• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Illusion HD starring Mickey Mouse |OT| Once upon a mouse

Lijik

Is it a hard concept for you to understand that maybe people have varying degrees of skill in video games?
The game is so generous with giving you lives and checkpoints, is so lenient with its health system (youre given a lot of hp, and falling into a pit takes away a 1 hp not taking away a life), and the game even lets you tackle the harder optional sections an infinite number of times with no penalty. Im not sure where that one reviewer would suggest to place in even more checkpoints. After every gap i guess?

Theres certainly tricky sections, but i wouldnt call it a particularly hard game at all.

GrayFoxPL

DA FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK????

8GneicW.gif

From what is this?

SegaShack

I got this last night on the 360, I am only familiar with the Master System version of the game (as that is the copy of it I have owned for 4 years now), but have seen some videos of the Genesis/MD version. I have to say that this game is fantastic in almost every sense, really tight controls and physics, some challenge (mainly collecting the diamonds), great music, great visuals, and amazing level design. The levels are short and sweet and feel like they are perfected in almost every aspect. I only beat the first 3 levels of the game but am having a blast so far.

I wasn't sure when I saw the game on video, but the sections where the game goes 3D and changes things up are also fantastic and are a nice change of pace. I loved this game and loved Ducktales Remastered as well. I really enjoy both games but have to say that Castle of Illusion remake surpasses the Ducktales remake for me. Castle of Illusion manages to change up the gameplay itself and still have a perfect flow, while DT HD changes up the routes you have to explore and the flow of the original is compromised.

This game has a lot of imagination to it and even though it might look generic from the trailers, it is actually very creative, fantastic, and well done.

SkylineRKR

I'm taking my time, just beat chapter 2. Level design is insanely well done, such as the upside down stuff and the pitfall part.

This game is every bit as good as the original was, while not being a carbon copy of it. The studio pulled it off and its sad that they're gone because they also pitched Golden Axe and SoR to be remade like this.

cmerrifield

Neo Member
With the workaround discussed above you should get the exact same 30 fps experience like on PS360 in 1080p and with much better IQ.
There's some other workarounds here and here, the borderless windows trick should fix the game spazzing out on displays connected via HDMI, but I haven't tested it myself yet.

Installed Afterburner and locked frame rate to 30 but I still can't get the game to show up. Playing on PC and as soon as I launch I get the "Mode not supported" on my TV. Yes, I'm playing PC to Tv via HDMI. Can anyone explain how to fix this?

sn00zer

Judging by screens and video, this game looks gorgeous and looks like a lot of love went into it...and now i hear the dev team is DOA...what the hell?

didamangi

Installed Afterburner and locked frame rate to 30 but I still can't get the game to show up. Playing on PC and as soon as I launch I get the "Mode not supported" on my TV. Yes, I'm playing PC to Tv via HDMI. Can anyone explain how to fix this?

Try changing the options to windowed mode via registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SSA\COI

Double click the FullScreen and change the value from 1 to 0.

If it works then using this application you can run the game on borderless window. I think there's a bug with fullscreen 1080p.

Xanathus

I love Brad and all, but this Quicklook was kinda painful

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-quick-look-disney-castle-of-illusion-st/2300-7905/

Now I'm starting to understand where some people's "difficulty" complaints are coming from ;p

Yeah I just started watching and as soon as he starts encountering something he has trouble with, he immediately starts blaming the game for control latency and all sorts of bullshit. Brad *always* does this whenever he has trouble with the game and never considers that it's himself that is the problem.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm surprised at how difficult a time people are having with the game. Even stuck at 30 fps, I was able to blast through most of it in one sitting without ever really running into anything difficult. It's a nice challenge, actually, in the sense that it demands some precision but isn't too punishing.

Vidpixel

Jeez, I remember playing this game on the Genesis when I was like 5 years old. Sure does bring back memories, but the $15 price tag seems a little steep.

I don't like this game. I hate the fact that the game is locked at 30 fps and the controls are terrible compared to the other platformers (Sonic Generations, NSMBU, Rayman Legends) I played in the last few weeks.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I heard control issues are coming from a terrible framelimiter, so it isn't actually 30fps or consistent. Some are saying that they did some wizardry to disable something in the game and use D3DO to framelimit to actual 30 and it makes the motion better and syncs the controls up correctly. The 1080p setting also apparently just upscales a 720p image and you have to registry hack and use an outside program to get it working right.

Terrible fuckup of a port.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I heard control issues are coming from a terrible framelimiter, so it isn't actually 30fps or consistent. Some are saying that they did some wizardry to disable something in the game and use D3DO to framelimit to actual 30 and it makes the motion better and syncs the controls up correctly. The 1080p setting also apparently just upscales a 720p image and you have to registry hack and use an outside program to get it working right.

Terrible fuckup of a port.

Sadly, I'm not overly surprised. I was keeping an eye on the game in the registry, hoping to see the MegaDrive original (or something that would imply it, at least) added to the subs the game is part of, and I couldn't help but notice that, prior to the store page finally going up, the app itself hadn't been updated for two months, so I was worried that the port would prove to be the product of a quick and dirty job.

NeoGaffer

Neo Member
The game is so generous with giving you lives and checkpoints, is so lenient with its health system (youre given a lot of hp, and falling into a pit takes away a 1 hp not taking away a life), and the game even lets you tackle the harder optional sections an infinite number of times with no penalty. Im not sure where that one reviewer would suggest to place in even more checkpoints. After every gap i guess?

Theres certainly tricky sections, but i wouldnt call it a particularly hard game at all.

As I said - ''I need to play more to have a better judgment of the game''.
Also, it wasn't a review of mine, it was first impressions of the game from the little I've played of it.

The game's average score is 78.33% by gamerankings:
http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/710884-disney-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse/index.html

Bigger names like gamespot and IGN gave it 7.0 and 6.7 respectively. IGN slated the game for having slippery controls.

I'm looking forward to my second playthrough.

RpgN

Ok after beating this game I can safely say that anyone that thinks this game is hard sucks at videogames. I can count the amount of times I died in the entire game on one hand. I'm not joking. I didn't even lose a single life until I reached the castle stage. Only lost 2 or 3 lives in act 1. Lost 1 life on act 2. Lost 1 life on the final boss. The game is easy.

Oh and for the guy complaining about checkpoints, lol. I was nice before and gave you the benefit of the doubt that maybe the game got hard later on and the checkpoints became unforgiving. Nope. Granted I died so few times that checkpoints rarely mattered, but still. When I died in Castle act 1 I didn't have to repeat large sections. It appears you had to beat the entire castle act 2 in one go, but that level was short enough and really wasn't that hard so I'd say it didn't need a checkpoint.

But now on to my thoughts on the game in general. It's very good. It's fun all the way through and perfectly balances familiarity with new ideas. I was constantly impressed with how the game came up with new twists. It's certainly not a by the numbers remake. The game is very short just like the original but unlike the original there's very little challenge here. That's a bit disappointing but nevertheless the game is very fun, looks great, sounds great, has perfect controls, tickles the nostalgia bone and has good level design with plenty of creativity. The 3D sections were done pretty well and the transition between 2D and 3D was always seamless. This is a game just about anyone can enjoy but obviously fans of the original will get the most out of it. Short and easy but oh so sweet. Money well spent.

He did not mean the game was hard, but that the controls need getting used to because he feels like he's dying/making clumsy mistakes more than he should in comparison to the platformers he played. There's a difference between finding a game difficult and getting used to the controls. Something that I can definitely understand. The game does have floaty controls and the animation time not being instant (imo). It remains to be seen wether it's different kind of controls that you master the more you play of it or wether it's just not perfect in that regard. There's no need to be so harsh about it.

I've done up to the second door Act 1. The game really has nice presentation and lovely old school style to it. I'm enjoying it a lot but it doesn't seem flawless. Mainly the controls and the framerate. The controls are not terrible, just a bit different. And the framerate, I'm not sure if it is the framerate or the engine. The game seems to slow down or freeze quickly in random moments.

eXistor

I wish I read this thread before buying the Steam version. The input lag kills the controls and the framerate is unforgivably low. I'll play it when it's fixed.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Got to the final boss last night. The game isn't particularly hard, although some parts are mildly challenging. The biggest flaw is really that the controls aren't quite as tight as I wish they were, and occasionally the enemies have a tendency to blend too much into the background. Still, it's a very good remake. Too bad Sega AU got shut down, I would've wanted a remake like this of Donald Duck in The Lucky Dime Caper.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I wish I read this thread before buying the Steam version. The input lag kills the controls and the framerate is unforgivably low. I'll play it when it's fixed.
Sega AU was shut down. I doubt it will be fixed. For all we know the game was codes in such a way that a higher framerate might break it. :-/

derExperte

If you play it in window mode the lag gets reduced. Then use http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=30525996.

Sega AU was shut down. I doubt it will be fixed. For all we know the game was codes in such a way that a higher framerate might break it. :-/

Wouldn't surprise me, it's a mess all around. I mean for example it ignores what language I choose via Steam, it checks Windows. So now I have to fiddle around with that if I don't want subtitles and menus in German. Worst port job this year so far, they didn't care at all. Should have bought Brothers instead.

ViviOggi

Check out the workarounds posted here, you can get rid of the input lag and the fps up to a steady 30 within a few minutes, plus much better IQ than on consoles. Doesn't excuse the outrageously shoddy port but like dark10x said it's unlikely to get fixed with an official patch, and since you've already purchased it...

Darvan

Damn I bought this a day before the pre-order sale was over and i still haven't gotten my pre-order bonuses. Has anyone else had an issue with this?

halfbeast

Banned
Damn I bought this a day before the pre-order sale was over and i still haven't gotten my pre-order bonuses. Has anyone else had an issue with this?

us or eu psn? have you checked your download list? I don't think you'll get an email telling you to download the stuff.

Darvan

Sorry I didn't say (US) I looked on the store download list on my PC that's how I bought it and set it up to download when the PS3 booted for it's nightly plus update but I haven't checked on the PS3. All that was there was the demo and unlock key download.

Lijik

As I said - ''I need to play more to have a better judgment of the game''.
Also, it wasn't a review of mine, it was first impressions of the game from the little I've played of it.

Sorry didnt know it was impressions. Enough posts in this thread and the review thread cited a review complaining about checkpoints I guess my brain just filed it away as fact

EDIT- also i seem to have lucked out with the input lag not being that bad for me. It was total garbage when Jeff was testing it out in the GB QL. Definitely get the control complaints some reviews had now

halfbeast

Banned
Sorry I didn't say (US) I looked on the store download list on my PC that's how I bought it and set it up to download when the PS3 booted for it's nightly plus update but I haven't checked on the PS3. All that was there was the demo and unlock key download.

well, you get a confirmation email when you purchase something. just use this as a reference and contact sony, you didn't get the pre-order bonus like you should have. that's all I can suggest. :/

Tizoc

Anyone know if someone is working or looking into seeing if the PC version's frame rate can be made to be 60 FPS?

WingM@n

I am playing this on ps3, and I love it !
The original game on the genesis is one of my favourite games ever, and this remake was made with love...

Eusis

I know that this is a reply to someone who got banned, but...
Is it a hard concept for you to understand that maybe people have varying degrees of skill in video games?
... While I normally agree (and it's not completely inapplicable in this situation honestly) it really does baffle me. How is this significantly harder than any platform that isn't a pushover? There's some tricky spots, but I think I had more trouble in New SMB U than this and I don't recall reviews trashing that for difficulty. It's just really odd how they call it very hard and that it's from 1990 design when at worst some of the bosses can take awhile for the amount of life you have.

This game really is worth a play, even with the sticky controls and bad framerate. It's gorgeous and has beautiful level design. The Grant Kirkhope soundtrack is PHENOMENAL. I want an OST.

Top Bottom