• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Checkmate, liberals: Proposed NC bill would thwart ACC/NCAA boycotts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that North Carolina seems to be more dysfunctional than the rest of the red states?

Because the state is actually now quite purple, trending more and more in a blue direction, but it's gerrymandered like crazy and the Republicans are trying to do as much damage as possible before losing power for good.

2d3930d10505aa1d2f5f28d5bfacd3aa.gif

Ashodin

Remember when NC was a boom state, on it's way to being super progressive?

There's some violent ass dragging and screaming going on here in this state in regards to progressivism. These people don't want to be in the light because it hurts

Wilsongt

NC legislatures on a roll. First wanting to invalidate gay marriage in their state and now this. They are really energized by more 5-4 decisions at the SCOTUS.

Alchemy

North Carolina is such a garbage ass state. Embarrassed I was born there even if it was on a military base and we moved within a year.

Manzoon

Banned
Long time NC resident and NCSU graduate here, welcome to hell. All of my close friends hate what is happening at the state level.

We got Cooper in as governor because McCrory was universally hated for being a huge piece of shit, and I hope 2018 knocks some more of these assholes out of there. The GOP instantly started using every awful tactic to limit Cooper and further destroy any chance of progressing as a state.

I hope they pull support, excited to see the intense backlash.

It's disgusting how the GA continues to use the UNC school system as a human-shield in their ideological last stand.
Our public higher education system is one of the best in the country and deserves so much better than these assholes. Hell, our whole state deserves better and eventually the demographics are going to shift enough that the GOP is just totally fucked. It's only a matter of time.

Nothing of value is downwind for thousands of miles, I'm ok with this.

Not until all you non North Carolinians get Bojangles in your states.

Honestly I kind of want my own state to suffer for this. It's the only way to get this backwards-ass place to move forward again. I'd like it to not hurt the good people down here who want nothing to do this but there's no way there won't be collateral damage.

jwhit28

I'd love to explain to some people that UNC and NC State were pulled out of the ACC by Republican state legislators.

I don't understand sports. If they pulled out of their conference how would they play? Just shirts and skins in their arena?

No, the core issue is the same: money.

The NCAA doesn't take actions that it deems are too costly, which includes a functional abdication of their self-created role in policing institutions for misconduct.

The NCAA can and does pull events because of corporate pressure. They're on record of it taking an obscene amount of wrongdoing to push the death penalty again.

I wouldn't expect any tournament games there again anytime soon that aren't already set in stone.

Cagey

Banned
The NCAA can and does pull events because of corporate pressure. They're on record of it taking an obscene amount of wrongdoing to push the death penalty again.

I wouldn't expect any tournament games there again anytime soon that aren't already set in stone.

What's the cost to the NCAA for holding events in Georgia v. North Carolina?

What's the cost of taking away scholarships (damaging a program)? What's the cost of prohibiting postseason play? Real money. A weak UNC men's team => lower ratings and attendance => less money. Moving a men's lacrosse tournament? Whatever.

Moving tournaments is a triple win for the NCAA: sends a good message, hurts the entity they want to influence, and costs them nothing.

Zeke

I hope my state is paying close fucking attention to this. NCAA and the NFL have already warned Texas about the ramifications if they pass a bathroom bill.

What's the cost to the NCAA for holding events in Georgia v. North Carolina?

What's the cost of taking away scholarships (damaging a program)? What's the cost of prohibiting postseason play?

Moving tournaments is a triple win for the NCAA: sends a good message, hurts the entity they want to influence, and costs them nothing.

OK.

Geist-

I'm starting to believe that people can only be a Republican Politician if they're below a certain level of intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom