• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneils

Anyone here ever have a conversation with co-workers or friends about the new cpp discussions? I'm really curious to see how this all works out. The last proposal that I thought had any traction was the one posed by labour unions - they wanted cpp benefits to double. From memory, they never really clarified whether they though premiums should be doubled too.

What exactly are the liberals going to propose? Anyone know?

Not that polls mean anything right now, but "Unsure" is currently polling second on the question of people's preferred PM:

CX-Q-IrWcAEBMcn.png

gabbo

Nathan Cullen? Or Brian Topp? Topp is currently chief of staff in Notley's government...

Topp, couldn't remember his name offhand. Welp, that's all I got, unless one of their defeated MPs can take the reigns (dewar, leslie, etc)

mo60

Not that polls mean anything right now, but "Unsure" is currently polling second on the question of people's preferred PM:

Unsure is more preferred then Mulcair and Ambrose. LMAO.Also, I rather wait to discuss Mulcair's fate and save it for after the next NDP leadership review.

Topp, couldn't remember his name offhand. Welp, that's all I got, unless one of their defeated MPs can take the reigns (dewar, leslie, etc)

Dewar has said he's done with politics, plus his French is bad enough that basically disqualifies him. Leslie...don't know. She apparently just moved to Ottawa to start working for the WWF, but she's been publicly supportive of Mulcair's leadership so I have a hard time imagining she'd be up for getting rid of him.

Unsure is more preferred then Mulcair and Ambrose. LMAO.Also, I rather wait to discuss Mulcair's fate and save it for after the next NDP leadership review.

That leadership review is going to be interesting, especially now that an Ontario NDP MPP has called for him to resign. I don't think he's facing the kind of insurrection that took out leaders like Joe Clark (who resigned the PC leadership after getting 67% in his review in 1983) or Ralph Klein (quit the Alberta PC leadership because he only got 55%), but at the same time, I don't think he's in a position to get the 90%+ that leaders usually get in these reviews. He apparently has a strong hold over the party machinery in Ottawa, but outside of here...no idea.

(Sidenote: I love the quote from DiNovo in that Star story, on the need for the NDP to figure out where to go next: "We’re no longer new. We’re certainly not democratic. And no one is having a party anywhere.”

gabbo

Dewar has said he's done with politics, plus his French is bad enough that basically disqualifies him. Leslie...don't know. She apparently just moved to Ottawa to start working for the WWF, but she's been publicly supportive of Mulcair's leadership so I have a hard time imagining she'd be up for getting rid of him.

Those were just two of the names that came to mind of higher profile MPs they lost.

But if Mulcair goes, who will you lambaste at the mere mention of their name?

and don't hate the NDP the party, I hate political compass shape shifters and political party shoppers like Muclair.

anyway, since Trudeau won a majority and I will tune out from Federal politics since I won my elections, I will focus my full hate onto PKP for 2018

SRG01

That leadership review is going to be interesting, especially now that an Ontario NDP MPP has called for him to resign. I don't think he's facing the kind of insurrection that took out leaders like Joe Clark (who resigned the PC leadership after getting 67% in his review in 1983) or Ralph Klein (quit the Alberta PC leadership because he only got 55%), but at the same time, I don't think he's in a position to get the 90%+ that leaders usually get in these reviews. He apparently has a strong hold over the party machinery in Ottawa, but outside of here...no idea.

(Sidenote: I love the quote from DiNovo in that Star story, on the need for the NDP to figure out where to go next: "We’re no longer new. We’re certainly not democratic. And no one is having a party anywhere.”

The leadership will most certainly go to Nathan Cullen if Mulcair is ousted. There's no one else at the senior ranks that's qualified.

Unless they get Ruth Ellen Brosseau. But that's a distant dream at this point.

Boogie

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-blair-liberal-marijuana-czar-1.3394240

Mwahahaha

So, Bill Blair to spearhead Pot Legalization.

Whatever you think of legalization, or Blair for that matter, I think this is great, politically. Best way for Trudeau to blunt the outrage from law and order conservative types, sure, throw the former Toronto police chief on the file, who still throws the Left in the city into fits of rage (for some reason).

Smart.curve ball, I think.

Layell

sure, throw the former Toronto police chief on the file, who still throws the Left in the city into fits of rage (for some reason).

I'd imagine his complete avoidance of accountability for G20 would be the cause of that, I for one will never forget what he allowed happen.

Tapejara

Gov't plans to revamp Bill C-51, wants to hear from Canadians.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...tml?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

The Liberal government is open to an expansive revamp of national security legislation, not just a handful of promised changes to the controversial anti-terror bill known as C-51, says Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale.

The government will give Canadians a chance to have their say before deciding what changes to make, Goodale said in an interview with The Canadian Press.
“If the consultation leads to a broader set of action items, obviously we would be guided by what that consultation tells us,” he said. “The subject matter is large, it’s complex, the solutions aren’t particularly easy to achieve. But our whole point in having consultations is to listen to what we hear. And if the messages indicate that something more needs to be done, obviously we would try to pursue that.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has asked Goodale to work with Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould to repeal the “problematic elements” of Bill C-51 and introduce new legislation that strengthens accountability with respect to national security while better balancing collective security with rights and freedoms.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My preference would simply be to strike the C-54 changes categorically and then separately, if there's something wrong with the pre-C-51 status quo, table a bill to introduce those changes.

lupinko

I wrote to the PMO, I'm not expecting a response but I'll delighted and lol if I get a response.

It's related to education and intercultural cooperation so it was actually for something worthwhile instead of a rant. Lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wrote to the PMO, I'm not expecting a response but I'll delighted and lol if I get a response.

It's related to education and intercultural cooperation so it was actually for something worthwhile instead of a rant. Lol

About 2/3rds of the MPs I've written over the years (admittedly, normally I only write MPs I've met and I start with a personal anecdote about having met them) have written me back personal letters. I've never written the PMO because really why, but I did write Allan Rock when he was the UN ambassador and I got back a personalized letter from his staff. I doubt he read or saw it but someone took the time to write me back.

Indicate

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-blair-liberal-marijuana-czar-1.3394240

Mwahahaha

So, Bill Blair to spearhead Pot Legalization.

Whatever you think of legalization, or Blair for that matter, I think this is great, politically. Best way for Trudeau to blunt the outrage from law and order conservative types, sure, throw the former Toronto police chief on the file, who still throws the Left in the city into fits of rage (for some reason).

In addition to what others have already said about G20, carding is also another reason.

lupinko

About 2/3rds of the MPs I've written over the years (admittedly, normally I only write MPs I've met and I start with a personal anecdote about having met them) have written me back personal letters. I've never written the PMO because really why, but I did write Allan Rock when he was the UN ambassador and I got back a personalized letter from his staff. I doubt he read or saw it but someone took the time to write me back.

Oh okay that's good to know. I bring it up because my students are really interested in the G7 this year and my city will be one of the sites (Trudeau will be in a different city though). I asked him because he's a fellow school teacher and he's also the minister of youth too. I also tried to contact the embassy in addition to my local school board too.

I might as well, it wouldn't hurt. Worst case scenario is no response, which is whatever.

Mrmartel

Banned
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/macquarie-loonie-forecast-1.3401644

A day after the loonie slipped below the 70-cent US level for the first time since 2003, a forecaster at investment bank Macquarie says he expects the loonie to lose another 10 cents to reach an all-time low of 59 cents by the end of 2016.

David Doyle of Macquarie Capital Markets Canada Ltd. lowered his Canadian dollar forecast to 59 cents US on Tuesday. That would eclipse the all-time low for the loonie, set on Jan. 21, 2002, at 61.79 cents US.

Doyle knows of what he speaks. Last February, when the Canadian dollar was valued at just over 80 cents, he — correctly, as it turns out — predicted the loonie would hit 69 cents at some point in the next 12 months.

It did so Tuesday.

"Once [the loonie] reaches this level," Doyle said, "it should remain subdued through [the end of] 2018 and potentially even longer."

Loonie to possibly drop to 59 cents by the end of 2016.

This economy is screwed. As a Nurse, the US is looking better every day.

Azih

Film industry in Canada will have more work than it knows what to do with though. At these levels auto manufacturing should make a bit of a comeback too.

Plus it means that even more foreign money is going to be pouring into Canadian real estate. Though that's bad for us locals looking to buy :_(

Mrmartel

Banned
Film industry in Canada will have more work than it knows what to do with though. At these levels auto manufacturing should make a bit of a comeback too.

Plus it means that even more foreign money is going to be pouring into Canadian real estate. Though that's bad for us locals looking to buy :_(

As a resource based nation (unfortunately), none of those bonuses are really going to have any affect for the vast majority of Canadians. It helps foreign business and investors that's about it.

But everyone's Groceries bills and overall purchasing power/standard of living. That will keep falling into the abyss

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You'll get high food and clothes costs, that hurts everyone. People will cut on spending as a result and that will affect small and medium-sized businesses.

Then you have people who won't be able to pay their mortgages, so expect widespread defaults on that end, hurting the financial sector. The bubble will burst, finally.

The government will likely cut rates which will fuel this.

This will be balanced by companies moving jobs to Canada or keeping jobs in Canada because salaries paid in CAD will be cheap. But that takes time, you need to reach a point where it's clear the CAD won't rise back soon.

I expected high 60s low 70s months ago, but now low 60s seem likely.

Huge deficits likely on the part of the government to spend on infrastructure, if they stick to it (which they should, but it remains to be seen how timid they will be, thank God for their majority).

As a resource based nation (unfortunately), none of those bonuses are really going to have any affect for the vast majority of Canadians. It helps foreign business and investors that's about it.

Really?

A big chunk of that 7% "Natural Resources" is agriculture, fisheries, and forestry, which should be able to increase activity/exports as the dollar goes down.

SRG01

Really?

A big chunk of that 7% "Natural Resources" is agriculture, fisheries, and forestry, which should be able to increase activity/exports as the dollar goes down.

The major problem is that commodities is the primary way in which the Canadian dollar is pegged, regardless of our actual economic makeup. The commodities sector also has tendrils that weave into other industries too, including services and manufacturing, so that pie chart is a little misleading.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Can't wait for the day where a grocecy bill for just me and my girlfriend cost 150$ minimum.

Also brand new video games at 100$. Looks like I'll stick to WoW(with its free sub tokens), Mass Effect and Zelda for this year and the next.

Can't wait for the day where a grocecy bill for just me and my girlfriend cost 150$ minimum.

Also brand new video games at 100$. Looks like I'll stick to WoW(with its free sub tokens), Mass Effect and Zelda for this year and the next.

that is what a back catalogue is for ;)

I prepared for this day

Lexxism

Hey, don't forget when the Liberals increase the GST.

While I generally agree that any given PM doesn't impact the dollar too much, I agree with this article from last week which suggests that, at the very least, Harper could've done more:

Diversifying away from resources now becomes a major challenge for the country’s new Liberal government, led by Justin Trudeau, according to David Dodge, governor of the Bank of Canada from 2001 to 2008 and a former deputy minister of finance under both Conservative and Liberal governments.
The road he sees ahead is to restore the emphasis the Mulroney government in the 1980s and the Chretien government in the 1990s placed on building up the manufacturing and service sectors.
In its effort to become an energy superpower, Canada neglected technological development, Dodge said. “So we’re going to have to go back, having lost a decade on the technological side,” he said.

There was also an article a few weeks ago about a study that found that over 60% of Canadian defence spending projects were well behind schedule, and that in most cases the delays were because Harper had pushed the announcements down the road to have things to announce just before the election. That's kind of his time as PM in a nutshell: delaying doing anything meaningful in the name of slightly better optics.

Oh okay that's good to know. I bring it up because my students are really interested in the G7 this year and my city will be one of the sites (Trudeau will be in a different city though). I asked him because he's a fellow school teacher and he's also the minister of youth too. I also tried to contact the embassy in addition to my local school board too.

I might as well, it wouldn't hurt. Worst case scenario is no response, which is whatever.

Like Stump said, you should get a response, especially if it's something to do with kids/students. When I was 7 I wrote a letter to the PM and I got a letter (which didn't really say much) and a signed picture in response pretty quickly. I also worked on the Hill in the late '90s as an MP's correspondence assistant, and any time there was anything involving kids it got pushed up to the front of the pile. You may just get a form letter response, but it would be shocking if you got nothing.

The Victorian

Neo Member

As a Canadian, I find Mr. O'Leary to be the most repugnant individual this country has created once you exclude the murderers and serial killers. I'm sure someone will say "Oh, it's just an act, he's only acts like that for attention." Well, if you act like a complete knob for attention, then guess what? That makes you a complete knob.

Watch his "discussion" with Chris Hedges and you'll see just how devoid of substance he is. He is, as some might say, all hat and no cattle.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I basically think Kevin O'Leary comes off, on television, even when it doesn't matter, as a person who doesn't like other people. I think that is the absolute worst quality for a politician. The worship of lucre is also a bad quality.

maharg

idspispopd
The most annoying thing about him to me is that his only claim to fame is selling a broken and dying edutainment company to Mattel in 1999, the height of dot-com zaniness, and Mattel subsequently having to write it all down and sell it off at a loss.

He won a lottery, like so many other people with really shitty business skills in 1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom