• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago man shot while live streaming, survived (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

That yearly increase is insane.

This shooting provided a stark reminder of just how much gun violence there is in Chicago on a daily basis. And how much worse things have gotten in recent months. As of Wednesday morning, at least 727 people had been shot in Chicago this year, marking a whopping 73 percent increase from the same period last year. The number of homicides soared 71 percent to 79 killings, according to the Chicago Tribune.

It's the same kind of thought that leads people to come into these threads talking about "its only in some neighborhoods in the south side though"

Just saying

Not really.

People saying it's only in certain areas like myself don't always end at that conclusion. If anything, it's indicative that minorities are suffering due to institutionalized racism, uneducated because the school systems don't give a shit, pushed out to impoverished areas, and are enemies with the police because the cops would rather beat than teach. When I say "it's only certain areas", it's because gun related crimes are huddled into a singular spot where they can "deal" with it by ignoring the problem.

And because it's out of sight and doesn't affect them, other people aren't going to give a shit because they are safe. Nobody is going to vote until it's too late. So the cycle continues, and it just gets worse and worse every single year.

Chicago is safe is many areas, and crime ridden in select places. That's incredibly disturbing, and people should be taking the obvious point from conclusion - that Chicago is relocating crime instead of dealing with it.

DirtyLarry

so what is the solution?
That is a very loaded question as there are several factors leading to the gun violence.
Lack of jobs. Lack of education. Lack of community. Lack of Hope.
I can keep going on and on, but that last one is especially hard.
When someone has no hope, they simply just will not care.

NOISEY on Viceland recently did an episode where they went back to Chicago. It was real good. I recommend checking it out if you are interested in what potentially can be done. They apparently caught some heat for their first series welcome to Chiraq. Many of the people in Chicago thought it was glamorizing the gun violence, which it kinda was. So I feel like they made up for it with the second trip.

so what is the solution?

Take a look at the bigger picture. The national media gloss on to horrifying violence statistics (as they should), but then ignores stories like the fact that Mondeleeze just closed the Oreo factory on the South side of the city. 600 good-paying, union jobs were shipped to Mexico despite the factory being incredibly profitable.

Those 600 people and their families losing that lifeline thanks to corporate greed will have a much larger effect on violence in their neighborhoods than another tweak to gun or curfew laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom