• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Fighting Evolution - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/capcomfightingjam/review.html

"Five years ago, Capcom Fighting Evolution probably would have been a great game. It does a decent job of throwing together a bunch of different characters into the mix, and letting them take advantage of their respective games' specific play mechanics. It also plays fine and looks good. At the same time, Capcom Fighting Evolution is the umpteenth game to recycle these same graphics, sounds, and mechanics, so unless you're dying to experience some of the strange matchups possible here, you could just as well go back to playing whichever games all these fighters hailed from."

Despite the low score, I still plan on purchasing CFE this week..:)

I prefer the Japanese boxart though

1212488.jpg

instead we have Udon's artwork

243881.jpg

How about we wish for these stagnant bitches to stop recycling sprites and game engines already and make something worth looking into?

Cry as they may, 2D fans have nobody to blame but the companies they love for ruining the genre they love.

Give me a high res Darkstalkers sequel for the PS2 - EMBARGO OFF!

Tellaerin

They should've stuck with Capcom Fighting Jam for the US release--Fighting Evolution implies that the game's a step forward. Recycling sprites from a couple of more obscure coin-op titles in addition to the usual suspects does not constitute 'evolution'. Say what you will about KOF:MI, but SNK's at least trying to update its franchises to make them more relevant to contemporary gamers.

IMO, Capcom should do one final crossover game, using every single character they have archived, just to get the urge out of their systems. Then, with the temptation to recycle their old sprites eliminated once and for all, they can actually sit down and try to develop a new fighter from the ground up. :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Tellaerin said:
They should've stuck with Capcom Fighting Jam for the US release--Fighting Evolution implies that the game's a step forward. Recycling sprites from a couple of more obscure coin-op titles in addition to the usual suspects does not constitute 'evolution'. Say what you will about KOF:MI, but SNK's at least trying to update its franchises to make them more relevant to contemporary gamers.

IMO, Capcom should do one final crossover game, using every single character they have archived, just to get the urge out of their systems. Then, with the temptation to recycle their old sprites eliminated once and for all, they can actually sit down and try to develop a new fighter from the ground up. :p

Agreed, changing the name to Evolution was in itself a real bad move. Fighting -Jam- implies a big party - which is what CFE/J is. It's doomed to get bad professional reviews because generally speaking, pro reviewers are looking at things from the perspective of Johnny Newgame - "Ooo oo! What is my new game for this week, to dazzle me with quick thrills until Madden 05/GTA: Chicago Slaughter is out?" This isn't even neccessarily an evil thing, as say, a game like CFJ isn't in any way intended to be a "new, competitive" title and go up against the GTAs. It is in the end crossover party for the enthusiast fighting game player.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Tis a sad day for Capcom, when THIS->

920505_20041115_screen007.jpg

apparently is the recommended fighting game on the same review day.

ferricide

The Take Out Bandit said:
How about we wish for these stagnant bitches to stop recycling sprites and game engines already and make something worth looking into?

Cry as they may, 2D fans have nobody to blame but the companies they love for ruining the genre they love.

Give me a high res Darkstalkers sequel for the PS2 - EMBARGO OFF!

Tellaerin said:

IAWTP x 2

i have never just hated a game on a total gut level as bad as CFE in recent memory. i mean, i spent untold hundreds (thousands?) of dollars on capcom fighting games on the saturn and dreamcast, and this is what they're trying to do now? fuck that shit. SVC isn't great but at least SNKP made a fucking new game from scratch. and i heartily agree about KOFMI.

ourumov

It's a pity...They want us to be stuck on our old Alpha2/3, SFIII and don't play anything more for the rest of our lives.

BenT

belgurdo said:
Udon>Shinkirou
Whoa, I agree with Belgurdo for once :))), though not necessarily based on these covers. Udon's overall work for CFE is excellent; they really capture the essence of the SF characters and make them look fresh again.

XS+

Banned
"capture the essence" = ripoff Bengus and Edayan's artsyle from the late 90s.

Other than Alvin Lee, guest artists like Shinkirou, and possibly somebody I haven't heard of yet, I consider the whole Udon thing to be a joke.

And Shinkirou and 2D fighting have gone hand-and-hand for a decade plus, long before I heard if Udon and their artists. Credit where credit's due.

"capture the essence" = ripoff Bengus and Edayan's artsyle from the late 90s.

FIGHT!

FIGHT!

FIGHT!

I'd kiss you, but I don't have a file transfer protocol for that kind of thing yet. :p

Jo Chen also ads some legitimacy to the FOB bastards at Udon, but so far as I know she's an independent contractor.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
video game reviewers proving time and time again why they dont know anything about fighting games.

Unison

Capcom needs to just release the ultimate collection of 2d sprite fighters, where everyone can play against everyone, and be done with it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
OH NO THEY CALLED IT "EVOLUTION" INSTEAD OF "JAM" AND IT'S NOT A STEP FORWARD LET ME DIS IT AND THEN GO PLAY MY HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED FPS WITH GAME PLAY THAT'S BEEN DONE 300 TIMES BEFORE YAY

MoxManiac said:
Screw you guys, CFE looks fun as hell. I eagerly wait tommorrow when it comes in.

And I agree with this post. While new sprites would be awesome, don't just fault Capcom. SNK does it too, as does Arc System Works with their Guilty Gear games.

This is still better than getting ports of the same games over and over again. SF Anniversary Collection rocks, but SF3 Third Strike is still the same game from 5 years ago. And CFE has more "new elements" in it than Hyper SF2 does.

CFE should also play a lot better than SvC Chaos, and is more of a new game than Guilty Gear Isuka (Talk about recycling and messed up game play!) is.

I don't expect the best 2D fighting game ever, but I do expect something really fun to play, with more balanced game play than MvC2, a better character roster than SF3 (I like the choices they picked), and something just as good as CvS2, which is now 3+ years old.

As disappointed as I was to see Capcom reusing old sprites after a three-year fighting game hiatus, I pretty much expected it. CFE's only real flaw in my eyes (this is before I play it though) is that the roster, at 23 characters, should have been larger since it's just reusing sprites.

But CFE looks to *PLAY* well, and that's the most important thing. The videos I've seen (no, not IGN, those don't show crap) seem to indicate that it does, and fanboys on SRK whining about Jedah being too good or that it could be broken HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED THE GAME YET, so I dismiss the majority of their claims.

As for the print reviews, they seem to overlook the game play completely and just label it "the same old thing" while giving games like DBZ Budokai **3** higher scores or giving the 1000th FPS a 9+. Don't bitch and moan about a lack of innovation in one genre when the rest have the same problem is all I'm saying. (Obviously the 3D games aren't recycling graphics and such, but my point is focusing on the game play)

Unison

CFE's only real flaw in my eyes (this is before I play it though) is that the roster, at 23 characters, should have been larger since it's just reusing sprites.

This is my sole complaint. After SNK Vs. Capcom 2 (which Gamespot mentions has more Capcom fighters than this + all the SNK ones!) or MVC 2, this game looks anemic. I'll probably still get it, since I love Capcom fighters, but I can't help but think CFE2 will kick its butt.

Grifter

Lyte Edge said:
OH NO THEY CALLED IT "EVOLUTION" INSTEAD OF "JAM" AND IT'S NOT A STEP FORWARD LET ME DIS IT AND THEN GO PLAY MY HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED FPS WITH GAME PLAY THAT'S BEEN DONE 300 TIMES BEFORE YAY

You're overzealous most of the time, and this is coming from a guy who learns all kinds of random fighters (Waku Waku 7, FX Fighter, Melty Blood ReACT lately but that's somewhat legit good), but you're right on the mark. Fighter gameplay dynamics change a whole lot more than the latest contrived FPS weapon.

However, the "Evolution" tag is silly. If Capcom made a fighter from scratch, what kind of sales can we expect? Hypothetically, let's say it sells like Auto Modellista (pure example, dunno how that sold but seems bad). Would the fighter really be more work?

And Arc gets a free pass on their sprites cuz they're still cutting edge to everything else in comparison, not counting animation.

Top Bottom