• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago Tribune: Trump's tariffs have provided 800 new jobs so far for Illinois Town

I think its sad to assume that the people who voted for Trump were manipulated, as opposed to realizing they knew exactly what they were doing, and voted for him to send a message to both parties and to stop the status quo from continuing any longer.
The poor, uneducated americans knew exactly what rich, corporate lobbyists were doing and voted exactly for that. I'm sure many republicans knew exactly what they were doing, but I know a large portion of them were manipulated.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I won't go so far as to say the majority of Trump voters were manipulated and thats the sole reason he won by electoral vote. Its more of a combination of general ignorance of key issues, manipulation and the usual party over country mentality that so many people have these days. I believe that they believed he would be better than Hillary, but I know they had no idea that he would be this big of a disaster and this huge of an embarrassment. Hell even those of us that knew he would be a trainwreck could not have even seen that it would get this bad.

The good news is that because he has been as bad as he is it has rallied the majority of the country in opposition to him and the GOP. Which makes these mid-terms that much more important. Its the first real chance that Americans are gonna have to tell the world that the majority of us don't support what Trump is doing to the country and the world. Once the Dems retake the Senate it will return to a somewhat better state at least. They will be able to blockade any of Trumps more ridiculous requests and policies.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
Any type of market correction isn't butterflies and rainbows at first. We are getting killed on trade. Many would acknowledge that. Few would do anything. Trump made some bold moves. That is for sure.

The never Trump crowd would rather sit around and complain about the scenario we are in, and fix it by pointing the finger at millionaires and billionaires. Then one day, the rich elite say "you got us, here is the trillions of dollars we hoarded. Have it." There's never any type of actual policy ever from the left. Just feelings.

Trump is trying to course correct decades of imbalanced trade. People who want to shit on him will always find something to bitch about. Of course there's risk to it. But doing nothing doesn't benefit us in the long term. China has eyes on expansion and everything they do is geared towards that. China surpassing the U.S. as a super power won't bode well for the rest of the world.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Would you give us examples of EU and Japan actions of that kind (China is complicated, communist regimes have tricks up their sleeves)

EU and Japan mainly does it via subsidies, tariffs and regulations.

For example EU gives MASSIVE amount of money into farming mostly because of French farming sector wouldn''t survive without that.
EUROX for cars is also prime example of regulation based policies where you own companies are allowed for decades to brake it while everyone else had to do extra miles increasing prices etc. Now European cars will have to have truckload of electronic systems by 2020. While you might say it is for "safety" it is clear that this is mainly because of German car sector that doesn't want cheap cars from India (TATA) and other places, for US cars they don't even care about face and they set up high tarrifs.
Japan mostly set up tarrifs and regulate in way that making business is really hard for outsiders.
In both cases making business is not impossible but very hard to start and operate.

China doesn't give a fuck. They outright say that if you want to business in China you have to create new company or have some Chinese stake in your own company. This is why so many companies are selling themselves to China or selling part of their stock to Chinese owners. This is why Hollywood suddenly includes so many chinese people who barely speak english and so on.
In case of hollywood for example they do it because chinese allow only for like 10 spots for foreign movies, but you can sell part of your company or make new one with chinese stake in it and you can completely ignore those spots.

llien

For example EU gives MASSIVE amount of money into farming mostly because of French farming sector wouldn''t survive without that.

While it is true that EU gives MASSIVE amount of money into farming, it's not true, that France is the (only or main) reason.
Being able to produce enough food to feed your population is seen as having STRATEGIC importance (for obvious reasons).
Most subsidies per farmer go into Poland, by the way.

EUROX for cars is also prime example of regulation based policies where you own companies are allowed for decades to brake it while everyone else had to do extra miles increasing prices etc. Now European cars will have to have truckload of electronic systems by 2020. While you might say it is for "safety" it is clear that this is mainly because of German car sector that doesn't want cheap cars from India (TATA) and other places, for US cars they don't even care about face and they set up high tarrifs.
Japan mostly set up tarrifs and regulate in way that making business is really hard for outsiders.

Hmmm... Which rules are "your own companies allowed to brake"?
There is 20 years old NEDC standard for how much CO2/NoX/whatever cars can produce.
It is being replaced with WLTP (starting September this year).
Both are applied UNIVERSALLY to all cars sold in Europe.
A number of cars sold in Europe are actually not manufactured in Europe, e.g. none of Mazdas, Ford EcoSport (India, by the way).

All the tariffs are a matter of agreement, as people watching Trump should have figured by now, one side unilaterally imposing tariffs leads to retaliatory measures by others.

For disputes over "illegal subsidies" (or tariffs) there is WTO, here is the ruling on Boeing-Airbus row.

Trump is challenging status quo, stating that tariffs/subsidies within EXISTING AGREEMENTS are unfair towards USA. Which might or might not be the case, but you can't prove or disprove that by cherry picking a single (or a bunch) of subsidies/tariffs on either side, it's a rather complicated picture.

Last edited:

NickFire

The poor, uneducated americans knew exactly what rich, corporate lobbyists were doing and voted exactly for that. I'm sure many republicans knew exactly what they were doing, but I know a large portion of them were manipulated.
I'm having a tough time reconciling your argument with my memory of almost every single establishment republican and the like, all being vehemently opposed to Trump before the primaries ending, and continuing to criticize him after winning the nominations. From my memory they all expected him to lose, and most of those who mattered tried keeping themselves distanced from him to save their political career since they expected him to lose.

Top Bottom