• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chaos Rings II |OT|

Goli

3z6SC.jpg

Release date:
  • 3.15.2012 (Out now in Japan)
Requirements:
  • iOS 4.0 and up.
Compatible devices:
  • iPhone 3GS and up
  • iPod Touch 4th generation and up
  • All iPad models.
Pricing:

• Japan: iPad: 2200¥ iPhone/iPod: 2000¥

• US: iPad $20 iPhone/iPod $18
Media:
Purchase links:
Theme song sung by Minori Chihara, Celestial Diva.

*Note: Japanese version includes English.

For more information please visit the game's official site: http://www.chaosrings.com/2/en/index.html

Cant wait!

I only played the first story in Chaos Rings 1, should I play through the others first? Are they worth doing?

Goli

Cant wait!

I only played the first story in Chaos Rings 1, should I play through the others first? Are they worth doing?
Omega runs a lot smoother than Chaos Rings and has better graphics.
On the other hand it is kind of a so-so sequel-prequel, since it reuses most of Chaos Rings' dungeons and enemies but recolored (although it does have like, two original dungeons) and the story isn't really all that good (probably because Chaos Rings doesn't really leave much room for a sequel, and given the success they had they came up with a prequel; one where the original scenario staff wasn't involved, sadly).

Omega runs a lot smoother than Chaos Rings and has better graphics.
On the other hand it is kind of a so-so sequel-prequel, since it reuses most of Chaos Rings' dungeons and enemies but recolored (although it does have like, two original dungeons) and the story isn't really all that good (probably because Chaos Rings doesn't really leave much room for a sequel, and given the success they had they came up with a prequel; one where the original scenario staff wasn't involved, sadly).

Sorry, I dont mean Omega, I mean the other 2 or 3 story arks that are in Chaos Rings 1 after you beat it with the first duo.

I never bought Omega, a prequel just didnt sound appealing for some stupid reason, haha.

Cant wait!

I liked going through the tournament with all the different characters. None of the stories are particularly deep, but they're at least interesting. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised at how much playtime I got out of Chaos Rings. (I didn't enjoy Omega nearly as much, though.)

Goli

Sorry, I dont mean Omega, I mean the other 2 or 3 story arks that are in Chaos Rings 1 after you beat it with the first duo.

I never bought Omega, a prequel just didnt sound appealing for some stupid reason, haha.

OH, I completely misunderstood. Yes, they are worth doing.

Hrm...I wonder how long it takes to go through the other ones? I guess I should get started.

Its funny though, I loved Chaos Rings, and normal I get bored and stop playing JRPGS, I didnt even bother finishing Chrono Trigger DS when it came out, though in my defense I HAVE finished it before, but that was on the SNES, and when I was a kid and had no money, and lots of time, hah. But still I had forgotten nearly everything that happened in that game, but I still got bored and just gave up.

Chaos Rings was great though, the story was interesting, and combat while easy was a load of fun. I guess I just really enjoyed how it was relatively short, and didnt have much filler bullshit.

edit:

Yes, they were one of the few good things about the game! Playing it through more then once was where it got a little interesting.

Damn, aight. That makes me REALLY want to play them. Any guesses on time for each play through?

Shanks

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the first one. I thought I read in an interview somewhere that the series would be like final fantasy with stand alone stories.

Goli

By the way, Famitsu has a lot of new things here:
http://app.famitsu.com/20120314_42996/ but I don't wanna translate everything to not spoil myself and since it releases tomorrow/today depending on location elsewhere in the world, I'm sure SE will release official character descriptions and stuff soon.
But what I did read was the non story/character parts.
First, the battle system from I/Omega returns but with the addition of a charge gauge, which fills up as characters take and deal damage. Characters can now use limit break-like attacks called "Awake" using the charge gauge, or, use the "Advent" system to summon powerful creatures. "Awake" attacks are solo attacks while "Advent" attacks are pair ones.
The game apparently now has a single starting tale, but how it unfolds is up to you. Which people you choose to sacrifice will determine the path you take, and also which "Advent" sacred beasts you get. Finally, it seems in this game which two people you use in battle can be changed, unlike in the original or Omega where your couple was fixed.
Though you could switch between Vahti and her dad in Omega's bonus dungeon.
Also, just like Omega, the game will have a patch schedule, with each patch adding new game content (increased level caps, new bosses, new quests).

creid

Ack, I wish I knew that before buying Omega. Haven't played through it yet, but it's going to be a long slog if it's not as good as the original.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sigh, still not embracing the concept of universal apps... to buy for my 4S or for my (planned) iPad 3rd gen... decisions, decisions :mad:

Huh. I liked omega a fair bit more than 1. A better tuned leveling system in which you were not super broken mid game. Faster attack animations and the new worlds were gorgeous.

And don't you need to go through all the stories in 1 to get the 'ending'?

Btw is Plu back? Easily one of the best item shop themes ever.

duckroll

By the way, Famitsu has a lot of new things here:
http://app.famitsu.com/20120314_42996/ but I don't wanna translate everything to not spoil myself and since it releases tomorrow/today depending on location elsewhere in the world, I'm sure SE will release official character descriptions and stuff soon.
But what I did read was the non story/character parts.
First, the battle system from I/Omega returns but with the addition of a charge gauge, which fills up as characters take and deal damage. Characters can now use limit break-like attacks called "Awake" using the charge gauge, or, use the "Advent" system to summon powerful creatures. "Awake" attacks are solo attacks while "Advent" attacks are pair ones.
The game apparently now has a single starting tale, but how it unfolds is up to you. Which people you choose to sacrifice will determine the path you take, and also which "Advent" sacred beasts you get. Finally, it seems in this game which two people you use in battle can be changed, unlike in the original or Omega where your couple was fixed.
Though you could switch between Vahti and her dad in Omega's bonus dungeon.
Also, just like Omega, the game will have a patch schedule, with each patch adding new game content (increased level caps, new bosses, new quests).

The part that interests me is that Square Enix has created a new branding for what is presumably their top tier smartphone games: SiSiLaLa Overdrive. Terrible name, but the branding (which can be seen in the Chaos Rings II launch trailer) will be used on smartphone game titles which have a theme song tie-up. For Chaos Ring II the theme song is Celestial Diva, and this is the first title in the branding, the second title will be the Million Arthur game they previously announced at TGS, and that theme song is Million of Bravery which will be out at the end of March.

bubnbob

Banned
I think it's safe to say this has nothing to do with the original, and is just based on name alone.

I'd like to be wrong!

I think it's safe to say this has nothing to do with the original, and is just based on name alone.

I'd like to be wrong!

The baffle system and world traversal looks really similar.

And the whole multiple dimension/timeline nature of the series does allow some freedom in plots and what not.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Cool. I'll probably pick this up like I did the first one, when Square does one of those half off deals. I hope the OP title gets updated when it's on sale!

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I really don't mind paying more for original content on iPhone/iPad but what the hell man? Why isn't this game at least a universal app? Going to assume there is no iCloud support either. Basic shit. Get it together SQEX!

Japan: iPad: 2200¥ iPhone/iPod: 2000¥

lol square

Why is it that we pay up to 60$ for any RPG on a home console, but 20$ are considered a ridiculous price for a full fledged RPG on iPad/iPhone. It might not have the same graphic fidelity as a PS3/Xbox game, but graphics are good and the content is more or less on par.

Small screen and touch controls can but doesn't have to be a disadvantage, but the game is also cheaper.

It was the same with Ghost Trick which was one of best DS games of last year and you had to pay up to 40$ for that game. Has been released for iOS in January for a price of about 10$ and people were outraged of that price for an iOS game, which actually had the same quality and the same content as the DS game. The touch controls made it even superior to the DS version IMO.

I don't get it...

Goli

The part that interests me is that Square Enix has created a new branding for what is presumably their top tier smartphone games: SiSiLaLa Overdrive. Terrible name, but the branding (which can be seen in the Chaos Rings II launch trailer) will be used on smartphone game titles which have a theme song tie-up. For Chaos Ring II the theme song is Celestial Diva, and this is the first title in the branding, the second title will be the Million Arthur game they previously announced at TGS, and that theme song is Million of Bravery which will be out at the end of March.

If I had to make a wild guess, the third game will probably be 星葬ドラグニル. The song's name is still TBC, but it's sung by Girl Disease.

Ultimadrago

Can someone tell me how long 1 is approx.?

I played it for about 4 and a half hours before, a while after that I started wondering just how long it was going to last.

Not that I expected it to only be 5 hours, but you know, just started wondering.

Fusebox

Banned
I wish Square sold stuff other than video games. I want to pay $15 for a pencil or $12 for a gallon of milk.

The game is $20, not $200.

If you're too poverty stricken to pay $20 for a game you should sell your iOS device and buy a hot meal or something instead...

C-Jo

I don't have a problem with $20 for a game of this caliber. However, I have a huge problem with not making it universal and charging an additional $18 for the iPhone version. It's a shitty practice that I'll have no part in supporting.

btkadams

I don't have a problem with $20 for a game of this caliber. However, I have a huge problem with not making it universal and charging an additional $18 for the iPhone version. It's a shitty practice that I'll have no part in supporting.

this. i'm not buying. sorry, square.

Fusebox

Banned
On one hand, I agree that no universal sucks, on the other hand I'd never play this on anything but my iPad anyway so.... I guess that means I have two hands.

I'm glad it doesn't cost $29.99! The game's story looks interesting. I know Square-Enix ios games can be expensive, but I think it's a pretty good price considering the content you get and the high production values.

I just remind myself that this would be a $40 PSP game and I'd probably get it at that price. So $18 isn't that bad when I look at it that way.

But Rayforce for $12 is crazy! Was hoping Chaos Rings 2's release would put some Taito games on sale and some other Square-Enix games.

vesp

Anyone try the iPhone version with retina pad? Would rather buy the iPhone version for universal use if it looks decent using it.

vesp

Don't think it has cloud save... so why would it matter?

There's a ton of reasons.

1) it's cheaper
2) it's possible that I will either get an android/windows 7 phone or a windows 8 tablet down the line and would rather have the option to replay it on whichever device I keep
3) My fiance and i have a joint iTunes account and she games primarily on her iPhone whereas I do most of my iOS gaming on an ipad2.
4) It doesn't support the asinine idea that iPad apps should be more expensive when almost every time they are exactly the same app
5) the lack of cloud saving doesn't make it impossible to swap saves around, even if it is more tedious without it

Goli

Can someone tell me how long 1 is approx.?

I played it for about 4 and a half hours before, a while after that I started wondering just how long it was going to last.

Not that I expected it to only be 5 hours, but you know, just started wondering.
Each couple's story is about 5 hours, and since there's 4 couples... It should take you about 20 hours to 100% beat it.

I never played the first game. Should I try it? What should I expect?

You should expect something like a Squaresoft PS1 RPG.

Top Bottom