• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 3: The playoffs really did make the regular season pointless.

andycapps

TTK Presents: GAF Pick'em Week 3 Games

Picks

Ignoring that warning I see.

Just now discovered the Shutdown Fullcast, pretty funny so far.

My picks, missed opportunity to include a pick for Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech, AKA the battle for #2 college football program in the state.

UCF @ Missouri by 4
Boise State @ Connecticut by 11
Syracuse @ Central Michigan by 6
West Virginia @ Maryland by 4
Louisville @ Virginia by 111
Georgia @ South Carolina by 4
NC State @ South Florida by 4
Arkansas @ Texas Tech by 4
Iowa State @ Iowa by 11
UCLA vs Texas by 11
Portland State @ Washington State by 24(what the hell is this pick doing here TTK? Wouldn't have happened if we had Yahoo)
Nebraska @ Fresno State by 11

Enfinit

I don't follow the thread besides the pick'em game, sorry
Points are awarded for plus or minus three of the score you predicted. Thus making a score prediction of three or less kind of... stupid.

If you just come to the thread solely for the pick em's, at least ensure you're doing that correctly. Cyan warns to ban anyone who makes a score prediction of three or less.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The point swing on guessing is way too big, resulting in everyone picking 4s and 11s for their point margins. It takes all of the strategy out of actually predicting the outcome of the games. I maintain that it should be: correct guess on margin = 2 bonus points, guessing within 2 = 1 bonus point. Either way, I won the season pick em 2 years back doing it my way, so I am going to keep doing it my way

andycapps

Jay Sosa said:
I don't follow the thread besides the pick'em game, sorry

The lowest score you want to pick is 4, that's what it boils down to. Picking something less than 4 runs the risk of irritating the corndog eatin' mods around these parts.

The Hatin' Ass Spurrier Responds to Week Two feature is pretty funny, actually.

Some excerpts:

Which one of y'all told Will Muschamp the painted part wasn't lava?

Mighty polite of you to practice abstinence in front of the home crowd at Notre Dame, Michigan offense. A classy farewell gesture if I do say so myself.

I know Tennessee hasn't played anybody, but 2-0 is better than the old "Kentucky with boats" recruiting pitch.

Houston Nutt seems like a natural for the SMU job, since Arkansans do enjoy screwing a pony or two from time to time.

Michigan State's feeling some type of way right now. (Herpes is an emotion in East Lansing, right?)

Now I don't think y'all should all gang up on the Big Ten. Just one of you will do.

Y'all see that Clemson win over South Carolina State? I think Dabo's got a future in selling fake Coach purses.

Jay Sosa

Points are awarded for plus or minus three of the score you predicted. Thus making a score prediction of three or less kind of... stupid..

The point swing on guessing is way too big, resulting in everyone picking 4s and 11s for their point margins. It takes all of the strategy out of actually predicting the outcome of the games. I maintain that it should be: correct guess on margin = 2 bonus points, guessing within 2 = 1 bonus point. Either way, I won the season pick em 2 years back doing it my way, so I am going to keep doing it my way

The lowest score you want to pick is 4, that's what it boils down to. Picking something less than 4 runs the risk of irritating the corndog eatin' mods around these parts.

Thanks, didn't know that. And just last week I was wondering why so many people picked 4 point margins.

If you just come to the thread solely for the pick em's, at least ensure you're doing that correctly

What I meant by that was that I don't like to participate, but I do enjoy reading it.

Forever in our Hearts. ROLL DAMN MYTHICAL SHOW TIDE

rer96pF.gif

Damn you Lonestar. I saw this GIF and thought "Oh shit, Shutdown Fullback is back!?" and then I realized it's from an old episode and died a little inside.

I won the season Pick 'Em last year doing it my way as well, so it seems like the 4/11 strategy definitely isn't guaranteed.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Damn you Lonestar. I saw this GIF and thought "Oh shit, Shutdown Fullback is back!?" and then I realized it's from an old episode and died a little inside.

I won the season Pick 'Em last year doing it my way as well, so it seems like the 4/11 strategy definitely isn't guaranteed.

High five bro! Probably helps that the 4/11 mentality is lazy as all get out and thinking about scores more in depth causes you to weigh more options about each team and thereby using your brain... :p if people wanted to get Smart lazy, they would take Vegas odds and then apply the pathetic 4/11 to it, but that would be too much work, wouldn't it?

if people wanted to get Smart lazy, they would take Vegas odds and then apply the pathetic 4/11 to it, but that would be too much work, wouldn't it?

This is very nearly how I do it. I always start by looking at the spread for each game and use that as a jumping off point for my own personal analysis of what I think the game's outcome will be. I rarely every pick 11 points, but if I think the game will be close I will probably pick 4 points.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This is very nearly how I do it. I always start by looking at the spread for each game and use that as a jumping off point for my own personal analysis of what I think the game's outcome will be. I rarely every pick 11 points, but if I think the game will be close I will probably pick 4 points.

Man that is a lot of effort.

UCF @ Missouri by 10
Boise State @ Connecticut by 17
Syracuse @ Central Michigan by 7
Louisville @ Virginia by 7
Georgia @ South Carolina by 7
Iowa State @ Iowa by 11
UCLA vs Texas by 7
Portland State @ Washington State by 10
Nebraska @ Fresno State by 10

AntoneM

I just make a guess based on what I know about the teams involved and sometimes that's next to nothing. Eh, makes it more fun!

Cagey

Banned
Rutgers gives professional seat-filler Kyle Flood a two year extension and pay raise to continue being overwhelmed as head coach.

Draxal, et. al. -- convince me this wasn't terrible pls. I've been trying to find a way to donate money to the school to pay for his buyout, and then this happens.

EDIT: link here http://espn.go.com/new-york/college...et-knights-give-kyle-flood-two-year-extension

Rutgers coach Kyle Flood has agreed to a two-year contract extension through 2018, the school announced Thursday.

"Kyle Flood is a tremendous coach for our football team and has earned the opportunity to lead us into the Big Ten and build on our program successes," athletic director Julie Hermann said in a release. "With the generosity of private funding, we are pleased to invest in our Head Coach and our entire staff at a level more consistent with our Big Ten peers."

The contract ranges from $950,000 to $1.55 million, while Flood's buyout will increase from $700,000 to $1.4 million, according to a source.

Flood is in his third season as head coach of the Scarlet Knights and has a 17-11 record. Named the 2012 Big East Coach of The Year in his first season, the Scarlet Knights earned a share of the 2012 Big East title, the first championship in program history.

Rutgers (2-0) hosts Penn State in a key early-season Big Ten matchup Saturday night.

:(

Draxal

Rutgers gives professional seat-filler Kyle Flood a two year extension and pay raise to continue being overwhelmed as head coach.

Draxal, et. al. -- convince me this wasn't terrible pls. I've been trying to find a way to donate money to the school to pay for his buyout, and then this happens.

Donors extended him.

They view him as a Dabo Sweeney type, perfect ceo, handles the press and players perfectly but needs strong assistant coaches for x and o's. His extension still makes him ridicously cheap for a head coach and he still has a really small buyout. I just want to get the friedgen of dc's since, the budget can now afford it.

If they fall off a cliff he'll get fired, but they're going for the big haul here which is the 2016 NJ class which is loaded for what it is. If they get Gary, Alexander, DuBoise and Walker it would be the best class in Rutgers history.

Getting Kiy Hester back from Miami was incredibly huge for Rutgers.

Man that is a lot of effort.

It is, but I find the whole process research really fun. It helps me learn about all the different teams across all of college football. I dig into teams' relative strengths and weaknesses, compare passing and rushing stats for offenses vs defenses, look for key injuries, etc. I picked VT over OSU right because I figured OSU's new backup QB would have a lot of trouble against VT's top-10 secondary, and I was 100% right on that one.

Rutgers should have fired Flood and promoted Friedgen to head coach. Maryland will forever regret firing that dude two weeks after he was awarded ACC Coach of the Year.

Draxal

It is, but I find the whole process research really fun. It helps me learn about all the different teams across all of college football. I dig into teams' relative strengths and weaknesses, compare passing and rushing stats for offenses vs defenses, look for key injuries, etc. I picked VT over OSU right because I figured OSU's new backup QB would have a lot of trouble against VT's top-10 secondary, and I was 100% right on that one.

Rutgers should have fired Flood and promoted Friedgen to head coach. Maryland will forever regret firing that dude two weeks after he was awarded ACC Coach of the Year.

Have you seen Friedgen? He makes Charlie Weis look svelte and healthy. He can't stand up to the rigors of the hc anymore.

UCF @ Missouri by 13
Syracuse @ Central Michigan by 4
West Virginia @ Maryland by 7
Louisville @ Virginia by 10
Georgia @ South Carolina by 4
Arkansas @ Texas Tech by 7
Iowa State @ Iowa by 14
UCLA vs Texas by 14
Portland State @ Washington State by 4
Nebraska @ Fresno State by 14

Sarye

I'm actually cool with it, donors donating money at all is a good thing as our donors were notoriously scroogelike in the past.

I'm not sold on our DC.

You beat me to it. It's actually not a bad move since it's all private donors money.. Plus it makes recruiting a lot easier for Rutgers with a little bit of stability. I agree with you that we need a home run hire at DC and I think we now have the budget for that.

I'm already second guessing my Tech > Arky pick, but I think I'm going to leave it as is. Tech defeated Central Arky by 7 points, so its hard to imagine SEC arky faring any worse.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm already second guessing my Tech > Arky pick, but I think I'm going to leave it as is. Tech defeated Central Arky by 7 points, so its hard to imagine SEC arky faring any worse.

I was a bit surprised earlier this week when the line came out and Tech was favored, but as the week has gone on and prediction articles are being written it seems like more people than not are picking Tech in this one so I'm going to stick with my pick.

I was a bit surprised earlier this week when the line came out and Tech was favored, but as the week has gone on and prediction articles are being written it seems like more people than not are picking Tech in this one so I'm going to stick with my pick.

I just switched my pick to Arky. TX Tech allowed Central Ark to gain 178 rushing yards and UTEP to gain 271. Arkansas put up 495 yards rushing last week against Nicholls St and 153 the week before to #5 Auburn.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I just switched my pick to Arky. TX Tech allowed Central Ark to gain 178 rushing yards and UTEP to gain 271. Arkansas put up 495 yards rushing last week against Nicholls St and 153 the week before to #5 Auburn.

Arkansas' offense certainly seems custom built to hit every weakness the Tech defense has, but on the other hand Nicholls State is an FCS team that had a losing record last season and Arkansas is currently on a 10 game losing streak to FBS teams in which the average score was about 38 to 18. I was surprised at the line when it came out for much the same reason you're picking Arkansas to win, but as the week has gone on and I hear more about Arky I think my initial impression may have overvalued them a bit. Plus, I've been learning to trust Vegas over the last few seasons.

All it could take is a couple of early turnovers or bad penalties and an early 10 or 14 point lead by Arkansas, though, and the game could get pretty ugly for Tech as Arkansas could probably run up a few drives of 8+ minutes. Same goes the other way as well IMO; if Tech gets up early and Arkansas needs to start throwing the ball the main advantage Arky has in the game would completely disappear.

Should be a very interesting game and I'll be there to see it live.

Arkansas' offense certainly seems custom built to hit every weakness the Tech defense has, but on the other hand Nicholls State is an FCS team that had a losing record last season and Arkansas is currently on a 10 game losing streak to FBS teams in which the average score was about 38 to 18. I was surprised at the line when it came out for much the same reason you're picking Arkansas to win, but as the week has gone on and I hear more about Arky I think my initial impression may have overvalued them a bit. Plus, I've been learning to trust Vegas over the last few seasons.

All it could take is a couple of early turnovers or bad penalties and an early 10 or 14 point lead by Arkansas, though, and the game could get pretty ugly for Tech as Arkansas could probably run up a few drives of 8+ minutes. Same goes the other way as well IMO; if Tech gets up early and Arkansas needs to start throwing the ball the main advantage Arky has in the game would completely disappear.

Should be a very interesting game and I'll be there to see it live.

Nice, don't forget to wear black to celebrate cotton!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Where the fuck is karakand, anyway? Does't he realize that CFB has started back, or is he waiting for the weeks of shitty non-conference games to pass before making an appearance?

tokkun

UCF @ Missouri by 8
Syracuse @ Central Michigan by 7
Louisville @ Virginia by 7
Georgia @ South Carolina by 11
Iowa State @ Iowa by 4
UCLA vs Texas by 7
Portland State @ Washington State by 17
Nebraska @ Fresno State by 14

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
He's probably somewhere in a drunken haze, thinking about literature and philosophy or some shit, having totally forgotten football even exists.

At some point someone will kick him and go "yo, get out the way, tryna watch the game," and he'll remember.

No, I don't think that's it at all. He is waiting for UCLA to get dropped by Texas' JV transfers before sullenly making his season entrance. Wait for it. :p

UCF @ Missouri by 11
Boise State @ Connecticut by 15
Syracuse @ Central Michigan by 4
Louisville @ Virginia by 10
Georgia @ South Carolina by 17
Arkansas @ Texas Tech by 11
Iowa State @ Iowa by 4
UCLA vs Texas by 9
Portland State @ Washington State by 12

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
UCF @ Missouri by 10
Boise State @ Connecticut by 17
Syracuse @ Central Michigan by 3
West Virginia @ Maryland by 10
Louisville @ Virginia by 13
Georgia @ South Carolina by 7
NC State @ South Florida by 7
Arkansas @ Texas Tech by 3
Iowa State @ Iowa by 7
UCLA vs Texas by 14 I hope hot Texas OMG girl comes back for this one.
Portland State @ Washington State by 10 What is a Portland State?

I'm actually nervous about the KU/Duke game. I think Duke is clearly a more talented team but I have a feeling they are going to play like they don't give a fuck. Got to win out the NC schedule because other than Wake Forest, I don't know who really sucks this year.

So I just found out there is a West Texas A&M.

Texas should play them yearly for their rivalry game. I think the nation would watch intently.

Go Cougars

Dang just came to post those.

I'm sure UCLA fans aren't happy about the implications of being sub ordinates to USC.

Edit: Upon further investigation you can get the Storm Trooper shirt in Cardinal and Gold with USC on it as well.

Top Bottom