• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Childhood further ruined: T-Rex likely hid its teeth behind lips

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkarafo

With teef?

The horror...
Yeah. Even their tongue has teeth.

cl2nrsY.png

I'm confused how anyone thought differently. No animal I can think of walks around with bared teeth, even when it's mouth is closed.

Edit: forgot about crocodiles. Never mind.

Odd that this is being talked about now as T-rex lips was sort of assumed 15 years ago. The pits in the skull around the mouth that would anchor fleshy lips to them was pointed out quite a long time ago.

Toxi

Banned
It's funny seeing people realize waterfowl have fucking creepy mouths for the first time.
Right. Isnt there any dna left?
No. DNA degrades extremely quickly. While we are finding more and more preserved soft tissue in dinosaurs, DNA is completely out of the question.

besada

Banned
Scientists discover that T-Rex carried a briefcase to work and listened to a KD Tunstall disc it bought from Starbucks, while picking up its morning Mochaccino with tiny, stubby arms.

If the realization that dinosaurs were animals and not monsters, (and looked as such in life), is enough to ruin someone's childhood, then I'm sorry, but it probably wasn't all that great to begin with. Not that anyone's was, really. Between getting high, having sex and, (much later of course), bombing down the left lane at 80+ mph, life is more fun now than it ever was as a kid. Fuck childhood.

Odd that this is being talked about now as T-rex lips was sort of assumed 15 years ago. The pits in the skull around the mouth that would anchor fleshy lips to them was pointed out quite a long time ago.

Yeah, even a cursory glance at the skull is pretty telling. The nutrient foramina on the dentary are lower down from the jaw margin, presumably so that the lips could accommodate the larger maxillary teeth when the jaws were closed:

John Conway, one of the artists, illustrated one of my favorite Tyrannosaurus pictures ever.

tyrannosaurus-rex.jpeg

*high five*

GAMEPROFF

Banned
John Conway, one of the artists, illustrated one of my favorite Tyrannosaurus pictures ever.
wattle.png

tumblr_mdqur507ge1rgw4eto1_500.jpeg

Childhood further ruined :(

Imagine at some point we can time travel, so we go back to see dinosaurs and they all look shitty and not like we imagined...

Ecotic

Raw skeletons always seem far more intimidating in our imaginations. Would you ever swim with this prehistoric murder machine?

It's actually just a common dolphin. Having soft tissue encasing crushing power doesn't make an animal less fierce by any means though. Jaguars still pack a powerful bite even if you can't see its teeth constantly.

Toxi

Banned
*high five*
I have a print of Conway's Sinovenator changii (Based on a painting of an owl) framed on my wall.

wattle.png

Imagine at some point we can time travel, so we go back to see dinosaurs and they all look shitty and not like we imagined...
Is this more your style?

apatosaurus-louisae.jpeg

The point of those crazy looking Sauropod illustrations, by the way, is to muse over the possibility of unpreserved soft tissue that would radically change the appearance of an animal.

It's funny seeing people realize waterfowl have fucking creepy mouths for the first time.

No. DNA degrades extremely quickly. While we are finding more and more preserved soft tissue in dinosaurs, DNA is completely out of the question.

There was a thread on this a while ago. Basically, there is no possible way for dinosaur DNA to survive until now. Megafauna from the ice age are the oldest animals we could go Jurassic Park on.

I have a print of Conway's Sinovenator changii (Based on a painting of an owl) framed on my wall.

Great choice!

I'd put John Conway in the same league as Doug Henderson, (the GOAT), and Charles Knight as one of the relatively few artists to achieve a truly believable and naturalistic portrayal of dinosaurs, (and other extinct beasties), based on the best knowledge available at the time. Emily Willoughby will soon be in the conversation, too.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is there an good and interesting blog about dinosaurs that isnt to much for archeologists (=a ordinary person understands what is written)?

it's so freaky that these monsters actually existed, for millions and millions of years. they were as real as you and i, breathing the same air and drinking the same water..

trips me out whenever i think about it. we live in a weird fucking corner of the universe.

W-00

What THE FUCK is this?!

It looks like some sort of toucan that's gotten a mouthful of marshmallows.

This is already true. I've read things over the years about how they're slower than we thought and that they just ate already dead animals. Just a big slow softie (with poisonously bad breath).

The whole "just a scavenger" thing has been conclusively debunked. Paleontologists have found a T. rex tooth embedded in a hadrosaur tail bone that showed signs of healing. Only way that could have happened was if the hadrosaur survived the encounter.

Cuburt

wattle.png

A real life Jurassic Park was probably already created and then scrapped because the dinosaurs came out looking stupid and not scary enough.

If the realization that dinosaurs were animals and not monsters, (and looked as such in life), is enough to ruin someone's childhood, then I'm sorry, but it probably wasn't all that great to begin with

It's really weird how we attribute societal gender stereotypes on to giant reptiles that lived millions of years ago.

"T-REX DIDN'T HAVE FEATHERS! HE WASN'T A PUSSY!"

Hypron

Wouldn't that be even more terrifying? Like, it's getting close to you and starts opening its mouth, slowly revealing its enormous teeth. It'd make you shit your pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom