• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier remains the best damn MCU film

Madflavor

I always remember really loving CA:TWS when it released, and I ranked it top tier in my MCU ranking. But I haven't watched it in probably 8 or so years, and I'm amazed by how much it still holds up. In my opinion it's the most well made MCU film, and one of my favorite comic book movies. It just did so many things right. It leveled up Steve Rogers to an absolute fucking beast, and cemented him as one of the best heroes in the MCU next to Tony Stark. Chris Evans's performance and the writing of Captain America made you absolutely believe that this the man who said "No, you move." I just wanted to follow him to the gates of hell. Then the Winter Soldier was a compelling villain, with a great theme song. He was intimidating and effective. No quips, no witty dialogue while fighting the hero, he was just out to kill you. Scarlett Johansson looked her hottest in her run as Black Widow, and had insane chemistry with Chris. Sam Wilson was just an immediately likeable character, and a worthy addition to the MCU. I also loved the overall plot of the film. It had a Metal Gear feel to it. It's probably one of the most interesting and intriguing plots in the MCU, with Hydra infiltrating Shield and so much of the world governments. You didn't know who to trust. There was so many iconic moments in the film:

• "On your left"
  • The opening action sequence on the ship that finally showcased what Cap can do.
  • Scarlett Johansson pulling up in a sports car looking hotter than the sun.
  • Winter Soldier's introduction.
  • The Captain America museum.
  • The Elevator fight scene. "Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?"
  • Steve taking down a jet in half a minute.
  • Cap retrieving his old suit.
  • "Hail Hydra"
  • Cap's "price of freedom" speech.
  • The whole final action sequence, especially with Steve trying to bring back Bucky.

The action is just top notch and probably the best choreography we saw at the time. It also probably has one of the best original soundtracks. I just love this film.

209758.gif
batroc.gif

poodaddy

Gold Member
Very easily the best Cap movie, and perhaps the best MCU film in the whole bunch. Will probably be the only MCU movie that actually ages well too and is discussed by film critics and cinema scholars in fifty years, as it's more than just a by the numbers action fest; it's actually a legitimately well directed and well written government conspiracy story. Outstanding film.

My personal favorite is Spider-Man: Far From Home. I love the comedic writing, onscreen chemistry, action, and plot. Every other Spider-Man film in the MCU is trash to me.

P.S. I am surprised no one has mentioned Iron Man (2008) as it got the ball rolling in the first place.

Today we can look back and argue that out of the 84 movies they have made, there might be 5 or fewer MCU films that are actually objectively good movies that you would watch more than once ever and not then forget about immediately

Iron Man 1
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

uhhh....someone think of up to 2 more LOL

I wasn't looking forward to seeing it but that opening action scene was quite something.
I can't remember the end, must have been some CGI nonsense, but the first two acts were awesome.

lachesis

Gold Member
Thing about Captain movies, especially 2 and 3 - are very consequential towards rest of MCU movies, which elaborated the whole saga.
Fall of Shield as of an institution in Winter Soldier, and literally a break-up of Avengers for Civil War.

But if I had to choose - yes, Winter Soldier was the best one out of all MCU for me by miles ahead above anything else.

Lambogenie

Agreed for all the same reasons. There's a lot to like and thoroughly enjoy about it. It also feels like a perfect candidate to get someone to watch an MCU movie if they are new (IM1 probably being best by default) and just want light super hero details.

I still don't care for Scarlet Johanson though.

BlackTron

Great movie and the Cap trilogy is probably the best superhero trilogy in my opinion.

I agree with this, 2 being Winter Soldier and 3 being a massive Avengers crossover movie. Not that 1 was a slouch either, it was perfect for what it needed to do.

After those, Iron Man 1, Avengers and I guess 2 or so others that's pretty much MCU to me these days, the rest is all falling away from my brain.

Trilobit

Saying it's the best of the MCU films is not a high bar to beat, but I agree that it's a terrific movie and much better than Infinity War. I honestly don't know how they managed to make it so good when they've never reached that high before or after.

ShadowNate

It also made the SHIELD tv series be like 200% more interesting (mainly from the point that they integrated the events from the movie and their impact, and onward), and probably rescued it from cancellation. The series did have a strong second and third seasons.

GateofD

Neo Member
The Captain America trilogy imo remains the best thing the MCU has given out.
Also, Spider-man trilogy, but i'm biased in that a bit.

StueyDuck

I always remember really loving CA:TWS when it released, and I ranked it top tier in my MCU ranking. But I haven't watched it in probably 8 or so years, and I'm amazed by how much it still holds up. In my opinion it's the most well made MCU film, and one of my favorite comic book movies. It just did so many things right. It leveled up Steve Rogers to an absolute fucking beast, and cemented him as one of the best heroes in the MCU next to Tony Stark. Chris Evans's performance and the writing of Captain America made you absolutely believe that this the man who said "No, you move." I just wanted to follow him to the gates of hell. Then the Winter Soldier was a compelling villain, with a great theme song. He was intimidating and effective. No quips, no witty dialogue while fighting the hero, he was just out to kill you. Scarlett Johansson looked her hottest in her run as Black Widow, and had insane chemistry with Chris. Sam Wilson was just an immediately likeable character, and a worthy addition to the MCU. I also loved the overall plot of the film. It had a Metal Gear feel to it. It's probably one of the most interesting and intriguing plots in the MCU, with Hydra infiltrating Shield and so much of the world governments. You didn't know who to trust. There was so many iconic moments in the film:

• "On your left"
  • The opening action sequence on the ship that finally showcased what Cap can do.
  • Scarlett Johansson pulling up in a sports car looking hotter than the sun.
  • Winter Soldier's introduction.
  • The Captain America museum.
  • The Elevator fight scene. "Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?"
  • Steve taking down a jet in half a minute.
  • Cap retrieving his old suit.
  • "Hail Hydra"
  • Cap's "price of freedom" speech.
  • The whole final action sequence, especially with Steve trying to bring back Bucky.

The action is just top notch and probably the best choreography we saw at the time. It also probably has one of the best original soundtracks. I just love this film.

209758.gif
batroc.gif

I think the best marvel film and trilogy is Guardians.

But in terms of MCU. Winter soldier is easily the best and what the mcu should have been more like, mystery, intrigue etc.

(Yes I know they are both MCU, I think guardians is better If you remove it from the mcu)

This multiverse stuff sucks and the space stuff is shit too.

They should have put Gunn in charge of space marvel and the Russos in charge of earth marvel and they shouldn't of crossed so quickly

Last edited:

wondermega

I think the best marvel film and trilogy is Guardians.

But in terms of MCU. Winter soldier is easily the best and what the mcu should have been more like, mystery, intrigue etc.

(Yes I know they are both MCU, I think guardians is better If you remove it from the mcu)

This multiverse stuff sucks and the space stuff is shit too.

They should have put Gunn in charge of space marvel and the Russos in charge of earth marvel and they shouldn't of crossed so quickly
They had put Gunn officially in charge of all things space Marvel, I believe, shortly before they fired him for his 10+ year old tweets. Then he came back for Guardians 3 but then split to head up DCU as we all know..

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My personal favorite is Spider-Man: Far From Home. I love the comedic writing, onscreen chemistry, action, and plot. Every other Spider-Man film in the MCU is trash to me.

P.S. I am surprised no one has mentioned Iron Man (2008) as it got the ball rolling in the first place.

It's fascinating to know that Sam Jackson wasn't even at the location in that scene, it was composited from him being in Atlanta while the rest of the cast was in Europe. He and Tom Holland are in different continents when shooting this.

CTyA5Wp.png

Last edited:

ZehDon

Iron Man is probably still my favourite MCU film. As a straight up stand-alone movie, it's absolutely rock solid.

Infinity War is probably my favourite Avenger's film, so it comes in a close second. Terrific spectacle, but it doesn't stand on its own.

And then, yeah, Winter Solider or Civil War lands in third place. They change positions depending on the day of the week for me.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I saw this a few days after opening night. That opening action sequence on the boat legit persuaded me to hit the gym more. Watching Chris Evans in action, and seeing the look on my soon to be wife's face while watching him do his thing, convinced me that I was not in the shape I needed to be in.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I saw this a few days after opening night. That opening action sequence on the boat legit persuaded me to hit the gym more. Watching Chris Evans in action, and seeing the look on my soon to be wife's face while watching him do his thing, convinced me that I was not in the shape I needed to be in.

Captain America Movie GIF by Knives Out

killatopak

Gold Member
It's hard to deny but my personal belief is that to be considered the best, it should be able to stand on its own.

Iron Man 1 is my choice. Civil War requires me to watch previous movies to fully understand everyone's motives and context.

Edit: I changed my mind. If we're talking about Marvel and not specifically MCU then Tobey's Spidey is it for me.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

They had put Gunn officially in charge of all things space Marvel, I believe, shortly before they fired him for his 10+ year old tweets. Then he came back for Guardians 3 but then split to head up DCU as we all know..
and you can see in guardians 3 he was working around all the mess taika and others had created.

while guardians 3 is still a good movie, you could feel he wanted to bounce from the franchise, thank goodness he still cared to properly end it. Unlike the awful mess that was thor love n thunder

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I kind of agree, Winter Soldier is fantastic and infinitely rewatchable. I still say Iron Man 1 is slightly better, but it's hard to beat the OG that started it all.

Iron Man from 2008... It operates like a horror film, the threat from the terrorists is real, Tony crawling around in the cave, the internal corporate problems with Stark industries, the door open for "Iron Man" becoming like skynet and the Terminator is hinted at.

200.gif

Top Bottom