• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Illusion HD starring Mickey Mouse |OT| Once upon a mouse

Yuterald

Yo, I swear this team had to have played/liked Klonoa. I know it's a remake of a classic Disney game, but damn, gettin' those vibes hardcore sometimes.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Played the demo, graphics could have been better but not my cupa tea eitherway
But that music, obviously didn't recognize it at first as its been reworked but damn did that bring back memories.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Why do I have to watch that fucking cut scene every time I restart the final boss fight? Why can't I skip it? Fix this shit, Guerilla!

Edit: Finally beat her. Got all playing cards. Now I just need to find all chili peppers and castle pieces. Can't be arsed to find all gems.

RPGCrazied

I can't deiced between this or a Tale of Two Brothers. But after playing DuckTales, I kinda want an old school platformer again, can't really remember the original. Whats the better pick?

Lijik

I can't deiced between this or a Tale of Two Brothers. But after playing DuckTales, I kinda want an old school platformer again, can't really remember the original. Whats the better pick?

I had a better time with this than Ducktales, but I liked both.
EDIT- Oh wait between this and Brothers? Im not sure, I havent gotten too far in Brothers

All I have read from gamers about this on here, other forums and Twitter is positive and yet the reviews are average. I don't remember the original, will try the demo :)

Tizoc

PC-wise I'd say go with Brothers, as PC ver. is currently locked at 30 FPS, though some have managed to make it run fine despite this shortcoming.
FYI that Greenmangaming has a new 20% discount code which should work with both games.

Otherwise, if you're getting them on PS3 or 360...I'ma go with both XP

amrod

So I finally figured out how to get it running awesome on PC

Lower res to 720p (1920x720)
Disable Post Processing

runs as smooth as 360 version now

RPGCrazied

Went ahead an bought it. Really charming game, but, either my PS3 is dying or this game has some framerate issues. Oh well, still like it.

Yuterald

I finished this game 100% earlier this morning and quite liked it. It was just a really easy, chill, fun platformer. Apparently, the studio close or some shit? Such a shame. I think they did a really nice job with this game.

Man that last boss is keeping me from my all clear achivement : (

I can just about coast up to Mizrable's last star, but then she does a sweep and shoot combo that does me in...

The other parts of the soundtrack are growing on me, "The Storm" at first bummed me because it didn't sound the same at all, but I'm starting to hear the notes of the original in there. It's also been fun to go back to levels and try to up my score or get the goodies I hadn't nabbed yet.

I kind of love that it seems really clear the team obviously had a lot of love for the original themselves, and tried to give it the props it deserved, while updating the level design to meet modern standards. It's an absolute crying same Sega let this team go because I would of loved to see them tackle World of Illusion and Quackshot (but it's nice that tributes to both are there : ) )

I'll likely still go back to the MD original, but I could see myself booting this HD version up for the heck of it, great idea making all levels accessible via a hub

zroid

Banned
man, I just got done watching the quick look -- what is the DEALIO with that jump input lag? Seemed crazily bad.

anyway... i guess the genesis game isn't up for sale? hope it gets put up at some point, I would love to play it. Don't think I ever have before. I was a Magical Quest kid.

man, I just got done watching the quick look -- what is the DEALIO with that jump input lag? Seemed crazily bad.

anyway... i guess the genesis game isn't up for sale? hope it gets put up at some point, I would love to play it. Don't think I ever have before. I was a Magical Quest kid.

I got all the trophies and I never noticed any egregious input lag. Maybe the 360 version is fucked?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And just to assuage any doubts, it does indeed work:

coi2013-09-0820-05-52jusqa.jpg

Note that since it's a replacement executable, it will be overwritten if you verify the game's cache or Sega releases an update, so be sure to keep the file on hand (though in the case of the latter, it may also no longer work, but one would hope that any patch Sega does release will include a 60fps fix).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm guessing consoles isn't getting the patch? Does the 360 version have framerate issues too?

It's not an official patch, but even assuming Sega is prepping one that lifts the cap to 60fps, I wouldn't expect it to hit consoles -- if Sega were eyeing 60fps for the PS360 versions, then surely they would have launched at 60fps.

Enk

makes good threads.
This game is so much more playable now with the 60 FPS patch. I actually feel like I can control my jumps now!

Suzzopher

The original is one of my favourite games on Mega Drive and I am enjoying the remake. Didn't think I would but I have found it to be rather lovely.

I have never once experienced input lag while playing this game.

Don't judge games by videos. You wouldn't judge a movie by its audio, and you wouldn't judge a song just by reading its lyrics.

Games are a visual, aural, and tactile medium. Only when you have experienced all three (i.e. actually play it) can you be a judge to whether it is good or not.

MaLDo

60 fps unofficial patch? Buying NOW!!!

I love PC a bit more every day.

Please EA don't fuck Rivals framerate.

Lijik

Excellent! Cant wait to try the patch. I had no input lag playing at a rock solid 31 frames per second, but I prefer my games at 60.

I have never once experienced input lag while playing this game.

Don't judge games by videos. You wouldn't judge a movie by its audio, and you wouldn't judge a song just by reading its lyrics.

Games are a visual, aural, and tactile medium. Only when you have experienced all three (i.e. actually play it) can you be a judge to whether it is good or not.

This is bogus to me. I didnt experience input lag, but when theres video evidence of people who did (and that input lag being noticeably bad) I dont think its fair to say "Play it and judge it then!" because playing it requires purchasing it (at least on the pc), and at that point you're asking people to take a gamble on something with a known issue.

ViviOggi

And just to assuage any doubts, it does indeed work:

Hell yes, so glad that I haven't finished it before.

Note that since it's a replacement executable, it will be overwritten if you verify the game's cache or Sega releases an update, so be sure to keep the file on hand (though in the case of the latter, it may also no longer work, but one would hope that any patch Sega does release will include a 60fps fix).

Heh

zainetor

Banned
my god input lag is so bad for me at 30.
Idownloaded the patch but it didnt work, maybe because i changed graphics settings before I started to play.

Excellent! Cant wait to try the patch. I had no input lag playing at a rock solid 31 frames per second, but I prefer my games at 60.

This is bogus to me. I didnt experience input lag, but when theres video evidence of people who did (and that input lag being noticeably bad) I dont think its fair to say "Play it and judge it then!" because playing it requires purchasing it (at least on the pc), and at that point you're asking people to take a gamble on something with a known issue.

This is why I like demos, it lets me play with the controls. I still believe that watching a video of someone play a game cannot give me the full picture, so to speak. I miss rental stores so much, I could try before I buy :(

cmerrifield

Neo Member
So I finally figured out how to get it running awesome on PC

Lower res to 720p (1920x720)
Disable Post Processing

runs as smooth as 360 version now

Whats the easiest way to get this set up since I can't see the game due to the HDMI to TV issue?

eXistor

That patch fixed it for me, only I still can't play in 1080p, that results in the horrible input-lag and (what feels like) 15fps. In 720p it's 60fps with post-processing on.

It's quite the gem btw. The level-design is very good, lots of great little secret areas. I love how every boss is foreshadowed in every level too. Better than the Ducktales remake imo, which I also enjoyed a lot.

SegaShack

Love this game, just beat it yesterday, I have all the peppers, cards, and statue pieces, have most of the gems. I hope someone releases a guide of gem locations cause I go through the same levels over and over again to try and find the last few and leave empty handed.

I have the 360 version and it ran incredibly smoothly, no input delay to speak of, framerate seemed fine.

zainetor

Banned
ok, now that is fixed it's perfect.
My god it's like night and day. I could barely play before, with the input lag and the low frames.

I don't understand everyone saying the game was unplayable before. I didn't get any input lag personally, or if I did it was miniscule enough to be unremarkable, but that may just have been me.

However, 30fps is not a reason to pass on a game as great as this. Obviously it's better for having it, but it was perfectly playable without, too.

Peff

That patch fixed it for me, only I still can't play in 1080p, that results in the horrible input-lag and (what feels like) 15fps. In 720p it's 60fps with post-processing on.

It's quite the gem btw. The level-design is very good, lots of great little secret areas. I love how every boss is foreshadowed in every level too. Better than the Ducktales remake imo, which I also enjoyed a lot.

Try windowed with this. I've only bought it after the modified exe hit but so far it plays better at windowed 1080p than the upscaled 720p when playing full-screen.

And yeah, it's interesting to see how both remakes were approached. CoI feels more like what the game would have been had it been released nowadays, whereas Ducktales is more like what more powerful consoles might have been back then. I'm still early in Castle, but I like what I'm seeing. That said, even with the 60fps fix the jump could stand to be a bit tighter.

I played Mickey Mania when I was a youngin and liked that a lot. I think I remember hearing about this a while ago. I'll have to play it whenever I can.

Tagg9

Wow, the game is incredible. Forgot how much I missed old school platformers. Enjoying this much more than DuckTales.

Subaru

The last round got me like 3 times before I finally won. I preferred this final boss to DuckTales' but they were both fun.

Yes i'ts hard, and it's strange because the rest of the game is too easy.
I didn't like some songs (like stage 3) =(

Top Bottom