• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess | Review Thread

[Sigma]

Finished with the Platinum. Got done everything you could possibly get done in the first play through which means I only needed to do the 2 extra challenges per stage in the new game+ to get to the final boss and see the true ending. Naturally it went faster this time around having done that plus now with all of soh's upgrades and most of the upgrade for villager roles. Final boss was not making it easy for me, had to find some cheese that worked lol.

Anyways, fun times.

The Ema plaques are cool getting a detailed look at enemies and such.

Also like the special illustrations in the Emaki Gallery.

Favorite Tsuba Guards: Genbu's Might, Kochin Wards, Taion's Lightning

Prefered Oka Dance over Shiden Dance for mobility(Shiden probably would have been way to go against the final boss but I didn't test it out.)

Archery Shot: Oxalis Shot(although some stages called for others)

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Personally it’s exciting to see Capcom doing games like this in today’s gaming landscape.
Its niche, sure, but so is stuff like Godhand, Drakenguard, “insert Vanillaware game name here” and I hope they let their newer internal teams (assumption here) flex their design/creative muscles.

Played around 5 hours and have throughly enjoyed my time so far.

TwiztidElf

Finished with the Platinum. Got done everything you could possibly get done in the first play through which means I only needed to do the 2 extra challenges per stage in the new game+ to get to the final boss and see the true ending. Naturally it went faster this time around having done that plus now with all of soh's upgrades and most of the upgrade for villager roles. Final boss was not making it easy for me, had to find some cheese that worked lol.

Anyways, fun times.

Prefered Oka Dance over Shiden Dance for mobility(Shiden probably would have been way to go against the final boss but I didn't test it out.)

Favourite villager classes?
Mine were Sumo, Marksmen, Ninja, Shaman and Ascetic.
There's a nice little combo with Sumo/Shaman/Ascetic.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Anyways, fun times.

Im still pretty early in the game. Just got wrecked 3x on the centipede you have to light the lanterns on. What am I missing?

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Finished it last week, loved it. Enemy/boss design probably the best I've seen all year and I've finished a whole bunch of games. There is some unnecessary tedium with the village upgrading but I overall I dug the gameplay loop. Above all else it's one of the most unique games I've ever played, can't believe CAPCOM released something this weird/niche in this day and age, I salute them 🫡

Also, recommended the demo to a friend who never even heard of it. He ended up loving it, buying it and getting the plat trophy, I'm doing God's work.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Im still pretty early in the game. Just got wrecked 3x on the centipede you have to light the lanterns on. What am I missing?
You may have it done by the time of this reply but i'll mention anyway just in case. I kinda forgot all of the stuff you have access to at that point. But generally speaking, as soon as the fight start you want to order the villagers to attack and begin lighting the lanterns. Best start on the far right lantern(be there when the fight starts) and circle back and go all the way around doing that while assigning villagers to light the lantern. The villagers being woodcutters and/or archers leveled up as high as you can.

When all are lit and the centipede slowed, try attacking weak points like the tongue(you don't have to but it's for extra damage) and you should use your Tsuba Guard(Suzaka's Flame since your at the beginning of the game still) for more damage and doing damage to its stun meter. When the centipede is no longer slowed, order the villagers to defend Yoshiro(pick off some of the little centipedes or w
hatever they are called along the way) and begin assigning the villagers to the lantern again. When they are lit again, order the villagers to attack again repeating process(technically you can order the attack earlier, it really just depends on how much you have to deal with those little centipedes).

Be aware of your Tsuba Guard level, people tend to forget they have have it restocked at times during boss fights and don't use it when needed.
Favourite villager classes?
Mine were Sumo, Marksmen, Ninja, Shaman and Ascetic.
There's a nice little combo with Sumo/Shaman/Ascetic.

Mine were Ninja, Marksmen and Sumo. Cannoneer spam against certain big enemies and certain bosses. No need to mention Sorcerer because it is flat out OP lol.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Finally beat that damn centipede. Took me like 10 tries. I think I was just not getting core elements of the fight for a long time. All the stuff @[sigma] said is good advice. But I didnt realize the centipede is chasing me, not attacking the goddess. So I had to stay away at all times. Also lighting all the lanterns is actually bad. After the boss shrugs off the stuff it cancels all light if they're all lit. If not, they stay on. Also I just had to micromanage more intensely. Position my asetic and archer around the perimeter but keep all the woodcutters around the goddess with group defense until the boss was open. Then when open I would do all attack but still put 1 woodcutter on goddess defense always for worms.

The game is sick as hell. Legit has taken me like 7 hours to grasp how you can play it more aggessively and more technically. Its still pretty simple and easy controls but going for the side stuff like no goddess damage runs feels intense and requires understanding of how the battle system works.

Hoping I'm in for more smooth sailing for a bit. I get the sense that boss in particular is notorious from some of the youtube comments.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The game is $40 on Fanatical.

I am temped to get it because it is weird. Does it need a SSD?

No, going by Steam's page. You should be fine on an HDD.

It's a small game, 16GB only, and doesn't really do anything that would require it. The levels are all small arenas.

calistan

Reminds me I should try getting back into this. I gave up on a sort of swampy level that handed me my arse.

Narrow paths with wider areas where I'd get damaged if I stepped into the goo, but enemies had no problem attacking from there. It was a bit frustrating, and now I probably can't remember how to play anyway.

Top Bottom