• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Casual marijuana use causes brain abnormalities in the young: study

Status
Not open for further replies.

obin_gam

So like alcohol then. And cigarettes. And to a degree caffeine.

Pass time substances are always dangerous. That's why humans use them.

FUME5

I see nothing in that link about sample sizes, whether they were using other drugs casually etc..

Trying to find an article I read about the VERY high percentage of all biomedical research which gets overturned within a decade.

Holy shit. What was the effect? Wouldn't that just make you feel like total shit (took meds for ADHD in college and felt like my heart would explode)?

To be honest, I don't quite remember. But it definitely didn't make us feel like shit, ha. I remember that he initially hated his meds and would give them to me at school, must have started around 6th grade. Before we knew it, we were snorting the pills during class at a private, Catholic grade school. Only 20 of us in the entire graduating class, still freaking baffles me that none of the goody good Christian girls ratted us out. Shit, some dude in my high school was looked at as a druggy nutjob for snorting a pain pill in History class. Even more baffling to me is that I honestly didn't feel like snorting something like that was bad at all. We learned about cocaine in D.A.R.E., not about a friend's prescription meds. Again, I wasn't the brightest of the bunch.

entremet

Read the rest of the article

Changes, not abnormalities.

Guesses, Guesses everywhere.

Also I'd like to see Hans Gruber come out against anyone younger than 30 drinking alchohol.

lol at the rationalizing.

just accept it, bro. it's part of the territory that comes will drug use.. unless you're trying to go for jeopardy champion or do some Ph.D level math research. i wouldn't worry about. a proper critique of the study will require looking at the study, not the article.

People think weed stinks? I've always thought it smelt quite pleasant, especially when compared to horrible cigarette smoke. It also doesn't hang around in hair, clothes etc the same way.

This was a conclusion I reached when I was very young by the way, thinking my uncles "herbal" cigarettes smelt so much nicer than the cigarettes my parents smoked.

I also have no doubt smoking weed does affect brain development, especially in regards to motivation. But I also believe it has great medicinal value, so there is no black and white on the matter.

Seth C

Oh look, this study was funded by a group whose goal is to get you off "illegal drugs" on on the prescription ones. I'm so totally surprised.

"NIDA literature and National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) research frequently contradict each other. For instance, in the 1980s and 1990s, NIMH researchers found that dopamine plays only a marginal role in marijuana's psychoactive effects.[25] Years later, however, NIDA educational materials continued to warn of the danger of dopamine-related marijuana addiction."

"The NIDA also funded the research of John W. Huffman who first synthetized many novel cannabinoids. This compounds are now being sold all around the world as pure compounds or mixed with herbals known as spices. The fact that NIDA has allowed and paid for the synthesis of these new cannabinoids without recommending human consumption research is a topic of concern."

"NIDA has a government granted monopoly on the production of medical marijuana for research purposes. In the past, the institute has refused to supply marijuana to researchers who had obtained all other necessary federal permits. Medical marijuana researchers and activists claim that NIDA, which is not supposed to be a regulatory organization, does not have the authority to effectively regulate who does and doesn't get to do research with medical marijuana."

"Currently, the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) has a monopoly on the supply of research-grade marijuana, but no other Schedule I drug, that can be used in FDA-approved research. NIDA uses its monopoly power to obstruct research that conflicts with its vested interests. MAPS had two of its FDA-approved medical marijuana protocols rejected by NIDA, preventing the studies from taking place. "

"Since NIDA's stated mission "is to lead the Nation in bringing the power of science to bear on drug abuse and addiction," federally supported marijuana research will logically tilt toward the potential harms, not benefits, of cannabis."

Gosh, I'd never have guessed. Oh look, they've even been known to falsify dates in an effort to make themselves look better.

"In February 2005, Westat, a research company hired by NIDA and funded by The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, reported on its five-year study of the government ad campaigns aimed at dissuading teens from using marijuana, campaigns that cost more than $1 billion between 1998 and 2004. The study found that the ads did not work: "greater exposure to the campaign was associated with weaker anti-drug norms and increases in the perceptions that others use marijuana." NIDA leaders and the White House drug office did not release the Westat report for a year and a half. NIDA dated Westat's report as "delivered" in June 2006. In fact, it was delivered in February 2005, according to the Government Accountability Office, the federal watchdog agency charged with reviewing the study."

Brakke

Banned
In this thread, people half-read an article about an article written by Harvard Medical School researchers, and dismiss it out of hand as bad science.

We got some Champion Scientists on this board damn they're so good at it.

SummitAve

Banned
lol at the rationalizing.

just accept it, bro. it's part of the territory that comes will drug use.. unless you're trying to go for jeopardy champion or do some Ph.D level math research. i wouldn't worry about. a proper critique of the study will require looking at the study, not the article.

Whatever, Ken Jennings rolls fatties and they don't call it STEM for nothing.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
In this thread, people half-read an article about an article written by Harvard Medical School researchers, and dismiss it out of hand as bad science.

We got some Champion Scientists on this board damn they're so good at it.

Pot smokers aren't known for their attentive skills.
Love you!

entremet

Whatever, Ken Jennings rolls fatties and they don't call it STEM for nothing.

To be fair. It's incredibly difficult to quantify this stuff.

The brain is complex organ and much of it is still a mystery. The study cites it affects areas of motivation, but how does that manifest itself? Does it vary per person?

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
In all honesty, if/when I have kids, I'd much rather have them smoke pot than drink. And I've never even tried marijuana.

Chichikov

That study seem at a pretty early stage, they don't really understand what effect those changes have, but more research on the brain and the effects drugs have on it is always welcome, even if I don't like the results.
That being said, even if their supposition that pot usage causes amotivation and not being focused on your goals, it's still not a reason to ban it, I strongly believe that as an adult you have every right to do harmful things to yourself.

And it certainly not a reason to put people in jail

Dead Man

Do they have evidence of behaviour changes, or just evidence of structural changes in the brain?

Never mind, read the rest of the article. No evidence of particular behavioural changes yet, but they doctors are worried this is the cause of ammotivaion. That's it kids, better give all your weed to me.

I honestly don't trust this study. For three reasons.

1. You basically can't get a grant to study drugs and the brain in the US unless your proposal has something about looking for damaging effects. So the study is biased from the start.

2. Changes in emotion and decision making in teenagers? Wow, y'don't say.

3. Really, all it's saying is there's a correlation not that marijuana causes it. It doesn't exactly seem far fetched to me that people who, during young adulthood, have trouble regulating emotions or motivation would choose to smoke more than people who are emotionally stable and highly motivated. I mean, unless they had some identical twins in this group of people and had one twin smoke and one twin not smoke, there really isn't any way of telling whether the marijuana caused the changes or whether an differently developing brain caused the marijuana use.

entremet

1. You basically can't get a grant to study drugs and the brain in the US unless your proposal has something about looking for damaging effects. So the study is biased from the start.

3. Really, all it's saying is there's a correlation not that marijuana causes it. It doesn't exactly seem far fetched to me that people who, during young adulthood, have trouble regulating emotions or motivation would choose to smoke more than people who are emotionally stable and highly motivated. I mean, unless they had some identical twins in this group of people and had one twin smoke and one twin not smoke, there really isn't any way of telling whether the marijuana caused the changes or whether an differently developing brain caused the marijuana use.
The study doesn't quantify any behavioral changes, only that areas of brains that control motivation and emotion are affected.

What that means for motivation and emotion is still unknown.

I'd love to see the study in detail. Many people are criticizing the study without actually reading it.

Takuhi

Really? REALLY?
People are doubting a study that suggests pot use saps people of motivation and makes them less focused on their goals?

That doesn't ring true at all? Your friends who smoke pot daily-to-weekly are mostly motivated young go-getters? You watch comedies about pot, most of which are produced by pot users, and sit stone-faced at all the jokes about pot-using characters that are lazy and unambitious and think "Where do they come up with this stereotype? That's preposterous!"

3. Then you need twin for every medical research.......

The Hermit

XjRwbCv.gif

perfect

Really? REALLY?
People are doubting a study that suggests pot use saps people of motivation and makes them less focused on their goals?

That doesn't ring true at all? Your friends who smoke pot daily-to-weekly are mostly motivated young go-getters? You watch comedies about pot, most of which are produced by pot users, and sit stone-faced at all the jokes about pot-using characters that are lazy and unambitious and think "Where do they come up with this stereotype? That's preposterous!"

Ironically, these pot using film producers need to be pretty motivated to get a film off the ground in the first place!

Who are they to call the brain after smoking pot abnormal? Maybe that's what the brain is supposed too look like when it is truly normal. Maybe all the other brains are abnormal, ever think about that? So it changes the volume, shape and density of the brain? oh yeah? So I guess that must means that exercise and a low-carb diet must be bad too, because it changes the density, volume and shape of fat in people's bodies. Right doctors?

I've heard its bad for developing brains for years now.

Yeah, pretty much all chemical substances that one puts into one's body are bad (or not ideal) for a developing brain. 25 is just the age when the brain finally completes development. (So to the poster who said they consider anybody 25 or younger to be a kid, you're basically right.)

entremet

Who are they to call the brain after smoking pot abnormal? Maybe that's what the brain is supposed too look like when it is truly normal. Maybe all the other brains are abnormal, ever think about that? So it changes the volume, shape and density of the brain? oh yeah? So I guess that must means that exercise and a low-carb diet must be bad too, because it changes the density, volume and shape of fat in people's bodies.

What?!

akira28

you're supposed to put natural stuff into you. Maybe if you were locked in a cage for all your life, your brain would look like some pristine normal untouched organ, but you'd be literally a psycho. But if you're out living in nature and ingesting natural alkalines you would obviously show the effects of those natural changes.

seldead

Why's it so hard to admit that weed is probably not good for you? So much cognitive dissonance in this thread of otherwise perfectly rational people frantically trying to justify their favourite pass time by throwing out science. I prefer MDMA myself and I'm quite happy to admit that as an inherently neurotoxic chemical it's not doing me any favours, but through careful moderation and awareness of the actual dangers I can make an educated decision on whether to use it and maximise my safety.

entremet

been smoking since 15.. 21 now.. is this a quit and your good sort of thing or is this permanent damage?

You probably have irreversible damage already, bro.

Say goodbye to being Summa Cum Laude. :(

Why's it so hard to admit that weed is probably not good for you? So much cognitive dissonance in this thread of perfectly rational people frantically trying to justify their favourite pass time by throwing out science. I prefer MDMA myself and I'm quite happy to admit that as an inherently neurotoxic chemical it's not doing me any favours, but through careful moderation and awareness of the actual dangers I can make an educated decision on whether to use it and maximise my safety.

It always happens in these types of thread. You'd think marijuana was a health supplement for some.

I like your attitude. You own your substance and don't try to make any excuses. It's a called a vice for a reason. I still think alcohol, which is perfectly legal is the worst when abused. So I'm not being anti weed here. I think it should be legal as well and the war on drugs is a crock.

Fuck the PR people who trumpeted this study out to the press without providing an electronic version of the study ahead of print. Electronic versions should always be made available (to subscribers, at least) for something that makes the news. This is common practice. Can't make any proper comments without the actual paper, which is not available online unless I'm completely blind.

Edit: aha, found it.

BigDug13

I seem to be doing ok. And I say the same thing in every thread like this - if some of you had any idea the number of people in important positions that smoke pot and or did as a kid....

For example, at least 2 of our last 3 presidents.

And the 3rd one did cocaine.

ahuffman

Banned
How come we have articles already when the study if not yet published. How am I supposed to post anything in here?

The powers at be are just trying there hardest to paint pot as evil, with the surge of support for legalization. They are afraid their entire moral agendas are going to come crashing down.

Desty

Banned
Lol at these justifications. Guess what, smoking is bad for you too. You shouldn't smoke tobacco or weed.

Exactly.I have smoked pot since I was 17 and I understood what i said because it made complete sense in my head, and others didn't understand it. So who exactly has the abnormal brain around here? The one who can understand, or the one who can't. Who is the unhealthy abnormal one? The one who can lift over 100 pounds easily, or the one who can't even lift a leaf? I think I have made my point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom