• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago man shot while live streaming, survived (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...res_own_shooting_on_facebook_live_stream.html

A rather extraordinary illustration of a serious problem. The bright spot here is that he's alive in critical condition and the video is sparking more talk about Chicago gun violence.

Graphic video, and the man is in critical condition. Police believe it's authentic.
A man in Chicago shone a bright light on the city’s problems with gun violence when he apparently filmed the moment he was shot while live-streaming a video to Facebook on Thursday afternoon. Chicago police are investigating whether the video that shows an attacker opening fire in broad daylight is authentic. The description of the video does appear to match one of the 10 shootings that took place across Chicago on Thursday and killed at least three people while injuring seven others, including a 16-year-old boy.

The man in the video, who is reportedly 31, was live-streaming a video directly to Facebook outside a West Englewood convenience store. The man speaks directly into the camera and jokes about going “somewhere to duck and hide for cover.” Shortly afterward, shots are heard and, while on the ground, the man’s phone appears to capture the gunman firing several more shots.
Stats on Chicago:
This shooting provided a stark reminder of just how much gun violence there is in Chicago on a daily basis. And how much worse things have gotten in recent months. As of Wednesday morning, at least 727 people had been shot in Chicago this year, marking a whopping 73 percent increase from the same period last year. The number of homicides soared 71 percent to 79 killings, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Oh my gosh WTF.

That number of gun violent reports is just sickening =*(

I can't imagine living in a place like that.

Rootbeer

Banned
Damn, never seen a shooting caught quite like that before, that was cold blooded as hell!

Glad he survived. As close as the shooter was it's amazing he wasn't ended.

16BitNova

What's the cause of the uptick in violence? Is Chicago going through some bad times economically?

Chicago has always had really rough neighborhoods. Full of gangs that are in close proximity of each other. After some housing projects got demolished or abandoned many gang members were forced to live even closer to rival gang members. Gang members are younger and younger it seems. They don't think logically, heavily influenced by their environment. Guns are everywhere. It's just a plethora of unfortunate circumstances.

dark_chris

727 people shot this year? As in the last 3 months? HOLY FUCK.

Wait until summer! It's gonna be so much fun. -.-
The crime in Chicago is so bad, it's starting to come up to the north side even more. Robberies and shootings taking place more often.

It's tied to the economy and education. Rahm is closing schools and there aren't many opportunities in the south side

minx

8 people per day.

Anyone here from Chicago that can speak to this?

It's mostly gang related shooting in certain areas where you absolutely don't want to live. Englewood, where this happened, is an absolute shithole place that you should not live in if at all possible.

dark_chris

It's mostly gang related shooting in certain areas where you absolutely don't want to live. Englewood, where this happened, is an absolute shithole place that you should not live in if at all possible.

Englewood is so freakin terrible there. It's unreal how bad it is. I avoid that area like hell.

Englewood is so freakin terrible there. It's unreal how bad it is. I avoid that area like hell.

Englewood is 'one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city by almost every metric.' Englewood has very long-standing issues with violent crime, property crime, and quality of life crime; in 2015, it was ranked 4th out of 77 Community areas in Chicago in violent crime, 5th among Chicago community areas in property crimes, and 6th out of 100 for quality of life crimes.

Seems like a bad area.

BashNasty

I live in Chicago on the north side, and what a lot of people in threads like these don't realize is that most of Chicago is perfectly safe. The vast, vast, vast majority of violent crime happens in several bad neighborhoods in the south and west sides of the city.

I live in a nice neighborhood (North Center) work in an even nicer neighborhood (Lincoln Park) and I feel 100 percent safe in my day to day life around the city.

Matticers

The camera's view was really eerie after he was shot. The way it's looking up towards the stop sign and the clouds in the sky. Looks like heaven mixed with a "this needs to stop" sort of message.

ajf009

I live in Chicago on the north side, and what a lot of people in threads like these don't realize is that most of Chicago is perfectly safe. The vast, vast, vast majority of violent crime happens in several bad neighborhoods in the south and west sides of the city.

I live in a nice neighborhood (North Center) work in an even nicer neighborhood (Lincoln Park) and I feel 100 percent safe in my day to day life around the city.

Also in norh center, i've never heard gunshots or anything of the sort. Filmed down in the southside and I can definitely say I don't want to go back

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Chicago is a place I would be wary of visiting right now. I know that I shouldn't worry, but all these shootings make me wary.

I imagine my irrational fear of visiting Chicago is the same as people from a different country thinking that they would get shot as soon as they get off the plane.

16BitNova

Chicago is a place I would be wary of visiting right now. I know that I shouldn't worry, but all these shootings make me wary.

I imagine my irrational fear of visiting Chicago is the same as people from a different country thinking that they would get shot as soon as they get off the plane.

As someone from Chicago, I can honestly tell you there is nothing to worry about. These are neighborhoods you will most likely be nowhere near. Chicago is huge and about 80% of the city is very safe. Like I walk everywhere and it's no big deal. These bad neighborhoods are just a different world. Even the cops seem to avoid them for the most part.

Oppo

Yes and I always see this response in Chicago crime discussions.

So what is the message here, you live next to a war zone but it's alright, since you don't live specifically there?

maybe the issue is less about taking offense at people who gasp at the murder rate and more, you know, the fucking murder rate?

Toronto is about the same size as Chicago and if we saw 100 murders in a year people would be completely freaking out and passing new laws. none of this is ok on any level.

I just saw this story on the Aussie news here. I wonder how many times that guy got shot? It looked like the attacker fired off a lot of rounds.

The camera's view was really eerie after he was shot. The way it's looking up towards the stop sign and the clouds in the sky. Looks like heaven mixed with a "this needs to stop" sort of message.
Yea that was very eerie. I was afraid the shooter was going to try to stand over the downed guy and fire execution shots but it seemed like he was shooting at other people as well. Its crazy man that all happened in broad day light.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Do you think there was enough for the gunman's features exposed on camera for the police to find him? im looking at the footage and you get a good shot of him shooting over the phone but I cant really make out his face

Yes and I always see this response in Chicago crime discussions.

So what is the message here, you live next to a war zone but it's alright, since you don't live specifically there?

maybe the issue is less about taking offense at people who gasp at the murder rate and more, you know, the fucking murder rate?

Toronto is about the same size as Chicago and if we saw 100 murders in a year people would be completely freaking out and passing new laws. none of this is ok on any level.
No doubt. How is having a kind of self contained Fallujah in your city limits acceptable in any way? Because of its out of sight and out of mind?
Little kids have to take designated safe routes to school so they don't get shot.
Fuck Rahm Emmanuel. He's a walking example of every Republican stereotype about big city Democrats.

Dead Man

Fucking hell. Chiraq? Why is that acceptable to any city at all? Why are people not raising hell at all levels of government? I know why, but damn.

I'm glad I don't live in america tbh

Indeed. I am a citizen but have lived in Australia for most of my adult life. I used to go back for a year or two at a time regularly. Haven't been back now for a decade. I miss some of it (especially the NW coast), but on the whole the downsides are just too severe.

Fucking hell. Chiraq? Why is that acceptable to any city at all? Why are people not raising hell at all levels of government? I know why, but damn.

Indeed. I am a citizen but have lived in Australia for most of my adult life. I used to go back for a year or two at a time regularly. Haven't been back now for a decade. I miss some of it (especially the NW coast), but on the whole the downsides are just too severe.
Chicagoans are too busy being outraged by a priest mistakenly flying a Chiraq flag over a US flag lowered to half mast. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/02...merican-flag-below-chi-raq-flag-at-st-sabina/

That got hundreds of emails and an outpouring of public anger. Not the bodies though.

FyreWulff

glow

Banned
The guy you see shooting on the video is selfie guy's friend shooting back at the shooters in the black car. Watch the video by pausing frames to see the ambush about to happen

Brinbe

Fucking sad... Those communities have needed help for so long, they're living through hell and shit is only getting worse. Another generation lost. The cycle of poverty and violence continues.

We had 704 homicides in the past decade and you're on pace to top that in a year... that's fucking insane. And we have almost exactly the same population.

Here's the size of it.

I live in Chicago. There are many areas you can go without fear, even in the dead of the night. There are areas you shouldn't go at night, or even during the day. The latter is where most of the crime happens. Most people don't venture out into those neighborhoods because the city treats it like shit, and therefore, tourists aren't gonna go looking for neat places to eat around those places.

That being said, we absolutely have a huge problem with crime in our city. Our cops are shit, our programs are shit, there aren't many opportunities for the poor, and minorities are continuously pushed into deteriorated projects. Just recently, we had a huge wave of people wanting Rahm to leave office because he helped hide some tapes involving the wrongful death of a black man, and that fucker just said a few empty words of apology and left it at that.

Chicago is a beautiful city, and it's great here, but it's also awful at the same time.

Fucking sad... Those communities have needed help for so long, they're living through hell and shit is only getting worse. Another generation lost. The cycle of poverty and violence continues.

We had 704 homicides in the past decade and you're on pace to top that in a year... that's fucking insane. And we have almost exactly the same population.

And it's only going to get worse.

Zaptruder

Banned
There are areas in America that are effectively a war zone in all but name.

Gangs going around shooting up other gangs, creating significant collateral damage, while people in the area develop PTSD, or at least get used to a heightened level of stress and anxiety that would be devastating and abnormal outside of the context of having to use every survival instinct you possess by just walking out doors.

Ullus

at least 727 people had been shot in Chicago this year
That's insane, if it keeps going like that, by the end of the year it would be the same as the number of people living in my town. Ridiculous.

gdt

Because impoverished black people don't matter, apparently.

It's the same kind of thought that leads people to come into these threads talking about "its only in some neighborhoods in the south side though"

Just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom