• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Brave New World | Official Teaser

Sybrix

It looks like a good film.

I've been done with the MCU since GOTG3 tbh, it is so over saturated.

I really wish they'd get rid of all the TV shows, 90% of them suck, WandaVision was good but i'd be happy if it ended in favor of quality rather than quantity.

Stick to 2x movies a year, 2 epic movies a year.

jason10mm

Gold Member
100% this. It’s why Winter soldier was the first Marvel film that i thought was a great standalone film and actually got me into the MCU.
But this seems to also be a "hey, there's rot inside the government" which, after hydra totally ate out the heart of Shield, shouldn't be treated like some fantastic imaginary possibility.

This seems like it takes directly from the TV show, guess I decide if I wanna watch it or just hope the film recaps the relevant parts.

Harrison Ford Movie GIF

YCoCg

I wonder what Harrison Ford we'll get, the "I'm just here for a pay cheque" or "I actually kinda like this, have some effort".

wondermega

Loved Winter Soldier (who didn't?) so my knee-jerk reaction is "please please be more like that," however it's been ages since Marvel/film was like that. This looks fine but it's pretty impossible to expect much other than "paint by the numbers" out of these guys by now. I'm glad that people are interested/positive about it (better than the usual threads where it's all just shotgun posting "Pass. Pass. Who cares. I hate Disney.... etc") Anyway, we will see.

I'm looking forward to Wolverine (again, who isn't?) but the slowdown of superhero oversaturation has been welcome. I am a bit surprised to hear that there will already be 3 high-profile Marvel films releasing next year - but geez isn't the new Superman film next year as well? Can't this already get slowed down a bit?

Toons

That movie was mid at best. It just so happened to get released during a huge social movement taking place.

The movie came out in 2018. Thered been plenty of movies aimed at the supposed audience you're talking about that didn't do the numbers it did.

It did those numbers becayse irs an awesome movie, AND resonated with a lot of people in a way those prior attempts and subsequent ones still haven't.

Even the sequel without the main lead made more money than a batman film the same year.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
The movie came out in 2018. Thered been plenty of movies aimed at the supposed audience you're talking about that didn't do the numbers it did.

It did those numbers becayse irs an awesome movie, AND resonated with a lot of people in a way those prior attempts and subsequent ones still haven't.

Even the sequel without the main lead made more money than a batman film the same year.

I didn't like that Black Panther sequel unfortunately. It should have been M'Baku that was the new Black Panther. I'm a big fan of that actor and have been following him before the first Black Panther movie came out. Also the second film still made a profit but not as much as the second film

jason10mm

Gold Member
I didn't like that Black Panther sequel unfortunately. It should have been M'Baku that was the new Black Panther. I'm a big fan of that actor and have been following him before the first Black Panther movie came out. Also the second film still made a profit but not as much as the second film
Agreed, M'Baku to step in and carry the story would have been the best option.

Black Panther is an interesting film series. It's the only one what gets more than 50% of its BO from the US so you can kinda account for the "African-american surge" it might have versus a regular MCU film by shaving 10-15% off the BO (or, perhaps, consider it a "foreign office dislike of the leads" and add 10-15%???).

But Sam isn't T'Challa. Is Bucky even in CA4? It seems like a whole new universe carried off the back of a side character, more like Black Widow really, than a continuation of the Chris Evans Cap series. This looks waaaaaay better than Ant-man 3, Eternals, or The Marvels, for sure, about on par with GotG3 maybe, clocking in at $800 mill. But that ain't gonna cover the massive budget. Maybe Deadpool 3 will re-ignite marvel fandom, but even then its 8 more months till CA4.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Agreed, M'Baku to step in and carry the story would have been the best option.

Black Panther is an interesting film series. It's the only one what gets more than 50% of its BO from the US so you can kinda account for the "African-american surge" it might have versus a regular MCU film by shaving 10-15% off the BO (or, perhaps, consider it a "foreign office dislike of the leads" and add 10-15%???).

But Sam isn't T'Challa. Is Bucky even in CA4? It seems like a whole new universe carried off the back of a side character, more like Black Widow really, than a continuation of the Chris Evans Cap series. This looks waaaaaay better than Ant-man 3, Eternals, or The Marvels, for sure, about on par with GotG3 maybe, clocking in at $800 mill. But that ain't gonna cover the massive budget. Maybe Deadpool 3 will re-ignite marvel fandom, but even then its 8 more months till CA4.

That's the thing with the upcoming Captain America movie. I'm actually a fan of Anthony Mackie as Captain America. My only issue with the Falcon show is that they had to put in SJW stuff in it when the MCU never had it before. What I'm hoping for is that there's none of that in the new movie. Also Giancarlo Esposito is looking great as the villain. Yes he's typecasted as that all the time but I think it fits him in this movie. I really hope Bucky shows up in CA4. He was one of my favorite parts in the Falcon show

BTW wasn't a fan of GOTG 3 or any of the movie so far in Phase Five

The only thing I enjoyed of Phase Five is Loki Season 2

Agatha All Along I'm skipping. The preview didn't catch my interest and just seems like a more hocu pocus thing. Not an insult just not my thing

I know next year MCU movie wise

Fantastic Four and Captain America The New World Order are the ones I'm most interested in

Thunderbolts is a wait and see for me. Personally they should go Hard R with this movie but I doubt they are gonna to do that

As for shows not really sure what's coming out in 2025. Ironheart I'm skipping. Nothing against the character but her suit looked horrible in Wakanda Forever. Daredevil Born Again I'm interested in but I'm hoping its Hard TV-MA though

The movie premieres next year. There's plenty of time to clean up the CGI. Most of it is unfinished, thanks to reshoots. But also thanks to no other Marvel movies this year, they can fine tune the CGI for all of next year's movies.

There's like 7 more months before release. I'm expecting the CGI to be fixed especially now that Chapek is gone.

Pigenator

Wow what a revolutionary plot - attacks on white house and the superhero saving the president.
This is what they came up with after 50 years of production and reshoots?

Wow what a revolutionary plot - attacks on white house and the superhero saving the president.
This is what they came up with after 50 years of production and reshoots?
Considering the reception of their other recent projects and also considering how Secret Invasion ended, keeping it simple is probably the better idea here. Hopefully they will do the same with Blade.

At least Marvel still has the capacity to bounce back. Star Wars at this point will need a very long break and a full reboot (hopefully in a different era than the Skywalkers).

MayauMiao

Its look Netflix worthy. The CGI is sub par and hearing constantly about the reshoots, I bet the plot will be mediocre to bad.

Only positive thing I can say about the trailer that it didn't use rap songs.

Last edited:

Toons

MBaku literally worships a different God than the panther God.

It would make no sense for him to be black panther.

Gp1

Captain America vs The Brics. Even though that last jet at the end looks really close to a Super Hornet.

At least the premise looks very interesting.

Does The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is a "prequel" to this? It worth the time?

Pigenator

Considering the reception of their other recent projects and also considering how Secret Invasion ended, keeping it simple is probably the better idea here. Hopefully they will do the same with Blade.

At least Marvel still has the capacity to bounce back. Star Wars at this point will need a very long break and a full reboot (hopefully in a different era than the Skywalkers).
I mean sure, generic 'Muricah plots generally work but I don't trust neither the character or the actor to carry this film.
All hope rests on Ford and the red Hulk I guess.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Sam isn't trying to protect the president. The movie has 7-8 months before it premieres in theaters. The CGI isn't done. It will be by late January.

Everything I've seen about the movie sounds good... Though I'm apprehensive about Sabra secretly being Mossad while being a high level US government operative... We went through that already on NCIS.

I mean sure, generic 'Muricah plots generally work but I don't trust neither the character or the actor to carry this film.
All hope rests on Ford and the red Hulk I guess.
I know that people like to put most of the weight on the actors, but that weight should really be put on the shoulders of the writers. I have seen Mackie in good movies, great movies, and bad movies, and I can guarantee you that it wasn’t because of inconsistent acting.

Trilobit

I'm not really hooked on a normal human being Falcon in this role. I think Captain America should have the usual superpowers.

Hopefully we get Winter Soldier levels of quality.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Disney came out and said she won't be called Sabra. They're caving into their pro-Hamas employees.

I don't think it's "pro-Hamas" ... Some people erroneously think Sabra was named after the Sabra Massacre of Palestinians in the early 80s, though the character came out in the late 70s. Her history, until the Hulk comic, only portrayed Palestinians as terrorists and as sub-human. Kinda like the TV show "24" only had Muslims as terrorists and no home grown terrorists like Tim McVeigh or other non-muslim groups as terrorists... Even when it looked like they had Latinos as terrorists, it pivoted back to Muslims as terrorists.

Most student protests have been lead by Jewish students.

But we don't need to go into that. But just know the history of Sabra is more nuanced than "pro-Hamas employees won".

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm not really hooked on a normal human being Falcon in this role. I think Captain America should have the usual superpowers.

Hopefully we get Winter Soldier levels of quality.

I think we will (the quality part) ... But what makes Cap a great character is his compassion and moral compass... Not his abilities. Yeah, they help but he's called Marvel's true Superman because of his morals and fight for true justice and equality. It's what he and Sam have in common. Which is why sam is the only one he handed the shield to.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I think we will (the quality part) ... But what makes Cap a great character is his compassion and moral compass... Not his abilities. Yeah, they help but he's called Marvel's true Superman because of his morals and fight for true justice and equality. It's what he and Sam have in common. Which is why sam is the only one he handed the shield to.

It's his insane strength combined with his compassion and moral compass that makes Steve Rogers a hero. That's the whole point for me. He can be anything but chooses to be the good guy because it's the right thing to do. This is what makes him stand out, and why people accept him as a leader.

Sam just lacks the power. I dislike him being Captain America from the moment Steve handed him the shield.

[I also think Anthony Mackie is a cool guy but has like 5% of the on-screen presence of Chris Evans. It's hard to put into words. but whatever Chris Evans has, Mackie does not]

Last edited:

BlackTron

Disney came out and said she won't be called Sabra. They're caving into their pro-Hamas employees.

So this film represents the antithesis of Captain America.

Certainly subverting the expectations built up from the prior 3 films. Some film makers say that makes it good now.

Winter Soldier still is a legit great spy thriller and easily a top 3 best Marvel movies.
To this day, there's only like a couple Marvel movies I actually would want to watch more than 0 times ever

Iron Man
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Yeah, that's about it LOL the rest of the 49 movies suck

BlackTron

How does it represent the "antithesis of Captain America"?

In a movie about Captain America, a character made during the 1940s as a symbol of taking stand against the Nazis, whose recent films drive home themes of individual freedom and "even when the whole world says move, no, you move", changes the identity of a Jewish character as not to upset anyone.

Fucking lol Disney.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
In a movie about Captain America, a character made during the 1940s as a symbol of taking stand against the Nazis, whose recent films drive home themes of individual freedom and "even when the whole world says move, no, you move", changes the identity of a Jewish character as not to upset anyone.

Fucking lol Disney.

She's still Jewish, if not mistaken. She's just not Israeli. At least as far as her description is concerned. Is she less Jewish if she's not Israeli?

BlackTron

She's still Jewish, if not mistaken. She's just not Israeli. At least as far as her description is concerned. Is she less Jewish if she's not Israeli?

I didn't catch that. That's not nearly as bad, though still cowardly of Disney. TBH the main other post I caught riffing on it was this:

That would make her Russian then? Or at least a (former?) russian agent?

That'll throw everyone for a loop. What's worse/better, she's a jew or a russian spy? :p

This is a logical course of thought but even if all the Widow agents were Russian (I can't remember) it doesn't mean they need to be now. They can just make it the way they want like they always do 🤷‍♂️

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Gotta say that trailer was a lot more banger than I was expecting, definitely piqued my interest buds, only issue I have though is Falcon isn't a proper "supe" he's just a normal albeit top soldier dude... Human, who still has the limitations of an ordinary human yet these movies put him in situations waaaaaay outside what he should be capable off, his body shouldn't be taking the same sort of punishment and G's that Captain America/Thor/Ironman (he was inside a suit) etc are able to take and it just breaks immersion for me personally

Top Bottom