• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS President: Doubtful about a Supergil/Flash/Arrow Crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.
The quality of the show itself doesn't play a part in your decisionmaking?

I mean, if the only TV shows you actually watch are Arrow and The Flash, then I guess it makes a little more sense.
Not really. I'd stick with Arrow and Flash even if the writing took a nosedive until they ended. The only reason I stopped Once was because I couldn't handle the shit every single week and am waiting for the season to finish to binge watch it on Hulu.

I don't watch Person of Interest, Game of Thrones, or any other popular or genre shows. I just don't care. I'd rather spend my time watching properties I really care about, rewatching Star Trek in perpetuity, or playing video games.

Clevinger

A multi-network crossover with three (or more) shows always seemed like a potentially big logistic and creative headache to me.

Plus if Supergirl is a huge hit for CBS they may want her to spearhead her own universe with more CBS shows, not one from a little-watched network they only half-own.

A multi-network crossover with three (or more) shows always seemed like a potentially big logistic and creative headache to me.

Plus if Supergirl is a huge hit for CBS they may want her to spearhead her own universe with more CBS shows, not one from a little-watched network they only half-own.

This would be a bad idea for DC imo. It's one thing to have separate shows with their own universes. Even a few shows that share a Universe while other shows are their own. But multiple different TV universes that only cross over with select other shows is excessive.

I mean it's not even like, say, Constantine, which has a decidedly different feel and aim than JL characters. Supergirl, Arrow, Flash, and the Titans are all much closer in relation, so splitting multi-show universes based on which network wins bids for shows sounds very awkward and potentially confusing.

Oddduck

I'm not going to invest in different universes for DC shows. It's why I'm not watching Gotham and why I won't watch Teen Titans if it isn't Arrowverse.

I don't understand why some people feel so strongly about a "shared universe".

I'm just happy to see some quality comic book shows on television.

ivysaur12

Banned
Not really. I'd stick with Arrow and Flash even if the writing took a nosedive until they ended. The only reason I stopped Once was because I couldn't handle the shit every single week and am waiting for the season to finish to binge watch it on Hulu.

I don't watch Person of Interest, Game of Thrones, or any other popular or genre shows. I just don't care. I'd rather spend my time watching properties I really care about, rewatching Star Trek in perpetuity, or playing video games.

So, wait, you only shows you ever watch are based off of properties you already know/care about?

How can you discover new things in that case?

So, wait, you only shows you ever watch are based off of properties you already know/care about?
Yep. The last time I watched a new property was Falling Skies and Revolution and I got burned hard with them. I don't see a point in investing my time in TV shows I have no idea about. If they are really good I can always watch them later after they end. I hate starting shows, enjoying them, only to be cancelled.

Kouichi

Eh not a huge deal if it ends up being completely separate. I love crossovers and the Arrowverse, but it's not necessary for every show to connect. I'm just looking forward to another awesome Berlanti superhero show.

Oddduck

I think Arrow's writers need to stop focusing on how they crossover with other shows, and stay focused on keeping Arrow's quality consistent.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yep. The last time I watched a new property was Falling Skies and Revolution and I got burned hard with them. I don't see a point in investing my time in TV shows I have no idea about. If they are really good I can always watch them later after they end. I hate starting shows, enjoying them, only to be cancelled.

So why does it matter if Supergirl is part of the universe of Flash or Arrow? Why does even hinting at it make it suddenly watchable? It'll have the same EP but a different writing team no matter what.

will clark kent exist in supergirl? or are they gonna go with her being the only kryptonian.

edit: wow a lot of poor attitudes to have towards media in this thread. what if this show ends up being better than the ones on CW? skip it because there's no cameos brehs.

Joni

I don't need crossovers in the first season, but I need it to be clear that this is the same universe. I think they could get an awesome acknowledgement going in the 'Marvel one-shot' style. The season of Arrow ends with Waller and an unnamed agent talking about the rumours of a new superhuman in Kansas. Waller sends him out to check up on the threats. The guy shows up in Supergirl where he does exactly that. Waller warns Oliver and Barry to keep out of this during their next seasons.

I feel like Warner Bros is making a mistake if they allow this to be done in a separate universe. They have missed the boat with their movie universe, they can't miss the boat here. I won't be invested in the show otherwise to be honest, I don't care as much about Constantine for instance. It is also stupid if they're doing this to avoid promoting Arrow and The Flash, they own 50% of The CW.

So why does it matter if Supergirl is part of the universe of Flash or Arrow? Why does even hinting at it make it suddenly watchable? It'll have the same EP but a different writing team no matter what.
Why does DC need a shared movie universe? Why can't they just continue making separate movies? It is the same answer, we need a Justice League.

gazele

Banned
I think Arrow's writers need to stop focusing on how they crossover with other shows, and stay focused on keeping Arrow's quality consistent.

Why are the two necessarily related?

The crossover episode of Arrow was much better than the previous episodes and it has been really good since the crossover

Because it is the line that determines if I'll invest my time to watch it as it airs. If it isn't Arrowverse but it's good and ends properly (not canceled on a cliffhanger) I'll take the time to binge watch it at some point.

ivysaur12

Banned
Why does DC need a shared movie universe? Why can't they just continue making separate movies? It is the same answer, we need a Justice League.

That's not what I'm responding to.

Because it is the line that determines if I'll invest my time to watch it as it airs. If it isn't Arrowverse but it's good and ends properly (not canceled on a cliffhanger) I'll take the time to binge watch it at some point.

But why does something as part of a shared universe make it a must watch instantly? Also, you mentioned Game of Thrones and Person of Interest -- both of those shows have been on for some time and are in no danger of ending. Why not watch? Because they're non-familiar IPs?

Penguin

Well DC doesn't NEED a shared movie universe

They succeeded before without one

But as you noted, there's money to be made in a connected universe/big team-up movie.

I imagine it's the same type of logic that makes some people not watch shows until they know it'll be renewed.

will clark kent exist in supergirl? or are they gonna go with her being the only kryptonian.

Early reports were that the show will have no Clark Kent/Superman equivalent at all and that she will have a sister that will most likely be her eventual antagonist, basically mirroring Clark and Lex's relationship. I don't know if that's changed though.

Slayven

But why does something as part of a shared universe make it a must watch instantly? Also, you mentioned Game of Thrones and Person of Interest -- both of those shows have been on for some time and are in no danger of ending. Why not watch? Because they're non-familiar IPs?

Preach Ivy

ivysaur12

Banned
I imagine it's the same type of logic that makes some people not watch shows until they know it'll be renewed.

Early reports were that the show will have no Clark Kent/Superman equivalent at all and that she will have a sister that will most likely be her eventual antagonist, basically mirroring Clark and Lex's relationship. I don't know if that's changed though.

I get why you wouldn't want to watch something until it's been renewed. I'm not really a comic book fan and I don't watch any comic book-based shows at the moment (not that I'm inherently opposed), but I don't see how making something a shared universe somehow makes the same show more of a must watch. Especially if, as the poster asks, if it's just "hinted" at in some manner. It's just the same show, but Stephen Amell would be a doing a salmon ladder somewhere in the ether.

Because I know it'll have a better chance at life if it's connected to an established series.

I don't know how or when POI or GOT will end. I don't know if they'll end with a proper finale, or if they'll get canned on a cliffhanger (a sin I will never repeat willingly), or if everyone will hate the ending.

A show in an established universe is less of a risk than one without.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
gotham isn't in the arrowverse but its not like that matters since gotham takes place long before flash or arrow are even 10

Amazingly in the future flash article we see wayne enterprise so eventually BATMAN has to appear.

gazele

Banned
Right or wrong there is a stigma attached to CBS

1. It has never done a super hero show (that I know of)

2. Big Bang Theory, Two and A Half Man, NCIS, etc. procedurals that go on forever and generally don't appeal to 18-35 demo (I know there are some good shows on CBS)

3. No connected universe means there's a possibility that Super girl, despite what the producers have said, will have a more procedural, less comic book-y background i.e. villains like Grodd and Captain Boomerang, possibly more made for the show villains

I'm not saying any of these are true, but it all plays into why this news is concerning, I'm still gonna watch regardless because I'll take any and every comic-based show, but there are warning signs, hopefully that are unwarranted

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
the problem is the Atom is going to get his own show eventually which then means we have a flash,arrow,atom show

Slayven

2. Big Bang Theory, Two and A Half Man, NCIS, etc. procedurals that go on forever and generally don't appeal to 18-35 demo (I know there are some good shows on CBS)

3. No connected universe means there's a possibility that Super girl, despite what the producers have said, will have a more procedural, less comic book-y background i.e. villains like Grodd and Captain Boomerang, possibly more made for the show villains

I'm not saying any of these are true, but it all plays into why this news is concerning, I'm still gonna watch regardless because I'll take any and every comic-based show, but there are warning signs, hopefully that are unwarranted

the-flash-john-wesley-shipp-casting-cw.jpg

ivysaur12

Banned
Because I know it'll have a better chance at life if it's connected to an established series.

I don't know how or when POI or GOT will end. I don't know if they'll end with a proper finale, or if they'll get canned on a cliffhanger (a sin I will never repeat willingly), or if everyone will hate the ending.

A show in an established universe is less of a risk than one without.

Well, Game of Thrones is an established series and is in no danger of cancellation considering its the number one show on its network (neither is PoI, and will certainly end in a manner that's "final"), so… I don't really understand what the fear is.

There are tons of shows based on established properties that will be one season and one -- Constantine -- and that are very bad -- Gotham. There are many shows that are not based on anything that are fantastic. Of my top 10 shows of the year:

-- Hannibal is based off of an existing property.
-- Orange is the New Black is based off of a memoir.
-- Game of Thrones is adapted from a book series.

Two of them aren't quite beholden to their source material, while Game of Thrones is. And 7 of my top 10 -- that are in no real danger of being canceled -- are completely original IPs. You're really, really, really limiting yourself to like 4 shows if you only care about shows that are based on established comic book universes.

Joni

I'm just saying part of the reason why so many people want one. The possibility of something bigger compared to series after series of universes where you have this one special person and all the other special persons are connected to that guy.

Well DC doesn't NEED a shared movie universe. They succeeded before without one.
They do clearly need one because they haven't succeeded at all. They have made Batman super popular, but they can't even manage the same with Superman. Let alone any second-tier hero. Marvel made me care about characters I didn't even know about.

gotham isn't in the arrowverse but its not like that matters since gotham takes place long before flash or arrow are even 10
Isn't Gotham actually a '30s' version of our modern times?

Amazingly in the future flash article we see wayne enterprise so eventually BATMAN has to appear.
No, Wayne has to appear. Batman won't.

Also, once Supergirl is cancelled - because it is CBS, the channel with so many hits, she is gone forever if she isn't in a shared universe.

I'm not watching Constantine or Gotham because they aren't Arrowverse.

Honestly I'm not interested in GoT because it isn't the type of fantasy I enjoy. Orange is different because unlike regular TV shows the seasons are available all at once and I can binge them in a day. It also isn't the kind of story that I feel needs an ending.

Like I said before. It's a matter of prioritizing my time. I work full time and I have a wife. I don't have the hours in the day to watch every acclaimed show on the air, read the books I want to read, and play the games I want to play. So I pick and choose.

If Supergirl isn't Arrowverse I won't invest my time in it and it airs. Plain and simple.

And honestly, I only care about sci-fi/fantasy/cape shows.

I'm only watching Once because I hate leaving things undone. It's why I'm not watching it weekly, but binge watching the half-seasons so I can just tear the bandaid off.

Two of them aren't quite beholden to their source material, while Game of Thrones is. And 7 of my top 10 -- that are in no real danger of being canceled -- are completely original IPs. You're really, really, really limiting yourself to like 4 shows if you only care about shows that are based on established comic book universes.

The irony of a guy who loves the living shit out of Star Trek (a show about discovery and exploration) severely limiting his entertainment options in the way he does aside - guy apparently values his time to an extent where he needs to be sure whatever he's going to watch is a 100% sure bet for return on investment.

I don't know how segmented/scheduled his day is, but at that point - that's his time to do with as he will. If he's only got room for 3 or 4 hours a week tops to spend on TV shows? Shrug. That's just how he do, I guess.

It doesn't make any sense to ME at all, but I don't know that it's my place to tell the guy he watches TV wrong. I'm certainly not going to adopt his mentality anytime soon, but apparently it works for him, so more power to him.

ivysaur12

Banned
The irony of a guy who loves the living shit out of Star Trek (a show about discovery and exploration) severely limiting his entertainment options in the way he does aside - guy apparently values his time to an extent where he needs to be sure whatever he's going to watch is a 100% sure bet for return on investment.

I don't know how segmented/scheduled his day is, but at that point - that's his time to do with as he will. If he's only got room for 3 or 4 hours a week tops to spend on TV shows? Shrug. That's just how he do, I guess.

It doesn't make any sense to ME at all, but I don't know that it's my place to tell the guy he watches TV wrong. I'm certainly not going to adopt his mentality anytime soon, but apparently it works for him, so more power to him.

No, like, sure, I just feel like that self-imposed rule is limited potential enjoyment. Especially if you're still watching Once, which is literally scripted human feces.

No, like, sure, I just feel like that self-imposed rule is limited potential enjoyment.

I completely agree! I can't imagine all the fucking awesome shit I'd be missing out on with that 4 hour budget a week if I chained all my choices to whether or not there was a shared continuity in place.

But guy basically admitted he'd just as soon play video games and read this forum to scratch that itch, too. So I mean - that's the storytelling bar we have to clear, here.

Oddduck

Why are the two necessarily related?

The crossover episode of Arrow was much better than the previous episodes and it has been really good since the crossover

You are basically saying that the only great Arrow season 3 episode so far (outside of the Flash crossover) was the midseason finale.

Because that is the only episode that has aired after the Flash crossover (so far).

gazele

Banned
You are basically saying that the only great Arrow season 3 episode so far (outside of the Flash crossover) was the midseason finale.

Because that is the only episode that has aired after the Flash crossover (so far).

Huh really?

K, well I guess we'll see how the rest of the season turns out

Penguin

They do clearly need one because they haven't succeeded at all. They have made Batman super popular, but they can't even manage the same with Superman. Let alone any second-tier hero. Marvel made me care about characters I didn't even know about.

Superman was insanely popular in the 70s/80s

And his TV shows have done really well for the most part.. even if Lois and Clark fell off a cliff in season 4.

The past exists... it still part of the story.

I know times change, I'm just saying it is possible.

Lmao, man season 3 has been pretty damn wack

Flash hit it out of the park though. It's crossover episode isn't even the best of the season imo

DieH@rd

Banned
IMO, Arrow was great this season. Death of Sara shook that universe hard enough to move characters into new directions, and now there will be even more changes after events of mid-season finale. I only hope that they will not rush with Laurel. She sucked so far and IMO does not deserve to get the "easy way in" into the new life that she is chasing right now.

The movies did good, but it is not like nowadays. Superman II made like $100 million.

$100 mil was a LOT of tickets sold back then, though. I'm not going to try and bust out "adjusted for inflation" dollars because that's not going to be very accurate - but the cost of a ticket was lower back then.

It's part of the problem in tracking popularity by dollars earned instead of units sold.

Superman II sold a lot of tickets, though.

That said - there are a lot of TV shows that get more viewers in one night than some big theatrical releases get in a month.

I also disagree with the notion that DC needs a shared movie Universe personally the way how I see it a good movie is a good movie regardless of whether it's interconnected with other shit or not hell having shared Universe leads to db scenario where standalone heroes in their own movie a facing certain world ending threat on their own rather than calling in help for one of their zillion super friends

This show still has not convinced me of anything tbh. How are they going to handle Superman? Are they? If he is not mentioned or doesn't show up, I will be a little surprised.

Besides The Flash series, that was already mentioned, they also aired the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno The Incredible Hulk series as well as seasons 2 and 3 of Wonder Woman.

This show still has not convinced me of anything tbh. How are they going to handle Superman? Are they? If he is not mentioned or doesn't show up, I will be a little surprised.

Been mentioned a couple times in the various threads here, but it seems (so far), the idea is that there's never been a Superman - there's no Clark Kent at all. Kara is the only Kryptonian to have landed on Earth.

Oddduck

I also disagree with the notion that DC needs a shared movie Universe personally the way how I see it a good movie is a good movie regardless of whether it's interconnected with other shit or not hell having shared Universe leads to db scenario where standalone heroes in their own movie a facing certain world ending threat on their own rather than calling in help for one of their zillion super friends

This is exactly why I don't care for shared universes in superhero stuff.

I want to see the main characters dig themselves out of a bad situation.

It becomes less suspenseful and interesting when the main characters can call on their super friends from other shows/movies to bail them out of a bad situation.

Been mentioned a couple times in the various threads here, but it seems (so far), the idea is that there's never been a Superman - there's no Clark Kent at all. Kara is the only Kryptonian to have landed on Earth.

That seems pretty useful, in that they'll be able to use Superman's entire rogues gallery, repurposed for her setting. Which they'll have to, because I don't think anybody knows what Supergirl's rogues gallery is.

IMO, Arrow was great this season.
Death of Sara
shook that universe hard enough to move characters into new directions, and now there will be even more changes after events of mid-season finale. I only hope that they will not rush with Laurel. She sucked so far and IMO does not deserve to get the "easy way in" into the new life that she is chasing right now.

Dude, you gotta tag those spoilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom