• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese Steam Game 'Once Human' target of player scrytiny after it was discovered the game is riddled with Spyware

Draugoth

Gold Member
once-human-pc-jogo-steam-cover.jpg

image.png

via MirrorUK

Starry Studio's Once Human was all set for a successful launch, but its release has been overshadowed by the terms of service that cite access to players' government ID as well as other personal info that set off red flags in the playerbase.

The excitement around Once Human and its post-apocalyptic, 'new weird' take on the sandbox survival genre has been eclipsed by the game's terms of service, which players are actually taking the time to read for once. Available on Steam, PC gamers are clutching their pearls when faced with Once Human's data collection policies in its terms of service and decrying it for an invasion of privacy at best, and an identity stealing, crypto mining, spyware-installing scam at worst. All because Starry Studios is part of the Chinese conglomerate NetEase.

GShDKrSWIAA5frD
GShDKrOWEAAoDFk

But this particular campaign against NetEase seems to be rooted in racial fearmongering more than genuine concern over Once Human's data collection policy. You only need to look at Steam reviews and the community posts for that to become apparent. "This publisher sounded so Chinese with such personal data demands," says one, unlike Blizzard's incredibly American ToS which stands for freedom, patriotism, and bald eagles everywhere, while also asking for your government-issued ID where applicable. Or this one, calling the game Chinese spyware. Another post declares that Starry Studio is owned by NetEase, and NetEase is owned by China; ergo it's reasonable "to conclude that the government controls it's actions."​

HL3.exe

NetEase wouldn't risk such a thing. A loss in trust could mean a devastating blow to the company long term.

BUT, I could be wrong and the devs are doing something really fucked, that slipped by NetEase.

Edit: Steam has got to do it's due diligence and do a background check on these supposed files. They're liable too if they're providing unwanted spyware via their platform.

Last edited:

nikos

I've looked into this, as I've played the game, and it doesn't seem to be an issue. At least not from what I've read so far.

From what I've read, the two processes that appear in startup are related to AppsFlyer and are from code that is meant for the mobile version of the game. What they do is count how many times the game has been launched.

The actual processes don't lead to anything else, so I don't think AppsFlyer is accessing your PC but here's a guide on how to block them completely: https://steamcommunity.com/app/2139460/discussions/0/6256146068610218929

Devs should address this either way.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
This is why I'm not getting any chinese and russian game... I know USA do the same but after seeing what those countries did in mine I rather have USA stay on top

Last edited:

Filben

Firefox given me security warning when trying to access Starry Studio's website because of wrong times and dates of the website and the certificate could be expired. Could be nothing but still looks amateurish.

Apart from that, here's their response to one of the negative reviews:
We would only use personal data if we have a legitimate legal basis, such as providing requested services or acting with your expressed consent. We will only use your data lawfully and reasonably and in accordance with local legal compliance requirements, while practicing the data privacy principles such as data minimization, purpose limitation, and transparency.
Okay, "legitimate legal basis" varies from country to country. What my country considers illegal, could be legal in their country and they could be completely oblivious to it. Then, "lawfully [...] in accordance with local legal compliance"; what is "local" here? China? Then I guess the "requirements" aren't high. They have a completely different understanding of privacy then most of the western countries. Why should I trust these words? Anything else than my country and/or EU is irrelevant. They should comply to EU laws but they don't cite which exact laws they abide by.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Jesus fucking Christ, some of the takes here, my goodness.

Yep, it's so much better than your phone conversations on whatsapp are automatically picked up by Google that right away finds exciting Youtube videos for you.

But fuck Chinese spies. I am gonna post it to my followers on Tik Tok. Tik Tok, made in Arkansas.

Hudo

Valve should develop something like Easy Anti Cheat but for detecting obfuscated/deliberately hidden processes coming with Steam apps.

I don't know if I have any information left that spy and hacks have not already taken from me.
AT&T had a massive hack recently too. What more do they need to know? What I had for breakfast?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
For any case like this, Valve should audit and if the claims hold truth the developer should be permanently banned from the platform. The publisher should receive a warning and future ban if any other titles they publish have any malicious software.

winjer

Gold Member
Funny that there's no outrage over what Microsoft, Google and Apple do.

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Yes there is a lot of outrage regarding those companies. For example, Microsoft got a huge backlash over the Recall feature they were planning for 24H2.
So don't try to lie and pretend that people only care about Chinese spyware.

Still, there is one big difference. Apple, Google and Microsoft want to make extra money from our data.
The CCP is an authoritarian regime, that is ideologically opposed to democratic values. And their goals are much more pernicious than anything that Apple, Google or MS want to.

Wildebeest

Only the best quality, legitimate Chinese software. Fully verified by a panel of industry expert streamers on twitch.tv.

Last edited:
Top Bottom