• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China to build ginormous buses that cars can drive under

Status
Not open for further replies.

ili0926

I did a search and couldn't find anything...

Check this out: http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/02/china-to-build-ginormous-buses-that-cars-can-drive-under-video/

Seriously, this is the future that China's envisioning: huge friggin' buses engulfing smaller cars on the road. Despite the silly picture and the eccentric "3D Express Coach" branding, this cunning project by Shenzhen Huashi Future Parking Equipment actually makes sense. The idea is to make use of the space between regular-size cars and bridges, thus saving construction costs as well as minimizing congestion impact by allowing cars to drive underneath these jumbo buses.

hugebus202082010.jpg

Looks really neat! Basically it's kinda like a subway on the road that goes above the regular traffic.

N.B. The thing is on rails so it's more of a streetcar than a bus.

Ferrio

Banned
After seeing that one video about chinese drivers, I'd say this a bad idea.

Hell it's a bad idea period. Like I'd wanna trust some jackass to drive under me.

Would suck coming up to an intersection or highway exit and being stuck under one of these when you need to turn :lol

How about curved roads in general, they'd have to be retrofitted, no?

X26

Banned
I think it's a good idea, going horizontal in a densely populated area can ease some of the issues

kevm3

Pretty cool idea until you need to turn but you can't because you have a giant bus hovering over you and boxing you in.

anyone notice all the models in the movie are caucasian?

and did anyone actually watch the video? Alot of these questions would be answered.

Mudkips

Banned
What if you're under the bus and the bus needs to turn / make a lane change / etc. and you don't?

Does the bus have a door that drops down in the back to prevent people from entering to avoid this?

Does the bus have a door in the front that is linked with the door in the back and a sensor on the underside to prevent angry bus drivers from swallowing and trapping cars?

These are the questions of our time.

Edit: Watched the video and tried to make some sense of it.

So are these things bound to rails on the side of the road? If so, then they're just non-elevated elevated trains, with a skirt.

What's to prevent someone from running into the under side of a bus and hanging on to something in an attempt to get a free ride?

Dali

Doesn't seem like it allows much margin for error on the car driver's or the bus driver's behalf.

Ferrio said:
It may go straight, cars don't always go straight.

Just don't have the bus pull all the way up to the intersection. Have the driver leave a car or two length in front. That way there is plenty of room to turn.

Ehm, why not just put a railway above the road and put a train there :S

You can bet some trucks will get stuck under this thing on a daily basis.

ClosingADoor said:
Ehm, why not just put a railway above the road and put a train there :S

You can bet some trucks will get stuck under this thing on a daily basis.

Looks like this meant for more of an urban setting anyways.

Ferrio

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
Just don't have the bus pull all the way up to the intersection. Have the driver leave a car or two length in front. That way there is plenty of room to turn.

Not talking about turning.

ili0926

Okay I think I should update in the OP that the thing is on rails...it's more like a streetcar than a bus really.

Ferrio said:
Not talking about turning.

Ok you take the bus up the road until your destination is parallel to you. You then take another bus straight the other direction.

Again this seems to be meant for urban settings, not something like route 60.

me Jojo

Who cares if it's dangerous and can cause several accidents, that thing looks stupid as hell. :lol

Also isn't supposed to be a tram cars can ride under, because it's kind of on rails?

Dali

The_Inquisitor said:
Yeah but bro these things aren't going to be going as fast.
Things on rails aren't immune to errors by their operators or outside influences is the point. Person in a car somehow ends up straddling the track or hits the "bus" while it's going overhead and you've suddenly got yourself a wreck similar to an overpass collapsing. I didn't even see any guardrails and if they are trying to take advantage of the tiny space between lanes, then I don't see how they will be in the final designs.

On a separate note, is this some sort of concerted "bro" attack?

Doytch

Why do people think this is more dangerous than a regular bus? As a driver, you'd have to veer into the bus while driving under it, just as you'd have to veer into a regular bus from the side. Except now you can't rear end it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom