• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania |OT| A miserable little pile of episodes - Netflix 7/7

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They should have the Bishop become corrupted by the demon and take on the role of Shaft and lead the Dracula cult.

Mathieran

Banned
they need to easter egg that in at least one scene a wall within the castle has to be destroyed and just hidden in the explosion is a roasted chicken

Yes! And a scene where Trevor starts whipping candles to upgrade his whip or something. And maybe a scene with flying medusa heads and someone comments how fucking annoying they are, then get knocked off a platform.

pbayne

Finished. Sucks that it ended where it did because it was just starting to pick up some momentum.

Overall i wasn't that bowled over by it. I think the first episode is real bad, hamstrung by terrible voice acting(that does get better tho). A lot of the dialogue is super clunky with the exposition, that bar fight were the dude is explaining the whole Belmont family history was hilarious. Probably the best parts were the action, which was fairly spectacular. I had a soft for Trevor as well, especially since that dude from bbcs robin hood voiced him.

Ill probably give the next season a try and hope this one was just suffering from some teething issues.

This was really good, way better than what I expected it would be. As others have said though, this season was way too short, it could've been a 90 min. pilot movie. This season should've ended with Trevor and company reaching Dracula's castle.

I'm actually glad it doesn't. I hope they don't reach it for most of season 2 either. There's basically a whole country under siege and a ton of stories they can tell besides just the ones in Dracula's castle.

Yes! And a scene where Trevor starts whipping candles to upgrade his whip or something. And maybe a scene with flying medusa heads and someone comments how fucking annoying they are, then get knocked off a platform.

And then when he kills a boss we see an overlay counting down his remain hearts to add to the score and he gets a high score and says, "Hell yeah a new record"

Thought on the characters. Spoilering it all just in case.

Dracula was actually... rather fair. True, he had been doing bad shit at some point but unless he's being sarcastic to Lisa, at this point he's just hanging around in his castle. And then he finds a kindred spirit, and gets to actually appreciate humanity after what I'm assuming is the Lament of Innocence origin. And then they kill her off, which he finds out when he's randomly returning to her cottage. And he still has the decency to not kill the woman who tells him, and gives the horrible people one year to basically run for their lives. And they basically ignore him and go about the business and, as stated, celebrate the killing of the witch.

Lisa was cool, the little we saw of her. No nonsense, kind of a very shortened Beauty and the Beast story. "Hey, you can be decent person, now let me have all that geeky stuff."

Trevor started out messy but it turned out it was all just being drunk. He was quite great after that. I liked the backstory of how the Belmonts had fought evil over the years but had eventually been banished by the church.

Sypha was cool. She got to show off a bunch of her powers. Not so sure about the accent when everyone else is basically just speaking English.

Alucard... I was a bit afraid that they'd go with the shirtless design, but again, it was simply because he literally just woke up. Loved the Alucard Sword. It also doesn't contradict the old lore in anyway, he could very well be 20 here and 320 in Symphony. Just one question: did Dracula have a secret holiday getaway under the city? I kind of doubt that Alucard brought all that tech with him.

The Bishop was delightfully evil and I think there are more plans for him. Dracula wouldn't send a random underling to bite the head off the person directly responsible for killing Lisa.

While I'm missing the classic music, I also kind of like that it didn't go TOO far with the fan service. There were Dracula crying bloody years, a variation on the "the only thing necessary for evil to triumph" speech and some other small things, but not going into "hint hint, nudge nudge" territory.

Oh, and Thorin and Dwalin were both great. I liked the voices, except possibly Sypha.

HStallion

Dracula's the villain, but he's super justified in this. Dipshit bishop had to go off and kill his wife.

That's been the go to story for a while now in the games though I don't know if it was like that from the beginning of the series, its been a while since I played the originals which were pretty light on story altogether.

PSqueak

Banned
Dracula's the villain, but he's super justified in this. Dipshit bishop had to go off and kill his wife.

To be fair, his wife's dying words were begging for him to not go on a revenge rampage (not that he'd have heard them tho), and Alucard is right, Lisa wouldn't have wanted what Dracula is doing.

Still, hard not to feel for Dracula.

Social

I like me some Castlevania games, checked out this show and it instantly hooked me in. Really dark and gritty, I liked that a lot. Some voices were a bit "eh" and some memorable music would have been great but it sets the right tone without it as well I think.

Dysun

Enjoyed what I saw and wish there was more to dive into. Will definitely look forward to season 2.

Only dislike aside from the occasional odd animation was Sypha's accent.

That's been the go to story for a while now in the games though I don't know if it was like that from the beginning of the series, its been a while since I played the originals which were pretty light on story altogether.

Except for being broadly based off the classical Dracula novel (which in turn was based on the historical Vlad the Impaler, a fun guy), the early games didn't have much of a backstory or even dialogue for Dracula. Symphony of the Night introduced that with the flashbacks to Lisa's fate. They then told the origins of Dracula in Lament of Innocence.

Then Konami threw IGA under a bus and retold the origins of Dracula in Lords of Shadow, while at the same time screwing up the entire Belmont thing. Until they figured out that they wanted a sequel and went "oh wait, he had a secret kid, the story goes on".

Edit: Actually, I think they didn't even consider Bram Stoker to begin with, it started out basically being Universal Villains: The Game. I'm thinking Bela Lugosi was more relevant. They didn't start tying the novel into it until the Genesis/Mega Drive game.

HStallion

Except for being broadly based off the classical Dracula novel (which in turn was based on the historical Vlad the Impaler, a fun guy), the early games didn't have much of a backstory or even dialogue for Dracula. Symphony of the Night introduced that with the flashbacks to Lisa's fate. They then told the origins of Dracula in Lament of Innocence.

Then Konami threw IGA under a bus and retold the origins of Dracula in Lords of Shadow, while at the same time screwing up the entire Belmont thing. Until they figured out that they wanted a sequel and went "oh wait, he had a secret kid, the story goes on".

Edit: Actually, I think they didn't even consider Bram Stoker to begin with, it started out basically being Universal Villains: The Game. I'm thinking Bela Lugosi was more relevant. They didn't start tying the novel into it until the Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Yeah it'd be interesting to see what happens if the series continued on to actually get to the point we see Symphony of the Night where Lisa was much more relevant to the plot and of course Alucard was tearing shit up instead of the Belmont's.

Seik

Banned
Just finished it.

I loved it, LOVED IT, but holy shit 4 episodes...I felt as if it just started picking up and being really good.

Can't wait for season 2, I'll be there.
Trevor trying a knee on Alucard's crotch is the highlight of the season.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm on #teamDracula.

Like he said, the people were just as guilty as the church people that tied up and burned Lisa. The people knew it was wrong, by evidence of the old woman saying it wasn't right what they were doing and not wanting to be there.

Dude was just chilling in his castle, not bothering anyone. There was once a philosopher that said "don't start nothin', won't be nothin'."

caliph95

I'm on #teamDracula.

Like he said, the people were just as guilty as the church people that tied up and burned Lisa. The people knew it was wrong, by evidence of the old woman saying it wasn't right what they were doing and not wanting to be there.

Dude was just chilling in his castle, not bothering anyone. There was once a philosopher that said "don't start nothin', won't be nothin'.
I mean he killed people besides the town

Astral Dog

I'm on #teamDracula.

Dude was just chilling in his castle, not bothering anyone. There was once a philosopher that said "don't start nothin', won't be nothin'.
Except by, you know impalling countless people as Lisa noticed

kc44135

Just wanted to stop in and say this show is awesome. I was pretty impressed with it, and it honestly might be the best video game adaption I've seen. I mean, the bar is really there, so that ain't saying much, but still. Anyway, the acting writing was great, the plot was surprisingly solid and there's room to improve with the action scenes and especially the animation, but what was there was decent enough. Can't wait for Season 2!

StoneFox

My friend would not stop complaining about
Alucard wearing his SotN's outfit, saying that it wasn't accurate to the time period.

But it's cool tho. xP

I kinda wish they would have held off on this initial release so the second batch of episodes weren't so far away. I want more.

Voror

I really enjoyed it, especially the last episode.

I liked this version of Dracula too.
It seems to largely be in line with the games, but I liked that he'd seemingly reached a point where he wasn't really actively going around killing people but just chilling in his castle until Lisa came. I liked that show of mercy he gave to the woman who came to bring flowers for her as well.

I'm really curious how far they'll go with this. The series seems to be an adaptation of Castlevania III, but I wonder what the chances of them adapting future game stories in further seasons. Most obvious next choice would be Rondo of Blood followed by Symphony of the Night.
Having the bishop end up being Shaft could be a nice lead in to those games for instance.

If we could get Aria of Sorrow that would be awesome as well. Maybe we could finally get a glimpse of the Demon Castle Wars of 1999. Getting way ahead of myself though.

HStallion

I really enjoyed it, especially the last episode.

I liked this version of Dracula too.
It seems to largely be in line with the games, but I liked that he'd seemingly reached a point where he wasn't really actively going around killing people but just chilling in his castle until Lisa came. I liked that show of mercy he gave to the woman who came to bring flowers for her as well.

I'm really curious how far they'll go with this. The series seems to be an adaptation of Castlevania III, but I wonder what the chances of them adapting future game stories in further seasons. Most obvious next choice would be Rondo of Blood followed by Symphony of the Night.
Having the bishop end up being Shaft could be a nice lead in to those games for instance.

If we could get Aria of Sorrow that would be awesome as well. Maybe we could finally get a glimpse of the Demon Castle Wars of 1999. Getting way ahead of myself though.

Yeah I was saying earlier the Bishop becoming Shaft and being the reason Dracula is resurrected in a future season to face another Belmont would be great. I'd also like to see Death become a character as he shows up all the time in the games.

Spinx

Season 2 wish list

200.gif

Voror

Yeah I was saying earlier the Bishop becoming Shaft and being the reason Dracula is resurrected in a future season to face another Belmont would be great. I'd also like to see Death become a character as he shows up all the time in the games.

Funny, I didn't even think of Death till now but it would definitely be really cool to see them make him something of a character. I liked that one demon who spoke with the Bishop so it would be nice to see more of them not just be mindless drones.

Death would be neat.

Funny thing for me, whenever I think of the personification of Death, I think of the Seventh Seal. I need to rewatch that movie.

Top Bottom