• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christian Leaders Denounce Trump's Plan To Favor Christian Immigrants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/29/u...prod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

“We believe in assisting all, regardless of their religious beliefs,” said Bishop Joe S. Vásquez, the chairman of the committee on migration for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Jen Smyers, the director of policy and advocacy for the immigration and refugee program of Church World Service, a ministry affiliated with dozens of Christian denominations, called Friday a “shameful day” in America’s history.

It remains to be seen whether Mr. Trump’s executive order will find more support in the pews. During the campaign, Mr. Trump successfully mined many voters’ concern about national security and fear of Muslims. He earned the votes of four out of every five white evangelical Christians, and a majority of white Catholics, exit polls showed.

Ogodei

White catholics largely don't give a fuck about what their faith leadership says. Many are just evangelical fundies with rosaries at this point.

Leviticus 19:33-34: ”‘When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God."

Christians supporting this ban do so in spite of the faith they claim to hold so dear, but hey, that's nothing new for right-wing Christians in America.

Ominym

Banned
Weren't the Southern Baptists also quite against Trump's stance? Found a link. Glad to see people considered a hard "lock" by most Republicans standing up to them.

Chumly

White catholics largely don't give a fuck about what their faith leadership says. Many are just evangelical fundies with rosaries at this point.
This. At this point they must as well break off from the church because they don't give a shit what the pope says or anyone else. They support anti abortionists but that's it.

And on top of that, the Catholic Church skirts telling Catholics to vote Republican because of abortion (and other issues).

That's not entirely true. White right wing Catholics are basically that. The statement ignores a huge swathe who are mostly liberal outside of the abortion issues. A lot of those are the ones who make a decent portion of the purple in red states.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I honestly cannot believe that so many American Christians, who seem to be so worried about possible persecution, want the United States government to be able to literally ask you what God you believe in and treat you differently as a result.

YUUUUUPP. We're pissed:

“Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me." Matthew 25:45b

https://twitter.com/FocusFamily/status/825728140731305985

Regardless of policy changes, we will always welcome refugees. http://bit.ly/2j6ie5o | #WeWelcomeRefugees

https://twitter.com/WorldRelief/status/824393282239262721

RESOLVED, That the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention meeting in St. Louis, Missouri, June 14–15, 2016, encourage Southern Baptists to minister care, compassion, and the Gospel to refugees who come to the United States; and be it further

RESOLVED, That we encourage Southern Baptist churches and families to welcome and adopt refugees into their churches and homes as a means to demonstrate to the nations that our God longs for every tribe, tongue, and nation to be welcomed at His throne (Revelation 5:9; Revelation 7:9–12; Psalms 68:5; James 1:27; Leviticus 25:35; Leviticus 19: 33–34); and be it further

RESOLVED, That we call on the governing authorities to implement the strictest security measures possible in the refugee screening and selection process, guarding against anyone intent on doing harm; and be it finally

RESOLVED, That we affirm that refugees are people loved by God, made in His image, and that Christian love should be extended to them as special objects of God’s mercy in a world that has displaced them from their homelands.

http://www.sbc.net/resolutions/2273/on-refugee-ministry

One of the most vital things an American Christian can do right now is resist the hijacking of Christian faith by American nationalism.

https://twitter.com/BrianZahnd/status/814301304625528832

"America first" is not a Christian value.

https://twitter.com/PrestonSprinkle/status/825578996708421632

Together, representing our various faiths, we decry derogatory language that has been used about Middle Eastern refugees and our Muslim friends and neighbors. Inflammatory rhetoric has no place in our response to this humanitarian crisis. We ask our elected officials and candidates for office to recognize that new Americans of all faiths and backgrounds contribute to our economy, our community, and our congregations. Refugees are an asset to this country. They are powerful ambassadors of the American Dream and our nation’s founding principles of equal opportunity, religious freedom, and liberty and justice for all.

http://www.interfaithimmigration.org/religiousleaderletter/

Muslims may not share our faith in Christ but they are neighbors. And Christ COMMANDS us to love our neighbors.

#ChristiansAgainstMuslimBan

https://twitter.com/EugeneCho/status/825746357289832448

I can keep going...

That's not entirely true. White right wing Catholics are basically that. The statement ignores a huge swathe who are mostly liberal outside of the abortion issues. A lot of those are the ones who make a decent portion of the purple in red states.

Almost as if people have their opinions and then will use whatever they can to justify their original position.

G.ZZZ

Leviticus 19:33-34: “‘When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God."

Christians supporting this ban do so in spite of the faith they claim to hold so dear, but hey, that's nothing new for right-wing Christians in America.

You really really don't want to quote leviticus. Really.

Zen Aku

I wonder does it kill the alt-right Christians on the inside to learn that the chairman of the committee on migration last name is Vazquéz, a Hispanic last name.

That the Pope also denounces Trump's executive order.

I hope these Priests, Bishops and Monsignors are talking about this in today's masses across the country and world.

Because a lot of these phony Christian church-goers voted for the asshole making all these decisions.

American Right Wing only use Christianity as a tool. They dont practice it.

Remember when they dog pilled The Pope when Pope Francis called Trump non christian a year ago?

As a Christian, Trump offends with everything he says. He is not a true Christian, similar to most people in politics are not true believers. He is the exact type of person Jesus did not come down to save.

Shadybiz

Fucking good. Hopefully SOME of their followers actually listen.

I honestly cannot believe that so many American Christians, who seem to be so worried about possible persecution, want the United States government to be able to literally ask you what God you believe in and treat you differently as a result.

The cognitive dissonance is astounding. My wife's idiot aunt (through marriage), claims to be a very religious person...was not willing to accept the fact that Jesus and his family were refugees. ...Ummm...yeah, you're beyond help.

Leviticus 19:33-34: “‘When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God."

Very nice reference. It's pretty clear that many of the "faithful" have never actually read the Bible...or simply pick and choose portions of it that fit their particular beliefs, and jettison the rest.

stuminus3

This is why I think so many of you are wrong to go full "Richard Dawkins".

You can be absolutely sure a very large majority of people out there marching, donating etc identify as being Christian. I can guarantee many of them are out there because they're Christian.

I'm an atheist, by the way.

Garlador

As a Christian...

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in..." - Matthew 25:35

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." - James 1:27

"If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday." - Isaiah 58:10

"“If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be." - Deuteronomy 15:7

"And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise." - Luke 3:11

"Whoever despises his neighbor is a sinner, but blessed is he who is generous to the poor." - Proverbs 14:21

"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy." - Ezekiel 16:49

"Whoever closes his ear to the cry of the poor will himself call out and not be answered." - Proverbs 21:23

"Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." - Galatians 6:2

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." - John 15:12

And on and on and on it goes.

Any self-professed Christian should be outraged at a law that turns away those in need of our aid when we are more than qualified to provide it.

Torokil

Catholic leaders are nothing like the Southern Evangelicals. Those guys are ready for another Crusade at this point.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The article's two citations are horrible examples since both are literally immigration advocates. What other conclusion would they have?

The link showing that the massive Southern Baptist Convention voted in favor of refugees last summer is far more significant in terms of understanding larger evangelical sentiment but it wasn't done recently.

I think the jury might still be out on how evangelicals feel about all this.

Also just because they'd be against this course of action, doesn't mean they'd necessarily vote for a Democrat

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

"Leviticus is for the homos. Revelations is for the darkies. Matthew is for the god fearing white folks. Except for the women. Little bit of Leviticus if they get out of line."

sphagnum

Banned
Right wing Christianity is a brood of vipers infested with heretics.

"Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"

Very nice reference. It's pretty clear that many of the "faithful" have never actually read the Bible...or simply pick and choose portions of it that fit their particular beliefs, and jettison the rest.

That's kind of hilarious given that you're talking about the book of Leviticus. We should be fucking thankful that Christians largely ignore that.

Beartruck

White Catholic here. You are right that we don't give a fuck what the leadership thinks, but in my case that means I ignore their bullshit about hating gay people and also think this bullshit is wrong. But please, continue generalizing hundreds of millions of people.

Hale-XF11

Case in point, my catholic parents are jumping for joy at the fact that Trump is trying to keep Muslims out of the country.

Look at this gem of an email I woke up to this morning from my father:

after 8 years of Obama hurting our country, I am sure trump will make our country safer and build our economy and jobs. I hate the way our country has become divided by the great divider Obama......WHEN GOING GETS TUFF THE TUFF GETS GOING

Right wing Christianity is a brood of vipers infested with heretics.

"Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"

Right wing Christianity has perverted the word of God. Anybody that says God wants or love white only, straights only, Christians only, Americans only is delusional, stupid, crazy, psychotic, and dangerous.

slit

Case in point, my catholic parents are jumping for joy at the fact that Trump is trying to keep Muslims out of the country.

Look at this gem of an email I woke up to this morning from my father:

If your father hates the way the country is divided tell him he ain't seen nothing yet!

Mhmm, especially not some Catholic bigwigs.

The religious right in America is just a hate group that holds up a Bible occasionally to justify their actions to themselves. They don't care about the parts that keep them from hating people.

I also expect a common excuse will be "but the pope doesn't like LGBT people either!" from people who don't understand how arguments work.

My father is Catholic married to a Muslim. I respect her and love her as my step-mom. Trump is the very antithesis of American values and Christian beliefs.

True true...we're kind of ALL going to Hell if we go by everything Leviticus says, huh? :)

I truly believe that most people make moral decisions either with their gut or based on what their parents/peers believe, and then find justifications after the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom