• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cats in world's major Religions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interior_of_a_school_in_Cairo_%28detail%29.jpg

Christianity
(The Gospel of the Holy Twelve- condemned by the Church)
Another section of the gospel proves Christ's compassion for the cat. While he was walking through a village, he noticed a group of boys tormenting a cat. Jesus asked them to stop, but they did not listen. After unsuccessfully trying to persuade them to stop, he drove them away with a whip, saying: "This earth, which my Father-Mother made for joy and gladness, ye have made into the lowest hell with your deeds of violence and cruelty..." Yet another incidence of Jesus' kindness to cats is recorded, "And as Jesus entered into a certain village he saw a young cat which had none to care for her, and she was hungry and cried unto him; and he took her up, and put her inside his garment and she lay in his bosom. And when he came into a village he set food and drink before the cat, and she ate and drank and showed thanks to him" (Ibid, pp.56-57)

No doubt due to the cat's association with the devil, evil and Paganism, only one obscure reference to the cat appears in the Bible. The Letter from Jeremiah contains one mention of the cat when referring to Pagans in the Book of Baruch.

By the year 476 AD, unrelenting Barbarian hordes were attacking the Western Roman Empire. Quickly disintegrating under the strain, and with Romulus Augustus' abdication to Odoacer, a Germanic King of Italy, Rome ultimately saw it's death...In most of those 500 years, before the onslaught of Christianity, the Romans managed to include the cat in their daily lives, worship her in the form of Isis and Diana, and carry her to the far reaches of the empire...Moreover, all the ancient Aegean civilizations including both Greek and Roman found the cat important enough to capture in their art. Some postulate that it was the coming of Christianity that brought the Roman Empire to its inevitable doom, as it surely did the cat. The Dark ages and fanatical Christianity would consume Paganism and the cat together, and the cat once adored, then tolerated, would soon become demonized.

Judaism:
The Talmud honors cats as teachers of virtue. “Rabbi Yochanan observed: If the Torah had not been given, we could have learned modesty from the cat” (Eruvin 100b). Rashi says R. Yochanan praises the cat for its delicate habits of eliminating waste, but I myself learn modesty from the cat’s thoughtfulness. From its hiding place, a cat can observe a situation in careful detail, before finally leaping out to make a bold, intelligent and successful move.

In Perek Shira, the “Song of Nature,” cats teach the world humility by embodying a prophetic verse. “The cat says, ‘If you rise up like a vulture, and place your nest among the stars, from there I shall bring you down,’” (Obadiah 1:14). No one, no matter how high or powerful, can escape the claws of a determined cat. Often, the vulture is a metaphor for imperial power. Through the cat, God teaches that even the most militarized empire is vulnerable to rebellion and decay.

In Hebrew Bible, big wild cats express divine power. Lions appear in Ezekiel’s vision of the heavenly beings attending God’s Presence. The Lion is the symbol of the tribe of Judah, lineage of King David. Members of the royal courts describe their kings as lions. Honoring a lion honors a king; honoring a king honors God.

Hinduism:
As a child, Ganesha loved playing with his bows and arrows. Spotting a white cat one day, he decided to play hunter and shot arrows at it. The terrified creature ran for cover, but Ganesha thought it was playing a game.

He looked behind a tree – there it was, trembling and round-eyed. “Aha, got you! ” said the chubby god and shot at it again. Miaowing with fear, the cat scooted for cover under a log. Ganesha chased it down and pulled it out. He rolled it around in the mud and threw it up in the air like a furry ball! Once more, the cat escaped. Ganesha lost interest and went back home.

He was in for a shock. There sat Parvati, his lovely mother, her face and arms scratched and mud-stained.

“Ma, how did you get hurt?” cried the little fellow.

“I’ve no idea,” said Parvati. “What have you been up to?”

“I was playing with a cat and..um...I was pretty rough with her.”

“Now I know why I have these bruises!” said Parvati. Drawing Ganesha close, she explained, “Ganesha, my body is the world and every living creature in it. I was that cat, too! Whatever you do to other beings, you do to me as well!”

Ganesha was stunned and deeply remorseful. “So my every little action matters…wow! I’m so sorry, Ma, I’ll never do harm to anything…ever!”

Smiling at her son, Parvati said, “That may not be possible, son. But do be aware of your actions and harm as little as possible.”

Nodding, Ganesha ran off to find the little cat and make peace with her.
Islam:
Cats have been venerated in the Near East since antiquity, a tradition adopted by Islam, albeit in a much modified form.[3] Muhammad is reported to have said that "a love of cats is an aspect of faith"; according to other hadiths, he prohibited the persecution and killing of cats. The prophet purportedly allowed a cat to give birth on his cloak, and cut off the sleeve of his prayer robe rather than wake his favourite cat, a female named Muezza, who was sleeping on it.[2]
Cat resting on a pillow next to an imam in Cairo, by John Frederick Lewis

One of Muhammad's companions was known as Abu Hurairah (literally: "Father of the Kitten") for his attachment to cats.[1] Abu Hurairah claimed that he had heard the Prophet declare that a woman went to Hell for starving a female kitten and not providing her with any water, but this was disputed by the Prophet's widow Aisha.[4] According to legend, Abu Hurairah's cat saved Muhammad from a snake.

In Islamic tradition, cats are admired for their cleanliness. They are thought to be ritually clean, unlike dogs,[1] and are thus allowed to enter homes[2] and even mosques, including Masjid al-Haram.[1] Food sampled by cats is considered halal and water from which cats have drunk is permitted for wudu.[2] Furthermore, there is a widespread belief among Muslims that cats seek out people who are praying.[1]

Interesting how Cat is revered by all the religions, including the ancient Egyptians, Romans and Byzantines. Stuff went downhill for a bit after Paganism elements mixed with Christianity during the dark ages.

I think it might be due to the calm nature of cats. They always look like they're in deep contemplation or meditation, unlike dogs which are the complete opposite.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
cut off the sleeve of his prayer robe rather than wake his favourite cat, a female named Muezza, who was sleeping on it.

That's a true cat owner right there.

Yeah, you need to be at peace with yourself and with the fact that cats don't listen you.
If you're insecure and you want to feel dominant, buy a dog (or Kinect).

haha, cats are cool.

Don't forget Buddhism:

In some Buddhist cultures cats can be regarded as holy creatures particularly so as they are perceived to be one of the more ‘mindful’ animals and have traditionally been useful in keeping down pests such as mice and rats that feed on food stores. The Birman cat - also known as the sacred cat of Burma descends from cats that were raised in Buddhist temples in Burma and the monks regarded that the souls of the departed returned to earth as a cat. Traditional folklore posited that on the death of a person if he had reached the highest level of enlightenment then their soul would return to earth for one last time as a cat and when it dies would be freed to reach nirvana. Furthermore the cat is believed to speak with Buddha in favour of its owner that is still alive. Thailand has similar beliefs and so the cat is respected highly amongst Buddhist monks and many temples will have cats that live amongst the monks and Buddha statues and images.

http://thebuddhasface.blogspot.com/2011/06/buddhism-and-cats-cute-kitten-and-its.html

Cats speak to Buddha in favor of their owners. Further proof cats > dogs.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Cats are just cute furry guys that make a validating noise when we pet them.

As part of the Chinese zodiac:

"... [A] story tells that God called the animals to a banquet that night. The Rat, who loved to play tricks on his neighbour, told the cat that the banquet was on the day after tomorrow. The Cat believed his neighbour the Rat and slept whilst dreaming of the banquet. The next day, the Rat arrived first followed by the Ox, the Tiger and the rest of the animals. The order of the animals was decided by the order that they arrived. The Cat was devastated and vowed that he would always hate the Rat. This is why cats chase Rats in folklore."

Source: Wikipedia

Very interesting. I knew cats were worshipped in ancient Egypt and Islam is very favorable towards cats but I had no idea they got the thumbs up from almost every major religion.

I guess its just really easy to succumb to the cuteness. Imagine if they had cat vines and youtube compilations back then..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom