• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom really isn't utilizing Onimusha in this day and age?

yurqqa

and the series was in a weird place before it stopped

Does it really matter if 0,1% of people who will not play fun game because "it's not canon" are unhappy ?
Most of the people don't really care about the continuity of the plot in games like Onimusha.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
These guys must truly be disorientated. In a world of GOT, Nioh, Ninja Gaiden, Sekiro and now Shadows this would be the time. Wtf?
And they decided to give us Warlords on Steam instead of Genma? I'm gonna slap a bitch!
I hope the franchise arrives one day. What they should do is bring Clock Tower 3 and Haunting Ground.

I mean, it would help meanwhile a new resident evil arrives.

Elios83

Creative bankruptcy + fear of a big flop if they greenlight a AAA reboot.
They also tried with the remaster of the original, it didn't do big numbers, it was obvious but it was probably considered an internal test and they didn't even bother remastering the sequels.
So it's dead although they handled it terribly.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
They would make it shit, probably copy what's trendy and make a shitty Sekiro knock off or Soulslike - completely missing the point of the first 2 games.

Not everything needs to come back or be rebooted. We'll always have the original Onimusha games, original Legacy Of Kain etc. let them be. Let's not fuck it all up.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
D'you know what's going to happen when like 6 feudal Japan games come out in the space of 2 years? People are going to get bored of feudal Japan. They've done the right thing really.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
fuck onimusha and fuck capcom in particular

Watch Out Badass GIF

It's bizarre indeed considering samurai, etc are quite popular again.

I figure that Capcom could made a slower action game, not a souls-like but have it be relatively difficult and crank the horror up. I only dabbled in the sequels but the first game is so effing good. Just make that but in a bigger setting.

I had some great time playing the original 3 games, so put me down for wanting a new Onimusha also. just make it a little faster pace and not fix cameras and you should have a good hit on your hands.

In a world of GOT, Nioh, Ninja Gaiden, Sekiro and now Shadows this would be the time. Wtf?
This is exactly why they shouldn't do Onimusha right now...

Not saying it would be bellow them or whatever, Capcom has full on turned into a lowest common denominator, low risk - high reward studio.

And considering that, there's just no point in participating in this orgy, with that model.
When you consider that Onimusha is not as much of a big name anymore.

And again, Capcom being a low risk, high reward studio now, Onimusha probably won't be happening soon.

If they were to release one now, it would just be another Samurai game to add to the orgy.

They won't be focusing on the Cyberbots, on the Darkstalkers, and the Onimushas. They will be focusing on easy, low risk choices.
Resident Evil, Marvel vs Capcom, Street Fighter, Dead Rising, so on.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Fahdis Fahdis my man, I wish I could give you gold.

They don't fuckin' know what Onimusha can do in this day and age with the current level of quality in games, much more impressive engines etc. They're stupid af if they think that it's not going to sell and that Onimusha remaster is a game they should measure the interest people have in this IP by.

If they'll make a new game or even much more ambicious remake of the first two, it'll sell like a fuckin'....

bW9LY1P.gif

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hearing about Onimusha makes me miss pre-rendered backgrounds like you wouldn't believe. I've only played the first game on the PS2 but that one already looked amazingly good thanks to those and the detailed 3D models.

Wonder how much would a game like that to be produced nowadays, probably just some pocket change compared to other Capcom productions like RE4R or Dragon's Dogma 2.

SCB3

They remastered the first game a few years ago, I own it on switch, but then never bothered with the rest

Hell look at Dink Crisis and CVX, they barely get a look in either

SHA

I think they like to stay humble and modest, can't complain if they keep making good stuff, better than blowing up the entire studio I guess.

bender

What time is it?
My bad, wanted to say remaster.

I'm with you in the sentiment of your original point. I'm guessing that port wasn't very expensive to make and would make the groundwork for the sequels an easier road to go down.

I bought in on PSN and Switch, and I say this as someone who finished the game a ton of times on PS2 and the Xbox release, I don't think it has aged all that well.

Puscifer

They would make it shit, probably copy what's trendy and make a shitty Sekiro knock off or Soulslike - completely missing the point of the first 2 games.

Not everything needs to come back or be rebooted. We'll always have the original Onimusha games, original Legacy Of Kain etc. let them be. Let's not fuck it all up.
Not to mention technological limitations for the best games from N64 to the PS2 exist because they had to max out what resources were available. Even Silent Hill as a series exist strictly because they couldn't draw the game world like they wanted too. Now it's "if you wanna do it, you can likely do it" which is a blessing and a curse.

I'd imagine Onimusha being Devil May Cry-light if it came back. The 4th game was already a Genji clone.

Frwrd

fuck onimusha and fuck capcom in particular
Even though I really wouldn't mind an Onimusha reboot, I must agree, fuck Capcom (in a few ways).

Personally, I'd love a new Tenchu, but I'm not too sure about it, I never got around the last one they made(?) wasn't it Xbox exclusive or something? I remember wanting to get it but I don't know, something looked odd about it.

Dr_Salt

Banned
They are working on something Onimusha, what that is we don't know. Capcom does not work on TV shows for an IP unless they are planning on releasing something. They did it for Dragons Dogma and I fully expect something Onimusha related will be revealed next year.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t know why they keep going back Resident Evil, when they could break things up with an Onimusha remake or Dino Crisis.

But then I guess they have to answer to shareholders.

Holammer

snoop-dog-who.gif

The Average gamers reaction to discussion about Onimusha & Dino Crisis.
The properties are ancient today and there's a good chance they weren't that hot to begin with. Otherwise Capcom would be smothering us with them.

Fahdis

snoop-dog-who.gif

The Average gamers reaction to discussion about Onimusha & Dino Crisis.
The properties are ancient today and there's a good chance they weren't that hot to begin with. Otherwise Capcom would be smothering us with them.

Not true son. Anything can be revitalized and born again from the Ashes.

Fahdis

Fahdis Fahdis my man, I wish I could give you gold.

They don't fuckin' know what Onimusha can do in this day and age with the current level of quality in games, much more impressive engines etc. They're stupid af if they think that it's not going to sell and that Onimusha remaster is a game they should measure the interest people have in this IP by.

If they'll make a new game or even much more ambicious remake of the first two, it'll sell like a fuckin'....

bW9LY1P.gif

Thanks brother, you and I both know this pain. I still find the OG CGI videos to be some of the best in gaming till this day. Damn Robot!

nial

These guys must truly be disorientated. In a world of GOT, Nioh, Ninja Gaiden, Sekiro and now Shadows this would be the time. Wtf?
In a world of what?
Also, mentioning AC Shadows instead of Rise of the Ronin is disrespectful.

TwinB242

I love Onimusha, but the fact they didn't even bother remastering any of the games past the first is a good indication that the series is going to remain dead for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom