• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China to build ginormous buses that cars can drive under

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKyle07

No offense, but a lot of you naysayers sound thick as shit. Try watching the video maybe? These guys know what they're doing.

Pimpwerx

Mudkips said:
If there is a car under the bus and the bus needs to make a tight turn, the car is fucked.
I wasn't aware the buses would turn. Besides appearing to be on rails (like a tram or trolley), it also seems far too long to make any sort of turn. It would take up the entire intersection, even with all-wheel stearing. PEACE.

EDIT: Nevermind. I don't think the video loaded when I first went there. Looking at the video, it makes sense. It's got flashing lights like a regular bus. It will take some instruction, but seems like a really nice way to get mass transit to work in a crowded city. We could use those in Miami.

The chinese driving videos are pretty spot on. Have spent lot of time for work in China and my god it's like there is no traffic laws. Not a day went by that I didn't see multiple traffic accidents in front of my eyes. Almost every visit I took, a cab I was in would get into a fender bender but no one would ever get out and everyone just kept going. Never seen any form of police enforcing any type of traffic law either.

Srider

Banned
People who know about China will realize that the chance of cars running into this bus is much smaller than the chance of this bus getting stuck at intersections during gridlocks.

It's a great idea if they can figure out a way to prevent drivers from staying out of the intersection when there are already cars stuck in it.

According to the video, this project is already underway and will begin construction by end of the year.

Reading through the thread, some people simply don't understand the landscape this design is based on.

This is a bus, not a train, it will be able to turn 90 degrees because... they are building this in Beijing, and people who have been to Beijing will know that the roads there are fucking huge. Some times you will see 6 lanes in 1 direction. Based on the video it seems like this will be constructed on a brand new road system. I just wonder what the rails look like.

Bentendo

*install giant ramp on car #1*
*stop car #1 in road*
*go super fast with car #2*

I expect this to happen within the first day. :(

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
This is a great idea. I just talked to my family and found out they are planning on spending roughly $6 billion USD to expand the Washington DC mass transit system (metro) out to Dulles from east falls church - which works out to just under 20 miles. Even if they only ever get phase 1 done, that's $2.5 billion, or roughly $125 million per mile. That's insane.

Korey

Mudkips said:
If there is a car under the bus and the bus needs to make a tight turn, the car is fucked.
OH MAN WHY DIDN'T THEY THINK OF THAT BEFORE THEY STARTED BUILDING?

Then the bus won't make a tight turn at that location. What the fuck?

Holy shit guys, this is currently being built (in real life), and there are engineers (who - gasp - do this for a living) designing and constructing the system. I think it's going to work.

shaowebb

Imagine passing one of these buses only to discover right as your going to pull in front of it that someone was wearing the bus as a hat and they appear right in the spot you were trying to pull into.

You see a car coming in your lane, and the other car cant be passed in time.

Slowing down in order to fall behind the bus , and get back into the lane is not an option since the bus is to long to make it in time.

What do?

.GqueB.

Banned
Christ put one of those on 23rd street in NYC. Fucking please god.

btw...

did anyone else read: "China to build ginormous buses that can drive underwater", click the thread, look at the picture and think "where the fuck is the water?".

.GqueB. said:
did anyone else read: "China to build ginormous buses that can drive underwater", click the thread, look at the picture and think "where the fuck is the water?".

whoa. Did the thread title get a change? Because I totally remember seeing underwater too.

Akuun said:
I think this is a pretty cool idea.

I guess they don't have these in China

Mack-Truck1.jpg

Jex

Keep laughing GAF. When you see one of these roll down your street, you'll realise the world has changed.

Brashnir

thetechkid said:
Until Jackie Chan does a chase scene on, through, above, under one it's not real.

My first thought when I saw it was "I wish these were around when Jackie Chan was in his prime..."

ajim

Why would you do that? said:
At first, I thought the title meant drive under the bus the other way, in between the front and back wheels. Like, you know how some trucks are so high that you could crawl under them.

I thought that was a brilliantly bad idea.

What the heck was this about?

That vid is ridiculous. The drivers, cyclists and pedestrians were ALL to blame in nearly every scene. Idiots.

Cipherr

The_Inquisitor said:
Then wtf is the problem GAF? It's obviously only going to work down straightaways.

Because people cant fucking drive. Its pretty but people will smash into the side of that thing all of the time. I can see it now.

eso76

Why would people crash into its sides ? it's as wide as the entire 2 lanes, the chances of people crashing into its sides are the same as people crashing into barriers.

Can't wait for them to appear in some action movie.

Monocle

A lot of you guys are ignoring the most important fact about this vehicle: it looks fucking cool. The future has arrived.

Yeef

Is it bad that my first thought was about a heist movie wherein they sneak on board by climbing up from a car underneath?

What happens if a too high truck drives under such a bus? I wouldn't want to be one of the passengers when the truck roof cuts me in half.

agrajag

Banned
it's very simple guys. When the "bus" stops at a light, don't come under it. Stay behind the bus just like you would with any regular bus. it only has that opening so you could pass it if you need to when it's moving in a straight line.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
agrajag said:
it's very simple guys. When the "bus" stops at a light, don't come under it. Stay behind the bus just like you would with any regular bus. it only has that opening so you could pass it if you need to when it's moving in a straight line.
You know what else is simple? Slowing down for yellow lights and stopping at red lights.

agrajag

Banned
water_wendi said:
You know what else is simple? Slowing down for yellow lights and stopping at red lights.

Or not stopping on railroad tracks. Let's pretend that there aren't many driving hazards already out there that 99% of people manage to avoid just to bash this idea.

Mockingbird said:
What happens when the road curves or when you need to make a turn and you're under the bus?

I take it they have that covered in their plans. Maybe it's only on a straight road? Or maybe they have stop signs hanging under the bus.

Mockingbird said:
What happens when the road curves or when you need to make a turn and you're under the bus? Most women would die.
Stop and wait for the bus to drive away or turn with the bus. But what if the bus turns left and you want to go right?!!!! WHAT THEN?!

numble

This really is better described as a monorail that goes above the lanes.

Anyway, I've seen Beijing remove all the old buses and a whole class of taxis off the road in 3 years from 2005 to the Olympics, and install no-turn, bus priority lanes in places where there was just normal traffic, so this might also not be as difficult as it seems to implement.

As bad as traffic can be in some places in China, they can instill order on certain lanes when they really want to, usually in the form of gated medians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom