• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

So, Notley is getting death threats because of Bill 6? What's wrong with it? I read it and seems like a good bill.

I'll admit I was pretty surprised to see that Bill 6 is just some farm safety bill after seeing all the drama over it.

In other news, the government is increasing the minimum down-payment on houses over $500,000.

http://business.financialpost.com/p...-blistering-toronto-vancouver-housing-markets

Interestingly, the way it'll work is that if a house costs more than $500,000 then the minimum down-payment is $25,000 + 10% of the amount over $500,000.

Tiktaalik

In other news, the government is increasing the minimum down-payment on houses over $500,000.

http://business.financialpost.com/p...-blistering-toronto-vancouver-housing-markets

Interestingly, the way it'll work is that if a house costs more than $500,000 then the minimum down-payment is $25,000 + 10% of the amount over $500,000.

We've been in a housing bubble for a good long while and it makes sense that any new government is going to do all they can to ensure that when it pops, the damage isn't that bad and they're not the ones that take the blame. You can be sure that the Conservatives would blame the Liberal's "risky economic policies" for it. It's as much a political decision as anything.

At this point the horse is already out of the barn though and this move doesn't really feel like enough to have any real impact on anything.

mo60

So, Notley is getting death threats because of Bill 6? What's wrong with it? I read it and seems like a good bill.

The Alberta Energy Minister has been dealing with threats to because of that Bill.I think that Bill did not justify the reaction it got.

I'll admit I was pretty surprised to see that Bill 6 is just some farm safety bill after seeing all the drama over it.

If they were serious about solving Canada's housing market problem, they should tackle non-citizen buyers and foreign investors who buy up all the shit for speculation where you see thousands of vacant condos sitting there with no one living in them

fuck foreign speculators non-citizens. Imposing a quota of 1 residential property per foreigner non-citizen would be a good start.

SRG01

If they were serious about solving Canada's housing market problem, they should tackle non-citizen buyers and foreign investors who buy up all the shit for speculation where you see thousands of vacant condos sitting there with no one living in them

fuck foreign speculators non-citizens. Imposing a quota of 1 residential property per foreigner non-citizen would be a good start.

Wouldn't an appropriate property tax on these properties be a better solution though?

maharg

idspispopd
Mmmm xenophobia, isn't it fun?

It strikes me as really unlikely 'foreign speculators' aren't reasonably likely to rent out their condos for something near market rate, or they're pretty shitty at making money.

And what about 'local speculators'? Are they all cool dudes who are worthy of keeping a unit off the market?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
o-JUSTIN-TRUDEAU-STEPS-570.jpg

"Some teacher reflexes never cease."

So said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's photographer, who captured this sweet moment between Canada's leader and a young student sitting on the steps of Parliament.

The boy was "having a bad day while on a school visit," and Trudeau — a father of three who once worked as a French, drama, and math teacher — hunkered down for a quick heart-to-heart.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/1...art_n_8796426.html?ncid=fcbklnkcahpmg00000001

Man, this guy...

And sadly this won't get the exposure it should. People in this country and in others need to see this. In my opinion it's far more important to the well being of others than constant cycle of terror threats in the news. Yeah, a rerrorist attack is a threat, but not as significant as lack of empathy for others. Good on him. And I'm kot a cynic like many out there who say he's doing it for publicity. I believe he is genuinely a kind soul.

gabbo

And sadly this won't get the exposure it should. People in this country and in others need to see this. In my opinion it's far more important to the well being of others than constant cycle of terror threats in the news. Yeah, a rerrorist attack is a threat, but not as significant as lack of empathy for others. Good on him. And I'm kot a cynic like many out there who say he's doing it for publicity. I believe he is genuinely a kind soul.

I hope it's for genuine reasons. I'm 100% positive our previous PM wouldn't have done the same for any reason OTHER than photo-op. Probably would have had him removed.

Wouldn't an appropriate property tax on these properties be a better solution though?

uh no, no, no, no, no

that is a Marxist Leninist Communist idea, so no

if the goal is reestablish affordable prices and affordable housing; a property tax hike would hurt to lower income earner the most.

It's not because you don't own that you won't see a rent hike. Property Tax hikes = Rent hikes too

Mmmm xenophobia, isn't it fun?

It strikes me as really unlikely 'foreign speculators' aren't reasonably likely to rent out their condos for something near market rate, or they're pretty shitty at making money.

And what about 'local speculators'? Are they all cool dudes who are worthy of keeping a unit off the market?

seriously?

Tiktaalik

Local speculators are a much bigger problem than foreign speculators, which likely only have a measurable impact in Vancouver.

The only thing that will create affordable housing in overheated markets such as Vancouver/Toronto is a combination of:

1. Complete elimination of single family housing in favour of higher density forms (eg. townhouse, rowhouse, and denser). Essentially just dramatically increasing supply of family oriented housing.

2. The government actively, and constantly building government owned subsidized housing in order to meet a set vacancy rate. This is what they do in Vienna, Hong Kong and many other places.

At the moment I can't see any Canadian government touching the above two ideas with a 10 foot pole.

maharg

idspispopd
uh no, no, no, no, no

that is a Marxist Leninist Communist idea, so no

if the goal is reestablish affordable prices and affordable housing; a property tax hike would hurt to lower income earner the most.

It's not because you don't own that you won't see a rent hike. Property Tax hikes = Rent hikes too

seriously?

You want to end a post where you call property taxes a "Marxist Leninist Communist" idea with a sarcastic "seriously"? Seriously?

Seriously. You're as bad as any Conservative Harper loving redneck I've ever met at times.

You want to end a post where you call property taxes a "Marxist Leninist Communist" idea with a sarcastic "seriously"? Seriously?

Seriously. You're as bad as any Conservative Harper loving redneck I've ever met at times.

property taxes hurt lower income families; it's a fact.

Property owner hike rents when municipal taxes get hiked, it's a fact

property tax is one of the most regressive tax there is

SRG01

This is very true, actually. Hikes in property taxes work in theory, but in reality hurt populations that have fixed or stagnant incomes, such as seniors and/or low income citizens.

What I was getting at though was more of a progressive/tiered property tax system much like how income tax is marginal.

maharg

idspispopd

So to you, regressive taxes are "Marxist Leninist Communist ideas"?

Because lol. Your political ideology is such a jumbled mess.

So to you, regressive taxes are "Marxist Leninist Communist ideas"?

Because lol. Your political ideology is such a jumbled mess.
My ideology is don't make life harder for those trying to get by.

property tax hikes are the laziest methods for a municipality to get money in their coffers.

Look at the mess in Montreal where borough mayors can hike taxes higher than their neighboring boroughs.

Montreal is today one of the slowest cities in Canada in terms of growth.
1) regressive methods of obtaining revenue
2) inept and bloated city hall
3) corruption
4) lack of creativity and innovation on how to increase revenu outside of tax hikes

Sean C

In truth, I don't think it makes sense to have property taxes anymore. They were instituted as a crude income tax, back before governments actually taxed income, and when most people in agrarian societies lived where they worked and derived income from the land. Now we do tax income, and most people don't actually earn anything from the land they own (why are we taxing retirees purely for continuing to live in the house they bought, for instance?).

It will never change, though, because property taxes are so built into how tax power is distributed.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They should get rid of property taxes purely because everyone bitches about them, and virtually no know knows how they actually work. Create something less counter-intuitive so the city doesn't have to fight tooth and nail to increase their revenue just to match inflation.

Azih

Yeah. Property taxes are really problematic and it's crazy that municipalities are completely dependant on them.

Mr.Mike

I think it'd be good to simplify the tax system in general, so that we can spend less money and time doing tax paperwork and reduce spending on the bureaucracy. I'm thinking something along the lines of only having income, sales and a carbon tax. (Income here including capital gains and investment income). So we'd get rid of property taxes and corporate taxes.

And along the same line of thought of reducing spending on bureaucracy, I'd like to see a lot of our welfare systems rolled into the tax system as tax credits. It'd hopefully be more efficient than having entire separate bureaucracies for them.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Property taxes make sense when a property could potentially be used for more useful means to the city. For example, a single-family house occupying space in a residential area where most houses are two to three stories high and where multiple families can live, that should be highly taxed. If you have multiple apartments in one building in such a residential area, then tax it less, but put in measures to prevent apartment blocks if that doesn't fit with the type of residential area it is. Basically, taxes in general should be used to influence development, habits, rout out inefficiencies (cars or houses that pollute more), etc.

Show me some sourced numbers before parroting this yellow-peril line.

Fact is, you won't find any numbers demonstrating that foreign "speculators" are contributing in any significant way to Canada's housing bubble. Funny to hear you spout xenophobic rhetoric, but not surprising considering you are aligned politically with conservatives, as the electoral compass you posted once demonstrated. The only reason you are for the PLC is because you think everyone else is a separatist.

gasoline tax = good, because it taxes usage of consumption. If you minimize your consumption, you get taxed less

property tax = bad. It hurts EVERYONE. rich,middle and poor. It is bad for all of them.

school tax = bad. Because school boards have gone rampaging wasting money on thing not related to schools. School board gone, I wouldn't care

income tax = needs modernization. The perfect system would be a real "gradual" system. Currently you got brackets that if you step over the line, you may end up worse.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
gasoline tax = good, because it taxes usage of consumption. If you minimize your consumption, you get taxed less

property tax = bad. It hurts EVERYONE. rich,middle and poor. It is bad for all of them.

school tax = bad. Because school boards have gone rampaging wasting money on thing not related to schools. School board gone, I wouldn't care

income tax = needs modernization. The perfect system would be a real "gradual" system. Currently you got brackets that if you step over the line, you may end up worse.

Oh you're one of those people.

Mr.Mike

Tax credits aren't going to pay for health care and education, Mike.

Simple != low taxes. And really the hope would be to reduce the amount spent on bureaucracy and thus having more for what we actually want (education, healthcare etc).

I don't really consider healthcare and education to be part of welfare, no?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
i'm against a flat rate.

I am for a gradual curved rate,

It isn't a flat rate! It's gradual!

So there, another one complaining about how taxes work who doesn't understand its most basic principle. You're also wrong about "foreign speculators".

Mr.Mike

We currently have steps, not a curve

https://simpletax.ca/calculator

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

15% on the first $44,701 of taxable income, +
22% on the next $44,700 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $44,701 up to $89,401), +
26% on the next $49,185 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $89,401 up to $138,586), +
29% of taxable income over $138,586.

And also you don't pay taxes on the first ~$10,000 you earn, dependent partly on your province.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just to clarify what's going on here

UIgZrfi.png

in the top two graphs, we have "how marginal tax rates actually work".

in the bottom two graphs, we have "how the average person understands marginal tax rates -- i.e. as if they were effective tax rates"

maharg

idspispopd
Simple != low taxes. And really the hope would be to reduce the amount spent on bureaucracy and thus having more for what we actually want (education, healthcare etc).

I don't really consider healthcare and education to be part of welfare, no?

They are part of the welfare state. To some extent, it's a sign of how far we've come that people no longer consider these controversial welfare projects, but they are and were a significant project of the labour movement in the first half of the 20th century. When they were introduced they were called "Marxist Leninist Communist" ideas (and more rightly so than property tax, which I'm still laughing at).

diaspora

This is mathematically impossible.

Mr.Mike

They are part of the welfare state. To some extent, it's a sign of how far we've come that people no longer consider these controversial welfare projects, but they are and were a significant project of the labour movement in the first half of the 20th century. When they were introduced they were called "Marxist Leninist Communist" ideas (and more rightly so than property tax, which I'm still laughing at).

Y'know, the in-congruence of taxes on owned property being a Communist thing just struck me.

There might be a great opportunity for a party to have a big awareness campaign about progressive taxation and get much of the political benefit of lowering taxes without actually lowering them.

Hycran

Banned
Y'know, the in-congruence of taxes on owned property being a Communist thing just struck me.

There might be a great opportunity for a party to have a big awareness campaign about progressive taxation and get much of the political benefit of lowering taxes without actually lowering them.

The problem recently has been that the way people have been "lowering taxes without lowering them" has been through tax expenditures, something that actually does not lead to lower taxes on aggregate. Giving someone a credit to send their son to hockey camp doesn't lead to poorer people disproportionally benefitting, but actually leads to richer voters simply saving more money. Other than credits that clearly benefit the plebs, I think most tax expenditures in niche programs should be removed.

SRG01

I actually had to look up je m'en fous :lol

While I don't necessarily agree with gutter on his other points, I do agree that property taxes are pretty bad in the grand scheme of things. It is, unfortunately, one of the only ways Canadian municipalities can raise money aside from the pittance that is the gas tax.

While I don't necessarily agree with gutter on his other points, I do agree that property taxes are pretty bad in the grand scheme of things. It is, unfortunately, one of the only ways Canadian municipalities can raise money aside from the pittance that is the gas tax.

nice to see a Centrist on this board who agrees with me on taxation.

the grafs posted are wrong though, our tax brackets are Steps not curve.

Canadian-Marginal-Tax-Rates-2014-Manitoba.png

The brackets are steps but the effective tax rate on all your income as income increases is a piece-wise linear approximation of a curve. IE, it's good enough.

Azih

The brackets are steps right but there is never a chance that a raise will result in less take home pay as the higher tax rate is only on the MARGIN of the income not the whole thing. The red curve is what you should be looking at not the blue lines.

maharg

idspispopd

I don't think anyone has defended property taxes. Hell, go back a few pages and find me ranting about municipal tax powers. What I find hilarious is gutter's bizarre notion that regressive taxes are communist.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Did you even look at the name of the image you posted

*zoom enhance*

LZYtHCM.gif

What do you think a "marginal" tax rate is? It's not your tax rate. You do understand this, right?

The graph I posted is exactly the Canadian federal tax rates. The graph I posted in the second row are what you think they are. You are wrong. You do not understand the word marginal. Because you don't understand it, you think it means something else. Notice how the second row has steps and the first row doesn't. Have you ever heard of the word "marginal"?

It means you only pay the higher rate on the money you earn after the bottom of the higher bracket. If you go from making $44,701 (top of the first bracket) to $44,702 (bottom of the second bracket), you don't pay 22% tax on all your income, you pay 22% tax on $1 of your income and 15% tax on the rest.

This is not a separatist trick. This is really what the word marginal means. Have you ever filed taxes? If not you probably should. You can go to jail if you don't. I'm serious. It's actually against the law. It's not even a Harper law, that's been on the books for a while. I know integral/summation calculus is hard so it may be difficult to tell the difference between a line and the area under the line, but taxes are a basic civic duty. You're an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom