• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Brave New World | Official Teaser

just more
Sheet GIF

kunonabi

It's his insane strength combined with his compassion and moral compass that makes Steve Rogers a hero. That's the whole point for me. He can be anything but chooses to be the good guy because it's the right thing to do. This is what makes him stand out, and why people accept him as a leader.

Sam just lacks the power. I dislike him being Captain America from the moment Steve handed him the shield.

[I also think Anthony Mackie is a cool guy but has like 5% of the on-screen presence of Chris Evans. It's hard to put into words. but whatever Chris Evans has, Mackie does not]

I liked Mackie's Falcon but the problem is the movies only ever portrayed him as a follower. He just did whatever Steve wanted to do which is the exact opposite of what Captain America should be. Passing mantles is rarely done well and Captain Falcon didn't work in the comics and it felt extremely forced and random in the MCU, like most of Endgame, so I don't think it's going to fare much better for Mackie. Bucky would have made much more sense if they were dead set on passing it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I liked Mackie's Falcon but the problem is the movies only ever portrayed him as a follower. He just did whatever Steve wanted to do which is the exact opposite of what Captain America should be. Passing mantles is rarely done well and Captain Falcon didn't work in the comics and it felt extremely forced and random in the MCU, like most of Endgame, so I don't think it's going to fare much better for Mackie. Bucky would have made much more sense if they were dead set on passing it.

A former assassin who still had issues to work through and didn't share Steve's values ... No, it wouldn't have made sense. Sam showed he has more in common with Steve's morals than Bucky did. Since they first met.

jason10mm

Gold Member
A former assassin who still had issues to work through and didn't share Steve's values ... No, it wouldn't have made sense. Sam showed he has more in common with Steve's morals than Bucky did. Since they first met.
Agree that while Bucky has the right power set, he doesn't really have the background or personality for Capt A.

Of course, what is the nature of Captain America the title? The appointed/elected leader of the Avengers? Just the guy who carries that shield? A mask that can be filled by anyone because they are essentially playing a part? I'm sure the Falcon and WS show dealt with these issues, but hopefully the film will address WHY Sam needs/wants/has come to be called Captain America as if it were a military rank or title.

I'd be more ok with Falcon doing it (as a normal human with jet wings and a pet bird/drone) if they RADICALLY toned down the power levels. He's really more of a street level hero than one that should be dueling fighter planes in the sky if he is the lead, IMHO. Though I suppose if he has a suit then he's basically just Ironman at this point.

Doom85

Bucky taking the mantle in the MCU would have been pure nonsense. He’s got barely any connections to the Avengers cast compared to Sam so it would be random as hell for him to lead the team, he needs to focus on making amends as best he can with those he unwillingly hurt when he was the Winter Soldier, and the dude deserves a rest after he’s done with that given the psychological damage everything he’s endured up to this point. Honestly, Steve would have been an asshole to pass Bucky such a heavy level of responsibility when he’s already dealing with so much internally. He knew Sam was the right choice, and Bucky accepted it even despite not liking Sam much.

“passing mantles is rarely done well”

Barry Allen, Wally West, Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, Dick Grayson (as Batman), Tim Drake, Damien Wayne, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, Cassie Sandsmark, Ted Kord, Jaime Reyes, Ryan Choi, Courtney Whitmore, Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, Scott Lang, Kamala Khan, Shuri, Kate Bishop, James Rhodes, Flash Thompson, etc. all took on a mantle of a previous character in the comics and were generally widely accepted save for a few outsiders who got mad about a thing that has been going on since the 50’s (and they probably barely read comics anyway).

Doom85

Agree that while Bucky has the right power set, he doesn't really have the background or personality for Capt A.

Of course, what is the nature of Captain America the title? The appointed/elected leader of the Avengers? Just the guy who carries that shield? A mask that can be filled by anyone because they are essentially playing a part? I'm sure the Falcon and WS show dealt with these issues, but hopefully the film will address WHY Sam needs/wants/has come to be called Captain America as if it were a military rank or title.

I'd be more ok with Falcon doing it (as a normal human with jet wings and a pet bird/drone) if they RADICALLY toned down the power levels. He's really more of a street level hero than one that should be dueling fighter planes in the sky if he is the lead, IMHO. Though I suppose if he has a suit then he's basically just Ironman at this point.

In Falcon and the Winter Soldier:

An ally from Wakanda (one of Okoye’s soldiers) gifts Sam with an upgraded set of wings. I can’t recall, but I assume they have vibranium now so they would be able to slice open a jet plane.

jason10mm

Gold Member
“passing mantles is rarely done well”

Barry Allen, Wally West, Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, Dick Grayson (as Batman), Tim Drake, Damien Wayne, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, Cassie Sandsmark, Ted Kord, Jaime Reyes, Ryan Choi, Courtney Whitmore, Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, Scott Lang, Kamala Khan, Shuri, Kate Bishop, James Rhodes, Flash Thompson, etc. all took on a mantle of a previous character in the comics and were generally widely accepted save for a few outsiders who got mad about a thing that has been going on since the 50’s (and they probably barely read comics anyway).
Clark Kent
Bruce Wayne
Steve Rogers
Tony Stark
Bruce Banner
Thor
Peter Parker
Logan
"Professor" Charles Xavier

These names are ubiquitous and need no explanation to virtually ANYONE. Say what you want about replacing them in the comics, but in the broader culture is these names or nobody (without SIGNIFICANT groundwork).

I actually think DC has more leeway in putting sub characters into roles than marvel does, since they play the 'secret identity' game far more often, outside of the heavy hitters of course.

Doom85

Say what you want about replacing them in the comics, but in the broader culture is these names or nobody (without SIGNIFICANT groundwork).

Into the Spider-verse was a success despite zero setup of Miles beforehand (no, I’m not counting Aaron appearing in Homecoming as that isn’t even the same Aaron from Into the Spider-verse obviously, and he just mentions having a nephew but doesn’t actually name drop Miles IIRC).

Top Bottom