CONSOLE and not on their website now).

tiijj

I received an email about the club nintendo last monday but I haven't received anything yet.

The smash cd was the complete opposite. I received the CD and I got the order confirmation a day or two after it arrived.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So has futureshop just made it so you can no longer see your orders? Everytime I try it just keeps telling me the page no longer exists.
Huh, I noticed that it's broken as well. They seemed to have changed the page around, so that might have done something.

khaaan

Smash WiiU for $49.99 @ VGP, not a bad deal. It's cheaper than the price at pre-order deals unless you went with Amazon and got the 33% off or whatever it was.

Roto13

So a while ago I was in here talking about getting a phone from Wind and a bunch of you tried to convince me not to because of poor reception.

The first thing I did was make sure it works in my apartment. Brought it home and made a call and everything was fine. I've made a few more calls from home since then with no problems.

I've been out and about around downtown Toronto with no noticeable problems. Made a few calls here and there just to see how it was.

Yesterday was the final exam: Riding the GO bus to Hamilton. I didn't make any calls on the way there, but I did constantly stream music (literally constantly), browse the internet, text, check Google Maps, and play Final Fantasy Record Keeper. Google Play Music probably loads some kind of music buffer so it doesn't drop off the second you lose a connection, but the only time on the whole trip that the phone gave me any trouble at all was when it temporarily lost reception inside of Union Station. It was fine on the walk to Wellesley Station, it was fine on the subway (though I didn't try texting there), it was fine on the bus, all the way through Mississauga, Oakville, and Hamilton, where I stayed overnight, and didn't have a single bounced text or web page loading failure.

I don't see what's supposed to be so bad about this network.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So a while ago I was in here talking about getting a phone from Wind and a bunch of you tried to convince me not to because of poor reception.

The first thing I did was make sure it works in my apartment. Brought it home and made a call and everything was fine. I've made a few more calls from home since then with no problems.

I've been out and about around downtown Toronto with no noticeable problems. Made a few calls here and there just to see how it was.

Yesterday was the final exam: Riding the GO bus to Hamilton. I didn't make any calls on the way there, but I did constantly stream music (literally constantly), browse the internet, text, check Google Maps, and play Final Fantasy Record Keeper. Google Play Music probably loads some kind of music buffer so it doesn't drop off the second you lose a connection, but the only time on the whole trip that the phone gave me any trouble at all was when it temporarily lost reception inside of Union Station. It was fine on the walk to Wellesley Station, it was fine on the subway (though I didn't try texting there), it was fine on the bus, all the way through Mississauga, Oakville, and Hamilton, where I stayed overnight, and didn't have a single bounced text or web page loading failure.

Audio quality can be subpar in a noticeable way. Every time I try to call my dad it cuts in and out and altogether sounds like he's underwater, this in and around Mississauga usually. He just got so frustrated the other week he cut his contract with them and went with a crappier phone on Koodo, and now he can talk to clients clearly.

The best way to describe WIND IMO is that it can be inconsistent in every respect. That's the risk you take for the price.

Sajjaja

They have managed to increase their coverage drastically over the last while, but I notice that when I'm on the first floor of Walmart in Square One I lose reception which is weird, but stuff like that happens once in a while. I've been with Wind for 3 years and their quality has been noticeably increasing.

kinger

I find that opinions on WIND vary a lot for some reason (probably depending on where you frequent), and yeah, it's best to see for yourself. Personally I've never really had any major problems, besides some minor inconveniences, that didn't happen with Rogers at one point or another. Ironically I even get signal in a classroom where some of my friends didn't get reception (they were using Bell/one of the big 3), and this is in a building made out of thick slabs of concrete, where I had inconsistent signal even when I was using Rogers, so. (For both, when I figure out where I do or don't get signal, it's been mostly consistent.)

Audio quality can be subpar in a noticeable way. Every time I try to call my dad it cuts in and out and altogether sounds like he's underwater, this in and around Mississauga usually. He just got so frustrated the other week he cut his contract with them and went with a crappier phone on Koodo, and now he can talk to clients clearly.

The best way to describe WIND IMO is that it can be inconsistent in every respect. That's the risk you take for the price.

Is he using a different phone than when he was with WIND? I tend to think call quality depends on the phone, for a few reason. Mostly because :

1)my sister and I are both on WIND (with different phones), but my call quality's fine, whereas her's will sometimes be a little worse (uncommon, but it happens)

2) My mom was on Bell for ~1-2 years, and it was ok, but my uncle's been using Bell for years, but since he got an HTC you can barely hear him over the phone.

This is just how I see it though.

I watched the Ducks game on my OnePlus One with Wind on the bus ride and walk home tonight, unlimited data and NHL GameCentre Live FTW

I manually flashed to CM's version of Lollipop yesterday, so goood

I mean, it's still a relatively large mobile carrier, so it isn't like anyone meant the coverage is going to be consistently terrible the way a game with a bad frame rate is, especially in a major city. Still, cell phone coverage is something that ranges in importance from something you want to have on all the time for fun, to something you'll potentially NEED in an emergency. So I ain't fucking around with any company that has such a spotty track record. While I use my phone 99% of the time for pretty superfluous stuff, it's that 1% when I'm actually going to be counting on it to work.

UberTag

I'm willing to sacrifice that 1% to pay 50% less on my monthly wireless bill and have unlimited data on top of that.

The only thing keeping me handcuffed to Telus right now is that my contract doesn't lapse for another 8-9 months.

kaiyo

I mean, it's still a relatively large mobile carrier, so it isn't like anyone meant the coverage is going to be consistently terrible the way a game with a bad frame rate is, especially in a major city. Still, cell phone coverage is something that ranges in importance from something you want to have on all the time for fun, to something you'll potentially NEED in an emergency. So I ain't fucking around with any company that has such a spotty track record. While I use my phone 99% of the time for pretty superfluous stuff, it's that 1% when I'm actually going to be counting on it to work.
Emergency as in needing to call 911? You can call 911 even with a phone that has no Sim card. And you can have the phone roam if it's some other emergency.

espher

$440 for the AC XB1 Kinect bundle, w/ a $50 gift card.

I wonder if I can still flip Black Flag and Unity to someone... I need to get one of these for Rock Band 4 eventually, and I'm not sure if there will be a better effective buy than $390 - whatever I get for the discs before Oct/Nov of this year...

$440 for the AC XB1 Kinect bundle, w/ a $50 gift card.

I wonder if I can still flip Black Flag and Unity to someone... I need to get one of these for Rock Band 4 eventually, and I'm not sure if there will be a better effective buy than $390 - whatever I get for the discs before Oct/Nov of this year...

They are download codes, and at this point you're probably looking at $30 tops for both

etta

my hard graphic balls
Quick question about E3 preorders from Best Buy and Amazon: do they charge you for each game when they ship? Or do they charge the entire order when the first game ships, even if the rest are released later?

This upcoming E3 would be my first where I do the 30% off on preorders, and with the prices being 74.99$ and possibly climbing even to 79.99$, I should probably start preordering during the E3 30% off event.

Quick question about E3 preorders from Best Buy and Amazon: do they charge you for each game when they ship? Or do they charge the entire order when the first game ships, even if the rest are released later?

This upcoming E3 would be my first where I do the 30% off on preorders, and with the prices being 74.99$ and possibly climbing even to 79.99$, I should probably start preordering during the E3 30% off event.
One at a time for AMAZON at least.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a sale in the future, no guarantee they do it this year

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is he using a different phone than when he was with WIND? I tend to think call quality depends on the phone, for a few reason. Mostly because :

1)my sister and I are both on WIND (with different phones), but my call quality's fine, whereas her's will sometimes be a little worse (uncommon, but it happens)

2) My mom was on Bell for ~1-2 years, and it was ok, but my uncle's been using Bell for years, but since he got an HTC you can barely hear him over the phone.

This is just how I see it though.
The phone definitely matters, but I have one cousin and two friends with the same phone (Nexus 5) and they don't have the same problems. Some are on WIND, some aren't.

ohlawd

Okay thanks. So assuming 30% off will continue, and if prices will be 74.99$, and I preorder three games, then I get charged 52.49$ + tax as each game ships from that order.

yes, that's right

I preordered just about everything under the sun last year. locking in the price is a good idea, even for games you're not interested in. they might turn out promising, you never know. not doing it now tho. been in a gaming slump and I can't consider $50 and over without taxes a good deal.

Top Bottom