• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC concludes Blue Bell Creameries' mandatory recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
http://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/ice-cream-03-15/index.html

Some preeeeeety gross stuff in the findings...

Texas findings
Oklahoma findings
Alabama findings

Stuff like loose paint chips on the ceilings right about blenders, condensation coming off dirty equipment directly into full tubs of ice cream.

I used to be a Blue Bell stan, but I can't abide by their negligence. In the absence of Blue Bell, I've switched to gelato...Talenti has a new customer, this stuff is god mode.

Caramel-Cookie-Crunch-Pint-500x662.png

edit: small misunderstanding in the thread title, the investigation is over, but the recall is still in effect until the recommended fixes are in place.

diaspora

http://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/ice-cream-03-15/index.html

Some preeeeeety gross stuff in the findings...

Texas findings
Oklahoma findings
Alabama findings

Stuff like loose paint chips on the ceilings right about blenders, condensation coming off dirty equipment directly into full tubs of ice cream.

I used to be a Blue Bell stan, but I can't abide by their negligence. In the absence of Blue Bell, I've switched to gelato...Talenti has a new customer, this stuff is god mode.

Good lord wtf. Did they mix arsenic in there too?

Mmm chocolate paint chip icecream

I do hope they are able to clean up their act and get their products back on the market. It would be a bummer to see them fail to recover.

I don't think I'll be a return customer. I wonder if the company will survive.

It definitely will. I really doubt any southerner fans of the company will leave them. People are selling their tubs on eBay and people are anticipating their comeback. I've already seen tons of people whining about how there's no other good similarly priced ice cream in stores that's as good as BB.

Also, all of those news polls have resounding sure yeses on them.
http://www.waff.com/story/28861459/poll-blue-bell-recall
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/poll-will-you-buy-blue-bell-ice-cream-when-it-returns/
http://austin.blog.statesman.com/20...s-over-will-you-still-buy-blue-bell-products/

blackflag

I used to Stan for them too but there's no way I'd go back. They'll never recover.

Also, Talenti Sea Salt Caramel is the GOAT.

bender

What time is it?
It definitely will. I really doubt any southerner fans of the company will leave them. People are selling their tubs on eBay and people are anticipating their comeback. I've already seen tons of people whining about how there's no other good similarly priced ice cream in stores that's as good as BB.

I'd count myself as a southerner fan willing to leave them so at least one. :p

How long have they had the business shut down? A lot of companies aren't strong enough financially to survive being shut down for any significant amount of time. Not to mention getting their creameries up to par and repairing their damaged brand.

I wish them the best though. I still have found memories of sitting on my grandpa's porch while listening to a Rangers game and eating some Mint Chocolate Chip.

edit: the more I read, the more I regret the best wishes. Really sucks for those who lost their jobs.

Sky Chief

Hopefully they will be back before the holidays. I NEED my Blue Bell Christmas Cookies ice cream.

They're not coming back from this, once you have listeria in your plant is nearly impossible to eradicate. They would be better off just destroying all their plants and starting over from scratch but no way they can afford that. They've already laid off most of their staff too. Furthermore, the FDA can now do genome testing on listeria and identify when someone dies from it or a pregnant mother had a miscarriage exactly which plant the listeria came from so I am sure they will also be facing plenty of lawsuits in the future as cases are traced back to them. I would honestly be shocked if you ever ate Blue Bell ice cream again.

You don't think the brand is tarnished beyond repair?

google search "Blue Bell Prayer Vigil"

You'll see people gathered on the front lawns of the factory to pray for Blue Bell. thousands of yard signs ( including a couple I've seen on my block ) have been put in yards in support and solidarity. Even though Blue Bell is certainly at fault for these deaths, many people I've talked to just think the situation is "unfortunate" and they sympathize with Blue Bell. They are anxious for Blue Bell to come back ASAP.

Brannon

Let us mourn the loss of a great brand brought to ruin by greedy irresponsible twats.

Fuckin' hell. What a waste.

I live in Central Texas and this whole thing has been a hoot. People all over here act like the company was hit by a tornado, some kind of "tragedy" that was beyond their control. They eagerly await the return of the thing on store shelves and I see at least one Facebook post rooting/praying for them every other week.

I'm tempted to write "Guys, what happened to Blue Bell wasn't a tragedy. They had shit health safety practices and some real stank-ass contaminants all over. But let's all forget that because OMG THEY'RE SO GOOD and they're (kinda) local. The ice cream isn't even that great."

But I won't because I'll probably get death threats.

Enron

Banned
i will admit, I will probably eat Blue Bell again. There wasn't any certain flavor or anything I must-have, and I didn't go out of my way to get blue bell over say edy's or mayfield but i'd feel comfortable picking up a tub of Blue bell on sale or whatever.

I live in Central Texas and this whole thing has been a hoot. People all over here act like the company was hit by a tornado, some kind of "tragedy" that was beyond their control. They eagerly await the return of the thing on store shelves and I see at least one Facebook post rooting/praying for them every other week.

I'm tempted to write "Guys, what happened to Blue Bell wasn't a tragedy. They had shit health safety guidelines and some real stank-ass contaminants all over. But let's all forget that because OMG THEY'RE SO GOOD and they're (kinda) local. The ice cream isn't even that great."

But I won't because I'll probably get death threats.

Never underestimate Texas citizens when it comes to taking a bullet for a beloved corporation. We love big businesses more than we love ourselves. If Dr. Pepper was ever "under attack" by the CDC and responsible for multiple deaths, you would see a similar response.

bender

What time is it?
google search "Blue Bell Prayer Vigil"

You'll see people gathered on the front lawns of the factory to pray for Blue Bell. thousands of yard signs ( including a couple I've seen on my block ) have been put in yards in support and solidarity. Even though Blue Bell is certainly at fault for these deaths, many people I've talked to just think the situation is "unfortunate" and they sympathize with Blue Bell. They are anxious for Blue Bell to come back ASAP.

Will definitely be interesting to see. The cost of retooling their manufacturing process, litigation and brand rebuilding seems like a huge hurdle. I'm sure they could start over and find success at home but they might have ruined the expansion efforts they've made in the last 5-10 years. Maybe the expansions is what got them into this position in the first place.

Those findings are fucking rank, these people should never be allowed that industry again.

The more you find out about any large business, the less you'll want to support them. Not trying excuse Blue Bell in the least.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
You don't think the brand is tarnished beyond repair?

Nope. The day Blue Bell is back on the store shelves, people will be right there buying it. Too many people grew up on it and were exclusively Blue Bell consumers. Many people around here are willing to forgive anything as long as Blue Bell is back. Wouldn't be the first time a brand was accused of doing heinous things that effected customers, but people went right back.

ElRenoRaven

Thank god we don't eat that shit. Always was over priced compared to others. Such a shame though that businesses do this. You know you have to wash hands, keep your equipment kept up, etc. Do it. You can freaking kill people. Just shameful.

SoulUnison

Banned
Thank god we don't eat that shit. Always was over priced compared to others. Such a shame though that businesses do this. You know you have to wash hands, keep your equipment kept up, etc. Do it. You can freaking kill people. Just shameful.

I bet it's actually been factored out by a number cruncher somewhere that the potential settlements from one or two people dying *if* it was traced back to them was still cheaper than retooling their production lines.

ElRenoRaven

I bet it's actually been factored out by a number cruncher somewhere that the potential settlements from one or two people dying *if* it was traced back to them was still cheaper than retooling their production lines.

Sadly you're right. That's why in findings like this they should hold people responsible. Someone should go to prison for having allowed all of this to go on.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Will definitely be interesting to see. The cost of retooling their manufacturing process, litigation and brand rebuilding seems like a huge hurdle. I'm sure they could start over and find success at home but they might have ruined the expansion efforts they've made in the last 5-10 years. Maybe the expansions is what got them into this position in the first place.

The more you find out about any large business, the less you'll want to support them. Not trying excuse Blue Bell in the least.

Agreed with the large business part and I would have to assume they are going to take on some new investment to recoup the damage done and retooling the factories. But they aren't going out of business. I think the state would give them a grant before that happens.

Tastes just like the good old days.....

D:

I will never eat Blue Bell again. It's gross the way people treat food.
Imagine if there were no inspections at all

Never underestimate Texas citizens when it comes to taking a bullet for a beloved corporation. We love big businesses more than we love ourselves. If Dr. Pepper was ever "under attack" by the CDC and responsible for multiple deaths, you would see a similar response.

Oh, I don't underestimate them to do this kind of thing. It's just fun to think about what kind of response I'd get for saying that. Not that I'd do it for trolling purposes, I really am getting annoyed at the repeated suggestion that this wasn't their fault.

I work primarily in food photography, so I've had a lot of experience in food service, and being in some great kitchens and a number of plants. I'm not an employee of Blue Bell. I have been on the floor of the Brenham, TX plant personally on a few occasions from 2008-2013, and saw nothing out of order. Seemed very clean, even by dairy standards. I'd have no problem going back to Blue Bell after they clean up and correct the problems found in the report.

I like Blue Bell ice cream, though I don't eat it particularly often. Like OP, Talenti gelato has become my new jam. Just had the mint flavor the other day and it was crazy good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom