• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Checkmate, liberals: Proposed NC bill would thwart ACC/NCAA boycotts

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...quired-withdraw-acc-conference-boycotts-state

North Carolina legislators filed a bill this week that would require North Carolina and NC State to withdraw from the ACC should the conference decide to boycott the state again.

But several North Carolina legislators were unhappy with the initial decision the ACC Council of Presidents made to boycott the state. They have proposed House Bill 728, filed Tuesday, which states any public state school in a conference that boycotts North Carolina would be barred from "extending any grant of media rights to the conference" and "shall immediately provide written notice to the conference that the constituent institution intends to withdraw from the conference no later than when the assignment of its media rights expire, unless the conference immediately ends the boycott."

"Now these conferences, they're going to have to think twice about doing a boycott, especially for something that's as out of their core mission as they did trying to influence legislation of the General Assembly," said Rep. Mark Brody, one of the primary sponsors of the bill. "If they do it again, now they'll know there will be a price to pay."

"The NC legislature. It's your fault we have to act this way."

Shop me to another conference if old.

Awesome way to make sure your state continues to hemorrhage money. Stay winning NC.

"States rights..unless they don't do exactly what we want, then screw them!"

Matsukaze

Stop-Dont-Come-Back-Sarcastic-Willy-Wonka-Gif.gif

Averon

I thought these people were all about free markets and capitalism?

Why are they getting so mad that a private institution are exercising their right to protest bad policies and do business elsewhere?

Some of these state politicians must have middle school degrees max

They don't give certificates from Sizzler training programs to middle schoolers.
I know that was Iowa and not NC but he was just as dumb.

The ACC isn't gonna be bothered by this when it wouldn't require schools to leave before 2027 and there's no way they wouldn't back down if they were actually facing the schools having to leave the conference.

Lkr

If UNC gets the death penalty it won't matter. Feel bad for NC State but they won't get any more upset wins over FSU if they get kicked out

Why is it that North Carolina seems to be more dysfunctional than the rest of the red states?

my incredibly uninformed perception: it isn't really all that red. it seems like a fair portion of the state is less conservative than the people they wound up voted in, and the state legislature is seeking to do as much regressive reactionary crap as it can before a state that's moving away from them replaces them.

i'm not sure if the gerrymandering ruling's been dealt with yet.

Voras

We'll see if North Carolina even has an athletic program in a few years with the way that the NCAA investigations are going. It has been referred to as the "worst academic fraud scandal in college sports history".

It would also probably hurt those schools more than it would hurt the conference.

So, who ultimately loses more at the end of the day if NC does this? I don't get what the NCAA is supposed to lose here. Just less schools?

They realize they need the NCAA waaay more than the other way around, right? They're a handful of schools out of dozens. They're only hurting themselves!

ryseing

If UNC gets the death penalty it won't matter. Feel bad for NC State but they won't get any more upset wins over FSU if they get kicked out

We'll just go to the SEC.

Real talk- this is posturing all around. Morons in the legislature talking a big game to appeal to their rural constituents.

The actual universities have lots of actual graduates living in the state and they would be more than happy to vote for the other guys if they tried to pull this shit. Do not underestimate the loyalty of UNC and NC State grads to their alma maters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom