• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CastAway (Zelda Links Away clone)

MathUser

A Zelda Links Awakening like game is being released for switch. Some of the graphics are very LA inspired. I guess it has a bigger focus on puzzles than LA.

ADwsONR.jpeg

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Focused on puzzles maybe probably because the game is on the short side. It looks charming nonetheless !

BlackTron

It actually looks fun but reviews on Steam say you can finish it in like a half hour. I think I'll play it eventually but not for $8.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
$8 bucks here in the US. Seems more than worthy of that price imo.

Thanks for the post M MathUser
P U R C H A S E D
(also on Steam)

*UPDATE* Reading the steam reviews there are apparently on 3 levels or maps (some of the reviews are difficult to parse)...so that asking price may be a bit steep if you are looking for more than 2 hours or so of gameplay.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

$8 bucks here in the US. Seems more than worthy of that price imo.

Thanks for the post M MathUser
P U R C H A S E D
(also on Steam)

*UPDATE* Reading the steam reviews there are apparently on 3 levels or maps (some of the reviews are difficult to parse)...so that asking price may be a bit steep if you are looking for more than 2 hours or so of gameplay.
Yeah I saw this too and finally didn't get it. 8€ for 2 hours is not what I expected... I thought it was a full game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I took the plunge and yeah... very much just... ok.

It took me about 30 minutes to finish the game and watch the credits roll. There are three zones (each with a hidden "heart container"), three items (sword, hookshot, and pickaxe), three dungeons with three bosses. The overworld map is like 5x5 screens. This game is pretty dang tiny.

The pixel art is really nice, and mechanically the game works as you'd expect. Took a bit to get used to the sword swing / attack because it's hitbox is a bit off compared with Zelda. Music and sound effects were... okay but not great. Some of the puzzles are decent, and they did do well with the whole "you can't go this way until you get the item you need to proceed" thing.

After you beat the game, it unlocks a sort of "gauntlet" mode, where you're trying to get as far as possible in a tower of seemingly randomly generated rooms. Killing enemies gives you gold (which works like EXP), and when you collect enough gold you level up and choose a power up (heath refill, heart container, armor upgrade, etc.) which is kind of neat. However, this would have worked a lot better as a roguelike - sadly dying just gives you a "high score" based on how many rooms you cleared, and you get to start over from the beginning with no upgrades and try to beat your high score. I tried it once but didn't really see the appeal in trying it over and over again.

Not really worth the $8 asking price - if it were $5 or less, my opinion of this game would have been a bit more forgiving.

Top Bottom