• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom confirms Xbox versions of 'Marvel vs. Capcom' and 'Capcom Fighting Game Collection 2' are on the way

Draugoth

Gold Member
smgRPV6AxMrNNi9R3g8LN8-970-80.jpg.webp

BREAKING: Capcom solves the technical hurdles preventing Marvel vs. Capcom and Capcom Fighting Game 2 collections from hitting Xbox. Both will arrive in 2025.

Dane

don't really know but for sure is something else as SVC Chaos is still missing from SNK in Xbox consoles
Quite odd because Ace Attorney collection is on Xbox One but is RE Engine, how exactly MT Framework got bugged on Xbox? Were they making spaghetti code up to eleven or even violating guidelines in terms of security for the console (aka being exploitable to hacks)?

Xyphie

Quite odd because Ace Attorney collection is on Xbox One but is RE Engine, how exactly MT Framework got bugged on Xbox? Were they making spaghetti code up to eleven or even violating guidelines in terms of security for the console (aka being exploitable to hacks)?

My guess it's probably something like MT Framework (or their emulator or whatever) only targeted some older, deprecated development environment which Microsoft no longer supports new game submissions for, and they either got permission to release on the old one or ported it to the newer one.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
D Darsxx82

From the other thread, it would be up to Capcom if they want to do separate SKU's for the last and current gen. But I think a current-gen SKU would be kind of pointless in this case. These are really old games, there's nothing having a native version on PS5 or SX would get that PS4 Pro or One X wouldn't. Saves Capcom some money for cert and maintaining multiple SKU's.

And as others have said, there are a lot of popular and widely used fighting game pads etc that only work on PS4/XBO version(s).

Last edited:

kevboard

D Darsxx82

From the other thread, it would be up to Capcom if they want to do separate SKU's for the last and current gen. But I think a current-gen SKU would be kind of pointless in this case. These are really old games, there's nothing having a native version on PS5 or SX would get that PS4 Pro or One X wouldn't. Saves Capcom some money for cert and maintaining multiple SKU's.

And as others have said, there are a lot of popular and widely used fighting game pads etc that only work on PS4/XBO version(s).

yeah, I also tried to remind people in the locked thread why a PS5 version would be a stupid idea and why a Series X version would be pointless.

when playing on a PS5, you can use ALL PS4 and ALL PS5 controllers and fight sticks in PS4 games.
while in PS5 games you can ONLY use PS5 compatible sticks and controllers.

this means if there was a PS5 version of these collections, it would literally be a downgrade. as you would have zero benefits in graphics quality or framerate, and only a miniscule improvement in load times (if even any)... but your controller choices would be limited compared to the PS4 version, where you can use all PS5 and PS4 peripherals.

so it's so weird to me that during the original announcements of both of these collections I saw people on twitter and Reddit be confused and sometimes actually angry that there's no PS5 version... like... guys, think about what you're asking for for 10 seconds lol

and while these issues with controllers would not exist on Xbox, it would still have no benefits (in this case not even load time benefits as back compat games on Xbox have access to the full bandwidth)

another benefit for these Xbox One and PS4 versions that I didn't even think about until now is that your choices on where to install them to are increased, as you can install Xbox One and PS4 games on USB HDDs and SSDs instead of habing to possibly waste space on your limited onboard or extended fast storage

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Remember when Jez said MS was working with Capcom to resolve the MT Framework Xbox issues? Yea he wasn't full of shit like everyone here said.

Good for him, if true, but 9 times out of 10 if you say Jez is full of shit then you are probably going to be right.

But I'm not seeing anything here detailing the "technical discussions" so we still don't know.

Last edited:

kevboard

This should be super easy... these are like super basic 2d sprite games. i don't get it

they didn't update their engine to work with newer Xbox dev kits, MT Framework is basically a dead engine that they only use for these emulation collections now.

I think on playstation the devs can just use old PS4 SDKs without updates to release games, but on Xbox you need to be up to date on the newest SDK, so your engine needs to work on the newest one.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This should be super easy... these are like super basic 2d sprite games. i don't get it

The supposed reason is that somewhere in the Xbox development kit they somehow lost compatibility with MT Framework engine, which sounds very weird to me cause there have been plenty of MT Framework games on Xbox One. So it's either something specific to a version of the SDK or a version of MT Framework.

Either way, looks like they've resolved the issue. It's probably too late to release Vol 1 on time as it's just around the corner. Col 2 may be day and date with the other versions.

Bridges

Fuck yes! So in for MvC collection. It'll be nice to have the entire series available on one console

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
they didn't update their engine to work with newer Xbox dev kits, MT Framework is basically a dead engine that they only use for these emulation collections now.

I think on playstation the devs can just use old PS4 SDKs without updates to release games, but on Xbox you need to be up to date on the newest SDK, so your engine needs to work on the newest one.
This sounds like the most plausible explanation, initially I thought it may be some kind of stupid Xbox self imposed rule like you can not release an Xbox One game alone anymore without at least an X Series version too, but I think this SDK theory is most likely and somehow Xbox have let them overcome it.

Darsxx82

D Darsxx82

My thought is that we are in the 4th year of generation. Whether or not it is interesting, whether or not it is a waste of time and resources.... Any game of any kind must have a native version. Especially if there is a physical version for sale and the new platforms have features that could have been used. Imagine if the next consoles are not compatible with the XBO/PS4 catalog...

That said, I can perfectly get to understand Capcom that decides to only create a PS4/XBO version. they understand the situation better. But that doesn't mean that it's not shocking to see games for the past gen without a native version for the current one.

Top Bottom