• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom really isn't utilizing Onimusha in this day and age?

rkofan87

Gold Member
Thats what happened. Apparently according to Dusk Golem it sold bad enough that Capcom shelved remasters of both 2 and 3 (even though they were in the works).
oh god wtf boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo and why were they going to skip 4 is 4 that bad?

Neolombax

I've only ever finished Onimusha 3. 1 and 2 were too hard for me back in the day, 1 more than 2. That stupid ogre in the cave was a real roadblock. I played a bit of Dawn of Dreams, but I remember not liking the protagonist.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Capcom seems rather busy at the moment.
Yes they are!
JbxLI4f.gif

CamHostage

...Because the last entry in the series came out almost 20 years ago and the brand has had no cultural presence since then?

I'd like to see it myself, but I don't see how a few samurai-era game successes would prove bank for this brand. Capcom has done a good job adapting old RE overhead location designs for third-person combat/exploration mechanics, but Onimusha (and Dino Crisis, for that matter) would have some challenges RE didn't deal with in the perspective shift and the increase of tactical awareness / aim accuracy. (Dino Crisis at least has the iconic Regina and also kids buy dinosaur products, so that one's weird to not remaster even if it would change the game a lot to leave the locked camera system.) Onimusha 4DoD did a 3D world / behind-the-back camera but it was clumsy (and a remaster/remake would still need that tight-to-character camera design if it went third-person since the combat zones are so small and limited,) and it's unlikely an old-school top-down camera would be used in a AAA game today.

This makes remakes a difficult option (albeit not impossible,) leaving choices of continuing the series with Onimusha 5 or rebooting the franchise. Neither of these sounds like a billion-selling proposition unless there's a compelling new idea to build upon. Just banking on a small run in samurai titles from other publishers (many of which are very different games, aside from the setting, ) doesn't lead Onimusha directly to the top purely on nostalgia.

was just thinking a full blown onimusha3 remake would be cool.
I want to see demon carnage in Paris with modern graphics, whip Nobunaga's ass, and give them all a taste of lead. Sign me up.
onimusha-samanosuke.gif

The first two games weren't particularly fast,I think Onimusha should be like Bloodborne with regards to combat.
I think it would have more mechanical similarities to Sekiro.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

I want to see demon carnage in Paris with modern graphics, whip Nobunaga's ass, and give them all a taste of lead. Sign me up.
onimusha-samanosuke.gif

I think it would have more mechanical similarities to Sekiro.
I'm referring to the weapons transforms because of the limited amount of weapons , also the staggering system.

SkylineRKR

I liked the trilogy and never played 4. If I were to guess, remasters might be problematic since they used actors like Jean Reno.

Top Bottom